Logic Will Break Your Heart Review

stills: Logic Will Break Your Heart
Released: October 21, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Post-Grunge
On their debut album The Stills are stubbornly unyielding when it comes to being put in the same class as the Walkmen, Interpol, and the like.
Logic Will Break Your Heart Reviewed by: kcsk8r, on july 05, 2004

Sound: This emo band is one of the few that I like. Their music has a great feel to it, and can get inside your head easily. They combine in their music rock and the so-called "emo-punk", which also adds an edge to their band that most don't have. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are fantastic. They agree with the music in such a way, that I have never heard of anyone not liking the Stills. The Stills are the next big thing. I will be impatiently waiting their next release, even for the rest of my life. Their singer, like most, could be a little better though. // 10

Overall Impression: My cousin Justin gave me this cd and told me to listen to it, and that they were like an emo Interpol. I had my doubts, because normally I will not listen to emo, but this band kicks. The most impressive songs on this album would have to be number 1, Lola Stars and Stripes, number 2, Gender Bombs, and number 12, Yesterday Never Tomorrow. // 10

Logic Will Break Your Heart Reviewed by: Cowboy Angel, on august 02, 2004

Sound: These guys go for a unmistakeably 80s sound, that always makes me think of the music you hear in Donnie Darko - that alternative stuff like INXS, Tears For Fears, etc. I don't usually like bands with synthesiser effects on their songs, but The Stills are something else altogether. The drummer's the best, though, especially that beat he gets on Changes Are No Good; so frantic and powerful, but easily under control. The guitar sound is awesome - simplistic, but atmospheric - the solos, when they pop their heads up, are reminiscent of The Doors' Robby Krieger, and his thoughtful instrumentals. I know it takes all the group to create the sound, but the drummer is still the star of the album in my eyes. // 10

Lyrics: The vast majority of lyrics involve love, excepting one song about Animals & Insects not doing drugs. The title of the album alone is pure poetry - "Logic Will Break Your Heart". The singer (I don't know what his name is; my girlfriend lent me the album and I copied it onto my PC - I'm listening to it now) has his moments, but I'm not actually sure whether he's american or not - his voice varies between songs. They really have it on the lyrics front, though - check this out from "Lola Stars & Stripes": "Can you take me back to that place where stars glow? Come, let's swarm like fireflies, outside your window" and the immortal refrain - "Are you afraid? You always said the world would never last... but are you afraid?" That, guitarists and music lovers everywhere, is first class, original songwriting. // 10

Overall Impression: "Changes Are No Good", "Love and Death", "Lola Stars & Stripes", "Still In Love Song" and "Alison Krausse" are the ones that really get me. I couldn't possibly say what other bands they sound like - I don't know many 80s alternative bands. The Stills create the same sort of mood in this album as Tears For Fears and INXS, but their actual sound is very much unique. The only substantial criticism I can think of is the synthesisers on "Animals & Insects" and "Ready For It" - like I said before, I'm not a huge fan of synthesisers. In fact, I hate synthesisers. So I usually skip these tracks. I love the rest of it, though. Check this album out, I'm serious. I might buy it just so I can say I own it. Since I don't own it at this moment in time, I couldn't say whether I'd buy it a second time - especially since I haven't bought the first time yet. It's fantastic nonetheless, so the next time you're trawling around the record store, look this one up. // 10

Logic Will Break Your Heart Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2005

Sound: This band is one of the most underrated bands of all time. There music is amazing it mixes synth lines with great guitar riffs and is complemented beautifully by awesome vocals. The sound on this album is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the strongest thing on the whole album. They deal with issues like aftermath of 9/11 and other topical issues. // 10

Overall Impression: This is The Stills debut album and I will to you know it is going to be hard to beat! The most impressive songs on the album are; Lola Stars And Stripes, Changes Are No Good and the first single Still In Love. The thing I love about this album is that it good of quite simply became another strokes sound album but the band stayed clear of this and have conceived a brilliant debut album. If this CD were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again and I urge fans of Interpol, The Strokes ect. To buy this album I can guarantee you will be impressed. // 10

Comments