Dog Of Two Head Review

status quo: Dog Of Two Head
Released: Nov 1971
Genre: Hard rock
Label: Pye NSPL 18371
Dog of Two Head is a 1971 rock album by Status Quo released by Pye Records. It was their fourth studio album. At the time of recording, the band consisted of Francis Rossi, Rick Parfitt, Alan Lancaster and John Coghlan.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Dog Of Two Head Reviewed by: Welli, on december 26, 2008

Sound: Dog Of Two Head is one of the most varied albums of Quo's earlier years ranging from the softer sing-a-long that is "Nanana" to the incredible solo of "Railroad". This came slightly before the "boogie rock" sound of the succeeding albums but it definitely still has it's influences in "Railroad", "Umleitung" and "Someone's Learning". It paved the way for Piledriver whilst showcasing some experimental aspects as shown in "Gerdundula" which has a very clear Celtic feel to it. Another interesting "gimmick" is the recurring excerpts of "Nanana" spread throughout the album which gradually get closer to the final track which is the full song. I never really understood the point of this and, to me, it seems like a bit of a waste -- not to mention an interruption. I certainly would have cut both shorter versions out and just left the real thing in. Ultimately though, you know an album is great when the only thing you can criticise is the unnecessary addition of extra tracks. // 9

Lyrics: Nothing to really criticise, nothing to really praise. The entire album is quite sing-a-long friendly -- and I do on many occasions! As always, the vocal work from Rossi and Parfitt is competent, the lyrics aren't particularly inspirational but they always fit the songs and that's good enough for me. // 8

Overall Impression: The best thing about the album is that the sound is varied but the quality is consistently high. I find the weakest song on the album to be "Something's Going On In My Head" but it's a far cry from awful. "Mean Girl" is a very catchy little number that Quo have even taken to playing live again as of the Pictures tour. "Railroad" and "Gerdundula" are masterpieces and have, deservedly, gone down as Quo classics so nothing needs to be said there. "Someone's Learning" and "Umleitung" are the two longest songs on the album at over 7 minutes and are suitably fantastic! "Umleitung" especially has a very strong boogie feel to it. You can't help but move around a little when it comes on! If this album got stolen, I would cry. And then buy it again. // 9

More Status Quo reviews rating latest review