Cannibal Review

static-x: Cannibal
Release Date: Apr 3, 2007
Label: Reprise Records
Genres: Industrial Metal
The band's self-described back-to-basics sound actually is at its best when guitarist Koichi Fukuda gets creative with his solos.
 7.8
 8.1
 7.4
Cannibal Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 12, 2007

Sound: With their trademark sampling and keyboards in tow, Static-X has returned to the industrial rock scene with its latest record Cannibal. While most of the songs remain true to sound you've come to expect from frontman and primary songwriter Wayne Static, it's the return of original guitarist Koichi Fukuda that really adds life to the new CD. There has been talk that Cannibal is a back-to-basics approach, and in many ways it does have a stripped-down sound with a bit less of an electronica feel. While that does give Static-X a bit more of an edgy sound, there are times when the songs feel a bit repetitive due to the same chords being played over and over again. The songs No Submission Chromatic set the perfect tone for the record, simply by the fact that the band colors the verses up a bit, breaking the monotony of the same repeating guitar chord. There is a subtle, computer-like keyboard part that pops in about halfway through the verse, making it the most interesting part of the song. There is nothing wrong with just a guitar-driven chorus, but Static-X does seem to get fixated on some chords. If the band can steer away from stepping in this hole and change the music up just a bit through layering tracks or trying out some unusual chords, it might be a bit more effective. The best moments actually come when guitarist Fukuda steps into to shred. The solos that Fukuda creates feel in some ways like the polar opposite of Wayne Static's approach to songwriting, and it's a perfect contrast of styles. Fukuda makes the most of every solo, combining an emotional quality with his technical ability. Static-X's fans don't have to worry about a huge change to the core of the band's sound, either. Ninety percent of the song is absolutely Wayne's creation, and Fukuda's songwriting input (the solo work) simply adds a little life for the remaining duration of the songs. The dedicated fans of Static-X should find Cannibal a satisfying return to the scene, particularly in the wake of multiple lineup changes of the years. The apparent back-to-basics sound isn't so dramatic that will scare those fans away either. If the band can explore the possibility of adding more subtle lead guitar additions over the choruses and verses (the finale Team Hate does a fantastic job of this), then it's likely they can progress even more as songwriters in the future. // 7

Lyrics: Much like the quick-punch vocal delivery from Static, the lyrics have the same short and sweet feel. The majority of songs on Cannibal contain lines that have 1, maybe 2 words in them. This style definitely is a perfect fit for the music underneath the songs, although at times the lyrics can be a tad predictable. The best example comes in Behemoth, where most of the lyrical lines are almost like stream of consciousness ideas that pop into Static's head. He sings, Blocking; Cocking; Smoking; Choking; Get louder; Get higher; Get true to form -- Behemoth. They definitely have a testosterone-fueled energy to them, which will probably appeal to some listeners out there. There is a simplicity about the lyrics that translates well in terms of how it sounds in the songs, but it doesn't really cover any new territory. In Forty Ways, it does have some common themes spread throughout. Static sings, Drink all day; f--k all day; Crush all day; Grind away. Although we've heard these lines in one form or another before, Static-X's songs do have an aggressive quality that makes the lyrics more forgivable. // 7

Overall Impression: Static-X definitely has a sound of its own and that in itself is a fantastic thing in metal. There are plenty of bands that shy away from sampling of any kind, so hearing a band still rock hard with the addition of some added Akai effects is a nice change of pace. Although it seems there isn't quite as much sampling this time around, the moments when you hear a grooving sampled hook underneath a verse it just gives the song a bit more identity. Without question, guitarist Fukuda is responsible for the most memorable moments on Cannibal. While there are some great songwriting ideas that Wayne Static brought to the table (particularly on No Submission), Fukuda leads the songs in a wild, spontaneous direction that easily steals the show. It's understandable if Static doesn't want to adorn the music he's created too much because the band has become recognizable for its trademark industrial sound, but he also shouldn't fear taking a risk here and there. With Fukuda injecting his technical prowess in the band, it will be exciting to hear what Static-X will come up with in future records. // 7

Cannibal Reviewed by: Sintera666, on april 17, 2007

Sound: OK. I boyght this album about three days ago, and in honesty, on the first listen, I thought to myself, "What the hell! I think I bought a CD full of fillers!" It starts of all heavy, but I can't help but admit that every song begins to sound the same. The sound is great, I love their Industrial Metal Heaviness, and in further inspection, the CD becomes bareable after a few listens. Personally, Cannibal, Chemical Logic, and maybe Destroyer are the only songs I really like, but everything sounds like fillers crambed into a CD! I feel there was a lack of effort put into this CD! // 7

Lyrics: OK, has anyone really read the lyrics while listening to the song? If you havn't, then maybe you should, you will realize something. I could have wrote this! That is not a compliment, my english is bad enough, listening to this album makes me go brain dead, and not because it's Heavy. The chorus is almost always the same, Wayne Static just screaming the song title over again. Now, I love Wayne Static, the guys got a unique singing style, but someone please give him some lyrics to sing, not just words! The only time Wayne actually roles with the song is in Destroyer. But even that, he says, "Oh! You do it again! Destroyer!" over and over again, I don't mind it all that much, it does get annoying though. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is not a must buy, it's amazing that it is even on the billboard charts! Now, in Chemical Logic, the guitarists could have done more than a simple riff! Everytime I listen to it I think, "Hey, I can play that on my guitar!" That isn't a compliment either. They must be one of the easiest bands to play a guitar too! So basically, you can tell I am most disappointed. I have Start A War and that isn't great but it's better than this CD. If someone were to steal this album from me, I would just laugh while I watched them run away. Oh! one more thing! I was so disappointed with this CD that I went back and bought the Pantera greatest Hits CD, I should have bought that instead, but I spent nearly 30 dollars on both CD's. Thank you Static-X, you guys are the masters of making money off almost descent albums! // 6

Cannibal Reviewed by: lostprophets63, on april 12, 2007

Sound: Wayne Static and co are back. Armed with heavy guitars, wicked solos, and knives. Hide the children and grab a fork, because they're hungry. Cannibal. It's not without it's faults, so don't come expecting another Wisconsin Death Trip, but it's certainly a step (bite) in the right direction. I've always loved the Evil Disco. My first Static-X album was actually Start A War, which was pretty cool but got old fast. Next, a few random songs, then I finally got my hands on Wisconsin Death Trip. Static-X has moved on, like it or not, and we're not going to get another WDT. That's not to say Cannibal is a dissapointment, any Static-X fan will rejoice, because Cannibal kicks much harder than Start A War. Most of the songs are just incredibly addicting. The Static-X sound is known for simple verses and such, but they've stepped up a bit. There's a great deal of energy in almost every song, something that many bands lack. As always, the drumming is fast and disco-like, which really pumps the songs. So far I haven't seen the bowel-shattering bass from WDT, though. There's plenty of techno-ish sound effects which are nice, but I do miss the heavy odd industrial feel, the album feels a bit stripped down. But the solos certainly make up for that. They've gone from next to no solos to a solo in almost every song. First time I listened to the album, I thought it was overkill, but when you listen again they really grow on you. The solo in Cannibal was drool-worthy enough, if ears can drool. Others would be No Submission, Behemoth, Cuts You Up. For a first attempt at solos, they're all well-thought out and sound great, never contrasting or breaking against the rest of the song. There's probably more- I've only listened to the album a couple of times. // 9

Lyrics: I've never known Wayne for his lyrical prowess. Don't come looking for Shakespeare or anything, if you want Shakespeare in your music you've got other problems. Take the lines like "Rip it stronger grind it longer/ Harder faster rabbit master" from Cannibal. No clue what that means, but coming from Wayne it's not that far off. Other lines like "Turn around/ Freak out/ Drop out/ Go again" just fit in with the music, even if you're left wondering what any of it means. Vocal wise, I've always been fond of Wayne's voice. The angry shredded whisper, that's as close as I can put it into words. As always, his voice really fits in with the music. The style isn't as varied as in, say, WDT, but I say his singing skills have evolved since Start A War. // 8

Overall Impression: This just may be my favorite Static-X album. Don't get me wrong, I mean, Wisconsin Death Trip is in a class by itself. Never got Machine or Shadow Zone, unfortunately. Start A War was okay, but it got old pretty fast. Cannibal, on the other hand, just sounds so much more promising. My favorite songs so far would be: Cannibal, No Submission, Behemoth, Cuts You Up, Chroma-Matic, and Destroyer. The only one I don't care for is Reptile, it's a bit out there and might take a few more listens before I either like it or I don't. The only true negative to this album is that it's short. About thiry-six minutes. Twelve tracks, the longest one being 3:51. So there's always the factor that once you listen to this album for a month, you might get sick of it and never touch it again, i.e. Start A War. Though I think that might not be the case this time. If this album were stolen/lost, I'd definitely buy it again. Besides the fact that it's already on iTunes and my iPod, and I wouldn't lose it anyways. This album is addicting and deserves to be heard, but if anyone stole it from me I'd break out a shovel (Gasp! 'I'm With Stupid' reference) and hunt them down. To Static-X fans, grab this album. It's definitely worth it. To Static-X haters, go ahead and stay ignorant, but know that you're missing out. To the random few reading this review for no apparent reason, at least check out the singles and decide if cannibalism is for you. // 8

Cannibal Reviewed by: Zabel102359, on april 12, 2007

Sound: Ok, Static-X? Always a good listen if you're into the metal scene. Their music has always had good riffs and cool lyrics thrown together and placed ever so perfectly to make what they are today. If you're a big fan of their original stuff Cannibal is the album to buy. It seems that when thinking of what to do with Cannibal they just chucked all their plans out the window and completely started from where they first began. The mix of their catchy tunes, crazy techno beats, and awesome riffs have created another amazing album. By far the best part of this album is the guitar solos. Koichi Fukuda pushes himself to the limit with amazing solos. All in all? 9/10. Why you may ask? Well, as with every Static-X song/album the riffs, although amazing, are still pretty repetitive. // 9

Lyrics: Wayne Static brings back the past with this cd. His lyrics are heavy and determined to prove a point. His scratchy vocals make this CD 100 times better than it already is. The lyrics flow perfectly with the music playing. He uses different levels of singing in different songs. For example his vocal sound in "Behemoth" differs from that in "No Submission". "Behemoth" is a much deeper, heavy song. All in all the lyrics are good and work with all of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD was definatly worth the buy. I think anyone who is into Static-X should give this a listen, preview the songs on iTunes or something. I reccomend this CD to anyone who enjoys metal. The best songs on the album are "Cannibal", "No Submission", "Behemoth", and "Chemical Logic". The music and the lyrics flow so well together. The solos rock harder than life. There is just one warning about this cd. Watch out for the song "Reptile" because it's what I would call an aquired taste. All in all this CD is on my top 5 ever. I love it and I think everyone else should too. // 10

Cannibal Reviewed by: FBA Ac1d, on april 12, 2007

Sound: The 6th album to their growing disco metal has finally arrived. After all the anxiety created by frontman Wayne Static stating, "this could be the heaviest thing we've ever done." I can give you my opinion of this quick, catchy metal album. A lot of changes in Static-X's new album. Hardly any traditional heavy breakdowns are found but tons of shredding solo's put in by Koichi Fukuda, the bands lead guitarist. Guest solo was performed by John 5 on the opening title song, "Cannibal". It seems to me that Koichi followed John 5 through the rest of the album with the shreds. They don't really carry a distinct melody in them that you find in say Kirk Hammets solo's. The solo's sound a lot like every other solo on the album. Really predictable and not a lot of feel in them since the solos sound so similar throughout the album. Other than that Nick still tears the drums to pieces with just the right amount of everything on his part. He is a really solid drummer. Tony's bass has never really "stood" out like white on black but he continues the awesome back up vocals and you hear some heavy bass picks in their occasionally. Overall sound is really good and gritty. The only bad thing is Static-X elmininated their classic breakdowns a lot. // 8

Lyrics: Wayne still delivers the same ole weird, fast, mean, screaming lyrics like he always does. Some songs carry meaning such as "Cannibal", "Cuts You Up", and "Destroyer" and the rest of the songs generally talks of one tough and mad topic. Static-X's lyrics fit their music so well. Mean, fast, gritty, and mad. They do a fantastic job of blending their sound with lyrics. Frontman Wayne Static said he wanted to "challenge" himself vocally on the new album. He certainly did. Never through the whole album is he "quiet" for say. Screaming and mean in every word uttered. Maybe a little more variety though would have served well. His gritty tone works for Static-X but some melody like he did in the earlier days would have been good too. Wayne is a great singer. // 9

Overall Impression: "Cannibal" is not like Static-X's other albums. I believe any fan would agree with that. This is definitely their toughest, heaviest album by far. Previous albums produce more of a "mainstream" feel with melody and breakdowns. "Cannibal" shows none. Just plain, back to basic screaming metal with nasty guitars. I love this album cause it's catchy. Every song is quick and in your face. I'll give you a 20 dollar bill if you don't get one of these bad boys stuck in that skull for a good day. If this CD got damaged or I lost it, heck yes I'd buy it again. I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head so I'd be obligated to buy it to maintain sanity! My favorite songs off the album are "Electric Pulse", "Reptile", "Forty Ways" and "Chroma-Matic". Those are just my preferred tracks. The whole album is awesome and you'll love every song but those were the most attention grabbing on my first listen. The only thing I dislike about this album is that they replaced every possible breakdown with a shred solo. The solo's worked and fit well on some of the songs but then on other tracks a breakdown would have been spine-tingling. A great edition to the disco metal era of Static-X I think. // 8

Cannibal Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2007

Sound: Well, Static X's sound hasn't changed all that much, but they defiantly came through when they said this album was going to more more raw and heavy. When you first put the album in and the title song starts to play you get an aggressive rush of energy as the song explodes right off the bat. The whole album is pretty much constant with being very rough, and heavy but of course there is a lot of industrial tinges and sampling down which I think really adds flavor to the chugging guitar riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Wayne Static's lyrics have always been a little so-so, at least to me. Of course his singing style is the key element of Static X. Although his lyrics aren't life changing scripts, they, combined with his trademark voice makes for a very nice metal sound. In the song Behemoth he starts to really remind you of Dez Fafara of Devildriver, which to me is a great thing. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this album is great, and that they have come a long way. I've got tickets to go see them in two weeks and I am very excited about seeing some of these songs play live, specially Cannibal. I recommend this for any industrial metal fan! It has really lived up to my expectations (which is saying something), the only downfall is that all though it's a very solid album, there aren't really any standouts other then Cannibal. If it were lost I'd be pist, but I do not think I would rush right back out to the store to replace it. // 10

Cannibal Reviewed by: UnoriginalUsern, on may 19, 2008

Sound: "Cannibal," for all intents and purposes, is more of the same for Static-X. It's definitely a return to form, though. "Shadow Zone," despite being a solid offering from the band, strayed too far from the formula established by their first two albums. "Cannibal" is very reminiscent of the early days of Static-X, with more of the simplistic riffs I've become very familiar with. Honestly, such basic guitar playing should not be so fun to listen to. However, the aggression that just radiates from this album from start to finish-along with some stellar guitar solos makes it worth a listen. I'm thrilled the original guitarist for Static-X, Koichi Fukuda is making a return; he injects some more life into the album. // 8

Lyrics: As I said before, "Cannibal" is more of the same. This also applies to the lyrics. Although they're nothing new, Wayne Static delivers them nicely. He's got a great raspy voice which fits perfectly with the heavily distorted guitar, and has a talent for quickly delivering long passages of totally incomprehensible gibberish lyrics(see the track "No Submission" for a frame of reference) The title track is also worth mentioning. Although it's actually about being a vegetarian and all that, I have no clue what "rabbit master" means. // 7

Overall Impression: The beauty of "Cannibal" is that it's very consistent. There are no tracks here that I dislike enough to skip, unlike most of their other albums. Everything is quite good, though if you've only got to get a couple of songs, I recommend the title track, "No Submission," and "Chroma-Matic." As I said earlier, "Cannibal" is a return to form for Static-X, and in my opinion could very well edge out over "Machine" as their best yet. // 8

More Static-x reviews rating latest review
+ Cult Of Static 7.8 03/25/2009