The Party Ain't Over Yet Review

status quo: The Party Ain't Over Yet
Release Date: 2005
Label: Sanctuary
Genres: Hard Rock
2005 is a milestone year for Status Quo and sees them mark an incredible 40 years of making music.
 7.2
 8.7
 5.7
The Party Ain't Over Yet Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on november 03, 2006

Sound: Well I must say that the entire album is beautiful. A real kick ass album. You can definitely hear all kinds of styles including country, blues and rock. Rhino's Status Bass really keeps the band tight and 'crisp'. I was surprised to find that Quo have changed their sound. A great drum sound keeps the band moving and really make you know that the song has a sense of direction. A great mixture of slow and quick stuff too. Also some nice harmonies on the voices. A great one to buy. // 10

Lyrics: Great except err The Bubble. I suppose it grows on you. If you read the 2005 programme (yeah I'm the sad bastard that does) you will see Rick says that Paxman didn't put any of Rick's songs through to be recorded. Rick did write something with John called Belavista Man which was easily one of the best tracks on the album. Certainly a "Rick Classic". Lyrics are great. I also like the lyrics to Goodbye Baby. Another great one. And guess what? Matt has even contributed on this one with Nevashooda. OK so it aint great but it's his first bash at a Quo one. Well done Matty. // 9

Overall Impression: Well compared to 'Heavy Traffic' it's a bit weak. However easily one of the best Quo have done. 'Heavy Traffic' does take some beating but "Don't say to me it can't be done." Sorry that had to go in there. It can be done, Quo so please keep making these kick ass albums! You need this CD now. Now I say! Upward on onward from here lads. Another great classic from the monarchs of rock 'n' roll. // 10

The Party Ain't Over Yet Reviewed by: belavista man, on june 23, 2007

Sound: I love the majority of this album, yet there are parts of it which I personally think could have been better. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Three of the tracks on here were written by John David (long-time Quo song writter), which some may call bad, some may call good. I think that the sound on these three songs, "TPAOY", "All That Counts Is Love" and "Kick Me When I'm Down," are great as they show just how much Quo can pull off. The rest of the music is written by Status Quo and Bob Young, naturally, as some of the best music on this album is in songs co-written by Bob Young. I don't think there's that much worth changing on this album, but, like I said, there are weak points, in songs like "Nevashooda" and, maybe "Velvet Train" where the music tends to get on my nerves after a while. Overall? Not bad. // 8

Lyrics: There's some fantastic lyrics on this album, especially on the songs written by John David ("All The Counts Is Love" for example) and the songs written by Rick Parfitt ("Familiar Blues" for example). There's also plenty of lyrics which need a lot of work, in songs like "The Bubble" and "Nevashooda" (Both co-written by Andy Bown, a step down from "Whatever You Want"). I love the lyrics in "This Is Me" and "Belavista Man" (I wonder why) and can't get enough of them, but a lot of the tracks' lyrics are un-listenable to me. Overall, the album lyrics needed work which they didn't get. // 7

Overall Impression: It's definately one to buy, but not one to play on a loop for hours, like Heavy Traffic or Just Supposin' were. It will definately go down as a Quo classic, but not as one of their very best. If you're a new Quo fan and plan on buying a Quo album, then go for some of the earlier stuff first, then work your way towards this one, as it isn't as good as it could have been, and could put you off buying anymore of Quo's albums. Quo are better than this, trust me. // 8

More Status Quo reviews rating latest review