Stereos Review

2.7
 6.1
review (1) 49 comments vote for this album:
Stereos Reviewed by: teddytheturtle, on april 28, 2010

Sound: I'll be upfront: I hate this band. I mean it. Well, I'm sure they're cool dudes, but I've never met them, so obviously I'm going by the music alone, and it's awful. It's overly repetitive to the point of being annoying. If you've heard "Summer Girl," you might as well just put it on repeat and listen to it ten times instead of buying the whole album because every song sounds exactly the same. If you like electro-pop with over-saturated autotune, and being annoyed to death for 25 minutes, this album is for you. // 2

Lyrics: I'll give them some credit here. They've got catchy hooks that match the beat of the songs perfectly. I wouldn't expect anything less from a band that basically hit number one overnight after getting a major label record deal. However, the lyrics (and autotune) are still very annoying. // 4

Overall Impression: I've never listened to a record with the intention of writing a review with the intention of totally bashing it, and I probably never will again, just like I'm never going to listen to this record again. It's not like me to review terrible music. Terrible music is best left ignored because if enough people ignore it, it eventually goes away. But this band is a special kind of terrible. I've done my research. I know how much they love haters (in this case, I guess that's me). They're attention whores, and it's reflected in their music. I mean, it's obviously written to sell as many records as possible (news flash: 12 to 15 year-olds will buy any catchy pop music that's marketed to them). I definitely think they're compromising artistic integrity for the sake of making commercial music, the whole art versus product debate. I don't think they're doing it on purpose. They're probably just really bad songwriters, and maybe the singer actually sounds worse without autotune. Either way, they got one lucky break and now they're living their dream. If I were in a talent-less band and were given the same opportunity, I'd probably do the same thing. Who really cares, anyway? Chances are, they'll end up fading into obscurity within a couple years and none of this will matter anymore. // 2

More Stereos reviews rating latest review
+ Uncontrollable 3.3 12/21/2010