Greatest Hits Review

artist: stevie ray vaughan date: 10/26/2005 category: compact discs
stevie ray vaughan: Greatest Hits
Release Date: Nov 21, 1995
Label: Epic
Genres: Electric Texas Blues, Texas Blues, Modern Electric Texas Blues, Album Rock, Modern Electric Blues, Blues-Rock, Contemporary Blues
Greatest Hits rectifies that problem by collecting all of his best-known tracks, from "Pride And Joy" to "Crossfire."
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Zamboni, on october 26, 2005

Sound: In this greatest hits compilation, SRV and his band Double Trouble are portrayed in all their glory. With amazing hits like "Taxman," "Texas Flood," "Pride And Joy," and "Couldn't Stand The Weather," this album is an excellent grouping of some of Stevie Ray's most impressive songs. Also included in this album is SRV's version of "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix, which I must say, I enjoy more than the original. All in all, this CD is composed of some of the best hits of one of the best guitarists in history. // 9

Lyrics: For a blues album, these lyrics are typical, but also quite good. SRV manages to make traditional blues lyrical topics into something more special and deep. The lyrics fit perfectly to the blues-based sounds of this album, and they are sung very well by SRV. I'm amazed at Stevie's ability to play intricate guitar lines while still keeping a pitch-perfect melody with his voice. It's a very difficult thing to pull off, and he does it flawlessly. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably my favorite SRV album. It comprises all of SRV's best and most powerful moments in his career, and it's tracked and remastered with great skill. The most impressive songs would have to be "Texas Flood," "Pride And Joy," "Little Wing," "Cold Shot" and "Couldn't Stand The Weather," but all of the tracks are very good. If lost or stolen, I would buy it again without question. It's definitely a CD worth buying again. // 9

More Stevie Ray Vaughan reviews rating latest review