Stone Temple Pilots Review

stone temple pilots: Stone Temple Pilots
Released: May 21, 2010
Genre: Alternative Rock, Hard Rock
Label: Atlantic
Although there is definitely a retro vibe on the album, it has a classic STP sound anyway.
 8.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Stone Temple Pilots Reviewed by: Benjamin2112, on october 23, 2013

Sound: Stone Temple Pilots is a band that formed in San Diego in 1986 often categorized in: grunge, alternative rock, hard rock, etc. Whatever you want to call them, it's pretty good music. Scott Weiland is an amazing singer, forget his jail bids, drug problems, and other misadventures and you will find a great performer whose got a good set of pipes. "Stone Temple Pilots" is a great record by the band that sounds like '60s and '70s rock. I think Dean used fuzz pedals and some tube amps perhaps on the album to give it an unique sound. Although there is definitely a retro vibe on the album, I still feel that it has a classic STP sound anyway. The production on the album is quite great with Scott recording his vocals in his home studio, Robert and Eric recording their parts in Robert's studio, and Dean doing his guitar parts in his own studio. All of these separate studios mix nicely. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album seem like they've been written with a lot of thought in them. Cool and different words are used to mean other things and they often sound great with one another. "Penguins don't fly, crocodile sunday smile, really love to fish, but don't like superficial people" really stands out to me as an example of this ("Between the Lines"). They got a bit of an Aerosmith-y lyrical style and melody I think as well here. The lyrics go great with the accompanying music as well, they really gel in nicely I'd say. I wouldn't say any song has lyrics that don't fit in well with each other. Scott is a great singer as I've said above, great vocal performance on every song on the record. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say this is one of STP's best albums, IMO I like it a bit more than "No. 4" and "Shangri-La Dee Da." The most impressive tracks on the album in my opinion are: "Between the Lines," "Take a Load Off," "Huckleberry Crumble," "Hickory Dichotomy," "Fast as I Can," "First Kiss on Mars," and "Maver." These songs are really frickin' good tunes by them, classics to me. I love its '60s/'70s tone to it, I think that was an amazing idea that they had to add to the records feel and sound. If it were lost or stolen, I'd surely buy it again that'd be an easy decision. // 9

More Stone Temple Pilots reviews rating latest review