Piledriver Review

status quo: Piledriver
Release Date: Jan 1973
Label: Repertoire
Genres: Hard Rock, Boogie Rock
On the whole Piledriver is still an enjoyable listen, one that has aged much better than later albums by the same band or much other hard rock from this period.
 8.5
 7.3
 9.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Piledriver Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on august 11, 2006

Sound: Raw. I use the word a lot but this pretty much sums up the album. But very hard rocking. Another example of a Quo album containing the classics that are later found on compilations. These contain Don't Waste My Time, Paper Plane and Roadhouse Blues. However with the exception of Don't Waste My Time, the opening songs could have been structured better. Piledriver needs a bit of a "remix" because it has you saying "That was good this is crap. That was good this is crap." This was one of Quo's first shuffly-blues type albums. // 7

Lyrics: Well Rossi still sounds like a bit of a teenager but that's because his voice is a little high and squeaky. And some of the lyrics are a little cheesy but you will always get a song on any Quo album that makes you laugh. The majority is absolutly fantastic. You could do a lot of covers from this album that would go down well live but choose carefully. // 7

Overall Impression: I like the ape (you'll see what I mean if you buy it) but the highlight for me has to be Don't Waste My Time. On the whole I like the album. I have been nit-picking but have told the truth. If you are a Status Quo fan you do need this CD. However if you like the newer stuff, prepare to be surprised! // 8

More Status Quo reviews rating latest review