Lion Review

stephen lynch: Lion
Released: Nov 13, 2012
Genre: Comedy, Acoustic
Label: What Are Records?
Number Of Tracks: 26 (2CD)
 7.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Lion Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on november 03, 2013

Sound: "Lion" is the fifth album by American comedian Stephen Lynch containing 13 tracks, released in 2012. The first half of the album was recorded at Studio G! in Nashville and the second half of the album was recorded live from Symphony Space in New York. For those not familiar with his work, Stephen Lynch makes his money by singing beautiful melodies over gorgeous acoustic guitar chords, the lyrics however range from entertainingly funny to downright offensive (which I've found to be a synonym of funny). "Lion" is no different from his previous releases, but I can say his vocal performances have only gotten better. The tone of his voice is rich, and on the majority of the tracks, is complemented by Courtney Jaye. In traditional fashion, the songs are all light hearted and really do sound beautiful. In fact, if you re-wrote the lyrics with the same melodies, you could really have some amazing songs. I guess that's what makes the album so appealing. Lynch takes the time to write excellent vocal lines, and writes amazing guitar melodies only to write songs about "queer tattoos" or hillbillies in Tennessee. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are indeed the highlight of the album. Every song is funny or entertaining in some way. Lynch has described himself as "a musician trapped in a comedian's body," and that could not be a more spot on observation. Not only are the lyrics hilarious, but Lynch's delivery is perfect and allows for the most impact. I find myself listening to songs multiple times just to fully process what he's actually saying, and I laugh just as hard each and every time. This excerpt from Tennessee is a perfect example of Lynch's comedy, "The birth place of Aretha queen of soul, BB King and Al Gore, I'm not saying it's a sh-t hole, But they don't live there anymore." Another great track on the album is titled "The Night I Laid You Down" The basic idea of the lyrics is that Lynch is confused about the events of a night he spent with a female (females parts sang by Jaye). The banter between the two of them is spectacular. This song is one of those songs that by itself is beautiful, but the words are sure to make you laugh. I'll also suggest the song "Whiskey D-ck"; Simple, easy, hilarious. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the album was exactly what I was expecting it to be, hilarious. Every song at some point has a line that makes you stop, and back track to hear it again. At some you'll laugh uncontrollably, others you'll shake your head in disbelief at what he just said. The best part of the album is the composition of the guitar and voice melodies. The pieces are all really well composed and performed by Lynch. I don't dislike one single aspect of the album; I could listen to it on repeat all day long and not get bored or tired of listening to it. The highlights of the album for me are "The Night I Laid You Down" and "Tennessee" are my two favorite songs, but the remaining 11 songs are just as funny. If it happened to become lost or stolen I wouldn't waste any time replacing it because it is one of my favorite albums. // 8

More Stephen Lynch reviews rating latest review