Secondhand Smoke Review

sublime: Secondhand Smoke
Released: Nov 11, 1997
Genre: Ska-Punk
Label: MCA
Second-hand Smoke is an album by the band Sublime. It was released in 1997 following the death of lead singer Bradley Nowell the year before. The songs consist of unreleased material and recycled and remixed versions of previous tracks.
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Secondhand Smoke Reviewed by: \m/Angus\m/, on march 26, 2009

Sound: The sound of the band on this album can best be described as "Reggae with a hint of Spanish influence" if you ask me. The tracks all have some type of reverb or delay on them and it really fit's Sublime's overall style. The boys deliver on every track with great playing and originality. // 9

Lyrics: Bradley does not disappoint on Secondhand Smoke. The songs mainly cover heartbreakin' and love makin'. "Romeo" is a basic love story about a man who can't find anyone who understands him and takes him for what he is. "Get Out! (Remix)" is a remix of the original Get Out! And is basically about a party gone bad if I'm understanding it right. "Chick On My Tip" is an English version of "Chica On Mi Tip" from 40oz. To Freedom and is definitely better than the first. It's about getting laid, but not by the girl who is obviously begging for Brad back. "Had A Dat" is my favorite from the album and is basically a story about Brad with bass and drum backing the whole way through. It has a real nice groove feeling about it. Brad's vocals on this are great and it really shows throughout the CD. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to Sublime's other albums, I think this one is the best. It has a very original sound and each track has something to offer. "Had A Dat" is the first one you should check out, followed by "Thanx Dub" the only instrumental on the album that has one of the greatest solos by Brad in it. "Chick On My Tip" is a great song to laugh too and "Romeo" and "Slow Ride" are good when you are feeling down about a girl. If I could make anything better about it, it would just be to have more tracks like the ones it already has. If it got stolen I'd have to buy a new copy, because some of the songs on here are just too good to live without. // 10

More Sublime reviews rating latest review
+ 40oz. To Freedom 9.2 03/27/2012