With Hopes Of Starting Over Review

4.8
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
With Hopes Of Starting Over Reviewed by: system, on september 27, 2003

Overall Impression: This is The Starting Line's debut E.P. on Drive-Thru records. Put simply, it's great. It has a much more raw sound than their new cd, Say it Like You Mean it. Less produced, i'd say. So, it starts out with the original version of "Leaving". One of the first songs i learned on guitar, actually. They really shouldn't have re-recorded it for the new cd. It sounds much better here. The second track is the other song that was re-recorded for the new cd, "Saddest Girl Story". Nothing special. The third song, coincidentally named "Three's a Charm", is definetely the climax of the cd. It starts out with a nice acoustic intro, good bass, and then WHAM! into the verse. It has a really catchy chorus (what am i talking about, ALL the starting line choruses are catchy) that makes good use of the singer Kenny Vasoli's almost unnaturally high voice. Then comes "Greg's Last Day", a song about one of Kenny's good friends moving away. It's a fast, catchy 2 minute song. Pretty decent. They close the cd with a cover of a pop song from the 80's, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". I read somewhere that they wanted to cover it because they heard it on a hits compilation in a used cd rack. I also read that they never play it live because it's really hard to sing. It has a good solo in the middle, I guess a mediocre cover of a song that I never heard the original version of. Overall, a good debut cd. It's really worth the 7 bucks. A very good example of raw, poppy poppy poppy punk-emo. Run out and get it if you're a fan of bands like New Found Glory, Yellowcard, All-American Rejects, etc. // 8

With Hopes Of Starting Over Reviewed by: asongforthegirl, on november 21, 2005

Sound: Okay the sound is definitley pop punk at it's purest form. Simple and catchy. There's nothing wrong with simple, and it was okay. The CD is their first, and they did it with 15 which adds on some major props. I would definitley say this is one of the best EP's I've heard. The whole record is pretty much pop punk. My favorite song is def. the remake, it shows some of the talent these guys actually have. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty darn good. Their mainly about girls, or about moving away. Stuff I can definetly relate too, which just makes em' even better. The music sometimes seems to not completely fit the mood that the singer is trying to get throuhg, thus the 9 on lyrics. The singer has obvious talent and any flaws or stuff that goes wrong, he makes up for with his great voice. // 9

Overall Impression: This compares to pretty much any pop punk band. Please note this is nothing original, but the riffs are catchy so it keeps you coming back for more. The most impressive song as I stated earlier is def. either Greg's Last Day, or the remake, Nothing Is Going To Stop Us Now. I love the pop punk feel. For some reason I wish that they would have done something a lil more musically powerful, but that's just more or less a personal desire so I'm not going to dock them from rating in this category. The singer and lyrics are great. If I lost this or it got stolen, I would buy it again in a heart beat. // 9

More Starting Line reviews rating latest review