Fading American Dream Review

street dogs: Fading American Dream
Release Date: Oct 24, 2006
Label: DRT Entertainment
Genres: Punk Revival
Fading American Dream is simply another heartfelt statement from a band that deserves to be heard.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.6
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Fading American Dream Reviewed by: mask824, on february 20, 2008

Sound: The Street Dogs are classified by Wikipedia as "generic punk". In mostly every song by the Street Dogs, there is liberal use of power chords. I suppose that's why Wikipedia called them generic. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of power chords. I'm more of a fan of 7 chords. My favorite is Cmaj7. But, that begs the question, why am I listening to the Street Dogs? It's because they're not generic punk, as Wikipedia would say. Every song has such an attitude, a persona. A message sticks with you after you listen to them. I would classify them as "protest punk", assuming there is such a genre. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics in every single song scream anti-war and the lyrics in every single song scream anti-war and liberalism. My mother, my grandparents, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, and my friends are all democrats. But, even if we were all die-hard republicans, I'm sure I would still listen to the Street Dogs. Even if I didn't agree with the music, I would respect it. The lyrics speak to you in a way that all the generic love songs out there can't. Specifically on this album, released in the middle of George W's presidency, are songs of protest that not only get your toes tapping, but your brain thinking too. // 10

Overall Impression: In March of 2007, I went to see the Green 17 tour, which had the Street Dogs opening for Flogging Molly. After that, I was hooked. Their new album, Fading American Dream, is an energy packed punk album. Normally, I'm not attracted to pure punk music. But regardless of liberal use of power chords, I love the album. What hooks me is the messages sent by each and every song. There is an acoustic song on the album, called Final Transmission. When I saw this song live, mosh pits stopped and parents stopped complaining. It was an amazing song and an amazing show, performed by an amazing band. // 9

More Street Dogs reviews rating latest review