Purple Review

stone temple pilots: Purple
Released: May 31, 1994
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
Purple is nevertheless a quantum leap over their debut, showcasing a band hitting their stride.
 9.4
 8.9
 9.8
Purple Reviewed by: JimBonJovi, on november 25, 2008

Sound: STP's sound on their second album "Purple" is grungey most of the time and almost always has a great hook, which means you get to sing it in your mind for a month. When their not grungy their pop sensabilities shine, and I hate to say the genre "Pop" and associate it with one of the greatest alternative Rock bands of the 90's and the 21st century. But really if you look(and listen) "Core" was pure Hard Rock and it was relentless for the most part(Creep and a few quiet little tunes) and then comes "purple" with tunes such as "Interstate Love Song", "Still Remains" and a few others that are sort of toned down grunge compared to Core of course. I realise they won't and can't remake a Core sounding album and every band must progress and purple continues that progress. Scott's voice has shifted to a more softer sound here and there while Dean's guitars while more melodic than core still, again, provide that big crunch. Robert's bass punches and pops like thunder and Eric's drumming is more controlled and excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Any of the lyrics Scott writes are bound to possibly confuse or to re-say something in a different way of saying it, if you get what I mean. Everyone who reviewed "Purple" gave the lyrics a low rating, but in reality would these songs and the album work very well without them? Obviously the answer is no, and Scott has written a set of deeper meaning lyrics and examples of this would be "Interstate Love Song","Big Empty","Loungefly", and "Still Remains". // 9

Overall Impression: Overall "Purple" is one hell of an album. As I said before STP continued to progress and then they whent a little to far (Tiny Tunes... ) but that's another review alltogether. This record is a classic and always will be a classic with it's robust yet melodic hard rock. With STP having reunited in 2008, I'm sure every STP fan and hoping for an album that could possibly beat out "No. 4" for their third best album. Perfect for relaxing to and for myself perfect for christmas time for personal reasons. It's a one of a kind grunge record and nothing will top that. // 10

Purple Reviewed by: STPmaidenthrax, on august 06, 2004

Sound: Being a hardcore STP fan for years, I know their sound is always very good and it proves even more in this record. Released in June, the album blends the talent of the group's talent. Dean Deleo has some good solos in "Superman Silvergun", heavily distorted song "Meat Plow", and the fan favorite "Vasoline". Weiland's voice is very calm and kind of intrigues a mellow tone to some of the songs. It blends their well known hard rock sound and has some lighter mellow songs to it to like "Kitchenware and Candybars" and another fan favorite "Big Empty". Overall, this album is amazing and probably is just as good as their 1992 debut "Core". Dean Deleo did a good job with riffs. I love the riffs on "Vasoline", "Meat Plow", and "Superman Silvergun". On bass Rob Deleo (Dean's brother) is a good bass player. His thumping bass adds to the excellence of the album and is outstanding (as he was for the rest of his career). // 10

Lyrics: As a guitar player, I don't really listen to lyrics anymore but overall Weiland has a good voice and the Deleo brothers kick in once in a while to add an impression. The more you listen to the songs, the more you will like the CD and Weiland's underrated singing talent. When I first listened to the disc I thought it was good. But when I listened to it with more attention to the other songs than their hits, I was impressed. The songs "Meat Plow", "Superman Silvergun", and "Kitchenware and Candybars" have catchy lyrics. I had those 3 songs stuck in my head for a long time at least a month, no lie. Good work on the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: In my honest opinion, this is a great album and can be one of the better albums of the 1990's. There is nothing horrible about this album, its pretty good. Dean's guitar work is flat out amazing (and always has been) and Weiland's change of voices in the songs matchs the greatness of this album. The only thing I really don't like on the album is "Interstate Love Song" only because it got overplayed and I got very sick of it. From the beginning it was great but the radio stations overplayed it and now when its on I need to change the radio station. Other than the hits "Vasoline", "Big Empty" and "Interstate Love song", I'm very appreciative of the songs "Meat Plow", "Superman Silvergun", "Kitchenware and Candybar", and "Unglued". "Unglued" is a good song towards the end and wakes you up with the loud riff and then all of a sudden you come to a slow, mellow and melancholy tone in "Kitchenware and Candybars". If I lost this CD my music collection wouldn't be complete. It is a killer CD and not many in my opinion match the talent from the Californians. // 10

Purple Reviewed by: Stagger Lee, on january 30, 2006

Sound: The band plays alternative rock/grunge. But this album, as usual with STP, has some quiter songs tucked in ('Interstate Love Song', 'Pretty Penny', 'Big Empty'). Scott Weilands voice is grungey and growling, but can be beautiful on some of the calmer songs. Dean DeLeo is one of the most underrated guitarists in my opinion, and has some great solos here ('Vasoline', 'Silvergun Superman'). Dean's brother, Robert's bass is fantastic, and most of the songs were written by him. Eric Kretz's drums are thumping and are probably their best on 'Army Ants'. // 9

Lyrics: Scott Weiland has an excellent voice, and some good lyrics. With R. DeLeo doing backing vocals alot of the time. The songs 'Vasoline', 'Meat Plow' and 'Kitchenware and Candybars' have quite catchy lyrics. Pretty average lyrics, but some quite good ones. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great album, that really defines STP's sound. Some of my favourite songs are 'Vasoline', 'Big Empty' and 'Meat Plow'. If this album was stolen from me, I would kick the shit out of thief, and then buy a whole security system for it, so noone nicked it again. Overall it is not the best album ever made but pretty damn good. // 9

Purple Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on august 16, 2006

Sound: The Stone Temple Pilots' second album. Definately a good follow up on 1992's Core album. To start things off, the sound produced on this album is more than excellent. I was definately impressed. Dean DeLeo's guitars were really "grunge" sounding along with Scott Weiland's natural grunge voice produced some pretty catchy songs. I really loved this album becauses before STP, I had never heard of a California grunge band. They opened my eyes to a different type of music or sound for that matter. But overall, I was more than pleased with the sound on this album. // 8

Lyrics: Scott Weiland is probably one of the more "unorthodox" singers of the nineties, but the man can sing. He is very controversal, spending some time in jail during the late nineties, but that is what I love about Weiland. He is a very gifted singer and songwriter and I think he should get more credit as a singer rather than a drugged-out man who is in and out of jail. // 8

Overall Impression: Very thorough album overall. I loved it. I think anyone who loves good '90s alternative music should pick up 1994's Purple album. If I lost it or it got stolen I would have to buy it again. This is an awesome STP album. I loved how every song was good and I think that is important in an excellent album. // 9

More Stone Temple Pilots reviews rating latest review