The Stone Roses Review

stone roses: The Stone Roses
Released: Jul 1989
Label: Silvertone
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop, College Rock, Shoegaze Indie Rock, British Trad Rock, Madchester, Indie Pop, Alternative Dance
The psychedlic dance extravaganza that was The Stone Roses ushered in the era of Madchester, baggy trousers, Kangols, and the Hacienda.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.8
 9.4
The Stone Roses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2005

Sound: Melodic, epic, dance record that should have been bigger than it was pave the way for most of the brit music of the '90s. John Squire the greatest guitarist of his generation, ian brown invented the word swagger, bass from Rani pounding amazing rhythm sec with Reni the first man to play break and dance beats on a drum kit, no one sounds like them. In the era of E's and the begining of the manchester scene no cooler sound than the roses an album way before its time still sound up to date. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Wanna Be Adored - amazing intro to an album and the band not alot of lyrics in this song but they make it work "don't have to sell ma soul hes already in me." 02. She Bangs The Drums - sound like hes singing about a chick palying with his balls. Best bass line ever driving the song through. Part from being a bit repetitive brilliant tune. 03. Waterfall - classic chiming guitar mad lyrics about some girl getting to fuck away from it all. The drums and bass landmark. 04. Don't Stop - sounds like waterfall backwards trippy tune, for the spliff kicking in half way through the album. 05. Bye Bye Badman - the lyrics in this tune are relevant to the front cover which is painted bye Squire (guitarist), he done all the covers for their albums and singles. The song is about french students reblling in paris at the end of the sixties and been gassed by the man, they had to suck on lemons to breathe. 06. Elizibeth My Dear - this song is about killing the queen you can hear a sniper rifle fire half way through the song. Short song but cool as. 07. Sugar Spun Sister - f--k knows what this is about but another great tune. 08. Made Of Stone - another classic darkest song on the album amazing riff from squire eery verses with an uplifting chorus blows you away. 09. Shoot You Down - sweet tune "time has come to shoot you down" just chills you out again. 10. This Is The One & I Am The Ressurection - then it picks you back up an kicks you right in the nuts with these two classics first lyrics on the album are "I dont have to sell my soul hes already in me, I wanna be adored" last lyrics on the album "I am the ressurection and I am the light" with the best jammin instrumental outro to a an album you ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a must have for any true music fan. They say music is a matter of opinion but with the roses its just the bussiness no matter what your into influences from The Clash to Simon And Garfunkel, Bob Marley to Van Halen just 1st class. Since that time period it seems a lot of bands go for a big anthem sound the difference is they bands plan all that shit and spend years trying, wer as The Stone Roses for a debut just done that through feeling they kicked it of. Sound like no one else greatest band never to have made it big. F--king shame but still I'm telling you now so ithe legends living. Check out the remixes album too with likes of Oakenfold on Waterfall and Grooverider on ther classic single Fools Gold. // 10

The Stone Roses Reviewed by: lazyboat, on march 25, 2006

Sound: The Stone Roses eponymous self titled debut ranks among the best debuts in history due in large part to the sound that John Squire creates with layers and layers of guitars and shimmering effects that give the album a timelessness that many records strive to get but few achieve. The guitars conjure up dance infected riffs whilst still maintaining pop/rock sensibilities, and stood out in it's time against the moaning morrissey and the grunge revolution. The rhythm section of Mani and Reni is in a word outstanding hinting at dance with grooving, winding bass lines and effortless drums without overtly giving into dance. Brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: Much has been made over Ian Brown's lack of vocal ability but for me his lack of vocal range does not matter, what matters is his total style and arrogance in the way he whispers out the words, expecting adoration and getting it. His lyrics together with John Squire's conjure up vivid depictions of Manchester at the turn of the '90s whilst at the same time telling tales influenced by drugs and phychedelia. Whether it's an unflinching attack on the monarchy or an acid trip for the ears, Ian Brown is unquestionably great. // 9

Overall Impression: If I were forced to pick, Waterfall, I Wanna Be Adored and I am the Resurrection rank as stone cold classics, however the whole album is a classic, it sounds like an alien album that has come from out of it's time showing that relatively recent music can still stand up with the greats. There is nothing not to like about this album, dazzling, mindblowing and life affirming, blowing all that was around it out of the water and clearing the way for a whole new generation of musicians up to the present day, they wanna be adored, they have their wish. // 10

The Stone Roses Reviewed by: rob ryan, on november 04, 2005

Sound: This is one of the greatest albums ever to be be recorded and should be owned by anybody that gives a shit about indie music. The band have their own unique echoey sound, with their thumping drum and bass rythms, cosmic guitar sounds and Ian Brown's melodic vocals. The album took a long time to record it but it definitely paid off. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. Sometimes they don't make sense, well come to think of it not many of the make sense but they still sound excellent. For instance 'I Wanna Be Adored' is " I don't have to sell my soul, he's already in me" the whole way through, but the way that Ian Brown sings it and the way it goes with the music is fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely a true great! It always appears in 'best album ever' polls in magazines and TV shows etc, and is my 2nd favourite album of all time (1st being 'Definitely Maybe' by Oasis). I love everything about it and if it were stolen I would repace it as soon as possible! // 10

More Stone Roses reviews rating latest review