Pierced From Within Review

8.3
 8.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Pierced From Within Reviewed by: avengedEVANfold, on april 01, 2009

Sound: This Suffocation album stands out more than the previous albums to me, sound wise. It seems like the band went back and thought of their production very hard. The vocals are more understandable, the guitar has less frivolous gain, and the snare seems tighter. But don't be mistake; this is still the Suffocation I fell in love with. The guitar solos are still blazing fast, with a hellish drum beat over it. They combine groove with hellish brutality. For example, the track "Catatonia", kind of has an odd rhythem at the beginning, leading with the tom roll. This is singer's voice has really improved on this album. Well done. My favorite track has to be "Thrones Of Blood". // 8

Lyrics: Not much variety lyric wise. They still talk about their hate of Jesus and such. "Sodomize my cross for it now marks your existence." - from the title track. Don't get me wrong, they are good lyrics for the topic, but I don't really want to hear 12 tracks of "I hate Christ". Maybe it's just me? Anyway, as I said before, the singer has improved tons. He is actually understandable now! // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is this is a solid album, by a solid band. It has been very influential to me and many others. A must have for sure. "Catatonia", "Brood Of Hatred", and the title track, "Pierced From Within", are defitnely the most intense songs on this album. I love the sound of the snare on this. It was a good choice for them, as well as the sound of the guitars. Seems well mixed, too. If this album was stolen, I would be bummed, but not nessacerily thirsty for the blood of the thief. // 9

More Suffocation reviews rating latest review
+ Pinnacle Of Bedlam 9.1 02/15/2013