Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero [Single] Review

stone sour: Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero [Single]
Released: Aug 13, 2012
Genre: Alternative Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Roadrunner
The move by Stone Sour to release the first two songs from "HoGaB Part 1" as a double-single was a great one because both songs are great and should get fans excited about the rest of "HoGaB".
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero [Single] Reviewed by: DYZombie, on october 15, 2012

Sound: This is the first single off of Stone Sour's upcoming album, "The House Of Gold And Bones Pt. 1". It is the first part of a 2 part concept album; I'm not sure what the story line of it is yet, but it seems promising so far. Corey Taylor (lead singer, lyricist, and overall creative leader of the band) will be writing a new a comic book series with the same name for Dark Horse Comics. Corey's stories and way of writing always impress me so I'm exciting for seeing how this transfers to a whole new medium, like comic books. These first two tracks have given me high hopes for the album. Stone Sour excel in the new wave of ass-kicking rock and roll. The instrumental works on these tracks is good, and they are true to the Stone Sour ways. Simple riffs and guitar solos that manage to fit the mood and create feeling while still melting your face. The drums are heavy and his fills always create great transitions. All these things come together to create a perfect backdrop to the stories told. // 8

Lyrics: As good as the instrumental work on the album is, its Corey Taylor that puts Stone Sour at the forefront of new rock. Corey always tells a story with not only his lyrics but the way he sings them, and a concept album has really let him flex this muscle. The lyrics flow together so well and sound so simple that the underlying themes can sometimes be hard to see, but that's what makes his writing great. // 9

Overall Impression: That being said, I don't think either of these songs have the single power of "Say You'Ll Haunt Me" off of their last album, "Audio Secrecy". The radio strength of that single is what launched that album into the public eye and made it so successful. Overall, I'm impressed with these tracks, and I think the album (which drops in 10 days) will kick a-s. I don't think that it will have the commercial success of their last effort but I think that the true Stone Sour fans will appreciate it more. // 8

Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero [Single] Reviewed by: Battman1993, on august 24, 2012

Sound: I'll get right into it: Although many people perceive Stone Sour as a Slipknot side project, they were actually the band Corey Taylor & Jim Root were in before joining Slipknot. Corey & Jim revived the group in 2002, and have released three albums to date. Their fourth album, "House Of Gold And Bones" ("HoGaB" for short) is their most ambitious record yet, coming in the form of a two-part double-disc concept album ("Part 1" will be released October 23rd, "Part 2" in May 2013). Recently, the band issued a double single containing the first two songs on the record: "Gone Sovereign" & "Absolute Zero". Stone Sour stated that the reason for doing this is that the two songs link thematically, so separating them would feel disjointed. For the purpose of this review, I will review each song separately (lol). 01. "Gone Sovereign" - The first song on "House Of Gold & Bones Part 1", "Gone Sovereign" starts with a minute or so of just guitar and Corey singing. At the minute mark, the drums join in and the song explodes into a high energy melodic metal tune. The tempo is fairly fast, and the song actually harkens back a little bit to Stone Sour's first record. The guitar solo section is awesome, with several short solos strung together into one section. Corey sounds like a man possessed on this track, and his roars are more vicious than ever. 02. "Absolute Zero" - This track will probably throw some people off, since it begins with a chant of "hey-ay-ay-ay-ay". Honestly, it sounds kind of weird and doesn't really fit with the song. Once we move past that little detour, "Absolute Zero" fires in on all cylinders. The song is just as heavy if not heavier than "Gone Sovereign", and the tempo is a little faster. Again, the guitar solo section is great, and Corey sounds amazing. I rate "Absolute Zero" 8/10 only because the "hey-ay" sections at the beginning and end of the song don't really contribute to the song at all. In short, they're unnecessary. // 9

Lyrics: "House Of Gold & Bones" is as frontman Corey Taylor has put it, "a morality play" lyrically. "Gone Sovereign" and "Absolute Zero" do link thematically. I won't go into what each song is about necessarily, since they are part of an overall concept. Plus, the lyrics are kind of abstract. I have taken the liberty of posting links to the lyrics for both songs in this review so you can read them for yourself and decipher your own meaning from them. http://www.elyrics.net/read/s/stone-sour-lyrics/gone-sovereign-lyrics.html http://www.elyrics.net/read/s/stone-sour-lyrics/absolute-zero-lyrics.html On both songs, Corey sounds in tip-top form. His clean singing is as usual beastly, while his roars that punctuate sections of each song are vicious and sound a (little) bit like his vocals in Slipknot. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, the move by Stone Sour to release the first two songs from "HoGaB Part 1" as a double-single was a great one because both songs are great and should get fans excited about the rest of "HoGaB" if they're not already (I know I am already excited). They have done what bands should do when releasing singles: they have given the fans a taste of what's to come but has left them wanting more. October 23rd can't get here soon enough. // 9

More Stone Sour reviews rating latest review