Somewhere In The Between Review

streetlight manifesto: Somewhere In The Between
Release Date: Nov 13, 2007
Label: Victory Records
Genres: Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
Although Somewhere in the Between is the third full-length release by Streetlight Manifesto, longtime fans are more likely to view it as the band's sophomore effort.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.6
 9.3
 9.8
Somewhere In The Between Reviewed by: RCT2head, on november 15, 2007

Sound: After an extremely long wait to fans of Streetlight, complete with many promises by the band at shows that "The album will be out next week!" Somewhere In The Between follows up on the success of their debut album, Everything Goes Numb. There is a bunch of small changes to their sound, especially in the solos and styles of the songs (could be possibly described as a cross between Salsa, Ska, and hints of European music), but maintains the originality that is Streetlight Manifesto and Tomas Kalnoky. According to the leaked album cover, most of the songs were in the process of creation for years, never finalized until they're recorded and edited. This allowed for many changes to the songs between live performances and the final cut on the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were just as hard hitting as they were in EGN, although the alleged "Keasbey Trio" song has not yet presented itself as obviously as the Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint mix-up has. As with the style of other albums under Kalnoky's guidance, the lyrics all come from reflections on life and it's ultimate end; although this time more in celebration of life than in death and the causes of it. They flow extremely well with the music, so much so that sometimes it's hard to distinguish between what's sung through a voice or an instrument. Tomas has increased his vocal range while still maintaining his characteristic sound. Jim Conti, who also fills some of the sax spots in the band, also improved in his vocal abilities enough that he's able to provide a nice doubling of sound. (This is better than the Keasbey Nights remake where Tomas' voice was simply overdubbed, providing a much less comprehensive sound). // 9

Overall Impression: Somewhere In The Between is much more mature in sound compared to Everything Goes Numb and the remake of Keasbey Nights, probably coming from the 3-5 years it took to develop each song on the album as opposed to the other albums' 1-3 years. However, no matter what the real reason behind the sound is, the album is definitely a must-get for any Streetlight Manifesto fan, or anyone that's willing to try new music. Although it's a personal preference that varies by person, the songs Down, Down, Down to Mephisto's Cafe, Watch It Crash, and We Will Fall together are some of the best songs on the album, each providing catchy music and lyrics with impressive horn hooks to come up with almost epic songs. some good things about the album besides the afforementioned maturity and richer sound could be that solos get more importance, as well as more focused on overall weaving horn patterns. The only problem with Somewhere In The Between is that there's not more songs on it. As mentioned earlier, you should definitely buy a copy as soon as possible, and hunt down any crazy dumbass that even tries to steal it from you to get it back. // 9

Somewhere In The Between Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 15, 2007

Sound: After the release of their highly rated debut album Everything Goes Numb, Streetlight Manifesto were welcomed into the ska scene with arms wide open. It wasn't long before fans were in demand of a sophomore release. This demand wasn't met for years, until now, with the release of the highly anticipated Somewhere In The Between. Upon the first listen, it is hard to pick out the 'best' track as every track on the album is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Down, Down, Down to Mephisto's Caf is a perfect example of classic Streetlight Manifesto. An instant sing-along, the track is certain to tear your head apart with its catchy vocals, horns, and guitars. The Blonde Lead The Blind has by far the most upbeat horn tune ever heard on any ska song -- ever. That tune alone makes the song worth listening to, and promises to make the track a certain live favorite. Listening to the album, it is easy to pick out different influences the band may have used. For example, it seems that some of the songs give the impression of being slightly System of a Down-esque, but in a ska-y way. An example of this would be the fourth track Watch It Crash, which has a stunningly powerful ending. On ending track What A Wicked Gang We Are, the guitar can be said to be to some extent 'metal-ish'. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album, in contrast to the instrumentals, are relatively menacing. Examples of such sinister lyrics range from death and the afterlife (Would You Be Impressed? and We Will Fall Together), abuse and self-harm (The Receiving End Of It All) and losing religious faith (The Blonde Lead The Blind). Although the lyrics may be of a satirical nature, they are incredibly interesting to listen to, and sometimes even funny. This is a good thing, of course, as it means that the album is thrilling not only because of the instrumentals, but also because of the lyrics. The unhealthily catchy title track Somewhere In The Between displays lyrics such as So you were born, and that was a good day; Someday you'll die, and that is a shame; But somewhere in the between was a life of which we all dream; And nothing and no one will ever take that away commenting on cherishing and living life to the fullest. One of the more satirical songs on the album, Forty Days talks about loneliness and rejection from heaven due to 'tasting' the seven sins: And nobody's going to hold your hand on the day you die; I've tasted seven sins, so they won't let me in; I knock knock knock until my knuckles are bruised and raw; Stuck in the middle with my blood in a puddle on the floor. // 9

Overall Impression: The second record release from the New Jersey seven-some meets all expectations and more. The bands exceedingly catchy brand of upbeat pop ska is once again perfectly executed on their sophomore release with a perfect mix of horns, guitars, bass, drums, and vocal melodies. This record is the perfect ska album and is a must have for any music fan. // 9

Somewhere In The Between Reviewed by: kalnoky7, on january 14, 2008

Sound: What can I say? This album is one of the best I've seen in many years. And that's sayin something. Many years is basically my whole life. You can clearly hear the exhaustion with which this masterpiece was done. Every single detail counts to perfection so crank it up, and turn up the volume or you may miss them. Recomended to ska and punk fans (mostly ska. Awaited for so long, SM fans were already conjuring preposterous (in my opinion) theories as to what it would sound like. there was even a time that people believed it would be "Everything went numb II". What a stupid thing to think There was only a Keasbey nights II beacause of the band change. Listen to the whole end of 1234, 1234 from SM to understand. // 10

Lyrics: Tomas, as good as ever in the lyrics of every song. If you're reading this review, you already know how they'll be. However, the lyrics as as good as ever. Not better as the sound is. I actually don't see how they could be better anyway The theme is heaven, hell, lack of faith, religion. Very well developed I would say "We made our beds, we'll judge ourselves, and only there and then will we disappear to our final resting place." "I won't claim to believe the things I read, Black books or agenda magazine, I'd rather see in shades of gray." "So f--k the flocks of sheep that keep amassing masses, asses being led so far astray." // 9

Overall Impression: So, you know know my opinion on the album. All that's left is a comparison with other works. This one is the best, in the overall, however, it has no Dear Sergio or Here's to life. Those remain the best songs. What else? // 10

Somewhere In The Between Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2010

Sound: This album overall, was amazing. The music didn't seem verse, chorus, verse, so on. It had a lot of parts it seemed, or cool variations. It is definitly not an album that you would skip to the good song. Every song was great. I think the trumpets flowed perfect with the songs and had a lot complex parts. The bass is incredible. When I listen to some songs "Somewhere in the Between" "We Will Fall Together" and "Would you be Impressed" just sent shivers down my spine of how it flowed. Every musician knew what they were doing it seemed. Also DEFINITLY not repeatative in each song. As a ska fan, this is completely different then reel big fish or less than jake. It seems like a mix of NOFX and bosstones. // 10

Lyrics: I love the singer with a kinda scratchy voice. He sounds like NOFX or Rancid. Some find it annoying, but his fast but clear words are great. The lyrics have meaning it seems. I don't know a lot about how good lyrics are, though haha. He sings fast, and I think is perfect to the songs sound. // 8

Overall Impression: I love absolutely everything about this album. It was definitly different from other ska punk. The wind instrument solos make up the songs and the bass is great. The best songs were "Somewhere in the Between" "We Will Fall Together" "Would you be Impressed" "Forty Days" amd "Down Down Down to Mephisto's Cafe" I think this album is only for people with a taste like mine. If you don't mind rancid and love ska punk, this is a great artist for you. If someone stole this, after I was done crying, I would track down the robber and kill him. // 10

More Streetlight Manifesto reviews rating latest review