Dead FM Review

strike anywhere: Dead FM
Release Date: Jun 7, 2006
Label: Fat Wreck Chords
Genres: Hardcore Punk, Punk Revival
Anthemic and powerful, Dead FM is an extraordinarily meaty set, with the liner note's song annotations providing even more food for thought.
 9.6
 9.1
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Dead FM Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2007

Sound: My initial impression was fairly good. On the surface, strike anywhere seems like just your average band, but their passion and creativity makes them stand out. The basis is punk rock/hardcore with melody, but they mix in hints of classic rock and folk for a memorable experience. // 10

Lyrics: Brilliant. While they may not be ambiguious, like AFI, their real strength lies in their ability to mix the personal with the political. The opening track deals with the singer's grandfather's involvement in the manhattan project, and why that caused both the singer and his father to be born with birth defects. And, speaking of which, the singers voice is amazing, even for someone who wasn't born with a cleft lip and other deformities (said birth defects). The whole hardcore screaming effect is not lost in his case. he knows when and how to balance it out with his great singing. // 10

Overall Impression: It definetly holds up amongst other bands of their genre (Rise Against, Death By stereo, Paint It Black, Against Me!) I would have to say my favorite tracks are: How To Pray, Prisoner Echoes, Instinct, and Hollywood Cemetery. What I loved was the passion and intelligence that everyone in the band exerted. The only real downside what that on first impression, the songs don't have much diversity. however, on a closer listen they have individual traits. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definetly buy it again, albeit pissed. // 10

More Strike Anywhere reviews rating latest review