Texas Flood Review

artist: stevie ray vaughan date: 06/02/2006 category: compact discs
stevie ray vaughan: Texas Flood
Release Date: 1983
Label: Epic/Legacy
Genres: Texas Blues, Modern Electric Texas Blues,Album Rock, Modern Electric Blues, Blues-Rock, Contemporary Blues, Electric Blues, Electric Texas Blues
This CD captures the rising guitar star tending fields seeded by earlier legends Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Jimi Hendrix.
 9.3
 9.3
 9.2
review (1) 29 comments vote for this album:
Texas Flood Reviewed by: Matt Montoya, on june 02, 2006

Sound: Stevie Ray Vaughan is known for having some of the most talented guitar playing and soloing, playing all parts of the guitar neck masterfully. He's one of the best people to combine blues with rock. After having a series of concerts; some with a good crowd, some with a bad crowd, he made his huge debut with "Texas Flood," an album the made Stevie Ray Vaughan a legend in the world of guitar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are your average blues lyrics. They aren't as great as Bob Dylan's lyrics. But the album is much more than that. Here is my review of each song: 01. Love Struck Baby - a good way to open the album with a good intro. 02. Pride And Joy - one of the most popular songs on the album. It has good rhythm and good lyrics. 03. Texas Flood - a more traditional blues song, with some of the best soloing I've ever heard. 04. Tell Me - another traditional blues song that sounds like Lightin' Hopkins with Hendrix-style soloing. 05. Testify - a song with more Rock than Blues. It has very good soloing. 06. Rude Mood - an instrumental where Stevie Ray shows us why he is considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time. 07. Mary Had A Little Lamb - a great song which is a cover from legenedary bluesman, Buddy Guy. 08. Dirty Pool - a mellow song, which isn't the best, but still is a good song on the album. 09. I'm Crying - it's good, but it's basically the same thing as "Pride And Joy". 10. Lenny - one of the highlights of the album. It is a slow song, with a good Jazz feel to it, and a great way to close the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I am impressed with this album. My only complaint is that one or two of the songs sound too similar, but anybody who wants to learn guitar should listen to this album. It's one of the best blues albums I've ever heard. I do think that Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Couldn't Stand The Weather" is better, but "Texas Flood" isn't bad at all. // 9

More Stevie Ray Vaughan reviews rating latest review