Psalms Of Conscious Martyrdom Review

stigmata: Psalms Of Conscious Martyrdom
Released: Jun 26, 2010
Genre: Heavy/Power Metal, Hard Rock
Label: M Entertainment
Stigmata is a pioneering band of Sri Lankan metal industry, which has almost been non existent in the earlier years. The third full length album by the band pushes the boundaries of metal and going to lengths far than what a conventional metal album would consist.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Psalms Of Conscious Martyrdom Reviewed by: LokiMelkoR, on december 12, 2011

Sound: Stigmata is a pioneering band of Sri Lankan metal industry, which has almost been non existent in the earlier years. The bands sound cannot be compared equally compared by any other metal band. However inspirations by bands/artists like Judas Priest, Arsis, Opeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Death, Morbid Angel, Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, can be noted. The third full length album by the band pushes the boundaries of metal and going to lengths far than what a conventional metal album would consist. Album consisting 8 songs the band have not limited themselves to any specific genre when going through the album. Elements of Progressive, Thrash, Death Metal can specially noted and many other such as "Baila", "Wannam" incorporating local musical instruments such as "Geta-bera" which are native Sri Lankan musical forms and Thus the band lists their genre as "Pure Sri Lankan Metal". Songs are not the traditional radio airing time, and only the tracks "If Alpha Meets Omega" an instrumental which goes almost 3 minutes and "Purer" stops at almost 5 minutes can be called short. Rest is lengthy. In my personal opinion as the album title means, the album speaks about the perseverance, commitment of the band through its 10 years musical journey up to this album, and how they regard music as their religion. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are not blunt straight forward. Cryptic and even I am not confident enough to de-crypt them. How ever, unlike boring structures of words, the lyrics create uses a large amount of imagery and thus if you close your eye's you can actually "see things" (I don't know how to put that idea, but that is the best way I can tell it to you). The Music that supports in a great deal to create the imagery I have above mentioned, diverse guitar riffs, solo's, support the lyrical structure and the song in whole is driven to the listener. Vocals are very powerful and can notice influences by likes of Rob Halford though gas growls, screams taking the vocals to another level. // 8

Overall Impression: In a whole the album is stand alone and as mentioned is in my sense unequal to another, has vast number of elements. To me the most touched song would be "A Dead Rose Wails For Light", its composition had been always touching to me in every way, and I believe many would feel so. What I love about this album is as mentioned does not cater any thing specific "in the box", but more diverse plus therefore the album is never boring to listen to. // 9

Comments