The Sky Is Crying Review

artist: stevie ray vaughan date: 02/11/2008 category: compact discs
stevie ray vaughan: The Sky Is Crying
Released: Nov 5, 1991
Genre: Rock
Styles: Modern Electric Blues, Blues-Rock, Electric Texas Blues, Texas Blues, Modern Electric Texas Blues
 9.7
 8.2
The Sky Is Crying Reviewed by: Djall89, on january 14, 2004

Sound: Stevie Ray Vaughan's sound cannot be described with words because it cannot be compared to anything. He is truely one of a kind. This album shows off his blues and even of his rock influences. There isn't too much I can say about his sound in particular like you would with a metla or punk album, but it is definitely recognizable. // 10

Lyrics: Stevie isn't a singer, he's a guitar player; however, he does sing on this record and for no vocal coaching he does a damn good job. He didn't write too many of his own songs, so the lyrics aren't as meaningful, but that's not why you would buy a blues album. On his best track, "Little Wing", in my opinion, there are no lyrics. But I will give it a 5 so as not to detract from the overall rating which this deserves. // 10

Overall Impression: Next to Texas Flood, this is my personal favorite album of Vaughan's career. Some of the most striking tracks are, "The Sky is Crying," "Chitlins Con Carne," "May I Have A Talk With You," "Little Wing," and "Empty Arms." But do not misinterpret this, it is not an album with only a few worthy songs on it, every song is stellar. It is definitely worth any price at which a store is selling it. Personally, I would buy it just for the track "Little Wing." I can't say enough about how amazing this rendition fo the classic Hendrix song is. You must buy this cd if you are in to blues at all. // 10

The Sky Is Crying Reviewed by: geluidsterroris, on february 11, 2008

Sound: Stephen "Stevie" Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 - August 27, 1990), born in Dallas, Texas, was an American blues-rock guitarist. His broad appeal made him one of the world's most influential electric blues guitarists. Known for his warm blues rock tone, Vaughan characteristically used very heavy strings on his guitar ranging from 11 to 13-gauge sets to give a fuller sound which he tuned down a half-step to the key of E flat. In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Stevie Ray Vaughan #7 in their list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time, and Classic Rock Magazine ranked him #3 in their list of the 100 Wildest Guitar Heroes in 2007. He was the younger brother of Jimmie Vaughan, born 1951. The Sky Is Crying is an electric blues album containing studio performances spanning most of the career of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Released about one year after Vaughan's death in 1990, the album features ten tracks originally recorded between 1984 and 1989. The Sky is Crying illustrates many of Vaughan's musical influences, including songs in the style of traditional Delta blues, Chicago blues, jump blues, jazz blues, and Jimi Hendrix. The album's tone alternates primarily between uptempo pieces and gritty, slow blues. The album includes a Grammy-winning extended instrumental cover version of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing"; "Chitlins Con Carne", a jazz instrumental; and "Life By The Drop", an acoustic guitar performance looking back on Vaughan's substance abuse. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't really complicated. It's about love, happiness and sadness. They comply very well with the music. After some text, Stevie Ray says the same, but not again with words, but with his guitar. You hear that guitar speaking, you feel the expression. It would even be possible to understand the meaning of the song without any singing. I like the music better than the singing (because I'm a guitar player) but the singing is also pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: I would compare it to other SRV albums (of course) and in fact all other texas blues music. It is different from other texas blues, you hear the style of the guitar solo's, but the rythm is pretty much the same as other texas blues stuff. I think the two best songs are "so excited" and "empty arms". The song "empty arms" has shown up earlier on the album "soul to soul", but this version is a bit faster. "so excited" is instrumental, and the song makes me feel really energetic. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy it again, and again, and again! // 10

More Stevie Ray Vaughan reviews rating latest review