The Craig Machine Review

stephen lynch: The Craig Machine
Release Date: Oct 4, 2005
Label: What Are?
Genres: Comedy Rock
Good news is, Lynch is getting wittier and more involved with wordplay.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Craig Machine Reviewed by: Greenfinger182, on october 19, 2005

Sound: Well, folks, Stephen Lynch is back in an all-new CD recorded live in New York. Fans have been waiting for this, I know, and after about 10 listens through, I know they won't be disappointed. This CD represents the best acoustic guitar can get in comedy. The music helps to represent the mood, like in such songs as 'Halloween', 'Beelz', and 'Love Song.' Lynch seems to be born to play this instrument, and although every once in a while you might hear a not muted early or a note not held down hard enough (you know the sound it makes), the CD is almost perfect in the sound category. Also, the production quality is absolutely amazing for a live CD. The crowd's laughter never overpowers Lynches clear and sweet voice, and you can understand every word fully. Compliments to 'What Are Records' for the great job on mic placement and mixing. // 8

Lyrics: So we come to the best part of Lynch's show. His lyrics, hilarious as always, only get better. I keep thinking he has to run out of subjects eventually, but like a copy of the Energizer Bunny he just keeps going and going and going. There are bound to be a few moments on this CD that you'll have to pause to finish laughing. And, just be warned; please don't listen to this while you're driving, because accidents are sure to ensue. The lyrics, as always, flow in harmony with the music, which Lynch has always seemed to have the ability to do. Best of all, though, may be Lynch's voice. With a large range and a very smooth vocal structure, Lynch has a path to comedic stardom paved for himself. The most memorable singing skills from him are probably from 'Beelz' ('gay' voice) and 'Pierre' (French voice). He does quite a good job on impersonating other nationalities (for those familiar with his other albums, Taxi Driver is always a fun one), and rest assured that this album is no different. // 9

Overall Impression: Lynch continues to use his ability to craft humorous songs out of racy material on this album, and the result is likely just what he intended. This ability, long since honed by stand-up comedians, is utilized by Lynch and his acoustic guitar, and I hope they continue to create quality recordings such as this. If you're a fan of musical comedy, I implore you to check this CD out. His two previous albums, "A Little Bit Special" and "Superhero" were both very funny, but each had their iffy songs. The only song I can really point out on here that isn't terribly funny is Whittlin' Man, but regardless it's a fun track to listen to. The music, the lyrics, and the comedy tie together like shoelaces, and I think it will be a while before this CD comes undone. // 8

The Craig Machine Reviewed by: danger_boy_13, on december 24, 2005

Sound: Well, Stephen Lynch is back with The Craig Machine. If you have seen him in concert, on DVD, or heard any of his albums, you have heard this style before. This album contains some of the old stuff that he did on the Live at the El Rey DVD and some of the other albums, along with some new and altered material. Of course, Lynch is funny as always. // 8

Lyrics: Lynch has a very clear, funny lyrical ability, and he can sing very well. It's odd because you hear the songs and think of it as just general folk/pop music until he hits the hilariously inappropriate or disgusting lyrics. I love the way Stephen Lynch surprises you with his songs when you hear them, with the nice calm tone to them while making fun of anything under the sun. // 9

Overall Impression: The thing I love about this album is the fact that it has some new material from Stephen Lynch. Hearing new stuff from him is sometimes few and far between, but when he releases new material it is always a good time. The thing I don't like about some of it is that there is quite a bit of old stuff as well, its never an all-new material record, though the old stuff is still really fun. My favorite songs on this album are Craig (about the brother of Jesus) and Beelz (all about a gay Satan). If I lost or had this album stolen, I would buy it all over again. It just a fun album full of talent. // 9

The Craig Machine Reviewed by: shabutie86, on january 24, 2008

Sound: Stephen's sound is purely acoustic, and he is often helped on stage with two other musicians who sing and play alongside him. It sounds like Stephen Lynch has classic rock as one of his major muses that help him write his songs. He makes a reference to Led Zeppelin in "D&D" a song about the loner kids who play Dungeons and Dragons in their moms basement. Most of Stephens songs are extremely funny and are always put someone on edge or use them as the butt of the joke, for example. "Vanilla Ice Cream" is about a man who choses black girls over white girls. some of his earlier work like "Special Olympics" and "Special Ed" both make fun of the mentally handicapped. "Little Tiny moustache" takes jabs at a Relationship between a Anti-Zionist and a Jew. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the meat and potatos of the songs, it's where all the magic of the comedy is revealed. In this album some of the funnier songs are the following. "Halloween", "Craig", "Albino", "Mixer at Delta Chi", "Little Tiny Mustache", "Classic Rock Song", "D&D". Each of them follow funny situations if it's about a man who poisons children in the song Halloween, a song about the brother of Christ, or a song about a bad college professor who parties and sleeps with his students. Stephen is also a very skillful singer, he has a very good falsetto and can hit very high notes that some women may have trouble with. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this song is one of the best, if it's not just one of it's own kinds of CD's out there. there's not a whole lot of singing comedians out there but if there is he is the best. Probobly my most favorite song off the album would have to be "Albino". What I love about the album is that it brings together two things I love, comedy and musicianship. What I hate about it is that it's a live album and the laughing and the people in the crowds can get in the way of hearing what exactly he may be singing. If this were lost or stolen, I would definatly buy this album again, I give it a 10 all the way around! // 10

More Stephen Lynch reviews rating latest review