First Impressions Of Earth Review

Lyrics: 8.7
 9.1
 9.2
First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: nineinch9, on december 05, 2005

Sound: When I first heard that The Strokes were releasing an album called First Impressions Of Earth, I thought that The Strokes were going prog-rock on us. Rather ironic. The Strokes' sound on this album has definetly evolved to a point where this is about as prog-rock as their going to get. Their guitar work is definetly more technical and the overall song structures on most songs aren't exactly standard. The also manage to break the 3 minute mark on a lot of instances, something they havent really tried to do before, while also stretching this album to 14 tracks at 52 minutes. But with a lot a artists and bands, especially this year, making bold changes to their sound or how they write, I won't go and say that The Strokes have made a huge step in a new musical direction. A lot of what The Strokes are is still very present. Guitar riffs that are catchy as hell, while the overall sound isn't something that doesn't sound like something The Strokes wouldn't write. // 10

Lyrics: Maybe I'm focusing on the guitar riffs way to much, but half the time I miss what the words are. That maybe the only possible flaw to this album I can think of, in that they've focused most of the songs on the instruments and away from the voice. Other then that they haven't change this department much, which is definetly a good thing. // 9

Overall Impression: Definetly a great album, and an awesome way to bring in what will be 2006. This album will not disapoint long time fans, with songs like Juicebox or You Only Live Once, and also brings something new to the table, with songs like the eerely sounding Ask Me Anything, which is sure to be in a car commercial in the not to distant future. I like the fact that, basically, the formula is the same, just a lot more added emotion to convey. With a lot of bands constantly changing up their sound and in the process alienating fans in the process, it's good to know some things don't change, or at least not planning to. // 10

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: genresrforposer, on march 23, 2006

Sound: The reviews for The Stroke's third album have so far been mixed. Some say it's the worst album they've done yet, others that they're begginning to advance in terms of songwriting. Well this review is like those others: it's mixed. The CD starts out strong with the simple upbeat "You Only Live Once" which features some nice drumming. It continues its winning streak with the faster-paced "Juicebox" and by the time the amazing solo-like riff in "Heart In A Cage" comes on you realize it is one of the best songs on the album if not the best, and probably will be remembered years later. "Razorblade" also has a very cool riff that carries the song as well as nicely smooth vocals. "On The Other Side" has a cool bassline, interlude and atmospheric chorus. "Vision Of Division" shows few signs of weakness with fast riffs and good beats and rhythms (and nice sitar solo), but lacks the copiuos appeal of the earlier 5 tracks (though it's still an excellent song) and foreshadows a decline in songwriting for the bigger portion of the album's latter half. By the time "Ask Me Anything" comes into the speakers you wonder where the cool riffs and rythyms went and why on here they've been replaced by the never-changing simple and sometimes annoying keyboard notes. The song is sometimes relaxing, but it's not amazingly well done. Luckily "Elecrticityscape" quickly makes you forget that little dissapointment with atmospheric sounds and all around good instrumentals (even though the solo is unneccesary), only for the album to remind you about dissapointment with the same slow riff repeated throughouth the entirety of "Killing Lies" (plus a solo sounding uncannily similar to the one in "Electricityscape"). Again, like "Ask Me Antything," the song's not terrible but it's nothing special either. "Fear Of Sleep" is love it or hate it and I love it for its cool sleepy-but-hip riffs and cool-sounding pre-chorus and it begins the process of picking the album's songwriting glory up again. "15 Minutes" starts out slow but gets faster at the end. It is annoying at first, but picks up in the middle and becomes a pretty good song. And when we arrive close to the album's end, track 12 or "Ize Of The World" finally echoes the excellence in quality of the first six tracks and "Electricityscape" with an outer space style sound and a wonderfully fast starry chorus riff complete with another great rythm and beat. Unfortunately almost immediately after we get back to the top quality music, "Evening Sun" puts those listening to ease or sleep but certainly not excitement. Again it isn't terrible but definitely skippable. The album ends with a cool and quality song that has good beat and rhythm to boot and the drumming is simply excellent but compared to tracks like "Razorblade" and "You Only Live Once" it sounds a bit empty. And with this the album ends not dissapointingly but with the listener knowing the album fell a bit short of being truly great. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are sometimes deep and insightful, sometimes meaningless but fun, and often depressed. Much like today's society. 01. You Only Live Once - has insightful lyrics about the millions of ways to live one's life and ranges from subject matter such as criticizing organized religion as not mattering which you choose because each is just "one stubborn way to turn your back" to the less rebellious idea of men being easier to please than women. 02. Juicebox - repeats the phrase "you're so cold" while trying to get a lost love who misses the way she saw the singer to "come over here" and appreciate the city without complicated relationship issues. 03. Heart In A Cage - is a song in which the singer feels trapped behind the bars brought about by a break-up, claiming the singer is "stuck in a city but [he belongs in a field]" and that unlike many others just fucking around doesn't make him feel better, possibly because he wants for something deeper. 04. Razorblade - metaphorically compares the song title's deadly object to the concept of love, also claiming that love is extremely complicated sometimes and sometimes not, and that each spouse in a relationship is more self-loving than in love. 05. On The Other Side - has depressing lyrics that are about drinking and hatred and as a result of drinking even more hatred and can drag down an otherwise catchy song too. Luckily the interlude and chorus are free of too much of that same bitterness. 06. Vision Of Division - looks at the singer's want to have his girlfriend alone with him rather than with friends he can't stand. 07. Ask Me Anything - has bitterly sarcastic lyrics about how summer camps were named after hostile indians and soldiers were named after harmless children. Too bad after the controversial sarcasm stops it gets replaced by the words "I've got nothing to say" being repeated to the point of insanity. Also, depressed lyrics about feeling worthless. 08. Electricityscape - is about an ashamed person leaving old friends for fame and stardom. 09. Killing Lies - is about having to go through trouble to get what you want being a fact of life. 10. Fear Of Sleep - is about what the song title suggests: the singer being afraid of sleep due to the drunkards who have found out where he is sleeping. 11. 15 Minutes - is about how 15 minutes of fame is a lot like the life we have here on earth and a hidden qoute on the lyric sheet (see "overall impression" section) states that both are dreams and in both people share you in different ways. 12. Ize Of The World - is about apathy of modern life and features many words that ryhme because they all end with the suffix "-ize." 13. Evening Sun - is about the abuse of power and how much we are attracted to it. 14. Red Light - is both about the singer being in love and willing to wait for whenever his girlfriend is ready to take the relationship further and a farce on modern society saying "do it for the people that have died for your sake, an entire generation with nothing to say" or basically that US soldiers defended our freedom only to have what was once a great nation hesitate and even sometimes move backwards due to ridiculous "political correctness." As for the vocals the singer needs to stay inside his range so his attempt at louder singer doesn't make his voice crack. // 8

Overall Impression: Despite the fact I am giving this album an 8 out of 10, I enjoyed it as a 9 out of 10 due to the good outweighing the bad and being much better than more radio-friendly crap. However, The Strokes still have kinks to work out at least on this album and while I thought it was great only a few songs are good enough to be remembered years later (unlike the previous sections, the tracks are not in order this time). Songs like "You Only Live Once," "Razorblade," "On The Other Side," and "Red Light" (to a close extent, anyway) display an excellence in songwriting and musical efficiency while being slower but edgy and well-done enough that they seem upbeat and fast, while songs like "Juicebox," "Heart In A Cage," "Vision Of Division," "Electricityscape" and "Ize Of The World" are monumentally good or at least have excellent quality with fast riffs and lovely playing. "Fear Of Sleep" isn't quite great but its definitely pretty good with its cool atmosphere. "15 Minutes" doesn't quite suggest a high amount of quality but definitely rises above the boring and repetive skippability that is "Ask Me Anything" and "Evening Sun." One of the cool things about the album is the way every page of the lyrics sheet has a hidden qoute for each song as well as distinguished artwork. For instance on the page with the lyrics to "Ize Of The World," next to the boy with cannons for eyes there is a 20th century fox-esque logo for the track's title. On the topmost part of the letter I's emergence is writtenin tiny print: "can our minds ever evolve to become something more than an extension of our animal needs?" Despite its shortcomings, this is the best album I have heard in a long time, and good or bad it's definitely clear the band is doing what it wants with its music. That's the beauty of indie rock. // 8

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: whereswaldo954, on february 14, 2006

Sound: First Impressions Of Earth is, in all honesty, not The Strokes' greatest album. Most of the CD is great, but on several tracks where they try something new, they fail. It starts of teriffically, with 'You Only Live Once', a song with a bright melody, upbeat tempo, and cheerful lyrics, and 'Juicebox', the second song on the album is also, if nothing else, original. Taking you from a heavy baseline, borderlining into grunge, then finally into a soaring melody. The combination, suprisingly, sounds pretty damn good. Razorblade is another nice track, bringing an almost melancholic chorus to meet an ubeat, poppy verse. There is another side to the album however. '15 Minutes', for example, starts out with a mangled ballad, then leads into an upbeat rocker. The effect is something other then pleasing. 'Ize Of The World' and 'Heart In A Cage' both sound like some of their older work, without sounding like they completely duplicated it. All in all, there was more good then bad. // 7

Lyrics: As in both of The Strokes other albums, vocals, and therefore lyrics are not at the forefront. They override the vocals with the reverb and guitar riffs, making it hard to distinguish exactly what the lyrics are. However, Julian Casablanca's voice does go with the style of music, and the overall feeling recieved from the vocals is very positive. // 7

Overall Impression: If I had to choose between First Impressions of Earth and Room on Fire (their earlier album) I would probably choose the latter. In Room on Fire, the style that I had become used to was in more of a foreground, while in First Impressions, the band departed from the familiar to experiment with new sounds (which is completely fine). Still, although not the orthodox Strokes album, I enjoyed First Impressions thoroughly, and would probably buy another copy if it were stolen. I liked the 'old-school' remixing that they did on the album, but didn't care so much for the experimentation. My favorite tracks are would be 'You Only Live Once', 'Razorblade', and 'Heart In A Cage'. // 8

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2006

Sound: The Strokes have always had a very classic rock kind of style, this album is no exception. Their sound has not changed much over the years and the only exception on this album to that particular style is "Ask Me Anything". The sound is great if your into that classic rock kind of sound. It's also good for anyone who is into modern music. // 9

Lyrics: On the first two Strokes albums the lyrics were always catchy and great, but they weren't flat out amazing. However, on this album singer Julian Casablancas lyrics are indeed flatout amazing. Also Julians vocals are just sensational he really has improved his voice on this record. Also, on the first 2 albums the vocals seemed to be turned down or distorted, but on this record they seem to be much louder and more understandable which definatley maked listening more enjoyable. Whenever he just starts screaming I almost get goose bumps. With lyric like "The sky is not the limit and your never gonna guess what is" just make this album Flat out amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome album, one of the best albums of the year. Stand out tracks are "You Only Live Once", "Razorblade", "Fear Of Sleep", "15 Minutes", "Ize Of The World", and "Red Light". Not much anything to hate abotu this album except maybe "Ask Me Anything" because it is very different than any other Storkes song you have to hear it to know what I'm talking about. This album is great I'll buy it as many times as I have to, I truly recomend this awesome album. // 10

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: AngryGoldfish, on march 07, 2008

Sound: The Strokes are among the small minority of bands that maintain a level of 'cool' that debates whether they can compliment that suave and sophistication with true, bitter, grinding emotion. And proudly I can say that every album The Strokes have released has lived up to any impression you may first have of them. To explain more, this album is one of those rare moments where you feel all the different emotions your body allows you to feel. The opening You Only Live Once is a sweet song of casual ethics and diversity. It bubbles out a warm sensation in your 'guttiwutts' that is perfectly proceeded by the energetic and sleazy bass line of Juicebox. And all the guitar nuts have an ear full as well you listen to the blinding guitar work of Heart In a Cage. Even though it sounds easy, it is extremely difficult to play. That is a quality that few bands can muster up, the ability to sound simple in a cosmic way. Look at all the best bands, Metallica, Detones, System of a Down, Nirvana, Korn, The Beatles, they all sound simple and yet contain inner depths that begs you to question whether they are even human! The Strokes can rip out tune after tune of musical passion without becoming succumbed to their obvious slickness and abilities. Their songs are ripe with raw recklessness but they still indubitably know how to work in a studio. Particularly with this album, we see a new side to The Strokes. They have not quite abandoned their simplistic approach to recording and writing, but they have certainly stepped up in the difficulty and diversity in this album. The songs are longer, more complex, have more parts to them and so on. Don't feel scared by that thought, if their stripped back angles was the reason why you loved them in the first place, as they still advocate a sense of carelessness and defiance in their music. Their sound is a mixture of The Pixies, The Smiths, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Yeah Yeah Yeah's and other similar acts. But it is hard to actually pin down their character seeing as it is so diverse and articulate. It almost feels like they invented the original New York Indie sound, so nothing to compare them to before they began. That sound that The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, and Interpol had all followed. They are true pioneers, because they don't care what people think. They just write some of the most animated and enthusiastic material ever recorded. // 9

Lyrics: Don't be a coconut, God is trying to talk to you. The perfect epitome of what The Strokes entail: Sweet, sorrowful lines of reality. it's not only the words that he uses that announce him as an amazing lyricist, it's the way he sings them and how purely the words coincide with the tune. The way he slowly lowers his voice as if he is talking to his children, advising them on how to shave or to pet the dog. The compassion and obvious sincerity in his songs is so rare in music that, when you find it, you should bask in it and repeat it over and over again. Just so you can get the most out of it. I hate them all, I hate them all, I hate myself for hating them, So drink some more, I'll love them all, I'll drink even more, I'll hate them even more than I did before. This is another example of how you can rearrange something simple like this into a totally different idea by the way in which you sing into that Shure SM58, or whatever they may of used in the studio. The passion that is displayed is a true testament to their genius. Every single lyrical passage is enviable and desirable. it's like the riff to Pantera's Walk, you wish so much that you had wrote it, or the solo to Comfortable Numb. Every word becomes powerful and effective its own little way. // 10

Overall Impression: Put simply, this is why I feel this is the best album they have ever penned: The exotic scale behind the solo to Vision of Division. The low rumblings in the instrument used on Ask me Anything. The extended chorus to Ize of the World. The way the album feels like it's about to end, twice! It peaks at Vision of Division and slows down with Ask me Anything and then, it starts all over again with the superbly titled Electricityscape. Just when you think it's all over and it's time to turn off the CD player at 15 Minutes, it rips out another cracking tune, Ize of the World. The way the bass lines accompany the guitar parts and the super fast single foot kick drum so amiably. The lyrics that seem to just go on forever Ize of the World. I have never heard a song that can rhyme for so long as that. what's more, they all make perfect sense and are poetic but not overly poetic that it becomes pretentious. It hints on political atrocities instead of beating on them. It admonitions his own sadnesses but it fails to become to personal, and it builds up in such a way that you feel like standing along with the crescendo and his wailing and then, it cuts off! // 10

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2006

Sound: First Impressions Of Earth is to hit number one in the UK album charts this weekend and deservedly so. The album not only signifies a return to form for The Strokes, but also a development in their sound and musical direction. First Impressions... is a logical expansion upon previous albums and their sound, however, it doesn't prove to be as progressive as I expected. The production has produced as lo-fi a sounding album as the previous two, however Nick Valensi has been allowed to add riffs and licks which would have sounded out of place on Room On Fire and Is This It? Amongst the fairly different sounding material is mixed some reasonably standard Strokes stuff. Songs such as Killing Lies and Evening Sun could easily fit with the sound of Is This It? On first listen the two I just mentioned seemed to be filler on an otherwise daring album, but they certainly grow on you. Surprisingly the more adventurous and 'progressive' material has a little less lifespan than you would think. The guitars are very much in keeping with what you expect from the strokes, very clean and 'accurate'. However this album allows Albert Hammond Jr. and Nick Valensi to add there considerable talent and colour to the songs. I'd still personally buy Is This It? over First Impressions... if I were to choose on the guitar alone, purely because the guitars compliment the songs near perfectly. First Impressions... comes close in this sense, but generally the sound of the album doesn't quite match up to The Strokes first release. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically the album is very much in the same territory as the previous two. Songs such as Juicebox are more direct and to the point, making the subject matter a bit easier to understand. This was somewhat lacking from Room On Fire and is definitely a positive feature of Julian's writing this time around. Comparatively the lyrical material seems to be darker and certainly had an impact of me. Lyrics such as "I'm tired of everyone I know, of everyone I see, on the street and on TV" are an asset to the album. It may be taxing at times trying to figure out what Julian's actually singing, but this album is my favourite of the three Strokes releases, lyrically. In some ways the real progression is in a lyrical sense. However the delivery of the lyrics is much the same as you hear on Is This It? and Room On Fire, but changing that would be taking away the character Jules adds to Strokes songs. // 10

Overall Impression: First of all, First Impressions Of Earth is a very good album, and a logical progression from The Strokes. It far surpasses Room On Fire but doesn't really come close to topping Is This It? however if it had achieved the latter there would be a case for it being named best album of the decade. There are a number of truly great songs, which are incredibly written on the album. Yet as an album there is a feeling that the songs begin to weaken as the album draws to a close. This is redeemed by Electricityscape and Ize Of The World which are two of the best Strokes songs I've heard (the latter being my favourite song of the strokes pretty expansive collection). There are a number of great guitar tracks on First Impressions..., however if you're new to them I'd still go for their debut. The album leaves me with the feeling that there is a lot to come from the band and that I've bought an album that'll keep me entertained for a long time to come. First Impressions... is one of those must buy albums, just don't expect it to be incredibly different to what you've heard before from them. This is 52 minutes of great stuff, it's not another Is This It? but it's definitely satisfied me. // 8

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: jenkins3303, on may 24, 2007

Sound: Mt first impression of this CD was "Wow, through a few changes, these guys still sound great!" With there Alternative type style, mixed with each of their own contributions, they still came out with an amazing CD. Though a few of the songs are a little darker than the rest of their songs, namely Heart in a cage. You only live once is a classic Strokes songs, deeply reflecting the rest of their music. And of course, with an amazing solid bass line, "Juicebox" (a nice little twist from the rest of the Cd) is one of their greatest hits. These guys, are in my opinion, some of the greatest musicians of the time! // 10

Lyrics: All of the lyrics of this CD seem to have a deeper meaning than one would get at first glance, but some other lyrics couldnt be Clearer. No matter what they always sound great! The singing is always great as well! He has a uniqness about his voice that makes you remember what you here. Add that to the amazing Drumming, and the Guitars and you have one hell of a band! Its plain to see that without any of these guys, the band would not be the same. // 10

Overall Impression: I would recomend this CD to anyone I came across, as well as "Is This It" and "Room On Fire." They should definetly be part of your CD collection. All of these songs are great. There sound is amazing, and I would deffently buy another copy if stolen! Please tell me what you think of the Strokes. To me, they are the greatest band in the world. Better than most of the bands you would here on the Radio. // 10

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2006

Sound: The Strokes greatest strength, the combination of the two guitars isn't as noticeable in this album. Valensi pulls off some great riffs or solos in this but Hammond Jr.'s guitar can hardly be heard in tracks like Heart In A Cage and Razorblade and you sometimes wonder whether both guitars were needed in some of the songs. Mind you, Hammond Jr. does play the awesome solo in Vision Of Division. Having said that the improvement in the basslines and the drumbeats were phenomenol. On Room On Fire the drumbeats were boring and shit and the bassline was usually playing one note over and over again. But now the drums are more intricate and I am finally convinced that Fabrizio Moretti is a good drummer. The same can be said for the basslines (check out the bass during the verse of Razorblade). // 8

Lyrics: It's hard to put your finger on what Casablancas is on about, a lot of his previous songs were about tiring relationships. It's true with some of the songs on this album but now he cover more topics. Killing Lies is supposedly about the late ex moldy peaches guitarist Aaron Wilkinson. Songs like 15 minutes seems to be talking about the Strokes' fame and how they are talked about by the critics ('Cause today they'll talk about us/And tomorrow they won't care). In particular Ize of the World is their best song lyrically since Hard to Explain (Just like music was born/And detached from your heart/Is your free time to free mindsor for falling apart) I've not got aclue what he's on about but they sure sound good. // 8

Overall Impression: The main problem about this album is that, unlike "Is This It," The Strokes chose quantity over quality here. This album could have done without tracks like Killing Lies, 15 Minutes and Fear of Sleep. It's not that these songs are awful, they do have their good point it's just that it brings the album down a mark or two. At fourteen tracks it's just way too long. Despite this there are some absolute crackers here (YOLO, Ize Of The World, Razorblade, Juicebox etc). But also FIOE marks a new beginning for The Strokes here. Their style of playing is still the same but has been tweaked so it is a much clearer and newer sound and we can finally hear Julian's voice nice and clear. If the Strokes continue in this direction their next effort just might be a classic. But should you buy it? Well, I am a massive Strokes fan so anything they produce will probably please me. If you're not a fan I can't heavily recomend, you may be dissappointed. If you want a taster of the album download these: You Only Live Once, Razorblade and Vision Of Division. If you like them then I think the album is worth getting, just don't expect too much. // 8

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 19, 2006

Sound: The Strokes' musicianship has improved greatly from Is This It and ROom On Fire. Between 2002 and now, lead guitarist Nick Valensi has gained some pretty impressive chops, drummer Fab Moretti became a great modern rock drummer, while the whole band has grown together as one chemistry filled genuine rock band. While songs like "You Only Live Once," and "Razorblade" follow the classic Strokes formula, new tunes such as the lead single, "Juicebox," and "Ize Of The World" point the group in a new direction. // 10

Lyrics: While they often fit the songs quite well, the lyrics on First Impressions of Earth are nothing to rave about. In songs like "Ask Me Anything," and "Juicebox, singer Julian Casablancas repeats some of the same lines almost to the point of insanity. Also, Casablancas' voice often can't reach the notes he is attempting to hit, which may or may not contribute to their careless, laid-back approach to music. Overall, I think that his voice suits the band quite well, though sometimes I feel like he is holding the band back with his limited vocal range. // 7

Overall Impression: This album, while very similar at certain moments, is a huge departure from the two and a half minute, pop-like song structures that were featured in 2001's Is This It and 2003's Room On Fire. Faster, more more aggressive songs are what you often find, with songs like "Vision Of Division," "Heart In A Cage" and "Juicebox," which are all standout songs on the album. The lyrical highpoint is definately "Ize Of The World," a clever poem about media censorship, and the mellow numbers, "Ask Me Anything" and "15 Minutes" are good songs to relax with. The stunning instrumentals impress me much more than the sometimes lackluster lyrics/vocals, but this album will be very important in the modern rock scene in years to come, and with good reason; it is a positive milestone for the Strokes. // 9

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: Tadely, on july 10, 2006

Sound: The album First Impressions Of Earth is a very good album. The Strokes comination of bass and two rythm guitars make a truly unique sound. I'd like to emphasize the great rythm guitaarists. They use a balanced mix of notes and chords and their pace makes for a very up-beat sound. The great beats and rythms of The Strokes make t hem a commendable alternative band. // 9

Lyrics: In my opinion the lyrics on this album are not especially extrodinary. Rather they were mediocre. Even though the lyrics were not great the vocalist for The Strokes is very talented and has a great voice. The speed of his singing is usually slower than the speed of the instruments witch makes a different sound. Overall the lyrics are not goood even though the vocalist is very talented. // 6

Overall Impression: The album is very similar to their earlier albums. The album has fast-paced songs along with slower, mellow songs with gives a variety of beats and speeds. Some good songs on the album are Juicebox, Heart In A Cage, Fear Of Sleep, and Red Light. I like the album because of the talent of the guitarists and the up-beat tempo. I dislike the amount of slower-paced songs. // 8

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on august 09, 2006

Sound: Strokes' sound can vary quite a bit which is unique to most bands and artists as they show in their latest album. For example: the first two songs: 'You Only Live Once' and 'Juicebox' a real upbeat tempo style as later on in the album the songs start to weaken but still soothing enough for you to carry on listening. What's maybe also annoying is that in the songs the guitars produce quite normal plain electic sounds, but when performing their guitars sound more electric. As in their performance in Ireland about a week or two ago playing the vibrant song 'last night. But that doesn't really matter much. Most of the time in this album Julian (vocals) sings quite slow meanwhile guitar 1 and 2 and are speeding away sliding up and down the frets, but overall the sound freshens everthing and sometimes really wants to make yor head bob up and down to the beat. And last but not least the drums have a few show-off-what-you-got- times and surely quite advanced. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes steady and sometimes tail off and just one word can actually last about 3-4 seconds frequently. Their realaxing but Julian seems to mumble and mumur most of the time but is still nice in a way as people most of the time like bands that they need to look into and so on mysterious. Mainly thoughts and questions talked about in the vocals their almost just as good as the sound. So still a high nine. // 9

Overall Impression: It does compare to the other albums but I'd say it's their last best album ('last best' making it sound more cheerful). Most impressive songs are probably 'juicebox' apart from the frequent use of the phrase 'your so cold' which is irritating, Red Light, Heart In A Cage, Ize Of The World, You Only Live Once' and 'On The Other Side. There's a New-York-City complete coolness about The Strokes but I have to make clear and confess that this is not their best album. // 9

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2007

Sound: Many people have said that this album does not compare to the other two. I disagree. I think that The Strokes were just attempting to expand on what they already had. They wanted to build on their old stuff. In some ways, it worked really well. All of the members of the band contribute musically greatly. Albert and Nick blend their guitars masterfully, and Nickolai plays some really good bass riffs. Fabrizio really showed that is he is a good drummer. // 9

Lyrics: Jules has never really written great lyrics, but they are decent. In this album he has some lyrical meanings with songs like on the other side. As for ask me anything, I really don't know what he is talking about but I like the song. I also think that Jules' raspy singing voice is good. // 8

Overall Impression: The Strokes are definetly influenced by some older stuff in the '70s yet they bring a new taste to it. They do their job well and make good music. If this CD was stolen, I would definetly buy a new one. My overall impression of this album is really positive. // 9

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: Electric_sk8r, on december 10, 2007

Sound: It seems that The Strokes base there music around the "Jekyll And Hyde" Overdrive peddle. I myself wish to by one, but they r semi hard to find, and I'm not in a finical position to do so. "You Only Live Once" gives me the most emotional high on this album. Juice box has a Fastest tempo on the album. This I would give the album a 12-11/14, has a high amount of great songs, making is a near to perfect album. I did see a few songs with solos that weren't necessary or didn't belong, like Ize Of The World (but I still love that song, especially the chorus). Best song on the album, a cross between Heart In cage and You only live once. I loved every minute of this album! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics don't always make sense, but they're catchy, fun, and full of emotion. His singing is very unique, perfect for the lyrics 'cause of the emotion he puts in his voice. Many call The Strokes a more of a depressing/emo band but, I think they hold your emotional state in the palms of there hands, and can easily shape it how they please, just like clay. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall a great album, my favorite. They should differently have a greatest hit album in a few years. The songs fill me with many emotions when I listen to them, and I think that's the key to their success. Their music still is very unique and I love it more than anything. The closest bands I can think of that may be similar at all maybe U2 and maybe The Killers. // 10

First Impressions Of Earth Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2011

Sound: The unorthodox design and aura of First Impressions of Earth (FIOE) is ridiculously amazing. The pulling away from the conventional Strokes - esque style found in their debut album Is This It is phenomenal. The awesomness of vocally-gifted singer Julian Casablancas, complexer (relative to their first two albums) guitar styling of Nick Valensi (rhythm) and Albert Hammond, Jr. (lead), is surprisingly wonderful. And the whimsical styles of the album leave you experiencing unbelievably shaking eargasms for 52 minutes and 19 seconds. // 10

Lyrics: Julian Casablancas never failed to impress on Is This It And Room On Fir, and FIOE is no different. From his peppy, high pitch and optimistic tone in "You Only Live Once" to his melancholy, nasal crooning in "Heart in a Cage" is yet another exemplification of the singer's remarkable vocal range. The lyrics are great as well. Sadly, the pricks who run the Recording Industry Association Of America (RIAA) believed that the album was too profane to keep The Strokes' clean sheet unmarked. FIOE is the first album by The Strokes to don a Parental Advisory Label, due to the use of "f--king" (non-sexually), "hell", "shit", "pissed", and "asshole" - which is less coarse than Room on Fire's use of "f--k" and "shit" twice apiece. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to 2001's Is This It and 2003's Room On Fire, critics believe that The Strokes have been freefalling in quality. (And their 2011 album Angles wasn't loved that much either - check out The Guardian's [guardian.co.uk] disgusting review of it). But the direction that The Strokes are going in is very great. Their expansion of styles - styles which were limited to the formulaic garage rock and capped quasi-indie format of Is This It - is superb. I'm glad The Strokes are bound to a 5-record contract with RCA because if what they're capable of doing is anything like FIOE (the third in that 5-CD contract, with Angles [2011] being the fourth), then I can't wait for their fifth release - and their sixth, and their seventh, and their eighth, and their ninth... // 10

More Strokes reviews rating latest review
+ Comedown Machine 8.1 04/10/2013