Second Coming Review

stone roses: Second Coming
Release Date: Dec 1994
Label: Geffen
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop, Post-Grunge
It might not be the long-awaited masterpiece it was rumored to be, but Second Coming is a fine sophomore effort.
 8.6
 9.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Second Coming Reviewed by: Aztec7846, on july 08, 2008

Sound: The Stone Roses' album "Second Coming" is reknown for having the Led Zep like sound, well I tend to disagree. I think it's a brilliant album and takes on its own sound. Second coming is quite mellow has some cracker basslines and guitar riffs that adopt Hard rock, however keep that unique indie stone roses sound and gives a beautiful result, Example Love Spreads. Brilliant song. Now for those people who say "But those boring and stupid little silent tribal parts" (Breaking into heaven 4 mins, bongo and tribal/ jungle noises). Don't like it? Skip that little part. I can tell you though waiting 4 minutes for breaking into heaven is definitly worth it. The album second coming was co-produced by John Squire the guitarist in Stone roses, so it wasn't entirely all of Ian Brown's work. Infact Squire had composed more songs compared to Brown in this album which explains the dominance in guitar work through out the album. // 9

Lyrics: Overall Impressions of the Lyrics? I love them, Easy to sing along with in most cases but don't have to much meaning. Getting high and making love. Example the first lyrics for breaking into heaven are "I've been casing your joint for the best years of my life". Ian Brown. Singing skills? Same as always, Nothing riveting, but perfect for the music. // 7

Overall Impression: In comparison to the self-titled album, I would lean towards the self-titled album. Lyrics aren't the vibe of this album but are quite catchy. I think this album is more in depth than the last album hence Second coming's ability to captivate its audience. If you liked the first album then yes I say buy this album. Second Coming is a classic album and is simply Stone Roses. // 8

More Stone Roses reviews rating latest review