The Shadows Compendium Review

Genre: Neo-Classical Metal, Symphonic Metal, Progressive Metal
Label: Listenable Records
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Shadows Compendium Reviewed by: MultiM, on february 13, 2013

Sound: As Stephan said: "very dark", most of the tracks were dark. I think it was so creative also, most of the songs were good for me, the first song I listened to was the first one "The Shadows Compendium" because Jeff Loomis played a guest solo in it (which was great), "Prophecies Of Loki XXI" contained a lot of classical influence especially in the keyboard sections. Unlike the other instrumental guitarists, Stephan used a lot of keyboard in the most of the songs, it was composed intelligently. Beside the keyboard, He used a lot of sitar (I don't know if it's a real sitar or just simulated) especially in the rhythm sections(but it was used as a lead instrument in part of "The Shadows Compendium" before Jeff Loomis guest solo I think), which gave the song an Indian feeling. "Sorrowful Centruroide" is another nice (sad) song with a nice melodic parts which has a lot of different styles and a guest solo from Derek Taylor (who is a solo artist as I remember). The whole album in general contained lots of shredding and sweeping with some emotional melodic phrases. // 7

Lyrics: This an instrumental album, which means it has no lyrics - and it's GREAT! // 9

Overall Impression: There was a lot of classical influence and a heavy use of neo-classical licks and diminished scale. I listened to Jeff Loomis solo albums and some of Tony Macalpine albums, "The Shadows Compendium" is really different from the other solo albums. Although, some of the songs were very simple, like "Improvisation On Sonata No.14, C" it was a simple improvisation over some simple piano parts but it was nice (as a guitarist, it was a new idea for me). Though, I didn't like one or two songs on the album but it was special and well-composed. I have never listened to Adagio (Stephan Forte band), but I was impressed by the different styles that the album had and the variations of the instruments in every song which Stephan used to create a dark feeling. You can stream album in full here.

// 8