Straylight Run Review

straylight run: Straylight Run
Released: Oct 12, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Emo, Indie Rock
All together Straylight Run has crafted a fine debut. It will certainly please emo fans, but gets more points for bringing new ideas to the genre.
 Lyrics: 9.8
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Straylight Run Reviewed by: dane1234, on november 04, 2004

Sound: In my personal opinion, this collection of piano driven rock make up the most original music I have heard in a long time considering the plague of emo band clones that have spread across the nation. John Nolan a familiar name from the rock/emo/screamo heavy weight known as Taking Back Sunday leads Straylight Run with driving and sometimes blazing vocals, smooth guitar riffs, and some piano, backed by Shaun Cooper (also from Taking Back Sunday) on bass, Will Thomas Noon (ex-Breaking Pangaea drummer)on drums and Michelle Nolan (John's Sister) playing piano, some guitar, and vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album are unique and original because the whole point of the song is not just explained in one line. It takes all the lyrics to sum up a vision of what Nolan is trying to say in his songs. You just really have to read the lyrics and think you'll get the message. I'm not saying they are complicated, their simple but in a way it tells a story and paints a picture in your head. Nolan is talking about his days with Taking Back Sunday and how the songs became so routine like he has to do it over and over again until everyone's happy. But then he adds "the focus on the friends and the feelings that made those stupid songs all worth singing" meaning even though he got bored of it he would do it for the fans and friends and the feelings he had for the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is a solid 5 out of 5. Although some fans might differ because of how the album is all cleaned up compared to the demo versions of some of the songs. I really think that anybody who loves the emo genre should go out and buy this rarity. I have already bought myself 3 copies including the one I listen to. What I love so much about this album is that it has such original taste to it. It's not just another rip off of Dashboard Confessional or Taking Back Sunday. It's better than that stuff. // 10

Straylight Run Reviewed by: unknownalone, on november 11, 2004

Sound: The sound of Straylight Run is unlike anything I have heard recently. The only band that is even close would be Dashboard Confessional, but I must say that Straylight Run takes it a step further. When I first heard that John had left TBS, I was a little devastated, because he was what I thought made TBS great, but then I heard of his new band and had to buy the cd, even though I had not heard it. It was not at all what I had expected, but that being said, it totally exceeded my expectations. It is nothing close to TBS, but instead has a more mellow sound. Every song has piano, and only a few have "distortion". Their sound is very different, but it is also very innovative and good. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are pretty much typical of the emo genre, pretty much about John's personal experiences and what not. But absent from this album is the songs having to deal with getting dumped. That has really become the main topic of emo today, and it's getting kind of boring. Straylight Run strays from that topic, and it really makes them quite interesting, something not seen often today. // 10

Overall Impression: This band doesn't hardly compare to any other band, but if I did have to make a comparison, it would be Dashboard, but that is only because dashboard has a song with a piano in it, other than that, they are in a league of their own. Awesome cd, there are songs for every mood you have. Every song on the album is good. I must warn that this is nothing like TBS, so if you were expecting that, then you may not want to buy this album, but I do recommed that any fan of TBS, Dashboard, etc. at least give this cd a listen. // 10

Straylight Run Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on august 10, 2005

Sound: When you have piano and a distorted guitar you might believe it won't work. Well it works. When you add soaring vocals to that you think it will sound weird. It's not weird. This album is a college-type album for an age range for the young. It works itself well like clay and molds most of the songs into you. No messing mixing here. The sound is something emotional, maybe that's why it's called emo? // 8

Lyrics: On the track "Existentailism On Prom Night," the band makes a beautiful written song come to life the way it should. The lyrical view of the band is something real and isn't very comic or unreal. It is something taken from life and transcribed on a record and you can buy it in a store. It's something great. You have to hear it yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best emo albums I've heard. It's a harder edged emo record. It should really be checked out. It has more quailities then a Dashboard Confessional album does. I'm not saying it is better but it is a lot more interesting. I will say that it is better than any record Taking Back Sunday can make. Buy this album please. If not for me, for yourself. It's good for the soul. // 8

Straylight Run Reviewed by: iamtheguitarpro, on march 11, 2006

Sound: I'm rather tired of people calling this emo. If this was emo, the lead singer would wear eyeliner and have a high-pitched voice. Sorry kids, Straylight Run is indie. It's indie because it, like taking back sunday and brand new, two closely related bands, cannot really be catagorized as emo, punk, or in some cases, even rock in general. Straylight Run found their own sound. And that sound is amazing. Entrancing piano melodies in songs like Existentialism on Prom Night, and piano almost replacing the guitar on songs like The Tension and the Terror. Definately something new. // 10

Lyrics: John Nolan is a poet. That's why I love them so much. The lyrics are thoughtful and deep, but probably not quite as good as Bright Eyes or Brand New. // 9

Overall Impression: It goes far beyond the medium. Straylight Run is probably the best Debut album I've ever heard. The most impressive songs are Existentialism on Prom Night and Mistakes We Knew We Were Making. If this album were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again because I already have eight copies. // 10

More Straylight Run reviews rating latest review