Rock 'Til You Drop Review

Lyrics: 7.5
 9.2
 8.4
Rock 'Til You Drop Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on august 15, 2006

Sound: A very good album. It's name was taken from a record attempt by Quo to play 3 shows in a day at different parts of the country. They did it of course and released this album, and what an album it is. A real clean sound and great guitar passages realy make the album. The songlist includes 'All We Really Wanna Do (Polly)', 'Can't Give You More' and a bonus track is even a rerecorded '4500 Times'. Cushty. A few covers in there too but Quo pull it off so well they actually sound better than the origionals. // 9

Lyrics: I can safely say they is only one song I wasn't sure about here lyric wise and that is 'Warning Shot'. It just came out of nowhere and meant nothing to me. Could it be about the Gulf war that was going on at the time? I don't know but good all the same. 'Fakin The Blues' is a great ballad with killer lyrics. 'Like A Zombie' is really funny. Nice one Francis! As I say with many of my Status Quo reveiws you always get that song with the crap lyrics about halfway through the CD. It's tradition I suppose. // 8

Overall Impression: Easily one of Quo's best and will be for years. I'd like to rename the album 'Rock 'Til You Get Knackered' 'cos you can't put down the air guitar! Everyone need this album. Chav or not. Goth or not. Normal or not, this album rocks. It's very in your face and was quite a big milestone for Quo and it always will be. The party really 'aint over yet people. // 9

Rock 'Til You Drop Reviewed by: belavista man, on january 11, 2011

Sound: The band's raw guitar sound is here on this album, but is overshadowed by the over-produced BOOM-TAH of the drums that was typical of Status Quo in this era. The heavy reverb that eminates from the snare really overdoes it for me. The bass and guitars' driving rhythm and lead lines are a real treat for any musician taking the time to listen. The solo in Forty-Five-Hundred-Times is quite jaw-dropping, while Francis Rossi (lead) and John Rhino Edwards (bass) play the solo in unison, to high success. The drums, though over-produced, give a relentless rhythm that can't be argued with and provide some pretty nifty fills here and there. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of a high majority of the songs on here are quite simplistic to say the least; don't expect to be blown away. If anything, the most of them are just quite fun. Warning Shot may be an exception, having quite a nice, deep meaning. Throughout the album, the band provide brilliant vocals. Rossi gives out his usual dose of country-styled vox, while Parfitt shows his own vocals off in One Man Band, providing harmony vocals along with Andy Bown everywhere else. The harmony vocals always seem to sound brilliant with Status Quo. // 7

Overall Impression: Personally, one of my favourite Status Quo albums. At 16 tracks, it's one of Quo's longest albums to date (along with Thirsty Work), which you could argue is good, but in some ways bad. A lot of the songs on here are real killer songs that can be loved from start finish (All We Really Wanna Do, Like A Zombie, The Price of Love, Warning Shot), but the album has its fair share of dead tracks too, with things like Fame Or Money, Nothing Comes Easy and Tommy being frankly dull compared to some of the others. It's hit and miss. It's in the middle ground between old-styled Quo and Pop Quo, so it'll be to a lot of people distaste. // 8

More Status Quo reviews rating latest review