Start A War Review

Released: Jun 14, 2005
Label: Warner Brothers
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Rap-Metal
It's not a new sound, not anywhere near, and Start a War inevitably falters. It can't survive on a diet of enormous guitar tone alone.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.8
 9.4
 8.2
Start A War Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2005

Sound: All I got to say for this is wow! When I went to go buy this CD, I was convinced that it wasn't going to sound better then WDT or machine. But then I listened to the whole CD and I fell in love with it. I'm so happy that Wayne sings in a higher pitch, it just sounds so much better. I also love it when Wayne goes crazy in Otsego Amigo, it just shows the personality of both Wayne and the band itself. // 10

Lyrics: I thought that the lyrics flowed very well with the theme of the CD. Static-X is a group that pretty much is crazy and likes to have fun, and there lyrics show that. Enough said. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think that this is the best of Static-X's albums. Every song on this CD is just amazing, I couldn't find a song I don't like. The best 3 songs in my opinion are The Enemy, I'm The One, and Dirthouse. I want to f--king break it is a funny song that will make you laugh (mabye not, but I did). If this CD were stolen, I'd buy five more so that I'd always have one ready. Anyone who is a Static-X fan must buy this CD. It is their best on yet and it comes with a great DVD (if you choose to get it). Shame on any Static-X fan who doesnt buy this CD! // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2005

Sound: Static-X seems to have gone back to their roots for this album. It's quite a bit heavier than their previous 2 releases. A lot of catchy/crunchy guitar riffs on this CD, along side some awesome vocals. // 10

Lyrics: Wayne sings at a higher pitch on this CD. Doesn't really add or take away anything from their music/lyrics. I like this style better than their older stuff. The lyrics are great, couldn't ask for more. Though people take in lyrics differently, and the song meanings, I feel like lyrically, this is a strong album. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the best album since their debut WDT. I've had the CD for 3 days now, and continue to cycle through the songs. I love the way this album sounds. So powerful! I honestly think, this may of topped WDT. // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: fattymcfat97, on june 17, 2005

Sound: Static-X is one of my all time favorite bands and I think their music is innovative. The sound on this new record isn't mind blowing like their debut album "Wisconsin Death Trip" but this CD is different and definaletly has its moments. Like always Static-X is dishing out their arsenal of sound with a fusion of techno and metal on this album and of course as always it stands out in the crowd from other metal band's work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics this time around were significantly better then of the ones off their album before "Shadow Zone" but still has the touch of a shallow feel of it but are still pretty innovative. The lyrics did go with the music very well because in this album it seemed like a lot of change of tone was put in for the different lyrics which is kind of rare for Static-X. But as always Wayne Howls with tony in the backround but the actual singing on this album was much better then on "Shadow Zone" where Wayne really started using his voice more fully. // 8

Overall Impression: Of course this album definately does not compare to the likes of "Wisconsin Death Trip" or "Machine" but still makes its mark on Static-X's music and in a very good way. I would say that the songs on this album were mixed for me but I would say the best songs would be "Skinnyman," "Set It Off," "Start A War" and "The Enemy" but one song on this album which in my opinion is completley overrated is "I'm The One" but is still a good song. If this CD was stolen from me I would by ten more copies just to be safe and if your planning to buy this CD make sure you get the special edition version that comes with a bonus DVD which is very enertaining. // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: Mudvayne1217, on july 06, 2005

Sound: Once again, the trance-metal band, Static-X has done it again. This CD is phenominal. Unlike Machine or Shadow Zone, the techno sounds do not compete with the musicians. That is very, very, good. They have stepped out of their usual sound and created something very similar, but different. It is excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Ah the lyrics. I'm more of a person who pays attention to the instruments more than the lyrics themselves. I love Wayne's voice, the way he can sing, growl, scream, or yell his lyrics. Tony also does very nice, backing vocals. As for the lyrics themselves, I did read the lyrics in the book. They all were set to a certain point and made sence. They didn't relate to a situation persay, but they all made sence together. Supurb. // 10

Overall Impression: Ah everything about this CD is great. The guitar is creative and excellent. Bass is good. As well as the drums. The vocals sound great. The nice balance of music and the techno sounds are probably the greatest balance out of all the band's CDs. My favorite songs on here are probably, well, they are all good. My least favorite is Ostego Amigo, and thats because I'm getting tired of the Ostego names. In every album, the band has a song name that contians "Ostego" in it. I don't have a problem with the song itself. I love it. It's just the name. If this were ever stolen or lost, I would definatly go buy a new one. I bought the CD/DVD version. The DVD is great. It has studio, concert, and recreational footage of the band in it. This is probably my favorite Static-X album next to Shadow Zone. Go get it. // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 14, 2005

Sound: Static-X has had a very hard time lately -? first the departure of founding drummer Ken Jay for reasons they never revealed, then loosing a guitarist Tripp Eisen for charges of sex with a teen girl. Also, their 2003's album Shadow Zone didn't meet the majority of their fans' expectations. That is enough to lead to the end of any band, but not in this case. Not only they survived, now they are back with a new album Start A War and two new member of the band. Koichi Fukuka, who played with the band on their first and second albums, is now welcomed back to his guitar duties and the touring drummer Nick Oshiro is permanently in control over the drumset. And Ulrich Wild, who worked with the band on their first two albums, is producing the latest one. But the band stays true to their habits even with the change of the cast (which is one of their habits as well, as in between of their releases one of the band members usually breaks away) releasing a new studio album every two years and making every next one sound different than the last. On their latest release Start A War with the comeback of the founding guitarist the band is back to their roots, where violence and a need to destroy are the rules. Most of the songs on the album do not even reach a 4-minute barrier, but you don't notice it until somebody points that out to you. The trick is that all the songs have such intense from the beginning to the end, that it keeps you strained all through the album. Imagine somebody shouting at you right in your face for just a couple of minutes - that would last like an hour for you, wouldn't it? The journey through this full of negative emotions record starts with a 2,5 minute howling fury "The Enemy" -? a dense and compact song that don't even pauses to catch a breath and moves on to "I'm The One" that just reinforces all the emotions the first song held. But don't take it too serious as the band is famous for its sense of humor. You can laugh listening to "Start A War" and the band makes it ridiculous in "I Want To F--k Break It," starting it with polka music that pops up intermittently to dilute the trash of the song and Static screams the title in rhythmic synchronization with the base polka motive. Awesome! When I listened to the end of the album, I was left with a feeling that I've just been on an open air festival and saw different style bands all on one stage ?- first metal trashy music, then by night it all turned into techno for those survivors, who don't have a hotel room and want to dance up till the first cafe opens. Just like that towards the end the album turns electronic with "Brainfog," which can freak you out like "What the heck is this doing here?" if that's your first Static-X record. But for real fans, who know what they want from the band, that's not a big surprise due to Static-X previous electronic experiments, and the whole album is a real gift. // 8

Lyrics: Wayne Static's manner of singing (or screaming) and acrobatic vocal grabs you by the balls from the very beginning of the record. He combines different vocal styles and mixes them in the song unpredictably. But he knows what he's doing and when to use one of his "voices" to best effect. You can witness all kinds of death-metal growl, East Coast speed-rapping and even high-pitched speech all produced with a very high intense. He also has the capability to sing the choruses in a very melodic way. I can't even imagine how strong throat you should have to sing like that through one-hour concert. As for the lyrics, if you don't like violence and think it's abusive, you wouldn't enjoy Start A War's lyrical context. But those who don't take it too close to heart can find it amusing -? like that line from "Just In Case" -? "Just in case you need, I'll be a piece of your ass." I wonder how he's gonna do that. // 10

Overall Impression: This might be the Static-X darkest effort. Though for the majority of people it is just another album of a nu-metal band with nothing too extraordinary, but it would reply on fans who are stuck with the band over years. Some of them might think with this album the band is improving the mistakes they made in Shadow Zone, but I don't think they even have any mistakes to improve. Each record is different and you don't necessarily have to like it. The current album can be described as fast, venom, sadistic and festive at the same time -? the so-called ode to violence. There's another band habit I didn't mention before -? a signature song with "Otsego" word in the title on each album. The only reason to do that might be the fact that Otsego is the name of the town Static grew up. This album's installment is called "Otsego Amigo." That's a little nice feature -? you always wonder what the next "Otsego" song would sound like. In conclusion I should say that even if you're not a fan of nu-metal or trash, you should at least enjoy the record. This album is quite a kick-ass. // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: Project_0, on july 25, 2005

Sound: Probably the 1 word to describe the whole CD is "powerful." It's a very hardcore CD but it is also kinda soft in its own little way. It has the hardcore, super-fast drumming, heavey guitar, and the screams from vocalist Wayne Static are as hard as they get. On the other hand it doesn't have to much variety. All the songs are heavey in some way, may it be the destrusitve sound of "The Enemy" or "I'm The One." Or it may be the lighter sound of "Just In Case." Plus they have some wierd songs like "Brainfog" where the keyboard really comes in handy. Overall the sound of this album was well done. // 8

Lyrics: Staric-X has always had 1 style to thier lyrics and that is to destroy all just like the track from the 2003 album Shadow Zone, "Destroy All." It doesn't change in this album. The lyrics are very meaningful but can get a little boring. The super-fast vocals on "Otsego Amigo" are just really cool. I do like the razor voice of vocalist Wayne Static but again that can get boring and annoying. Overall the lyrics could do some more. Sing about something different! // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impressions on this album are that if you like Static-X, you should buythis CD, If your into metal/hard rock music, you might wanna take a listen. My favourite song off this CD has to be "Otsego Amigo." Just because of the bone-chilling lyrics. The least impressive song on this CD is probably "Night Terrors." If you listen to the chorus you will find that the band took the rythm off of a Korn song. Well thats what I heard. Compared to other CDs I have by artists like Slipknot, System Of A Down and Stone Sour, this album is definetly the heavier ones. And thats whats really cool about it. I really understood whats Static-X was trying to get across. Great CD. I would recomend it. // 8

Start A War Reviewed by: Spade_SanosukeX, on december 12, 2005

Sound: The band's sound made the CD freakin amazing and reminded me of the Wisconsin Death Trip album. Judging from reading the booklet they dedicated the album to Dimebag Darrell Lance Abbott. They used a more heavy sound than in Shadow Zone. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were good but in skinny man I hated the way he said skinny man. The lyrics went awsome with the music and Wayne's still good. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it can compare with alot of artists but I'm to lazy to put them up. I liked Pieces, Start A War and Otsego Amigo the most. I kinda liked the gap of silence they had in frainfog. Again the only thing I didn't like was the way Wayne said skinny man in the song. If it were stolen Id kick the persons ass because I got it on the first day with the DVD so I'd want that alot. I would definately buy it again but only if it was the CD+DVD liek I got. // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: RMC06, on december 14, 2005

Sound: Well here's another Static-X album. They have come back from their loss of Tripp Eisen and regained Koichi Fukuda. Although I like Tripp Eisen more, Koichi is more familiar with what Static-X should really sound like, being their original guitarist. They aren't as heavy as they used to be, but they're still pretty heavy. I like the fact that they have become more melodic over the years, compared to Wisconsin Death Trip and Machine (which kicked major ass, by the way). Although many feel that Drop D and down a whole step tuning is easy to play, I think that as long as you know how to structure your riffs and incorporate the other instruments you can play the easiest stuff and still be good. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are classic Wayne Static. They are very creative and rhyme at very good time, which are in tune and on key with the riffs. Wayne is a great vocalist, and it's good that he doesn't just scream throughout the whole thing. He has really expanded as a vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think Static-X fans would really like it. With the return of Koichi, old fans of Static-X would really like it. The most impressive songs are Night Terrors, which has a really kick ass chorus, and Brain fog, which shows that Static-X can write a techno-like song and make it kick ass. Compared to their other albums, I think it is the best one yet. If it were stolen, I would hunt down whoever it was and get someone to rape their dogs. If I were to lose it, I would get me a five finger discount. // 10

Start A War Reviewed by: BassPlayer500, on february 15, 2007

Sound: "Start A War" by Static-X is a great album if you like heavy metal. Static-X is an industrial metal band, they mix heavy metal and techno; there are a lot of heavy guitar riffs on this CD and there is also some keyboard and techno stuff too. The song, "Brainfog", is all techno and programming. The guitars and drums sound great, but the bass isn't too amazing; there are only a few good basslines on this CD. "I'm The One" has great guitar riffs, "Dirthouse" has amazing drums, and "Set It Off" has good bass. // 9

Lyrics: Wayne is a great singer, he is a very "angry" singer. He just sounds really pissed off in songs like "The Enemy" and "Pieces". Most of the songs are about hating people or killing people. In the song, "I Want To F--kin' Break It", Wayne just screams a lot. Wayne sings really fast sometimes, like in "Otsego Amigo", it's really awesome. The backing vocals by Tony Campos are really awesome, especially in "Otsego Amigo. The singing skills are amazing and so are the songs, even though they don't have any true meanings behind them. // 9

Overall Impression: If you like heavy metal, just get this album. My favorite songs on this album are "Dirthouse", "The Enemy", and "Otsego Amigo". This is an amazing album, I love the heavy guitars and drums, but I think it would be better if there were basslines that stand out instead of blending in with the guitar. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would buy it again and get their new album called "Cannibal". // 9

More Static-x reviews rating latest review
+ Cult Of Static 7.8 03/25/2009