Insurgentes Review

Steven Wilson: Insurgentes
Released: Nov 26, 2008
Genre: Drone, Shoegazing, Industrial, Art Rock
Label: Kscope
Insurgentes is the title of the first full-length solo album released by British musician and record producer Steven Wilson, known for being the founder and frontman in psychedelic/progressive rock band Porcupine Tree.
 9.2
 9.5
 8.9
Insurgentes Reviewed by: thenewblack745, on december 05, 2008

Sound: The long awaited album has come. Steven Wilson's first solo album "Insurgentes" has arrived. Well at least the special deluxe edition, but the retail album will be released in Feb. But getting to the point, this is an amazing album. It has all the professional work you would expect from Steven Wilson, with some of the most experimental work he has done. Fans of Porcupine Tree and Blackfield will look at the Steven Wilson completely differently after looking at the album. The most standard rock song on the album is "Harmony Korine" which gloriously opens the album. After that each song shows off Wilson's many sounds. Backing him the entire album is the amazing drummer Gavin Harrison. The sound of the album would be best described as a mixture of standard rock with drone, ambient and even shoe-gaze. All this brings a totally unique sound to the album which has never been heard by the likes of Porcupine Tree, Blackfield or any other SW project. // 10

Lyrics: Steven Wilson is my favorite vocalist ever. Hands down. His relaxed vocal style fits perfectly within his music. Moving from incredibly warm to oddly creepy and brutal. One odd innovation you'll notice in the music is that sometimes the vocal line will play backup to another idea coming from guitars or other instruments. The lyrics... are sometimes endlessly confusing, but always work well with the music. "Get All You Deserve" shows this perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Good God this is an awesome album. It shows a truly unique sound and leaves you begging for more. My personal favorites from the album are "Harmony Korine" "Significant Other" and "Insurgentes". The only thing I don't like about this album is how "Venamo Para Los Hadas" sounds very similiar to "We Lost the Skyline" from the Porcupine Tree album "Sky Moves Sideways". Still a good song, but it annoyed me a little bit. Otherwise, absolutely awesome album. // 10

Insurgentes Reviewed by: tangled, on may 28, 2009

Sound: The album is very hypnotic and fascinating on an intimate level. At first I thought album was a bit boring, it took a few listens for me to start feelings its effects. I find it to be very complex and with many moments of subtle and vibrant beauty. I listen to it often and find its grows on me more with each listen. Each time I listen to the album start to finish I hear something new that I had not noticed ever before. The sound quality is of the up most finest. // 10

Lyrics: Vocals sound great. Wilson is a very good lyricist. Though the lyrics are not included in the booklet, they are very clear and easy to understand. I find the lyrics relate very personally in a strange twisted way. They are very well sung and quite beautiful, awesome and expressive. // 8

Overall Impression: Its a very mysterious and unique album. The subtle brilliance of each instrument (especially the percussion) brings about a very think and rich atmospheric quality from start to finish that I often find myself lost in. With a very reserved dramatic expression, its pretty easy to for some amazing moments within the songs to fly right over your head at the end of "no twilight within the courts of the sun" there is a hauntingly strange piano and hypnotic piano part then silence. Then the drums start to really rip out a double bass blast beat type pattern and things get pretty heavy for a moment then the songs over. I love it, it sounds so cool and yet its so subtle and easy to miss. The photography in the book is pretty cool as well. // 9

More Steven Wilson reviews rating latest review