Ten Summoner's Tales Review

artist: sting date: 09/06/2006 category: compact discs
sting: Ten Summoner's Tales
Release Date: Mar 9, 1993
Label: A&M
Genres: Adult Contemporary, Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Soft Rock, Album Rock
As an album, Ten Summoner's Tales is more consistently satisfying than anything else in his catalog.
 8.7
 8.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Ten Summoner's Tales Reviewed by: patterson_22, on september 06, 2006

Sound: When you listen to this CD you're gunna here some of Sting's best stuff, and, unlike many of his solo albums, there isn't a token snoozer. This album is one that defines Sting as a top notch musician. It seems as though he was aiming more to have fun more than anything, with songs like She's Too Good For Me, St. Augustine In Hell, and Epilogue (Nothing 'Bout Me). Although, none of the songs were bad, the songs Love Is Stronger Than Justice, Something the Boy Said, and It's Probably Me seemed to be missing that something that would make them stellar songs. Shape Of My Heart on the other hand is considered by many to have one of the best acoustic arrangement around. And of course, this album has the mega hit If I Ever Loose My Faith In You. // 9

Lyrics: Overall the songs are based off of "bad love." It seems Sting's having a though time, with songs like She's Too Good For Me, and Shape Of My Heart. Solid, clever lyrics though, especially in Epilogue (Nothing 'Bout Me) and Love Is Stronger Than Justice. Sting's voice is the same ol' Sting, good, but at the same time he never really tries anything new. If you like his previous stuff, you'll love this album, but if not then you might not fair much better. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is much tighter than Dream of the Blue Turtles, and very well produced. Dominic has some pretty nice guitar work, I love it. Sting does take a new route sound wise, but as said before it probably won't change those who already have their mind made up about him. The biggest problem with the album is that it might be too soft, and less playful than the "Turtles" album. But I like it. I've had to buy the CD twice so, I personally won't complain much. All in all, this is a very solid CD and you can't go wrong with the 3-4 top songs! // 9

More Sting reviews rating latest review
+ The Last Ship 8.1 10/02/2013