Core Review

stone temple pilots: Core
Released: Sep 29, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
It is true that the worst moments of Core play like a parody of the Seattle scene.
 9.4
 9.6
 9.2
Core Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 18, 2005

Sound: A hard driving album, that rightly launched the career of the Stone Temple Pilots. Full of incredible riffs that just never seem to get old. A second look at the drum lines on this album, prove the incredible talent of Eric Kretz. Everything on this album sounds and feels so right that it's almost surreal. All rock fans are sure to find favorites even beyond the numerous singles, songs like 'Piece Of Pie' and 'Sin' prove the true depth of this album; and compliment the better known songs, such as 'Creep' and 'Plush' extremely well. A great album to listen to one song at a time, or the whole way through; and a must have for all grunge/hard rock/any good music at all fans. // 10

Lyrics: As mentioned in previous reviews the presence of Scott Weiland is rivaled by few. Songs such as 'Creep' are a good example of just how good Scott Weiland's lyrics are. Expect to relate to his lyrics, and admire his ability to communicate what he's feeling. Although songs like 'Wet My Bed' carry a Jim Morrisonesque ambiguitity, the vast majority of the lyrics are fairly easily understood, and make great use of word plays and metaphors. // 10

Overall Impression: Quite simply put, what I love about this album is that it is the Stone Temple Pilots, and they are incredible. Probably a tie for my second favorite STP album, with Purple (Tiny Music has always been my favorite). That's not to say that Tiny Music or Purple are in anyway better than this album; however I feel the band evolved throughout their career, and brought a different approach to every album, while still maintaining an edgy yet intelligent, and heartfelt sound. I recently loaned out Purple, Core, and Tiny Music to a friend, and don't expect to get them back; even though I have every song from every STP album on my computer, I will probably go out and buy each one of these CDs again, because I would hate to have a burned copy of any one of these CDs. I like a lot of music and there is probably no other CD I will buy before repurchasing these CDs because my rock collection doesn't feel complete without them. Overall a great album, I honestly can't see any rock fan other than really really big metal heads (maybe), who would be unhappy with this album, or regret buying it; do yourself a favor and make this the next album you add to your collection. // 10

Core Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2004

Sound: This album was a great album, Lots of heavy Pounding guitar work by Dean Deleo. I would rate this album as the best of 1992 thats how much I love it. For some reason a lot of people rate this album to Pearl Jam ten I think the vocals maybe similar but the Music is totally different I think Core is more hard rock and Pearl Jam ten has got more blues Influences. Core has got the sound of Nirvana and Alice in chains mixed up together. // 10

Lyrics: For a first album I would say this is one of the very best. Great creative lyrics. Scott Weiland really did a great job with his singing. Stone Temple Pilots really took their time to give good effort on this. // 10

Overall Impression: This Album has got its own unique sound it does have a similar sound to Alice In Chains Dirt, and Nirvana, Nevermind. My 2 personal favorite songs from this album are Sex Type Thing, and Plush. I would definately buy this album again with out a doubt in mind if it was lost or stolen the first time I bought this album I could not stop listening to it it became an obsession with me. // 10

Core Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2005

Sound: Damn was basically all I could say when I first heard this album. This to me is just one of those albums you can put in and listen to from start to finish. It feels so raw and real when you listen to Weliand's vocals and the music that accompanies it. The music blended by Eric Kretz's drums Robert Deleo on bass and Dean Deleo on guitar creates one hell of a sound. Really the only problem I have (as a fellow guitarist) is that that aren't very many solos and the ones that are there are not integrated very well into the song. Nevertheless this is definately one of the best albums to come out of the 90's and in my opinion one of my top ten all time. Basically half of the CD were hits "Crackerman," "Creep," "Dead And Bloated," "Plush," "Sex Type Thing" and "Wicked Garden." It's hard to argue against that. // 10

Lyrics: Weiland's skills as a front man are parallel to no one. He pretty much patterns himself after other front man like David Bowie and Iggy Pop but in the end he definately has his own style. Anyone who has ever seen him perform knows he has awesome stage charisma and he can control an audience with the best of em. His lyrics are equally good on songs such as "Creep," "Plush," "Sin" and "Where The River Goes." They seem to maintain a connection with alcohol, women, being dicked over and pride. The reason I give these lyrics a 4 instead of a 5 is because in a majority of the songs there is alot of repition. However those of you who criticize Weiland's lyrics don't know much about the man himself or what he's been through. He is a very talented song writer and that is why he is generally considered one of the best front men to come along in the past 20 years. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, like I said before this is one of my favorite albums to put in and play along with, wakeboard to and just cool out with front to back. Who can argue with STP and all they have accomplished over the years. Core has to date 6 out of its 12 tracks played on the radio at any given time. I do believe this is their best album without question than following with "Purple," "No. 4," "Tiny Music" and "Shangi-La Dee Da" in that order. Finally I would like to argue with those who criticize STP for being Pearl Jam ripoffs when they came out. Anyone who listens to and appreciates music knows that the two bands have two completely different sounds and both were powerhouses of the '90s. Give them both credit where credit is due. // 10

Core Reviewed by: uduman, on january 29, 2009

Sound: The band itself sounds like you'd expect a band in the early-to-mid 90's to sound like: dirty, hairy, musky. I mean, listening to the slow, steady chord progression of the opening song, "Dead & Bloated," in it's pre-chorus, just gives you a great feel for how the rest of the album is going to be. The driving, muddy guitar, combined with the really heavy, Bonham-esque drumming, just sets up a great mood for everything else to follow, especially as the opener segues into "Sex Type Thing," one of the album's heaviest, most distorted songs. What do I get from all this great, epic songwriting on Scott Weiland and Robert De Leo's part? I get a faceful of fuzz-orientated grunge rock that sounds like the stuff a good college radio plays. But this album is a prime example of how varied the supposed "grunge" genre can be; I get a bunch of crap from people when I claim I love grunge, and lots of people say it all sounds the same. This album could possibly be one of the more unique albums from the genre, as Scott Weiland gives some excellent baritone vocals, evoking very a pretty bluesy mood through most of the songs (see "Creep"), while simultaneously incorporating a sort of yelling into most of the songs ("Naked Saturday" is a great example of this). All the while, drummer Eric Kretz produces some outstanding Led Zeppelin impersonations, and De Leo follows a chord regiment of much more than a simple vocabulary of power chords and nonsense solos. Overall, the moment I listened to this album, I knew the Stone Temple Pilots were something very special. They are somehow more than a simple grunge band, and on this album show a great modern feel for social commentary ("Sex Type Thing" and "Crackerman") while keeping some of the older musical traditions of early punk energy. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, like I said, pretty good at commenting on social issues that plague this modern age. The biggest exmaple of that, "Sex Type Thing," talks about how we adopt an attitude of mastery towards women, utilizing a very morbid rape metaphor: "I am, I am, I am, I said I wanna get next to you, / I said I'm gonna get close to you, / You wouldn't want me to have to hurt you, too, hurt you too... " The lyrics, if not commenting on something of that sort, seems to be on a sort of trip, dealing with love, just like 95% of the total songs ever written in the history of man. But the frontman, Weiland, does a good job of revitalizing the old theme of a faile love in his classic "Plush": "And I feel, so much depends on the weather, / So is it raining in your bedroom? / And I see, that these are the eyes of disarray. / Would you even care? " So Weiland has talent writing lyrics. As far as his singing goes, he is phenomenal. He gives some of the most raw, unrestrained performances on this album, ranging from all out yelling of "Naked Staurday" to the soft, simple crooning of "Creep." Really, the only other singers I've seen that come close to Weiland's vocal style are Layne Staley and Eddie Vedder. In a sense, Weiland is a combination of the two, with both of the singers' blues-rooted emotion, and Vedder's low, indiscernible enunciation that sometimes pervades the clarity of the lyrics. A nice touch that Weiland has is extensive use of a megaphone on tracks like "Crackerman" and "Sex Type Thing." // 8

Overall Impression: Like I've already said, the Stone Temple Pilot's first studio album is a pretty unique grunge album, with overtones from other grunge bands like Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam, along with Zeppelin and even the Beatles, with a reference to their song "Yesterday" in STP's "Creep." My personal favorite song, as it has the most energy an the most driving opening guitar and drums in the entire album has got to be "Crackerman." These guys really know how to kick out a balls nasty riff when they need to, as this song shows. The dissonant chords before each verse really help the mood too; they sort of offset the beat, creating a unique atmosphere between the opening and verse riffs. Really, I cannot hate this album. I mean, maybe Weiland's vocals were cut and paste on almost every heavy song here (with yelling and the cliche fading into the mike before the occasional verses), and maybe the solos on these songs are few and far between. But these are all fine by me; the songs are fine as they are, and Weiland's vocals themselves are so good, they are virtually indestructible (that is, until Velvet Revolver... ) This album is pretty awesome, so I'd buy it again if it got stolen, most certainly. If you don't have it, maybe you ought to buy it too. Seriously, stop reading this review and check this shit out! // 10

More Stone Temple Pilots reviews rating latest review