Pull The Pin Review

9.2
 8.7
 9.7
Pull The Pin Reviewed by: Stereo92, on october 29, 2007

Sound: 'Pull The Pin' marks the return of Welsh trio The Stereophonics after two years of touring, a live album and two DVDs. The new album sounds like a continuation of their fifth album 'Langauge, Sex, Violence, Other' but unlike LSVO this album is based more around the vocals instead of guitar solos like LSVO. Being more of a continuation of LSVO it seems an improvement aswell as the trio explore more of what they can do as a band. The album's sound varies a lot with heavy rockers like Soldiers Make Good Targets, Quick indie rockers like Bank Holiday Monday and next single My Friends, To slow mellow songs like Daisy Lane and It Means Nothing. The most impressive sound on the album must be slow burner Stone whcih starts off with a small over dubbed guitar riff and then turns into a massive sounding chorus laden with guitar overdubs and an intresting drum beat for the chorus. // 9

Lyrics: Kelly Jones' lyrics as usual are brilliant but unlike former albums this album seems more relationship based with songs like Stone, Crush, My Friends and Lady Luck. There is also a softer side to the album though, with songs like Daisy Lane and the lead single It Means Nothing. Kelly Jones' voice is still has the rough sound that it always had but on some tracks (like the lead single It Means Nothing) it seems like he holds his voice back trying to make the song softer. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is up there with the best Stereophonics albums like LSVO and Word Gets Around. The most impressive songs are Soldiers Make Good Targets, My Friends, Daisy Lane, Lady Luck and Stone. I love the fact that there are a lot of different sounds on the album with diffrent styles and textures to songs. The only song I don't like on the album is Crush, the song sort of seems backwards with the opening riff and then the hard punky chords. I know I enjoyed this album and I think other people did from the fact that it was number 1, if it were stolen or lost I would deffinitley buy it again. // 10

Pull The Pin Reviewed by: oosabaj, on january 22, 2010

Sound: 'Pull The Pin' is the latest lip-smackingly hard-hitting instalment from the Welsh trio Stereophonics. After releasing a live album and two DVDs during their two year tour, Stereophonics have now given the fans anew album to add to the collection. The album sounds like a meld of their fifth album Language, Sex, Violence, Other' with riffs and vocals reminiscent of earlier albums such as Performance and Cocktails' and Just Enough Education to Perform'. The album shows how the band has matured musically, as they seem to have taken some of the emotive musical elements from LSVO and Jones's Only The Names Have Been Changed', while retaining some of the quirkiness of earlier albums. Overall they have created an album consisting of heavier songs such as Soldiers Make Good Targets', softer tracks such as It Means Nothing' and an acoustic based gem Bright Red Star'. Definitive Stereophonics. // 7

Lyrics: Kelly Jones' lyrics as usual are exquisite but unlike previous Stereophonics albums Pull The Pin' includes more relationship based songs like Stone, Crush, My Friends and Lady Luck. Themes which Kelly looks to have drawn from his solo album. As can be heard from the flagship single It Means Nothing' there is a softer side to the album. Songs such as Daisy Lane' have a more gentle instrumental backing coupled with smoother vocals and lyrics to give a heartfelt tone. Lady Luck' however is a powerful, emotive song which simply stirs passion. // 8

Overall Impression: Being a Stereophonics fan, I suppose I am slightly biased. However from an objective point of view I have to say that this album is not for everyone. Punk lovers may like Crush', however it is not a song that carries the Stereophonics tone that the trio have adopted over the last few albums. The album is littered with different styles, layers and textures, so if you do like the powerful and riff-tastic songs such as LSVO's and the classic sound of Just Enough Education to Perform' then you are likely to consider this album as a real pleasure to listen to. Pull The Pin' will easily please any Stereophonics fan. Personally I really enjoyed the varied sounds and styles of Stereophonics in this album and found myself being completely taken away. // 8

More Stereophonics reviews rating latest review
+ Graffiti On The Train 8.2 03/04/2013