Come What(ever) May Review

stone sour: Come What(ever) May
Release Date: Aug 1, 2006
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
If there is one thing that Stone Sour proves on its latest CD Come What(ever) May, it?s that it will be a hard task indeed to pigeonhole them.
 9.2
 9.3
Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2006

Sound: If there is one thing that Stone Sour proves on its latest CD Come What(ever) May, it's that it will be a hard task indeed to pigeonhole them. On the band's second major-label offering, with the styles differing so much from song to song, vocalist Corey Taylor shows that he is much more than one of Slipknot's masked men. Rounded out by guitarists James Root (another Slipknot member) and Josh Rand, bassist Shawn Economaki, and new drummer Roy Mayorga, Stone Sour make a distinct effort to create layers on their songs that many bands don't have these days. Although Taylor may receive the spotlight much of the time because of his frontman status, most of the credit really needs to go to the amazing guitar work by James Root and Josh Rand. The two guitarists provide the most interesting aspects of the album and make Come What(ever) May much more than just another metal band. From the first track 30/30-150, in which a beautifully executed dual guitar solo is played by Root and Rand, listeners know they can at least expect quality axe work. One of the standout tracks is Hell & Consequences, which contains the best guitar solo on the record. Straying from the song's basic rock foundation, guitarist Josh Rand offers up a solo that is full of Middle-Eastern flavor. You're not expecting it and that's the best part. While the rest of Hell & Consequences has a catchy chorus and features some of Taylor's best vocals, it is during the guitar solo that the song is the most effective. There are weak moments in the CD where the songs almost seem bland in comparison with Stone Sour's more impressive tracks. Made Of Scars is not a bad track, but it lacks the musical intricacy that can be heard in Hell & Consequences. Likewise, Through Glass is a pleasing ballad that most likely fans of Stone Sour will adore, but it does rely too much on one lyric that repeats over and over for most of the song. // 8

Lyrics: Stone Sour's lyrics definitely carry a testosterone-driven theme in many cases, and fans probably wouldn't want it any other way. In Socio Taylor sings, I don't know what's wrong; It's like I'm too far gone; It doesn't matter anyway. The lyrics do get a bit predictable in some songs with similar themes as Socio, and the band proves they have more interesting ways of relaying the anger and/or pain. In Come What(ever) May, there is a very different feel to the lyrics, with a more specific style to the writing and sounds as if it's an ode to President Bush. Taylor sings, Can you take away every single day; That we have given to another false prophet, and later goes on to sing, Show your pretty face; hide the bitter taste; You're still the rapist of an entire nation. The rhyming is a little bit more unexpected and results in a much more interesting and thought-provoking track. // 8

Overall Impression: Stone Sour has a sound all of its own, and that is probably the most refreshing element to the band. Leaving behind the Slipknot ties, vocalist Taylor and guitarist James Root have created a distinct sound that deserves praise in its own right. The new CD is not afraid to go soft at times, and hearing a ballad just a few minutes after experiencing a pounding double bass pedal is actually quite a treat. Fans of the Stone Sour's first CD will likely love the new one, even with its imperfections. There is plenty to recognize, particularly the solid guitar solos that are featured throughout Come What(ever) May. A few times the band does sound a bit too much like other rock bands out there today, but the solid musicianship heard on the record is not so common these days -- and that in itself is a godsend. // 8

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: PLOP, on july 21, 2006

Sound: Stone Sour have grown up, and have extremely matured with their songwriting skills. Their are more displays of techinichality, with more complex riffs and guitar solos. They manage to juggle melodic and hard rock extremely well, although many songs (Through Glass being a perfect example) seem to have been made just for the "$$$" factor, although it is a big step for the band, as they have moved away from their nu-metal, old Slipknot style and are re-inventing themselves. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics don't seem to be random, as if words were shoved together as they ryhmed. Now the lyrics have more meaning to them, and it is clear that the band didn't rush the lyrics themselves. Many songs (30/30-150 and Hell & Consequences for example) and still based on a theme around getting back at someone, and being very angry in the process, but they still sound good. The best song in terms of lyrics is either Through Glass or Come What(ever) May. Through glass, as the brilliant line "When something like a soul, Becomes Initialized and folded up, Like paper dolls and little notes, you can't expect abit of hope" and stone sour have made a song about George Bush, which is the title track. This is a brialliant track, with brilliant lyrics in my opinion that make me wanna go up to George Bush and slap him. // 9

Overall Impression: What I love about this album, is how Stone Sour have paid much more attention to their work, and have grown up and matured as musicians. I think and hope that this album will get rid of the idea most people have about them as being Corey and Jims Twin Sell-out/Slipknot band and I hope this will establish them as the evolving songwriters they are. The next album, hopefully will carry on with this aswell. The most impressive songs on the album, are Through Glass, Come What(ever) May, Cardiff, Socio, Zzyxz Rd. and Sillyworld, although they all kick ass in my opinion. I downloaded the leaked version of this album, I would have bought it anyway, and I still am, but I urge you to go and buy it and support this band, as it is obvious they have take great care and poured large amounts of effort into this, to which I can only say go buy this album! // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: oh... THAT guy, on may 21, 2007

Sound: Being a massive fan of the first CD, I eagerly anticipated this CD, I instantly pre-ordered it from play.com the second I knew it was coming out, (as I have with the 2-Disc Special Edition), and I rushed home the day it came out to find it lying on my floor, and then I put it in my CD player and read the lyrics as it played. It is incredible, and well up to the standard the the self-titled. A must-buy for anyone who likes them. // 10

Lyrics: OK, Corey's screaming isn't as brutal as the first one, but that's what I expected after hearing Slipknot's Vol.3 (Corey & Jim are in both bands, for the noobs.) But since The majority of Stone Sour is melodic singing rather than Heart-Pounding screaming, it's no big loss. His screams are as intense as ever, (see the chorus of Reborn to see what I mean) and it all fits so perfectly with the lyrics. Lyrics like "Can you take away every single day? That we have given to another false prophet Can you give us all a reason not to fall? Before you take away another broken promise" are very obviously about George W. Bush, and so, so good. The lyrics never stray from the subject, as with most of Corey's lyrics, and are usually not as cryptic as they might seem. // 10

Overall Impression: Bands usually get better and find themselves more with time. And this greatly exceeded the expectations set by the first album, and covers so many different genres and subgenres. Do yourself a favour and buy this album. // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 21, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing. The guitars on this album are outraging and Jim and the other guitarist play their heart out on this one. The drums on this album are I think a bit softer than their previous album. The bass is really good on this album and its just enjoyable to hear. I was actually really impressed with the sound on this album becauase it would go into something soft then it turn into something really heavy like the song 30/30-150. // 10

Lyrics: Well Corey Taylor has always been one of the best songwriters whether he writes some insane stuff or some brutally soft stuff. Well Corey on this album shows a bit more emotion in his songs than the preious album. There is a song on this album called Through Glass and the lyrics in it are very deep and emotional and I can kind of relate to it. // 10

Overall Impression: Well this album cannot compare to any other artists because Stone Sour have their own grunge and metal sound. I dont have any favourite songs on this album all of them kick brutal ass. I love everything about but I must say their self-title release had way more solos than this album. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again because this album kicks complete ass. I would recommend this album to any fans of Slipknot, metal, and grunge fans. Trust me it is not an album you want to skip. // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: x8DisturbeD8x, on august 03, 2006

Sound: When you put this album in your hit with the double bass of 30/30-150. It's truely an awesome sound throughout the whole album. As far as the singing is great, but Corey Taylor's screaming is not at it's best. Another thing that I like that they added is a few guitar solos, that seem to kinda flow with the music and are quite awesome. But it's a good sounding album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were very well written I think and for the most part flowed with the music quite well. As far as singer skills it's like I said in the sound Corey can sing very well, but his screaming is not at it's best. But it's a good album in the lyrical section. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was in my opinion was just as good as Slipknot's Vol. 3 if not better. I can't compare it to Stone Sour's 1st album because right now I don't have it, but it is now one of the CDs I am going to but in the near future. But to me some of the best songs are 30/30-150, Come What(ever) May, and Through Glass are my top 3 in this album. I love the way it was not just all out double bass, screaming, heavy stuff. Every forth track was a "soft type" song. But without a question I would buy this album again if anything happened to it at all. // 9

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: richard_666, on august 15, 2006

Sound: What sets Stone Sour apart from others of their breed is the band's ability to create smooth, (some) radio-friendly alternative metal songs while simultaneously not boring the people who have heard way too much from post-grunge groups. The secret to this lies in guitarist James Root's unique style and drummer Roy Mayorga's unyielding intensity. Root and singer Corey Taylor re-created Stone Sour after the success of Slipknot in the late '90s; the band was meant to serve as a more introspective, melodic, and creative outlet for them, while not disenfranchising the fans of Slipknot. Stone Sour are more fierce than most alternative metal groups, incorporating brash heavy metal into many of their songs. The band's aggressive self-titled debut was far more reminiscent of Slipknot, but Come What(ever) May is moving further and further away from the shock rock, rap-rock aspect that originally brought Slipknot into the mainstream. Taylor lets loose his nearly metal growl (which is nearly untouchable compared to most of his contemporaries) on occasion, but maybe not as often as he should. The album's better moments are felt when his relentless, vicious pipes -- coupled with distortion-heavy riffs and double bass drum -- forge their way through the immaculately produced sound. Come What(ever) May starts out strong with the bass drum-heavy "30/30-150." The song explodes out of the speakers; it's a solid metal start for an album that dips between alternative rock, heavy metal, and post-grunge. Unfortunately, the album isn't always interesting. Songs like "Through Glass" are your average run-of-the-mill alternative metal tunes, and after a certain point the album seems to have little new to offer. "Sillyworld" follows along the same lines, but still has more in common with Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" than a Godsmack song. Still, Come What(ever) May has plenty of shining moments and it rocks hard, channeling heavy metal and blending it with alternative melodies. It's an unyielding effort from a promising talent, one that might just help save alternative metal from becoming deeply generic. // 10

Lyrics: Overall impression of the lyrics is extremely good. Corey Taylor has put some powerfull lyrics into this album and in some of the songs you can feel jusr how powerfull they are. For example "Through Glass" this song is a little repetative but with all respects it makes you think that corey has some valid points to make. As for the music they both run smoothly together. "30/30 150" is a great example of this. The intro beggins heavy and as all the instruments join it's like the lyrics natrally fit in. Finally coreys tallent of singing come as a surprise to some people. He is able to scream and then move to smoothly to some impressing singing. Corey is able to sing to all the songs on this album whether they are fast, slow, heavy or calm he can sing to them all. // 10

Overall Impression: After reading some comments to other reviews people have said it has got a little nickleback in it. I'm my opinion, it is nothing like Nickleback and it has it's own sound. The guitarists, James Root and Josh Rand, are able to work well with each other for example the song "Socio" at the begining of this song the two guitarist work together and as the bass and drums come in it gives corey his chance to show his skills as a singer. There's not a lot I dislike about the album apart from on eor two repetative songs but aprt from that you get to some exiting music. And if I losy this album I would deffinatly go out and buy another album. // 9

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: exe67, on august 31, 2006

Sound: This album is without a doubt 10x better than their debut album. Jim and Corey both agreed in an interview that this album had much more musicianship than their previous one did. Obviously, that goes without saying that we should've expected great things. And great things are what we got. There is nothing wrong with this album at all. // 10

Lyrics: As most fans of Stone Sour and Slipknot may have noticed, Corey Taylor's voice is definitely not what it used to be. His growls are almost non-existant, and his screams are high pitched instead of low death sounding screams. But this is not a terrible thing. This change in style has opened up many changes to his singing in general. Even though it's not all there, it's still much better. it's hard to describe but any real fan knows exactly what I mean. As far as the lyrics go, they are amazing as always. Corey is definitely one of the best lyricist's out there. // 9

Overall Impression: Come What(ever) May beats self-titled Stone Sour by a mile. While it's generally not AS heavy, it still is heavy. This album will not dissapoint any fan, or even people that aren't fans. This album is a great guideline for Stone Sour, and even Slipknots sound. The most impressive songs are definitely 30/30-150, Reborn, and Through Glass. Quite ironically, those are the 3 they have chosen to release. Anyway, there is not a single bad song on the whole album. And that is what I love about it. there's really nothing to hate here. If it were lost or stolen I would most definitely replace it! // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: Bearcat510, on september 02, 2006

Sound: It's hard to sum up the sound of this album in one word or sentence because Stone Sour has so many sounds and styles on Come What(ever) May. Those who like Slipknot won't be disappointed because the fact that Corey and Jim are both in Slipknot shows. Songs like 30/30-150 and Reborn are heavier and Slipknot fans will probably take quickly to these. Other songs like Through Glass and Zzyxx Road showcase Corey's vocal talent and anyone who liked Bother will like these two a lot. Cardiff sounds a lot like the songs on their self titled debut album. They even go back to an older rock sound for one song (Sillyworld). The verses are very reminiscent of Pink Floyd, while the chorus sounds a lot more like traditional Stone Sour. There is also an '80s style solo that comes out of nowhere and is one of the best solos on the album. And that's something there are a lot of on the album. Josh Rand and Jim Root are brilliant guitarists and there is a great solo in almost every song. Even Corey contributes a solo at the very end of Zzyxx Road. Anyone who enjoyed Stone Sour's first ablum will like this one as well. // 9

Lyrics: I'm definetly not the first to say it, but Corey Taylor is one of the most brilliant song writers in music today. He also does an amazing job conveying his emotions in each song. He draws on a lot of past experiences in Zzyxx Road, and you can feel his anger in songs like Come What(ever) May and 30/30-150. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is another great album from a great band. You'll find yourself constantly coming back for more, and the songs will be stuck in your head even if you haven't listened to the album in a while. The most impressive songs are Hell and Consequences, Come What(ever) May and Through Glass. Anyone who liked Bother will also be very impressed by Zzyxx Road. I also liked 30/30-150 and Your God a lot. In fact there isn't a song on this CD that I skip when listening to it. I really can't find anything I hate or even dislike about the album, and if it were lost or stolen I would definetly buy it again. Overall a great album that has me eagerly awaiting their next one. // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 04, 2006

Sound: Corey Taylor's new band after Slipknot. Stone Sour's new CD is awesome (not as good as Slipknot, but very close), Corey took his nu-metal vocals and somehow turned it around into alternative metal, and post-grunge? Every song on this CD is freaking-tabulous, cause it shows another side of Corey and shows you he's not restriced to only certain genres. // 9

Lyrics: All of the lyrics are just as good as Slipknot's, but I'm sure you've heard "Through Glass", one of Stone Sour's hits? That's the only song I don't like, all of the rhyming is a bit of an overkill. It's still a good, but my least favorite out of all of them. But in that song, you can really hear Corey's distinguished voice and you can tell that he has great vocals. // 7

Overall Impression: Stone Sour's "Come What(ever) May" compares to their 1st album, but if you're expecting something exactly like Slipknot, well, they are fairly different. My favorite songs on this album are "1st Person" "30/30-150" "Zzyzx rd." and "Cardiff" This is a really cool album, you'll like it if you loved Slipknot, like me, or if you liked a couple of Slipknot's songs, but the rest were to heavy to your fragile, non-metal loving ears. // 8

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2006

Sound: 'Come What(ever) May', Stone Sour's newest album, has been unlikely to disappoint the awaiting fans. Throwing together a mix of aggression, hate and desperation has resulted in a slap in the face for critics of their latest release. The album goes from two extremes, the melodic piano sound of 'ZZXYZ Road', to the double guitar solos and excessive drumming of '30/30-150' and does not disappoint the listener. Far from the screaming chaos that is Slipknot, Corey Taylor's voice has no doubt matured after recuperating from his alcohol addiction, giving Stone Sour the ability to express their emotions in many different forms. As with every album there is no doubt a story behind 'Come What(ever) May'. Some of the songs, including 'ZZXYZ Road' and the single 'Come What(ever) May' are clearly political, one, a view point of a fighting Soldier in Iraq and the other a fierce demonstration against George Bush. The origins of some of the other songs on the album are not too clear. The hit single '30/30-150' has been the subject of much discussion in countless chat rooms across the Internet. The meaning, known only by the members of the band, is ambiguous, ideas surrounding his alcohol addiction or suicidal thoughts have been popular. Corey has said that he plans to sell the meaning on eBay in the future to see how much people would pay, whether the meaning will come out before then is not clear at all. // 9

Lyrics: Listeners of music outside of the metal genre seem to agree that all songs seem to sound the same. The variety of the lyrics in this album certainly put this idea in its place. The use of language in each song, sets it apart from the others in the album, even if the subjects are quite similar. Not only do the lyrics tell the listener what the song is about, it also puts them in a variety of moods. Lyrics such as "I don't want to be an angel, I just want to be GOD!" - '30/30-150' or "You don't want a enemy, don't f--k with my life!" Would get a far different reaction to lyrics such as "I don't know how else to put this, it's taken me so long to do this" or 'How Do You Feel?' That is the question, but I forget you don't expect an easy answer", the first set of lyrics giving an adrenaline pumped deliverance, sending the listener into fits of headbanging whereas the second two are more relaxed and make the listener actually listen. Although some people argue about the quality of the lyrics, there can be no disagreement that the deliverance of each and every word via Corey Taylor is flawless. There are parts in some songs when the it is possible to hear the harsh edge of Taylor's voice as a result of drinking, however, this usually only adds to the emotion involved. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is by far one of the best I have purchased, ranging from melodic to metal and still keeping the attention of the listener. Many music magazines have considered this in their top 3 albums of the year and I must say I think it's a shoe-in for number one. Once you have purchased the album there are several songs which you should listen to immeadietly. ZZYXZ Road - this is down to the sheer brilliance and the emotional atmosphere created when you listen to it. 30/30-150 - this adrenaline pumped song can not be missed. Besides from sending the listener into a fit of questioning about the meaning, this song is a 'get your ass up and move it song which makes you want to do something, only you're not sure what. Your God - one giant ego trip straight from the mind of Corey. The reaction the listener should have, apart from enjoying it, is ambiguous, but for some reason you always end up singing it in the shower. Well, I did anyway. By the time you have finished listening to this album, you would have either had broken your bed by jumping on it too much or you would have hemmoraged your brain due to head banging. Thankfully I did the former. There is nothing to hate about this album apart from the abiguity of the meaning of certain songs. If this album was stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again. If you do not have this album, your music collection is not complete. // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: DuffMcKagan7179, on july 03, 2007

Sound: As a band that had become more of a side project to Slipknot, Stone Sour's second effort is a musically solid, meaningful album. Loaded with everything from political to social commentary, well-thought-out and -executed solos, and a creative rhythm section, Stone Sour hits hard. 01. 30/30-150 - a great headbanging trip, a frantic sixteenth-note blitz with double kicks to match. This is a great song to work on rhythm with. 02. Come What(ever) May - the title track is a lyrically scathing commentary on politics and George Bush, with a flowing beat and fiery solos. 03. Hell & Consequences - more of a declaration of independence than what it sounds like (an angry rant), the Arabic-themed solo will keep you entertained the whole song through. 04. Sillyworld - on't let the pseudo-acoustic intro fool you, the song progresses into something much angrier than one might think. Social commentary included with purchase. 05. Made Of Scars - a decent song whose only fault is sounding thrown together, the sections don't mesh as well as they could. 06. Reborn - the lyrics say it all: "This is the start of something!" A fast-paced bruiser with a Nirvana-style approach (quiet, loud, repeat). 07. Your God - a longer arrangement, but one well worth the length. 08. Through Glass - a simple, yet beautiful, acoustic song, with well-orchestrated guitar parts. 09. Socio - a song that does a great job of conveying angst without heavy use of power chords and distortion, heck, maybe even mainstream radio fodder. 10. 1st Person - heavy, fast, and angsty; everything you look for in a metal song! 11. Cardiff - I'm sure the song means something, but I can't figure it out. Manages to make a point that usually requires screaming, without screaming. 12. Zzyzx Rd. - an astounding roller coaster of piano, softly whispered vocals, and what sounds like a man spilling his fears to you. It then progresses into an amazing showcase of the band's ability to suit any emotion thrown at them, as well as Corey's shredding abilities. // 9

Lyrics: Corey Taylor does a good job of broadening his horizons lyrically, coaxing out every feeling from blind fury to sympathy without sounding pretentious at all. His lyrics mesh beautifully with the music itself, and his abilities speak for themselves. The lyrics actually mean something, which is a huge plus for a modern rock/metal band. // 9

Overall Impression: Stone Sour is definitely an underrated act in modern rock and metal, as this record proves that they are a force to be reckoned with. What was a side project is now the main event, and the group feels much more natural than Taylor and Root's previous excursions with Slipknot. Highlights off the album: 30/30-150, Come What(ever) May, Reborn, Socio, and Zzyzx Rd. I love that the band is able to cover such a spectrum of styles, and that Corey's screaming is no longer such a huge part of the music. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely go out and get the same disc again. // 10

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 10, 2007

Sound: Mick must be behind all of the guitar sounds in Slipknot because Jim Root and Josh Rand have a really toned down guitar sound. It is still heavy but not as heavy as I expected but it's okay. Shawn is a good bassist and all I can say is that I wished they could have mixed him in with a higher volume. I don't think the band was going for a hidden meaning of any sort because none of the songs seem to fit together but that doesn't mean you may find somethin' in there. // 9

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is a great singer and he can project his voice quite well. However, the lyrics he submits are sometimes just standard heavy metal pissed teen songs but not in this case. Songs like 30/30-150 make me wonder what Taylor is trying to convey to me. While beautiful songs like Zzyzx Rd. are pretty obvious what they are about. The song Reborn sounds like Corey is telling everyone he was born with Slipknot and will be born with Stone Sour the same way. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a pretty good album all around I'd say and I think that this is a good album to listen to during an entire day. It starts ravished, continues to vary and then ends on a tired note. If this was taken away from me I would just take it right back because I know what I like and I like this! // 9

Come What(ever) May Reviewed by: Stonez, on july 21, 2008

Sound: On Stone Sour's second album, Corey Taylor displays his wide vocal range, from his screams on 30/30-150 and Come What(Ever) May to the soft, slow and emotional singing on Through Glass and Zzyzx Rd. The band cover more than one genre on this album including thrash metal (30/30-150, Reborn), hard rock (Socio, Your God) and rock ballads (Through Glass, Zzyzx Rd). The guitars mostly use some sort of distortion throughout the record excluding some songs. Acoustic guitar are included on other songs including Through Glass and even a piano is used on one song. The vocals are very emotional, usually charged with anger but sometimes sadness as well. Overall I would say this was a hard rock/metal album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album cover many subjects though sometimes are too general and th subject can be unclear. I do know however that Come What(Ever) May is about Corey Taylor's great dislike for George W Bush, Through Glass reflects Corey Taylor's views on Hollywood and the music industry becoming hollow and superficial. and I think that Zzyzx Rd. is about someone with a terminal illness looking at their life. The lyrics suit the music in every song, e.g. the lyrics in 30/30-150 suggests anger at someone or something and the music is very aggressive and the lyrics of Zzyzx Rd. set a sad scene and the music gives the feeling of sadness and pain. Overall, apart from some lyrics being too general, the lyrics are just fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe that this album is better than anything Slipknot has done and that Corey Taylor and Jim Root have outdone their other band. I think the best songs on the album are 30/30-150, Come What(Ever)May, Socio and Through Glass. I basically just love evrything about this album and if it were stolen I would definetely by it again. // 10

More Stone Sour reviews rating latest review