Everything Goes Numb Review

streetlight manifesto: Everything Goes Numb
Released: August 26, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
The band does prove itself able to concoct a variety of rhythms and arrangements within the ska-punk format.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2005

Sound: Definitely not your average Ska band. This is a band with a sound all their own. Brilliant lyrics, great instrumentation. // 10

Lyrics: Tomas Kalnoky is, and I generally don't like this term, a lyrical genius. He weaves words together like nobody else can do. The lyrics on this album show the gamut of emotions. He sings with great speed but is not at all difficult to understand. He's got great singing skills, and still somehow manages to play guitar at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: Any complimentary words I have about this album cannot do it justice. It's like crack, it had barely left my CD player since I bought it. The only other album I can somewhat compare it to is Catch 22's Keasbey Nights, but with better lyrical content, better instrumentation, and the songs are much longer. Every track on this album is extraordinary, there is not a single song I'd skip over when listening to it. But standout tracks I'd say "Everything Goes Numb," "Here's To Life" and "A Moment Of Silence." This album has a bit of a dark mood to it. The horns are just incredibly powerful. If this album was lost or stolen, I'd be pissed, but I would definitely go out and buy it again. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: akatubby, on december 11, 2006

Sound: The first thing I noticed about this album is that it's not as fast as normal Tom Kalnoky material. That's right, the legendary Tomas Kalnoky is the lead singer of this band, who brought you Gimp, B.O.T.A.R. (his newest creation) and the Keasby Nights Era of Catch 22. The Horns are a lot more complex. It seems like they are leading the music, instead of just going with it, or hanging in the background like most 3rd wave ska. He recorded another version of Keasby Nights, which is always good. // 9

Lyrics: They have a very distinct way of writing lyrics. They stand out a lot in every song. He also wrote the lyrics so they flow from one song to the next. Like one very long song, yet each track has it's own unique identity. The lyrics are a lot darker than Toms other stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: I love everything about this album, but, it's missing that "Get Up And Skank" factor, that Keasby Nights had. The stand out song is defiantly Point/Counter Point. I listen to this album literally every week, and I've had it for almost a year. I defiantly recommend this album. // 9

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: FireHazard, on february 15, 2007

Sound: The sound quality is superb on this album. The horns sound well-mic'ed, unlike most ska albums. Streetlight Manifesto is probably the best all-around band in ska at the present time. They effortlessly blend ska and punk. I really like the Eastern European introduction to "If And When We Rise Again", and I'm guessing that it comes from Tomas Kalnoky's (the guitarist/lead singer) early childhood in Eastern Europe. The horns are definitely the part of this band that stand out. They have one of the most professional sounding horn sections in ska. The drums are also outstanding. The fills are amazing, and the speed and precision that even the normal beats of a song are played are not to be overlooked. As I am a drummer, I pay very close attention to the drums in bands, and this drummer is one of the best non-jazz drummers that I have ever heard. The basslines are played so quickly, and sound so great. Look up some of the bass tabs, and you'll be astounded by how good this bassist is. I honestly have no problems what'soever with this album, and I've probably listened to this album a good 150 times, if not more (sad, I know). // 10

Lyrics: Tomas Kalnoky is, in my opinion, the greatest songwriter of this generation. His Keasbey Nights stuff was very good, but this album's lyrics are so much better. The theme of this album is primarily death, and the lyrics show this in stunning fashion. It's nearly impossible to choose the best written song. The songs are also impossible to not sing along to. Kalnoky isn't the greatest singer, but something about his delivery consumes me. He and his lyrics speak as if he is some great leader or something. I can't quite explain it, but it's as if he is speaking directly to you. The chanting of the other members also adds another dimension to each song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is, as I previously stated, even better than Catch 22's "Keasbey Nights". A lot better. Some people may say you can't skank to it, but believe me, it's possible. Go to a Streetlight Manifesto show. I saw them live with Reel Big Fish (who weren't very good), and the entire crowd sang along and skanked to every song. It was amazing. Kalnoky would even step back from the microphone at times since the crowd's singing overpowered the P.A. They are the best live band I have ever seen due in strong part to how much of a following they have, which only adds to the energy. It is the best ska album of the last ten years, no doubt. "A Better Place, A Better Time" and "The Big Sleep" are two of the songs that I find myself listening to over and over and over and never tiring of. If it was lost, I would definitely buy this album again. My friends and I practically worship this band, so it would be a small price to pay for such a great album. Check out Streetlight's remake of Keasbey Nights. The solos in "Kristina She Don't Know I Exist" are great, and the other songs sound so much sharper than the Catch 22 original. Sorry if this review was a little too biased, but I'm in love with this band. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2004

Sound: People who loved the sound of old catch 22 (keasby night) will absolutely love Everything Goes Numb. Ex-members of catch 22 have formed (in my opinion) one of the best ska/punk bands of the new decade, they have a deeper sound (longer songs, only one song under 3 minutes). Powerful horn parts, fast past ska, and some blends of metal, this album is a treat. The record is very different from other ska record (it doesn't have a poppy sound to it). // 10

Lyrics: Tom Kalnoky is a music genius (or at least a ska genius). This records lyrics range from robbing a bank (everything went numb) to showing people a better path than suicide (a better place, a better time) and some songs just make you want get up and dance (we are the few). Kalnoky is a great ska singer, not the greatest voice, but it blends in great with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Streetlight Manifesto is amazing, I highly recommend this cd to Anyone who likes ska (especially the early days of catch 22). This might sound kinda pathetic, but I dont think there is anything wrong about this album, it's an all around awesome ska cd. And if they come to your town, go seem them live, they put on an excellent show, and they have personality. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: Flowerpot, on april 26, 2005

Sound: The sound of Streetlight Manifesto is just fantastic. It's ska, but it's ska as you've never heard it before (except possibly from Catch 22). The sound is earthy and folky as well as being melodic and highly singable. When I first heard the album I noticed several latin American and possibly Eastern European influences, the harmonies used are very minor and seem to have a large basis in folk music. They love a minor key, and songs such as 'A Moment Of Silence' and 'Everything Goes Numb' showcase this. But they can also write a good major key song, for example the excellent 'Point/Counterpoint' and 'The Saddest Song'. The trumpeter on this album is excellent and plays in a high register, as is the saxophonist. The drummer is also notable, and the bassist has some cracking basslines. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what make this album really great. Once you get used to the speed of light they are sung at and really listen, you can tell the effort put in to make them rhyme and still make sense and sound great. 'Everything Goes Numb' has excellent lyrics once you can make them out, as does 'A Moment Of Silence'. 'A Better Place A Better Time' is written more like a stream of consciousness, but it's brilliant. The singer isn't half bad either, although he can sound a little drunk sometimes. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first heard Streetlight, I thought they were the business and I still do. They have pretty much stayed in my stereo. My favourite song is 'A Moment Of Silence', just because the pure musicianship in that song is incredible. 'A Better Place A Better Time' also stands out. 'Point/Counterpoint' is so fun to sing along to, and 'Everything Goes Numb' is good to trumpet to. Streetlight have so much energy and they really groove. If you only ever buy one ska/alternative album, buy this one. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: RHCPhysco8, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound of this CD is spot on. The horns are on time as is the guitars and drums and bass. Streetlight mix ska and punk better than any other 3rd wave band around. The songs are more epic than your typical ska song which is a great thing. I like how they have two versions of the same song as well. A Moment Of Silence is probobly the slowest and most mellow sounding song on the album and then A Moment Of Violence is more of a hardcore punk song. Both have pretty much the same lyrics too. But like I said earlier this is more of an epic brand of ska wehere songs are longer and have many different sounding parts to them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really different from anything else I've heard. Lots of cool chants. I love the backrground vocals from everyone else in the group which gives the lyrics that more chant like sound. The singer isn't the best. But that doesn't really matter to me. He sounds more of a punk singer than a ska singer but that's ok. Some lyrics tell stories too which will take a few listens to figure out so I will leave that to you. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is on of my favorite albums of all time. I'm deeply in love with this entire album and I'll go as far as saying that it beats the s--t out of Catch 22's Keasby Knights. For those of you who don't know Catch 22 came before Streetlight Manifesto which features some original memebers of Catch 22. I might be a bit biased when I say this album for me is a classic. As of right now I have burned copy of it so if that got lost/stolen I'd definitley buy this album. this is the kind of album that you buy, not burn. If you're new to ska buy this the band you want to listen to first. Streetlight Manifesto's blend of ska and punk can not be overlooked at all. You must hear this. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: DisgruntledDuck, on november 01, 2005

Sound: This is probably one of the most original ska albums I've ever heard. It's ska/punk played very fast at times, with emphasis being put on the horn section, which sounds fantastic. The drumming is also worth of praise, very fast, yet tight sounding. I'm less keen on the style of singing, which tends to be very fast, with lots of words crammed into one sentence. However, it is the singing which helps make this album unique, and the music wouldn't sound right without Tomas Kalnoky's vocals. The album does have it's melodic moments, but these tend to come from the instrumental backing, mainly utilising the horn section much more than many third wave ska acts. // 10

Lyrics: The singing, as previously mentioned, is very unique. In some songs, he sings ultra fast, but in others the music is slowed down and he sings like a normal vocalist. It's the lyrics in which Streetlight Manifesto do well in. The themes covered are death, crime and love. The lyrics at times are very poignant, yet very simple, such as in 'The Big Sleep' "And you close your eyes for the big sleep, I hope you think of me". Often, the lyrics tell stories individual songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I am in love with this album. To my ears, it's a very unique sound which I hope Streetlight Manifesto will continue to play and perfect in future releases. This album is a must hear for ska enthusiasts. The horn section are fantastic, and they even use a clarinet at one point. The best songs-in my opinion-are: Here's To Life (look out for the clarinet and guitar breakdown, followed by a truly head-banging ska-core moment near the end), The Saddest Song (which ironically sounds like the happiest song you'll hear on the album), If And When We Rise Again (brilliant intro) and A Moment Of Silence (one of the slower songs at first). Get this album. You need it for your collection. Don't download it, support the scene. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: Bonscott4ever, on april 23, 2007

Sound: That was my first thought as I first listened to this album. It's just amazing, I love the interweaving melodies, and the jumping back and forth between different stanza's. The sound of the album just feels like you're in the room with the band as they're recording it. I love the guitar parts on this album, they're at breakneck speeds and yet he's still able to sing. It's amazing. I had been a fan of SM even before I actually knew who they were. My friend would play in my car on the way home from school, but I forgot about them until I went to a music store and saw this CD for 10 bucks. What a steal for such a great album. It wasn't until I started listening it that I realized that I heard this before. I love everything about this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really deep (sorry for the clich). But they aren't the usually pop song lyrics. they deal with some real issues like suicide and death. Yet the way they convey the message is just great. Each set of lyrics fit the music background like a glove. I've noticed a lot of people saying that Kalnoky's singing isn't that good, but I've got to say I love his gruff voice and speedy singing, it was meant for this style of music, and the fact that he's singing the higher notes in the backup vocals has got to say something about his ability. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all I love this album, and it's a great way to start a career. Everything on this album just tells you what this group is capable of doing. I find the best songs on the album are "Everything Goes Numb," "Point/Counterpoint," "Here's To Life," "A Better Place, A Better Time" and "A Moment Of Silence". There reallys isn't much to hate on this album, if you appreciate good 3rd wave ska then this album is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I would buy this CD again in a heartbeat if anything happened to it. That way I'd be supporting an awesome band twice for the same CD. // 10

Everything Goes Numb Reviewed by: Tingle, on may 08, 2007

Sound: This band is definately the best ska band around. There is no other 3rd wave ska/punk band that could match up to the way this band sounds. The horns sound extremely clear, and use more complex and better sounding patterns than most ska bands. The singing is awesome, the backup singing matches the singers tone. I can't say anymore how awesome this band sounds. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so great, he is a master at writing, and finds ways to write about anything and everything keeping a good rhyme. His lyrics go with the horns really well, and he has great singing skills. His lyrics can make you close your eyes and just sing along the words to every song on this album, if you can keep up with his singing. His singing is fast at some points, but sounds awesome going fast or slow. // 10

Overall Impression: This album beats any other ska album I've ever heard. The best songs from the album, well, all of them! I can listen to this album beginning to end, no problem. But the best songs on there are most probably Failing, Flailing; A Better Place, a Better Time; A Moment of Silence, A Moment of Violence, The Saddest Song, and The Big Sleep. // 10

More Streetlight Manifesto reviews rating latest review