The Ultra Zone Review

steve vai: The Ultra Zone
Release Date: Sep 7, 1999
Label: Epic
Genres: Instrumental Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Guitar Virtuoso
This album contains two tributes to two other stellar guitarists. One of those is "Jiboom," which pays homage to Stevie Ray Vaughan, while "Frank" remembers Frank Zappa.
 6.4
 6.3
 6.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The Ultra Zone Reviewed by: Baroque_and_Rol, on january 12, 2007

Sound: I've always loved Vai's sound, especially on Real Illusions, but this albun doesn't sound as full as his other stuff. He uses a lot of electronic and world music influences but I don't think he does the latter as well on this album as on Alive In An Ultra World and the former seems to take away from the warmth and depth, which is something that made Fire Garden great. It just sounded cold and thin. // 7

Lyrics: Other than the Silent Within, I think the vocal songs on this album took away from what could have been a pretty good album. Most of them seem like filler to me and just lack that Vai magic. Silent Within is probably my favorite on the album though, and nearly makes up for it. Overall, though, I think the album would have been better without vocals. // 5

Overall Impression: In my opinion the best parts were Oooo (the great modulations and cool sound), Lucky Charms (after the chipmunks chill out), Jibboom (maybe the best part of the album, particulary the solo) and definately the Silent Within (very cool aura and the solo takes the album somewhere magical). I honestly think that this was his weakest album. I'm not gonna use worst hear because that word shouldn't ever pertain to Vai, but this album was a little disappointing. I wouldn't buy it if it were stolen. // 7

More Steve Vai reviews rating latest review