12 Gold Bars, Vol. 1 Review

status quo: 12 Gold Bars, Vol. 1
Release Date: 1980
Label: Vertigo
Genres: Hard Rock, Boogie Rock
12 Gold Bars, Vol. 1 is the ultimate beginner's guide to the band's last eight years of glory.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 4.7
 9.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
12 Gold Bars, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on august 11, 2006

Sound: Wanna get into the Quo? Then this is the CD you need. Mainly because it's a compilation. But you want the best of the best don't you? Sound absoulutly fantasmagorigal as ever and packed full of classic rockers. RAOTW, Whatever You Want, Paper Plane, Living On An Island and Down Down all feature on the album that realy is 12 Gold Bars of classic Status Quo shuffle. // 10

Lyrics: Again I can't realy complain because it's a compilation album. They're meant to be good in every way. But what band has an album like this so early in their career? Status Quo. They are just so good they have to release them now and again. Top lyrics and an overall good sound. But sorry Rick please explain the meaning of Living On An Island to us. I've been puzzling over it for ages! // 8

Overall Impression: If any member of Quo is a secret user on UG is a possibility so I want to say I love pretty much everything they do including this album (it wouldn't hurt to release one with the new line up now would it). It just rocks! I would love to hear a rerecording of Living On An Island, Down Down and a few others even as B-Sides! I know I am going off at a tangent here but it's got my ticker going now. Long live Quo. // 9

12 Gold Bars, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: killer23, on may 21, 2012

Sound: Status Quo are a legend and is one of the best British rock bands. If you wanna get into Quo then you will have to start with this excellent compilation album. "12 Gold Bars" shows Status Quo at their very best, 12 bar blues boogie shuffle with "Break The Rules", "Roll Over Lay Down", "Rain" and "Whatever You Want", rock your heart out with "Mystery Song", "Caroline" and "Paper Plane". Francis, Rick, Lancaster and Coughlan are at top notch with this album, all their greatest hits are on this album. Amazing! // 10

Lyrics: Status Quo I have got to admit have always had funny and quirky lyrics in every album. With "Break The Rules" you get a taste of their funny lyrics such as "By the way she motored we might have made the Eiffel Tower". However, the positive side to their lyrics is that it matches with their 12 Bar Blues Shuffle. I am quite impressed with Quo's Lyrics as it is very unique and are well known for jaunty, funny and quirky lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This compilation album clearly shows Status Quo's talent and clearly shows that they can rock just like any other 70's rock band. The best songs are all on this album and includes the No.1 single "Down Down". What would be great would be a b-side compilation album. It's amazing! I would definitely buy this album again and again! // 10

More Status Quo reviews rating latest review