Chuck Review

sum 41: Chuck
Released: Oct 12, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
The sound on this album is great. The lyrics on this cd are pretty good. Most of the songs sounding pretty metalish.
Chuck Reviewed by: Adarsh, on february 24, 2006

Sound: Sum 41? The first that would have popped into your head about 2 years ago would have been pop-punk, maybe a little bit of Punk Rock mixed in. Now? The sound has evolved into a lot more metal-like sound, with much heavier distortion, more screaming, harder drumming, and some amazing solos. 01. Intro - some nice guitaring and improvising, and a perfect lead-up to the 2nd track. 02. No Reason - the screaming at the start kind of surprises you, but still an amazing track with some punk mixed here and there. Nice back-up vocals by Dave. 03. We're All To Blame - the 1st single off the album, and a great song. From the metal sound with the shouting in the verse and bridge to the melodic vocals and tune in the Chorus, this song compliments itself perfectly. 04. Angels With Dirty Faces - quiet intro, with Deryck's muttering the lyrics softly, but the song picks up well. 05. Some Say - one of the best songs of the album, with some lovely lyrics. One of the only songs that could have fitted in previous albums. 06. The Bitter End - great song, with the best solo I've heard. Deryck's singing and screaming in this song sounds a lot more refined. 07. Open Your Eyes - one of the best tracks, with great speedy drumming, great melody in the chorus, and some grooving bass as well. 08. Slipping Away - Sum 41 show their softer side. From the acoustic guitar in the start, the louder drums in the middle, to the string orchestra in the end, this track is a gem in the album. 09. I'm Not The One - great intro, but that's about it. Deryck screams a bit too much in this one, and the bridge is ripped off some Linkin Park song. 10. Welcome To Hell - the structure resembles 'Welcome To Paradise' of Green Day, and it's a great song. Nice bass solos and drums in this one. 11. Pieces - the standout of this album, with some great melodic singing, and a perfect solo for the song. Sum 41 cuts the distortion a bit on this one. 12. There's No Solution - another Linkin Park-ish song, but I like the structure and the melodies of the verse mixing with the chorus in the end. 13. 88 - the best end Sum could have ever hoped for. Another great solo, some great singing in the first verse, and some lovely piano and feedback at the end. // 9

Lyrics: Deryck's lyrics get a bit repetitive; I must have heard the words 'fake it' and 'to blame' at least 6-7 times in this album. He makes up for it with some good singing. He ought to cut down on the screaming a bit, and I would give him 10. Dave and Cone back him up with some great vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: I wouldn't like an album as heavy as this one normally, but after 'Does This Look Infected', which was also pretty heavy, I like this new Sum 41 sound a lot. Musically, this is their best album. At last, Sum 41 are showcasing all of their unique talent. I love the solos and the singing in this album, added to the amazing drumming of Stevo. What I dislike is that nearly all the songs are about the same thing; We don't need the control, we'll manage on our own. Punky topic, I guess, but it gets a bit monotonous. Best tracks: We're All To Blame, Open Your Eyes, Slipping Away, Pieces and 88. If it was lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again. // 9

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2004

Sound: Well I was appauled to read the review that they just simply copied of Iron Maiden and Metallica. I mean Some Say, Pieces, Angels With Dirty Faces, We're All To Blame, No Reason, Slipping Away, 88 just these songs to anme a few sound like Maiden. Are you sure you are listening to the same thing? The sound on thsi album is awesome with amazing guitar solos, brilliant drumming, awesome riffs, and there is even time for a bass solo by cone - the sound is amazing! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome. They are about real life situations and really show the lyrical class of Deryck. Each song has a very good meaning especially Pieces, which is a doubled meaning song, which really shows a never ending talent. The singing skills of Deryck are awesome with melodic, soft, loud and rock styled singing all sung brilliantly. All I can say is fantastic! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is faultless. Yes, you can there Metallica influence, especially on The Bitter End, but all their songs are so unique is untrue. What I reallly like about the album is how diverse it is, from the heavy bitter end, to the british sounding some say to the awesome mellowed down tune of pieces. Really this is amazing. The best songs are every single one they all rock and Dvae's talent on the guitar really prevails. If this album was stolen I would defiently by a new copy! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: thevinxman, on june 23, 2005

Sound: I think that this is Sum's best album so far. The sound in it is awesome man! Stevo shows how amazing on the drums, Dave plays some wicked guitar solos such as in 'The Bitter End', Cone shows his master on the bass in his solo in 'Welcome To Hell' and Deryk plays a mean backing guitar and his lyrics are unstoppable. The album is kind of changing from punk into a bit of metal which makes it different from the others. // 10

Lyrics: Deryk is one talented guy and his lyrics are the best! I especially like the lyrics on songs like Peices because it shows their sensitive side but in songs like 'No Reason' and '88'. Cone and Dave provide awsome backing vocals as well. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is by far the best Sum album. The most impressive songs on the album are 'There's No Solution', '88', 'No Reason', 'I'm Not The One' and 'We're All To Blame'. If this album was stolen from me I'd have to buy it again, it's worth that much! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: sum41kid123, on july 25, 2005

Sound: Some great guitaring by Deryck and Dave which really make some songs stick out. I agree that they have gone more metalish but this shows that the sum boys have grown up and really started concentrating on making there songs have a meaning and stand out. Dave has really stood out with his solos and Deryck for showing he has a great voice. Really I couldn't fault this album worth every penny. // 10

Lyrics: Now the Sum boys have grown up they have rally shown what they can do. And after the events that happened when they where recording for there war child film the lyrics have a background back to when they where almost ambushed and where caught up in a gang war when the album title "Chuck" is the name of the man who saved them. Overall, it's the best yet, even though there old stuff was good. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is there best yet with there great solos and lyrics that really mean something. With songs like The Bitter End to Really Get You in the heavy metalish mood, more softer songs like Some Say which is up lifting and Pieces which is a chillout and helps you relax it has some great songs like No Reason and No Solution which show the Sum boys that they are still going strong and still making the best songs out there. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: Gibsum 41, on may 25, 2007

Sound: I got to say that Sum is my favorite band but still I was kinda disappointed with this album. They changed from a cool punk band to a dark emo band who critizises every single issue in this world. The songs were good but their first 3 albums were so much better. It probably is my extreme hate for emo songs since I liked a lot of the songs except for that fact. The band changed to a metal kind of sound and though it sounded good I think it sounded way better in when it had a punk sound. // 7

Lyrics: I really like Deryck's voice. It's one of those voices that are hard immitate by another artist. As I just mentioned before, the lyrics sucked in it's way for being emo but in its other way they were good. What I mean is that the comparing with things and forms of expressing themselves were good. So I didn't either like or hate this album. // 8

Overall Impression: Well I pretty much covered the goods and the wrongs of this album. If you listen to it, almost all the songs are, similar on the eding since all of them have an ending with Deryck singing something different on the very end and finish with it. It was an easy comparable album with a slow song album from another band. I think the best songs were Pieces, Some Say, Were All To Blame and No Reason. // 8

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2004

Sound: When Sum 41 started their careers, they regretfully created an immature, childish reputation for themselves associated with the majority of pop punk bands. Their first effort, 'Half An Hour Of Power' offered some catchy pop punk tunes but provided nothing ground breaking, and Sum 41's existence seemed almost unneccesary with the amount of bands in that genre around that time. Their second album, 'All Killer No Filler' was much the same but brought stardom to the band and gave them serious media attention, particularly through the songs 'Fat Lip' and 'In Too Deep'. All in all the album was simple and immature and offered no originality at all so naturally it fell into the embrace of pop punkers around the world. The third offering 'Does This Look Infected' was relatively heavy in comparison to others and Sum 41 began to show they did possess some talent as they displayed impressive solo's and the occasional metallica style riff as their metal influences begun to emerge in their music. So there you have it, a brief history of Sum 41's music. Their latest album, 'Chuck', received its name after Sum 41 visited The Congo on a 'War Child' campaign. During their visit, violence broke out and their hotel came under attack of gunfire. Their guide 'Chuck' led them to safety and at the time the band swore that they would name their next album after him, a promise they kept. The band seem to have mad a lot of progress with this album. They have moved from pop punk to a blend of spiky punk metal that I think may even attract metal fans. The album opens with an intro which resembles that of the opening of 'Battery' on Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' and then quickly breaks into 'No Reason', a catchy punk song with a metal vibe to it which sets the tone perfectly for the whole album. We then come to the debut single 'We're All To Blame' which is far heavier than anything Sum 41 have done before with guitar riffing that resembles System Of a Down's 'Chop Suey'. Other notable tracks are 'The Bitter End', 'Open Your Eyes' and 'Slipping Away.' The first being a purely metal song which sounds amazingly similar to 'Battery' with heavily distorted guitar riffs and an epic solo. 'Open Your Eyes' is a more classic Sum 41 punk tune although with stronger signals of maturity. 'Slipping Away' is an acoustic ballad, and really shows that things have become more serious for the band. All in all this is a good sounding album. Cool riffs, catchy choruses, awesome solo's, definitely a plus for the band. The blend of metal and punk is something not commonly tried and provides a different, interesting sound. // 8

Lyrics: I think it is fair to say that Deryck Whibley is no Shakespeare when it comes to lyrics, although there are signs of improvement from previous albums. A lot of the time he is clearly singing about political issues facing the world today such as mal-distribution of wealth, which really does show the band as a whole have grown up and are trying to leave their mark in music history. The lyrics are solid, but there is nothing particularly brilliant about them. // 6

Overall Impression: Sum 41 are destined to be clumped with bands such as Green Day and Blink 182, although they don't really sound anything like either of them. This is an impressive album. After listening to all of their other albums it definitely sticks out as the best. Becoming more political, heavier, and serious was definitely a good idea. Although the indications of pop punk are still there, and to say that the band were on their way to becoming hardcore punk or metal would be untrue. Nevertheless this is an album that deserves recognition and is probably worth forking out money for. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2004

Sound: I really got hooked on Sum 41 when their "All Killer No Filler" cd came out. Then "Does This Look Infected?" came out. "Does This Look Infected?" was when the band's sound really started to change from a pop-punk sound to a more heavy, metal-like sound. The sound in "Chuck" is a metal-punk sound. There are quite a few awesome solos! I think that Sum 41 really displayed their talent in this cd. The cd starts out with a cool little intro. and then "No Reason." My favorite tracks are "No Reason," "Angels With Dirty Faces," "Some Say" basically I like every song on this cd. It is really awesome! Everbody should buy this cd! // 10

Lyrics: Really awesome lyrics! The choruses are really catchy. They have gone from singing about girls and breaking up to singing about politics and "more important" issues. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far Sum 41's best album. The best part of this cd is the sweet guitar riffs, solos and well everything about it. It's just an awesome cd. I love all of the guitar parts! Like I said earlier, they show their talent in this cd. I would pay $30 for this cd. I would definitely buy it again if I lost it or if it was stolen. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2004

Sound: I disagree with what some other reviewers have said. I personally went into this cd expecting a whole new metal sound. However, this cd is almost like a review of all of their best sounds from other cds with some new and great sounds. One song sounds to me quite All Killer No Filler, and another sounds a lot like their older more pop like songs. Then a few punk-metal like sounds from Does This Look Infected appear. Then ther is the new sounds. 'The Bitter End' is a Metallica style song that has a fast almost Slayer sounding solo, followed by a very Metallica solo. Then one of the slower songs has a Guns N' Roses style slow part. Very good sound, but there is a vibe of repetition of the Metallica sound. // 8

Lyrics: Some lyrics on this cd are extremely catchy. I find myself singing We're All To Blame and its a very good song. Some other lyrics could be changed to make the songs better (e.g. "this isn't me, this isn't you, its just everyhting we do" sounds a bit cheesy) but I think that Sum 41 have very good lyrics and this cd helps carry on their trend of catchy lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: One of Sum 41s best, thought I personally prefer Does This Look Infected. The cover art reminds me slightly of Green Day and isn't as in-your-face as some of their other covers. Also the title 'Chuck' breaks another trend of cd titles that are phrases, but it is dedicated to a guy named Chuck so I'll let that pass. If you are a Sum 41 fan you will not be dissapointed at all and will enjoy listning to this cd. A variety of great sound, catchy lyrics and some fantastic peices of ax work make this cd great. // 8

Chuck Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 05, 2004

Sound: Ladies and gentlemen I suggest you to make yourself comfortable -- get some beer and take delight in listening to the record. Here is a great new album Chuck from canadian band Sum 41. The guys completely revised their previous creation and now we have absolutely contradictory set of the tracks: along with the customary pop-punk direction of the sounding, Sum 41 tried to introduce a lot of innovations and experiments to the record -- from the britpop-like song "Some Say" and smooth "Slipping Away" to the alternative metal "There's No Solution" and agressive trash tune of "The Bitter End." Because of this, Sum 41 moved away from boring and common mainstream's pop-punk patterns and that allowed them to advance their music. If Sum 41 of "All Killer, No Filler" era was filled with smirking anthems for teenage audience, "Chuck" could expect a few above-average listeners. Of course, it's a commendable undertaking to refuse the musical uniformity and widen the range of own music styles but it's necessary to be careful to avoid the obvious similarity. For example "Some Say" resembles Oasis' "Wonderwall" and "The Bitter End" is short-cut and slightly changed Metallica's "Battery." Probably it's a firm Sum 41's joke -- intention to perform the old songs in the new way? I don't get it. As to the richness of the positive energy and fervour, this album is worth the top marks for all the characteristics -- it's racy and catchy all the way! It has both clean acoustic songs and the heavier stuff; good ol' punk and (almost) pure rock tunes with solos (the most impressive on is featured on "The Bitter End"). The last track "88" is the essence of the whole album -- it mixes up all the aforementioned styles -- a great report of a perfectly done work. The musician skills of Sum 41 worth our special attention. Still keeping the major part of their music at the pop-punk point, the diversity of musical arrangements is wealthy and saturated with different effects and samples. Having the fast guitars and impressive drums, "Chuck" features crashing and grinding metal riffs and this is the most noticeable difference from their previous releases. // 8

Lyrics: In comparison with the sound, a lyrical side of the album is more poor. This is the problem of all the musicians who devote most their attention to the sound -- "Chuck" isn't an exclusion. For the most part, lyrics are mysterious but nonsensical. Though the singer skills of Deryck Whibley and the band as a whole are amazing. Through the listening to this album you can meet both melodic and placid singing and strident screaming. And of course there are a lot of choral singing as the inherent attribute af pop-punk and alikes. All in all -- with that lyrics "Chuck" will never make you to fall into depression. // 8

Overall Impression: At the end I want to note the fact that this album is dedicated to the United Nations volunteer Chuck Pelletier who saved the lives of Sum 41 in Democratic Republic of the Congo -- in June 2004, Sum 41 was there filming a documentary for charity when they found themselves caught in the midst of the country's ongoing hostilities. But Chuck was instrumental in getting the band to safety, and a grateful Sum 41 named their fourth album in his honor. It's showed also by the artwork of "Chuck" -- there is a small poster with military themes and words of gratitude. As to the content directly this is a really worthy record with absolutely harmonious and professional work of the musicians. These guys really make the community to reappraise the mainstream tendencies. It's too important to amaze the audience with something new renouncing from the likeness of the millions of clones. And Sum 41 achieved that. "Chuck," without any doubts, worth your attention. // 8

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Sound: I know people are going to get angry here, but from a musician's point of view this album, although very well played, isn't even theirs. Specifically, they rip off riffs from Metallica, SOAD, Linkin Park, and a few others. This album shows they can play very fast, hard music. I just wish it was theirs. // 4

Lyrics: I thought his writing skills when I came to the lyrics have truly stepped up a notch on this album and will continue into whatever else they write. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, if this album wasn't a compilation of other bands songs I wouldn't be so upset with Sum 41, and for those who disagree, listen to Metallica's Battery, and then listen to Sum 41's The Bitter End, for heaven's sake, the chord progressions are almost perfectly identical! I think Sum 41 is very talented and I wish they would show it through their own writing, not rips of other bands. // 4

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2005

Sound: The sound is just awesome. The second track, No Reason (the first track with vocals), blew me away from the beginning, not only because it begins suddenly with Deryck's screaming after a gloomy, slow into, but because the sound has matured greatly since the last record. Though it is a fast, catchy tune with a pop chorus, it is much more heavier and deeper than the fast tracks on, for example, All Killer No Filler. It's an awesome tune, but it is a little misleading, since there is only one other track on the album that comes close to it in style (Open Your Eyes), in my opinion. The rest of the album is darker and more metalish. Also, one can tell that Sum have improved on their instrument playing. The bass and drums are really awesome. But the guitar on this album is killer. Awesome solos. Overall, excellent sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. They have gotten more sophisticated than that of the last albums. Also, they seem to have very deep messages. You can spend several listens just admiring the lyrics. For example, the lyrics on We're All To Blame have got to be some of the greatest lyrics written by them. They have a great message and they are very persuasive, seeing that they almost got them selves killed in a fight in Congo. // 10

Overall Impression: Both soundwise and lyricwise, this has got to be Sum's greatest album. My favorite song is No Reason. It is my favorite song in the whole world of music. Although I think it would have been better if it had a good guitar intro. Every other song on this album is awesome too. Although I must agree on the fact that The Bitter End is very similar to Metallica's Battery. Other than that, very creative album. I kinda would've liked more tracks like No Reason and Open Your Eyes though. I kinda hope that they will have more fast tracks like these on their next album, but thats just my personal opinion. Also, I think that they should have actually put the Japanese bonus tracks (Noots, Moron, and Subject To Change) on the album. Great songs. I especially enjoyed noots. I would recommend people to download it whatever and listen to it. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2006

Sound: This album is amazing I love it so much. When I first heard we're all to blame (or atleast the 30 second clip on their site) I thought that that song sounded to much like still waiting and it does kind of but it goes deeper with the lighter chorus and its lyrics are really good. It also shows that theyve improved a lot from their first album (Half Hour Of Power) in that it was a little to mainstream pop punk, but at that time they were just coming out and they were young but they've evolved I give this a 10/10 because it's so awsome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics we really good I was hoping to see some more meaningful and lighter songs like some say (which is one of my favourite songs) this is deffinatly a cd you should buy for songs like Intro/No Reason, Angels With Dirty Faces, Some Say, and There's No Solution. I give the lyrics a 10/10 because they're deffintaly the best derycks written so far. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Intro - this is really good. It's a lead up to No Reason and as a really cool sound to it. 02. No Reason - one of my favourite songs on this CD. Cool guitar riffs amazing lyrics. 3. We're All To Blame - parts of it sound to much like Still Waiting (in my opinion) but it's a really good song and has depth to it. 04. Angels With Dirty Faces - cool mello intro to it then gets heavy. The lyrics were pretty good, but I think they could've added a little more they kind of just kept repeating the same things a lot though it is a good song. 05. Some Say - in my opinion the best song on this album. It's really really good. I find the solo maybe a bit to heavy for the song but it fit in good. This song is easy to listen to and easy to like. So if you buy this CD (which you better) you'll like this song. 06. Bitter End - this song has amazing guitar riffs and solos. Though I think Dave might've just had a bunch of different riffs and just threw them together into one song, but they do go well and its a good song. 07. Open Up Your Eyes - good song some pretty good lyrics. But I didn't really like it until I had heard it a few times. 08. Slipping Away - a bit short but it was good. 09. I'm Not The One - this, much like Open Up Your Eyes, I didn't like at first not that I didn't like it at all it just wasnt one of those songs that I'd want to listen to and learn. But after hearing it a few times I started to like it more. 10. Welcome To Hell - the only song I still don't really like. It's an ok song but not my one that I really like. 11. Pieces - yet another amazing song with really good lyrics, the riffs in it are simple but still good. Overall an song to relax to I'd say. 12. There's No Solution - really good song with amazing lyrics. I find in this song the drums stood out more than most of the songs. And it was good drums. I think they should get more songs with drum solos, like 32 Ways To Die, or atleast the drums alone with bass. 13. 88 - a kind of wierd song. Not in a bad way but it goes back in forth from light and mello to heavy and it's a good combonation but you might not like it the first time you hear. The ending is good and has meaning "If we could all depend, on what we know, If you could understand, that I'm losing control" Good song! 14. Moron - I don't listen this one much, it's good I guess but I don't really like it. 15. Noots - it's a good song and I like it the intro songs a little Clash like which is good but The Clash are awsome! 16. Subject To Change - this is another one of my favourite songs on this album its really good, awsome lyrics, nice guitar parts. Overall I really like this song. So thats my review and I would deffinatly recommend buying this album not for like one over played song on MTV but because its a really good CD. I give it a 10/10. Also I don't get why people are saying stuff like "If I lost this album I'd deffinatly go out and buy another copy" well if you like it so much, then don't lose it! Don't loan it to anyone if they want it copy the songs to your computer and burn a cd or tell then to get their own! Really good CD. Buy it if you really like Sum 41. But don't buy it if your some trendy MTV tool, go listen to your Blink 182 or 50 Cent, damn media-whores! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: untitled039, on may 29, 2006

Sound: This is quite a bit heavier than their previous stuff. The tracks 'We're All To Blame' and 'No Reason' are a great example of this masterpiece and also the softer tracks such as 'Pieces' and 'Slipping Away' add more depth to the album, proving they are not some heavy metal band. The final track (apart from the 3 bonus tracks) '88' is a 4:30 long song which has an amazing riff and a strange but excellent ending. The ending makes you feel like you are floating around space and you are never going to get home. The first bonus track 'Noots' is a very good track with a good melody. 'Moron' is a short track which was featured on 'Rock Against Bush Vol. II'. It's quite a heavy track that is similar to other tracks on the album. Finally, 'Subject to Change' sums up the whole album and contains the lyrics from the end of 'No Reason' in one part of the song. Excellent album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are great apart from the fact that all the songs are about pretty much the same thing, like 'faking it' and being to blame! // 8

Overall Impression: This is amazing. This is a lot different to their more well known material (although it does have some similarity to 'does this look infected'). The best songs on the album are 'We're All To Blame', 'No Reason', 'Open Your Eyes', 'There's No Solution' and '88'. There is pretty much nothing to hate on this record and I would buy again no matter how many times I lose it. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 02, 2004

Sound: The sound on this cd is great. I didn't really like there music lately, but this cd is different. Most songs have guitar solos in them, thats right, guitar solos! Most of them sounding pretty metalish too, I think they are getting back into the metal turning away from their punk. With songs like the Bitter End and 88 with nice solos in them, this cd has changed my mind about Sum 41. They also have some slower songs which I really like, Slipping Away and Some Say are fantastic songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd are pretty good. Not every song is about a girl or a relationship which I like. I wasn't concentrating on the lyrics too much though, the guitar riffs and the solos were the things on my mind. There are 15 songs on the cd with the bonus songs, so its worth buying the cd. This is an amazing cd. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impressions on this cd is that its great! I really like the guitar riffs and the solos on the new cd. The lyrics are good, and this cd is just really good compared to their last. This is coming from someone who didn't like Sum 41 before, but now I hear this cd and my mind has changed. This cd is definatly worth buying and it was stolen I would buy another one for sure! Great cd! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2004

Sound: In their last album, "Does This Look Infected" they started to turn into their special "metallic-punk" and I think that was really good. In this album, I really liked how they made the songs more metallic and hard rock rather than the punkish style although it has small parts that show some punk rock. The guitar solos in songs like 'The Bitter End' and '88' are amazing. The guitar parts in the other songs are really good too and sounds really fun to play. I really like the fast pace in most of the songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album seem to be about corruption in the world. To me, the lyrics are really meaningful and understanding. They aren't like the other punk bands where the songs are always about breaking up or falling in love although not all songs like that are bad. Lyrics in 'Some Say' and 'Slipping Away' are really good. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this is the best album Sum 41 has made yet. Those who were looking for punk rock in this album might be disappointed, but I thought it was great. I think the best songs on this album are 'Some Say' and '88' although all of them were amazing. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: stumaster18, on october 11, 2004

Sound: The music is awesome. The guitar riffs are a lot heavier then in their other records. There are a lot of solos, and all of the songs arr just plain awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have greatly improved from their other cds, singing about breaking up with girls and getting dumped. They have found better things to sing about. I just dont like how they scream a lot sometimes. Too Slipknot. It's really not for them. Still sounds good. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably Sum-41's best record yet. The best songs from the album are everything, but the ones that really stand out are No Reason, We're All To Blame and Angels With Dirty Faces. I love everything about this record. There are no complaints from me. If this cd was stolen/lost, I would be mad, cuz I would have to spend anoth $15 gettin a new one. Awesome cd! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: The_Roth_KungFu, on october 13, 2004

Sound: The sound on their new album is just plain incredible, they turned from punk to metallish punk. The best part is that dave brownsound (the guitarist) really showed his talent, there were many awesome riffs in the album and there were almsot a solo in every song. This album is a huge improvement over their old ones. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics completely changed in this, instead of the same old talking about girls and shit that most punk bands like to sing about, Sum 41 mainly sings about the government (Bush) and about real issues in life, their lyrics are way more mature and better than their old ones. Deryk's voice sounds mainly the same, but he screams more now. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is Sum 41's best album and a must buy for anyone who likes punk or metal, like I said before, it's an awesome cd, and it only costs 10 bucks canadian! If I lost this cd, I would definately buy it again. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2004

Sound: This is their best sounding album yet. It sounds a lot more professional than their previous albums and more mature as well. Even though I have been a fan of them since the beginning, this is probably the most enjoyable album that they have created yet. Their previous ones were all too short and sounded pretty well the same, until "Does This Look Infected?" which showed the band was starting to turn into a better direction. This is their best and most impressive effort, and I highly recommend it to everyone. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the songs are more mature and much better and way different from what they used to sing about. Deryck has done a great job writing lyrics for this cd. The choruses are catchy and it all works well together. Though for some songs, I got the impression he seemed to be repeating the same message in other songs. But overall, they're still kick ass lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Best album I've heard from them ever. The songs that I loved the most are No Reason, Angels With Dirty Faces, Open Your Eyes, Pieces and We're All To Blame. I love the way they've started in a new direction for their style of music. They definetly work with it. If some one stole it. I would hunt them down and murder them, and if in the process I accidently scratched the cd or broke it, I would buy a new one for sure. Boosts their record sales anyway. It is definetly worth buying. So don't steal it from me. Like I said, I'll kill you. That is all. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 16, 2004

Sound: This is the greatest sounding album from Sum41. I love the way they incorporate metal along with punk in this album, which is completely diffent from the catchy pop-punk which made them so popular. I think that this album will definatly appeal to the true fans, and any fan of great music. There are also some nice solos by Dave. They really show their talent on here. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics, they talk about real stuff going on, and you can definately tell that the maturity has greatly increased since they first became popular with catchy songs about partying and getting dumped and all that good stuff, now their lyrics are about everything, which is great. Bizzy D is singing better then ever, his skills have increased, and makes everything go together. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall great cd, one that I personally will be listening to for a while. I really enjoy the overall sound of the songs, it is a mix between metal and punk, and it actually works! They really show their playing abilities on all the songs, one that really shows it is The Bitter End (#6). Steve gets his double bass going in this song, and Dave just lets loose with riffs that match that of legendary guitarists. The catchyist song on here is definately We're all to Blame, which is already being played on the radio and places like that. If this album was stolen from me, I would get it right back, and then probably go buy it again, it is that good. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2004

Sound: Well what can I say sheer class. They have matred on this album and even though this album is metallic based, they have a varied collection of songs on here which ahve the potential to be timeless. Every song has some sort of amazing riffing, solo and melodic twist to it. Here Dave shows his guitar brilliance especially with the blsitering solo from the song the bitter end. All I can say is brillaint and buy the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Every song entails some very thoughtful and mesmorising lyrics and they also dpeict very real life situations. Deryck even though screams some more on this cd varies his voice quite alot showing his endless talent as a lyricist and vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: There is nothing I dislike about this album. The lyrics the songs everything isd amazing. Deryck shows his rhythm guitar technique superbly and his ability to sing whereas dave shows is amazing talent on lead guitar with some awesome guitar work. Stevo and Cone show there brilliance in the rhythm section. Every song rocks so hard but the ebst songs are no reason, the bitter end, some say, pieces and we are all to blame but every song rocks! It is by far th best album of this year and if it was stolen I would go out and buy another one so quick this album is masterpiece and extremley radical. Waste no time in purchasing a copy you wont be dissapointed! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: Until_it_sleeps, on october 18, 2004

Sound: The sound is a very good evolution from their past records. These guys are one of the few bands that get better with time. This album allows you to hear an heavier, more aggressive Sum 41, with a lot more melody. The mix of heavy then melodic verses mixed with screamins then melodic singing really makes this a catchy album. I was fairly skeptical until I decided to give it a listen, and I must say I'm glad for checking this out. I'm glad for the solos too. This album reminds me a lot of metallica in the song construction, heavy/melodic/scream/solo/acoustic it's just everywhere, and it's great, it's what in my opinion makes a song worth hearing. // 10

Lyrics: Well, people are talking about their political viewpoints in this album, and not of breaking up and such, but there are still a few tracks dealing with loss in relationships, though they aren't described as drunkened parties, but actually are told from a mature viewpoint. Nothing stands out as amazing, but they blend very well with the riffs and music so no complaints here. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. The only thing I have to say is, there are a few songs, especially "The Bitter End" that sound like Metallica. "The Bitter End" sounds much like "Battery" by Metallica, and I found myself being annoyed by that, the singing and riffs/solos sound too alike to it. But for the most part, these songs are new ground, a lot of melody over some pretty heavy riffs. I liked it, I recommend it to anyone, even you if you don't like their previous albums. So damn catchy. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2004

Sound: My attention was brought to this CD because me and it share the same name, and Sum 41 has been one of my favourite bands because they were the first rock band I ever saw live. This CD is following the same route as Does this Look Infected, with mixing hard rock riffs with punk style. The songs on this CD are original, except for the song "Some Say" I thought it sounded significantly like "Handle This" from "All Killer No Filler" But other wise this CD has great orignial sound and awesome gutair solos. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are good but not great, Some songs like "We're All To Blame" have meaning and tell a story while other songs seem to be random rhyming words stuck together. I would have liked to hear a song where Dave, Deryek, Cone and Stevo all sing together and just have fun like "Fat Lip" but the CD is still good anyway. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say that this is their best overall CD. I'm not sure if "Chuck" will produce any major hits in the music industry because it seems to hard-rock for the mainstream world but for me, it made me feel right at home. This CD in an entire perspective blows all others out of the water. And to all people who first listen to this CD and aren't impressed give it a second chance it really begins to grow on ya. // 8

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 25, 2004

Sound: I'd like to say that if you haven't liked Sum 41 in the past, you should listen to them now. This is by far their best album to date. They have much more "metal" sound. I have a friend who used to listen only to classic rock, but when made listen this, he couldn't listening to them. All I can is this album rocks! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are awsome. The band has been writing about a lot more important subjects, rather than hanging out with friends and sleeping in late. The focus a lot on blaming for the problems in the world, which is probably due to the band's resent trip to the Congo. Deryck's vocals have improved since their last album, and his voice goes well with the lyrics and music. // 10

Overall Impression: I had this album since the day it came out and it hasn't left my CD player. The best songs, in my opinion, are Angels With Dirty Faces, No Reason, Pieces (some has got to tab that one), and 88. Those are just the best, but all the other songs rock too. I don't like Slipping Away that much, but that's only because the other songs are so awesome they oveshodow it. If it were lost or stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. I'd have to say it's one the best albums this year. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: Uncommonresults, on october 26, 2004

Sound: I like the sound of this album. Some songs did sound the same, loud and full of rage. Others were soft and well still full of rage. Some of them were softer and didn't have much rage. On Slipping Away it sounds really awesome, because on the intro it sounds like he's singing through a phone. // 10

Lyrics: Sum 41 came back from a break and came through with this new awesome album! They weren't all obsessed with hell and dying and the stuff they were obsessed with on their other albums. It's like they've grown up right before our very eyes. No seriously since they had that death scare they came back and on this cd there was only one swear word. I talked to my friend about it and he was shocked. "This is the Sum 41 that wrote ANIC?" But now they came back more mature and this album was excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was much better in my opinion than their other albums, Does This Look Infected, and All Killer No Filler. They also came back just totally improved. The best songs from the album would be Intro (but you have to listen to No Reason right after that), No Reason, We're All To Blame, Angels With Dirty Faces, Some Say, Slipping Away, and 88. Actually all of the songs are good, those are just the ones that I remeber the names too. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: Pick Ferret, on november 01, 2004

Sound: First of all, I'd like to say one thing before starting. Do not come expecting All Killer No Filler. You will be very disappointed. Think more like The Offspring, or Bad Religion. Still a bit softer than those bands, but closer to that. This is not nessisarily a bad thing. Personally, I like it much better than some of All Killer No Filler's bubbly slap happy c--p. Guitarist Dave still gives some nice rhythms and crazy solos. Overall, I'd give it a solid 4. // 8

Lyrics: Ok, this record, lyric wise is pretty creative. Well, sort of. It has a strong Anti-Bush Sentiment on some of the songs. I, personally, don't enjoy this. I am a strong conservative and I'm not afraid to admit that. But I'll look beyong that and just judge it music wise. I think that the whole liberal bias is kind of derivative, mainly because every single frickin artist is a leftist these days. It really is a copy cat, derivative, weak minded stand point for a record, especially when this is your focus on the disc. I would give it a lower score, but to be fair, Sum was pretty creative with the lyrics, even though the subject was weak and cliche. // 6

Overall Impression: I like this album overall. It's a well done foray into a new sound for the band. And trust me, it's a welcome change. In comparison to other records, like Bad Religion, The Empire Strikes First, or The Offspring, Splinter, it just doesn't hold it's own. Some songs, like Intro/No Reason and Some Say are moments of genius. However, the album is kind of front loaded, seeing as most of the songs after 7 are pure, unadulterated filler (aside from Pieces, which is just ok, despite all the hype) I don't know, you might love the cd, you might hate it. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy a new copy, seeing as it's all copied to my computer so I could just burn a new one. With all that, I give it a 3. It would be a 3. 5 if I could put one for this nice record which just might pull Sum out of the crap-ridden genre known as pop-punk. // 6

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: This album packs explosive power! Dave really was able to steal the show in this album with his awesome metal riffs and solos, most prominently noticable in songs like "The Bitter End" and "88". Futhermore, the metal stuff, really works well for Stevo. The drums were jam packed with power throughout the entire album, and adds an extra edge to already heavy metal-punk. The speed of the riffs and the drums in the album really make your heart race, and you find yourself pummeled by powerful and catchy tunes. A few songs on the last half of the album we're kind of mid toned and slow, but thanks to Whibley, the vocals punched through and made the songs worth listening to. // 10

Lyrics: The singing of Deryck Whibley and the rest of the band is absolutely perfect. The band manages to run from harmonic voicals to lazy raspy vocals, to screaming vocals, while still flowing seamlessly with the guitars. Songs like "Pieces" and "Welcome To Hell" show off the lyrical genuis of Deryck. "Pieces" (which is one of my favorite Sum 41 songs) has genius lyrics that relate to every teenager there ever was. The only complaint I have about the lyrics were that they were somewhat repetitive. I esspecially noticed this while listening to "We're All To Blame" I found the chorus much over used (esspecially after the fast screaming part). Yet Whibley maganged to wow me again by changing the verse of the final chorus and turning into a somber, and welcomed accoustic finalle. One other thing that bugged me was that in the screaming part of "I'm Not The One" they stole the lyrics from the Linkin Park song. Either way, Whibleys guiness lyrics bring out the unique part of Sum 41 in this punk-metal genra. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is extremely solid with the heavy guitars, and drums, not giving you a second to breathe. Finally Sum 41 will get some long deserved appriciation for their musical talent (both song writing, and playing). It moves away from the made to sell rock, and displays a long needed change in rock music, with harder guitar riffs, and melodic (but not whiney) vocals. If you are a Sum 41 fan looking for the catchy tracks of Does This Look Infected or All Killer No Filler, this album will surprize, but not dissapoint. Songs like "Some Say" and "Open Your Eyes" will probably remind you of the old Sum 41 style (both are great songs, although not really new). Although the new albums heavier riffs and more complex timing structure and lyrics make it a little less catchy at first, once your hooked, you'll find this cd hard to take out of your cd player. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: I'm going to start off saying that I was a big sum fan before this album. I like the punk sound from their earlier cds (although many people don't). With that in mind it's still nice to see these guys growing up. There are some really amazing songs with some insane guitar solos (always welcome). These guys don't have to deal with people saying that all their stuff sounds the same anymore. Although a couple songs have nearly identical riffs but most of the songs are nothing alike. This cd is nothing like any other they have made. I really like most of the songs on this album especially Some Say. I really like the lighter stuff. The metal influences in this album are probably appreciated by many but I miss Fat Lip! This cd would probably get a 5 if I wasn't such an old Sum 41 fan. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually pretty amazing. Talking about political issues although you may not have noticed has been done alot in their albums. "So am I still waiting for this world to stop hating." Deryck is a pretty good singer guy but I would give them a 6 (if I could) if he just stopped screaming! // 10

Overall Impression: This is not Sum 41's best album! It's prtty darn good though. I would really give this a 4.5. Best songs include: No Reason, Some Say, and Slipping Away although many of the songs on this album are incredible. I would love this album even more if I wasn't expecting Sum 41's normally great punk sounds. O well I guess I will have to get used to it (not that it will take much trying to). This CD is definately worth buying again if I was stolen or lost. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2004

Sound: Sum 41 has transformed itself to punk to heavy rock on their lastest album. It is totally different from them. But really reminds me of their last album is not Sum 41 rather it is bands like Metallica or Iron Maiden and these guys are simply doing a cover. Most of the songs in the album I find a similiarity between Linkin Park, Offspring, System Of A Down just to name a few. I figure that maybe they got their tunes from other band songs? Just like their previous album, Does This Look Infected? listen to Nickelback's How You Remind Me (which they perform a cover during new year eve on MTV) and Sum 41 Still Waiting, Hell Song, Over My head. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite norm, though reflecting on the life issues thats are currently happening in the world. Total change from their previous album. Some of the lyrics dont fit into the tune. // 6

Overall Impression: Great guitar riffs and drum solo do not make an album good. You need to really listen to its tune of these songs to really make a good judgement. Now matter how many times I listen to the album, the song tunes do not get stuck in my head, compare to their previous album which they did a better job. This album isnt that impressive, although some songs like We're All To Blame and 88 sounds better. // 4

Chuck Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 21, 2004

Sound: This album took a little while to grow on me but now I can hardly get it out of my CD player because I like it so much. Sum 41 have flirted with the idea of going metal on both their All Killer Not Filler and Does This Look Infected albums and finally the have gone all out. The end product is a very well polished and great sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what first drew me to the album when I first heard it on MTV's The Leak. The lyrics are definitely at their strongest compared to their other albums they also compliment the music wonderfully and show that Derek Wibley (Sum 41's lead singer) has great talent for what he does. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably Sum 41's best record mainly for that fact the all they songs are interesting in their own way. I believe the most impressive songs on the album are; "We're All To Blame", "88" and "Slipping Away". My only problem with the album is that when I first bought it I could help but notice how some of the songs sounded like other bands songs (i. e. We're All To Blame & System Of A Down's Chop Suey & The Bitter End And Metallica's Battery) but I have began to not care because the still sound great anyway. If this CD were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another copy because I think it is a really good CD and Sum 41's best to date. // 8

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Sound: Sum 41's Chuck has proven to have great sound; the drums (especially the snare) have been turned down a little since their previous album which I think is a positive thing, but for others maybe not. The guitars are loud! Only comment on the guitar sound is that most times it is hard to figure out which notes Deryck or Dave are playing, maybe done purposely? The bass: great deception, the bass is totally forgotten in this album, it is undistinguishable from all the other instruments. Another negative point is the vocals: they have been turned up so much; although they don't exactly overlap the guitars, yes we know you want us to hear you Deryck! // 8

Lyrics: Sum 41's negative/problem/depression/giving up type lyrics really show us their uniqueness although they tend to repeat themselves. Deryck has proven to be a skilful singer, changing from pop-melodies to metal-screaming. Cone and Dave, as seen in the "We're All To Blame" music video, are now joining up as backing vocals, adding very well fitting harmony singing to songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Chuck is by far Sum41's best album; although I heard it isn't selling that well. "I'm Not The One" would be my favourite and most impressed by song, followed by "The Bitter End" and "Some Say"; opposed to many peoples high impression to "We're All To Blame." What I love about this album is the change of style from pop to metal. What I don't like about this album is that there's been some "borrowing" going on: "Some Say" is clearly been copied of "Handle This" from their own previous album and a few riffs in various songs totally remind me of Metallica, like the second intro in "The Bitter End" is obviously a replica of "St. Anger." If this album were lost I would buy it certainly buy it again. // 8

Chuck Reviewed by: Nitro_Blaze, on february 05, 2005

Sound: Sum 41's latest album, Chuck, is by far, the greatest Sum 41 Album ever written. I love the new turn they've taken with their music. I mean I knew it was good at first, seeing as I had to force my mom to buy it for me the first day it came out, (which was, lucky for me, the same date that they had some big sale at Wal-Mart, and everything was, like 25% off, so I got it for about $9.87 Canadian) but I never thought that I'd hear something this awesome. It almost makes their older CDs look like Backstreet Boys CDs (well, Does This Look Infected still rocks, too). The sound is amazing. It's a nice change from the high speed pop-punk sound of the older Sum 41 albums. Yes, most of the songs are fast paced, but it does have some slower songs that calm the CD down a bit. Does this mean that the band has calmed down as well? Nah! Just check out one of the concerts in their "Go Chuck Yourself" Tour, and see for yourself! "Intro", which is actually a part of the song "No Reason", is a really good introduction to the song. It starts off calm, but then when it goes into "No Reason," you really get a nice preview of the kind of things you can expect from the rest of the CD. "Were All To Blame" Is a nice little tune that combines a few different rhythms. "88" is also an example of the "multi-rhythm" tracks of this CD "Open Your Eyes" is, much like "No Reason," A perfect example of what to expect in this CD, along with "I'm Not the One." Plus, if you were lucky enough to find the extended edition, you got the Bonus Tracks "Moron," "Noots," and "Subject To Change." All three of them were awesome Tracks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were awesome. They had more of a darker feeling to them than the rest of their Songs, much like lyrics from "Linkin Park," and "Good Charlotte" (I'm referring to the lyrics of their "Chronicles Of Life And Death" album). Most people think that the darker lyrics are really getting on their nerves. How they don't want to hear about how bad their lives are, and "We don't give a s--t." But I, for one, prefer the darker lyrics of today. It really makes me think about what we're doing to the world. And yes, Sum 41's right, "We're All To Blame" for the state of the world today. (Yes, in case you didn't know, we are going to the shits. Technology rises, while the rest of the world falls). // 10

Overall Impression: Does this album compare to other artists? Well, yes and no. Both "Angels With Dirty Faces," and "There's No Solution" have a bit of a "Linkin Park" feel to them, while songs like "No Reason," "Noots," and "I'm Not The One" have more of an original feel to them. The best songs have to be Noots, No Reason, Angels With Dirty Faces, I'm Not The One, Open Your Eyes, Subject To Change. If it were stolen or lost, there's no possible way I wouldn't buy this CD again! It's worth buying twice! Without a doubt the greatest Sum 41 album I've heard. I hope we can expect something as great as this for their next album. Sum 41, I salute you. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: problinkguitar9, on may 19, 2005

Sound: The sound in this album is awesome. I love how the vocals are turned up in this album so we can hear derek sing soft like in "Slipping Away" or that great sound of him screaming in a weird way like in "No Reason." All the songs sound great and can capture you in the moment for a while. I love how they were always adding riffs that sound perfect with each other and the drums are great. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics in this album are fricking amazing. I swear I can relate to Derek sometimes and has definantly influenced me into getting the best lyrics out of myself and my band. His lyrics are darker and his singing is perfect. It all flows togather to make a great metal album, well almost metal. I also like the song "Welcome To Hell." It's got a kinda Romones feel to it and a little Green Day. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is by far there best album to date (with Does This Look Infected in second). The guitars are the best I have heard out of Dave espcially in "The Bitter End." I also think the bass is perfect. This band has been with me sinse the beggining and they never cease to amaze. The only probelm with it is that there arent enough songs on it to please me! I wish it was like a 20 song album but it's perfect the way it is. If I lost it I wouldnt waste my money buying it again because its downloaded on my computer but if I didn't have it I would deffinantly fork up 15 bucks for this album. If you haven't boughten it yet go out and buy it right now. I'm not kidding right now. Get off your lazy asses and buy there album (I saw them in concert at Sunfest and they rocked). // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Sound: This has been their best CD yet. I think it shows the true side of Sum 41, which isn't just all punk rock and goofy. Songs like Pieces give greater meaning to life. Sum 41 has not let me down on this and I hope they can make another CD that is even better. // 10

Lyrics: Awesome lyrics throughout this CD! I like the way Deryck can go from screaming in All To Blame and I'm Not The One to singing softly in Pieces and Slipping Away. These lyrics have a deeper meaning and show Sum 41's true soul. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is by far the best of their collection. You have their first CD which introduces them into the punk world, but Does This Look Infected? showed the true meaning of punk. They kept an upbeat tempo in All Killer No Filler. But none of these compares to how well Chuck is. All To Blame and Pieces are by far the best of the album, in my perspective. I loved everything on it and hated nothing. If I were to lose this CD, there would be no doubt in my mind that I would buy it again even if it is on my computer. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Sound: I found the sound in this album just a little below Sum's standard. I was listening to "Some Say" throught my CD player, and it sounded as though the album was composed in a metal garage. This same problem happened when I listened to it through my computer. I'm not impressed. // 6

Lyrics: The band's lyric-writing skills have improved greatly. Not only was I impressed by the way the songs where written, but also by the way they where put together. I admired the way Sum 41 took a turn from a full metal CD by adding songs such as "Peices" & "Some Say" to the album. // 8

Overall Impression: This album compares to many albums from the 99-cent bin! This was by far their worst album to date. My advice: Go back to the garage, Sum 41 and don't come out until you can impress the living hell outa me. // 4

Chuck Reviewed by: punkman_123, on may 30, 2005

Sound: Chuck is definately a step up from Does This Look Infected, but I doubt it will keep their usual fan base happy. It is heavier than it's prequel, but also a lot better in my opinion. I didn't think it was possible to get any better when I heard Does This Look Infected but they proved me wrong. Every song on the album just felt right. All the instruments blended together nicely (if you can put it that way) and made an overall awesome album. // 10

Lyrics: Sum 41 may have left behind their poppy fans, but they haven't changed their poppy lyrics. This is the biggest let down for Chuck, because the lyrics seem to rushed. I'd like to see Sum 41 get into some more serious themes, because lyrics are the centrepoint of music. The singer's voice couldn't be better for the band and genre of music. Like everything else, it fits right in. // 6

Overall Impression: In the genre (pop punk-rock), Sum 41 out-does every other band. I'm talking about Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and every other sissy-band out there. I think Sum 41 are quickly leaving their pop-based genre and entering into real punk which is a good move. They never seemed to fit in with the rest of the pop culture. I love most things about it. I dislike the use of lyrics. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy it again for sure. It's a must-have. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 31, 2005

Sound: Well, what can I say, an absoutley flawless album. Even though people have described this album as a transformation into metal, I for one disagree and would call it a experimental record. Yes, more metal influences are on there, most noticeably on the song, "The Bitter End," but I think its more experimental, from the thrashy, "We're All To Blame," to the acoustic strumming of, "Slipping Away," to the emotional and atmospheric, "Pieces." The sound is pretty faultless and the guitar proficency is really evident. What I like about this album is the multi rhythm tracks like, "88," Another thing about this album you will enjoy is its diversity and also the crazy solo in the bitter end. All I can say is superb. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent. Sum 41 have completley transformed their lyric approach and every song has some really deep and thoughtful lyrics. The best lyrics in my opinion are in pieces, lyrics straight from the heart and are quite literally superb. Also, the lyrics tend to fit in perfectly with the melodies, making a brilliant flowing record. On Chuck, Dereck Whibley was able to display amazing vocalist skills by offering us a wide range of vocals, from screaming, to soft singing, to high to very melodic singing, showing his superb talent as a vocalist. Also, another good thing to point is how Deryck has easily transformed from the previosu sum 41 attempts. The lyrics are fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a breath of fresh air. Superb musician skills, fantastic rhythms, different vocal skills, multi-genred songs all add to a superb accomplished record. It easily compares to most artists of today and even some of the past generation. Every single song on this album is brilliant but I believe the most impressive songs are, the bitter end were all to blame, no reason, I'm not the one, pieces and 88 but they are all radical. I love literally everything about this album theres not one fault I can pick with it, and if it was stolen or lost I would definetly go out and buy a new copy. It puts music in a different context. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2005

Sound: I bought this album hoping that it would have the same sound that I fell in love with when I listened to "All Killer No Filler" and "Does This Look Infected?" I was very dissapointed. Sum 41 has completely changed from being a cool punk band to some sucky metal band. We're All To Blame is ok but the end flat out blows. I did like the Bitter End but I absolutely hated Slipping Away. Pieces wasn't too terrible. My advice: stick with their old stuff. Although I must admit this CD had some kickass solos. // 4

Lyrics: I hate to keep bringing up older albums, but it seems like these guys just ran out of ideas for lyrics. I loved it when Deryck sang about not caring about anything and stuff like that, but now none of the songs are upbeat. They're all depressing and pissed off. Slipping Away is their worst song by far. // 6

Overall Impression: I hate it when bands grow up and suddenly change. Sum 41 is no exception. This album can't compare to their other three. The Bitter End, Pieces, 88, and Some Say are the only good songs on this album. There were a few solos that were rather impressive but if someone stole this CD I would find out who it was, grab them by the arm, and say "keep it." // 6

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2005

Sound: Everyone that thinks this album sucks 'cause it's to heavy for them are real idiots. They're too addicted to Simple Plan s--t. To me, this album is Sum 41's best by far. They have really great songs with killer guitar solos like in The Bitter End. They have switched from "Blink 182-ish" punk to punk-with-metal. Deryck has a great voice. Cone and Dave do an amazing job of adding background singing too like in Noots or 88. // 10

Lyrics: I love what Sum 41 has to say in their songs. They use some key words that you know only Sum 41 would repeat, like "It takes away a part of me." Or that long bridge part "So how long has this gone." // 10

Overall Impression: Best album to me. In most albums I purchase or download there are only a few songs I like. But in this one, I'm listening to every song aside from Slipping Away, what an emo song. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Sound: I felt overall the sound of this album was great. Dave's guitar work was great, with creative riffs, minus The Bitter End, which was to me just a cover of Metallica's Battery (take a listen and compare). They very much matured in the guitar area, and have made a noticable change from punk/pop to a more punk/metal sound. Also note that on 1 or 2 tracks, there is a Linkin Park-ish sound to them (example - I'm Not The One). // 10

Lyrics: Overall these lyrics were very well written and creative. They were very deep, and left a huge impact on me. Much more mature lyrics from the previous 3 efforts. Stand out songs that are excellen lyrically are No Reason, 88, There's No Solution, and Pieces, just to name a few. // 10

Overall Impression: This ablum is undoubtly one of the best albums by Sum 41, it's strong, fast, fun, and great to listen too. I felt that all the songs were impressive, but my stand out were No Reason, We're All To Blame, Angel's With Dirty Faces, Some Say, Open Your Eyes, The Bitter End (the Metallica coverish song), I'm Not The One, and 88. I felt that Brownsound completed tore it up with the solo's, and basiclally everyone was just on top of there's best in this album. I absolutely loved it and definately would kill the person who stole it. Get this ablum, cause it's a definate winner, and be sure to pick up the last 3 albums, cause they are all on the same calibur of greatness. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: brandoni16, on august 02, 2005

Sound: Sum 41 has a more angry tone with the awsome guitar solos. Each song has something different. The acustic melody songs like "slipping Away" and "Some Say." The yelling hard songs like "Bitter End" and "Welcome To Hell." And just about everyting in between. From electric solos from "88," to smooth chords from "Peices." It's got it all. // 8

Lyrics: The new album has songs about whats wrong. Songs such as "We're All To Blame" really speack the truth. The lyrics really match the guitars and such really well. The ryming is superb, with a fast pace to many songs. It's not one of those bands where you just hear loud guitor chords with high-pitched screaming. These guys are some great song writers. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is really great, you got to hear it. If you haven't already, your missing out. I highly suggest buying this album, it's worth every single penny. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2005

Sound: Chuck, the new album from Sum 41 is, in my opinion, the best so far released Sum 41 album. I bought the album as recommended by a friend who also believed in its greatness. I believe the band have changed so much since the days of All Killer, No Filler, and the album is a representation of their change in musical style. Their new range of punk/metal is some of the best music they have so far wrote. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics brought the album down slightly, as they get kind of repetitive. The main theme of the lyrics is the kind of, 'We're Going Down', 'I'm Slipping Away' type of lyrics that are common in some of those type of songs. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the album is this: Chuck is a revolutionary new punk metal album that is a must-have for Sum 41 fans and those who would like to get into the band. It's overall new style is what made me give the album such a high rating. Pieces is the number 1 song on the album. It's powerfully moving and is the highlight of the allbum. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: halfstepdown88, on october 31, 2005

Sound: Amazing sound. If you don't like Sum 41, and haven't heard Chuck, go borrow it or something! Seriously. I'm a huge fan of Sum 41, but I have to admit I dislike their Blink 182 sound in Half Hour Of Power and All Killer No Filler. Although you can definitely tell they have had some Metallica influence, their sound is unique to me. This is one of the very few albums, that I could listen to the whole CD through 5 times. A lot of bands have 2 good songs and the rest suck on their album. Not the same with Sum 41. // 10

Lyrics: Deryck Definitely has improved his singing ability. I love the lyrics. The words are amazing, yet you have to think about them to get what they are saying. We're All to Blame shows Deryck's ability to both scream, and sing softly. Sum 41, good job with this album! // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album. They dedicated it to Chuck because that is a guy who saved all their lives out in the Congo. If this was stolen, I would definitely find the person who stole it, beat him up, and then become friends because he has a good taste in music. Seriously at least borrow this album and test it out. You don't know Sum 41 until you have heard this album. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: Palmmutted, on october 31, 2005

Sound: First of all I would like to say that I've been a big fan of Sum 41 it's been a long time now, and I have to say that the sound on this CD is awsome! This CD have more mature song content, then their past 3 CDs. Not only does it sound mature but more of a heavy metal feal to it. Songs are very nicely written. // 10

Lyrics: In this cd they went all out, from some soft rock (ex: Pieces) to some more heavy style (ex: Welcome To Hell). Like I sayed before lyrics are more mature. The sound of the music really sounded like the same sorte of energie and agressiveness that Metallica uses. Overall great lyrics! // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this album has a better feel of the energy they have in live concerts. My favorite song that I listened the most on this CD has to be "Welcome To Hell," very fast and heavy paste song. Overall I loved this cd alot I can't find any reason why no one shoudn't buy it. If this CD were stolen I would definitly go and buy it again! I give this CD a perfect 10! // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: fox69, on november 02, 2005

Sound: Sum 41 has been a good band since they first came out and chuck doesn't disappooint. The guitars are better than there other albums in skill and I belive Cone's bass stand out a lot better. Stevo's drumming was awsome as usual. A very good punk rock sound. // 10

Lyrics: Deryk's lyrics had a lot more meaning in this CD with a lot of more concern for the issues in the world. His singing is very good and the backing vocals were quite good in this album as well. A very good mix of lyrics and talent. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the bands best album thus far and I was very impressed by how much there musics matured. Some really good songs are "Pieces," "There's No Solution," "88," "Open Your Eyes," "No Reason" and "We're All To Blame." Not many bad filler songs in this CD and I look forward to there futre work. If you lose it, buy it again. // 9

Chuck Reviewed by: *'-'*, on november 07, 2005

Sound: I'll start with the naming of the album. You probably all know this buy know but Sum 41 named this album after a guy called Chuck who they credit for saving their lives when violence broke out in the Republic of Congo. Good on you Chuck! The content of this CD is amazing. It has a variety of songs with styles ranging from soft rock (Some Say) to metal and hardcore (The Bitter End, 88). Filled with seering thrash riffs and rocking solos, this album could be enough to pull Sum 41 out of that bottomless pit we call pop-punk. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very well written, and are definately a cut above the lyrics of other bands people attempt to compare them to. Deryck's vocal talent has definately not floundered since Does This Look Infected? and this album sees him sing softly, normally and scream until he reptures blood cells. The lyrics comply beautifully with the lyrics, especially when they are being sung over some thrash riffery. // 10

Overall Impression: This is equally as good as Does This Look Infected and a cut above their first two albums. In comparison to bands like Simple Plan, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance and Green Day, Sum 41 wins hands and feet down. They are alot better than most metal bands you see around today aswell. The best songs are all of them, but standouts are No Reason, The Bitter End, Angels With Dirty Faces and 88. If this CD was lost I'd wonder where my stereo went, and if it was stolen I would buy it again. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: SystemLz4life, on january 16, 2006

Sound: I got this album a while back, now I want to review it. The music is way more mature in this album than previous albums, there are a lot more slow songs. The intro on Chuck rocks because it leads right into No Reason, which starts with a bang. The Sum 41 crew decided to name this album Chuck because a man named Chuck pretty much saved their lives when they were in the republic of congo. There are still very good punk metal guitar riffs in the CD. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the CD seem to mean something now, which is sort of new for Sum 41. Deryk is a great singer/guitarist. Great vocals on Pieces and We're All To Blame. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression to Chuck is great. It is a new sound for Sum 41. Some people may not like that because they think that they sold out but they can screw themselves because all that happened was that Sum 41 grew up. The most impressive songs on the CD are as follows: Pieces, No Reason, We're All To Blame, and the last song on the CD (I forgot what it's called). // 9

Chuck Reviewed by: genresrforposer, on march 16, 2006

Sound: The album was named "Chuck" because of a UN volunteer named Chuck Pelletier who saved their lives and the lives of 40 other people by evacuating them to safety while they were filming a documentary for War Child Canada in The Republic of Congo and got caught in the crossfire of some of the people in this war-torn country. It definitely had an impact on their music since for once they actually give a damn about society. This newfound caring about something has also made their music heavier and more emotional. 01. Intro - eh, gives wat it promises: some nice little guitar parts that set the mood of society falling down. Couldn't really hold its own as a song like "Soldier Side Intro" by System Of A Down could though. 02. No Reason - a surprisingly effective and uplifting call-to-arms type song. The song that really sold the album to me. 03. We're All To Blame - the first radio single was much less poppy than what you'd expect from sum 41. Wonderfully anti-authority (w/a reason to be anti-authority this time). 04. Angels With Dirty Faces - the heaviness of this song is just great, a very effectively emotional song abt depression and vietnam vet flashbacks (at least that's what it sounds like to me). Sometimes can be a little too negative to listen to though. 05. Some Say - a slower but still electric and uplifting song. 06. The Bitter End - oddly enough, straight up thrash metal. Maybe not that odd. After all, Sum 41 have always been known as '80s metal fans, even having at least 3 hair-metal songs w/their alter-ego band "Pain For Pleasure." I love the solos and it's sweet but very short. 07. Open Your Eyes - "This may be one of those songs I only like because I can relate to the lyrics so much" I thought, but I like the sound as well. 08. Slipping Away - it's not nearly bad as emo but still boring and a little too depressed. The ending has some nice little violin (maybe cello, I'm not a classical instruments expert) parts though. 09. I'm Not The One - I like the song a lot, especially the bridge guitars. Sounds a little too much like Linkin Park though. 10. Welcome To Hell - I like it sometimes, but I skip over it a lot too. Pretty good speedy punk song though. 11. Pieces - emotional without sounding gay. 12. There's No Solution - good heavy song. 13. 88 - mostly a really good song. But the ending? // 9

Lyrics: 01. Intro - no lyrics. 02. No Reason - asks and insinuates constructively that we must question our government without sounding like immature high school rebellion (unlike previous albums). 03. We're All To Blame - more newfound maturity as Sum 41 look at America as a united country that has made some wrong decisions of late. 04. Angels With Dirty Faces - I think this is about Vietnam Veteran flashbacks and possibly depression, but either way it's a good song to relieve your agression to. 05. Some Say - I don't exactly know who this song is speaking to, but Deryck (lead singer/rythym guitar) is telling them he can handle things on his own adding what is likely a sarcastic "It's so easy after all." 06. The Bitter End - this song's lyrics are all about the title, and have no real significance pertaining to real life problems. 07. Open Your Eyes - this is about two people who have changed for the worse because losing each other's love has caused them to be bitter and closer to evil. Deryck seems as though he's trying to remind them both they had souls and morality when they were together and they can get that back. 08. Slipping Away - someone "Slipping away in every way." Probably relatable to many people in this depressed country. 09. I'm Not The One - a message to an old friend that tells them they dissent with them joining the military as they do not want to be associated with someone who agrees with such violence. 10. Welcome To Hell - as track 6 welcomes listeners to the bitter end, so this track welcomes them to hell. Neither is very insightful, these welcomes are pretty much as deep as they go. 11. Pieces - realizing that trying to be perfect isn't worth all it entails. 12. There's No Solution - feeling trapped behind the metaphorical bars of society and authority (the sense much of Johnny Cash's music conveyed though the two are entirely different atmospherically) and asking but never quite recieving a truthful or reasonable answer to why one is subject to this. 13. 88 - trying to hold postitiveness in oneself and not holding a grudge against an old but ended love. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is basically a nu-metal album, with some good surprises like thrash metal (Bitter End) and experimentation with softer melodies (Pieces). "No Reason," "We're All To Blame," "Some Say" and "I'm Not the One" all highlight the album's maturity and ability to examine the self as well as society. It experiments just enough yet holds its own sound. Obviously that combination is what many albums strive for, and "Chuck" pulls it off quite well. If it was stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. // 9

Chuck Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 28, 2006

Sound: I was at first a bit suspicious of this record, at first I thought it was just another Pop-Punk record that would go Triple Platinium in about 5 minutes. But after closer inspection I realised it is something alot better than that. The riffing, for example is exemplary for any young guitarists starting on the road of rock and roll. Some of the solo's are quite frankly remarkable. Also the drumming is also something to be marvelled at. This is a band maturing very quickly and this could be the first step. // 10

Lyrics: Having to appeal to the masses, this record's lyrics should be a lot about getting dumped and jokes about farting. But this album once again goes deeper, further and more real than it's rivals. The Bitter End and Subject To Change for example are both simple but incredibaly effective lyrics that both catch on quickly but also have the ability the make the listener think. The singer also does a fairly good job in the mix of softer songs, the moderatly loud songs and the louder, edgier songs. Its not the best lyrics ever heard but not the worst either. Subject to Change is actually quite lazy because part of the song is nicked from No Reason. // 9

Overall Impression: This album begins with a nice cool Intro section that actually fits onto the beginning of most of the songs on the album. The best tracks are No Reason, Bitter End, I'm Not the One, 88 and Subject To Change. I Love the fact a band that are currently successful in the charts are able to right such brilliant songs that will not neccesarily appeal to the masses. But I hate songs like Noots and Open Your eyes, which to me is just simple pop-punk, involving any brains at all. I did not buy this album, I lent it off a mate, I want to steal this album and have for myself, because it is a great punk rock album, better than "American Idiot" and Blink 182's self titled album, it might just be this genres best album since "Dookie" or "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket." // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2006

Sound: It was appearent on Does This Look Infected? that the band was making some style changes, and maturing. On this album they've not only completed that chagne, but changed into something better than I could ever have imagined. They've progressed the sound further into metal realms, with almost no hint of their previous style on here (almost). The guitar solos and riffs are schorching, the drumming is thrashing, the bass is percise, the lyrics speak to you, everything ia ten times better than before. This is also their most dynamic album yet, with the heavies being the heaviest they've ever done, the softs being the softest they've ever done, the fasts being the fastest, and the slows being the slowest. The songs flow better then on previous albums, and for once the album actually flows! // 10

Lyrics: Just as the sound has matured so has the lyrics. The lyrics are similar to those found on songs such as Still Waiting, The Hell Song, and Mr. Amsterdam, but even more mature and meaningful. The band has also crossed into new grounds such as the sad state of society in general (Angels With Dirty Faces), close-mindedness (Open Your Eyes), how everyone has a part in what's wrong with society and how everyone can change it (the aproprietly named We're All To Blame), and ultimately fate (The Bitter End, 88). Lyrics are more meaning and better written, but I was kinda dissappointed in the overwhelming negativity of the album. Pretty much the only positive tracks on here are No Reason and 88. Had they tossed in less 'everything sucks', and more 'everything sucks, but we can change it' this would be a better album. Ah well they open with a happy and end with one so ok. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Intro - as soon as the heavy delay, arabian style dual guitars and synth come in you know the band has matured. It sounds foreign, mysterious, and yet somehow uplifting. It's a perfect start to the album, and morphs perfectly into the first real song. 02. No Reason - picking up right where the intro left off this song erupts in blasting screaming, scorching metal guitar riffs, and a drum solo thing. This was quite a shock after the calming intro, but it's the effect they wanted, and it hit home perfectly. After the highly emotional screaming for a few seconds the sound randomly shifts into anthemetic punk complete with a cathcy guitar riff, tribal drum beat, and back-up vocal Hey!'s. The verse is palm-muted guitar and bass, with almost whispered vocals, and the chorus is a pop-punk sing-along anthem of sheer catchy genius. Just when the song seems to loose it's engery they repeat the awesome second half of the intro, and flow it into a final chorus with not one not two but FOUR vocal melodies, two Deryck singing, one Cone singing, and one Deryck screaming. This may sound like a jumbled peice of crap to some people, but I think's it's beautifully crafted. The lyrics are great and the high-energy of the song gets them across. The only downside is it seems very similar to Still Waiting, just the opposite dynamic pattern, interesting. 03. We're All To Blame - the first single off the album, and for a reason. Even my friend who absolutely despises Sum 41 said this song was "beautifully written". The the intro takes off at a hundred miles an hour with hardcore back-up vocal screaming, an palm muted metal riffs and bass drum. The verse is even faster with tremelo picking guitar riff, Deryck singing a super-catchy melody through some sort of muffling mic effect with hardcore backup very now and then. The chorus is soft clean guitar with a beautiful melody. The bridge is the heaviest part of the song, but immediatley after it dies down into a calming outro. 04. Angels With Dirty Faces - starts off almost exactly how We're All To Blame ended with clean guitar, no drums or bass, and whispered vocals. However from this the song unexpectly erupts into one of the album's heaviest and m, ost physcotic songs. The chorus isn't great, but the the way the song flows, and it's awesome verses make up for that. I love the guitar riffs. 05. Some Say - what a useless track. This is their popiest song ever and it's soft pop too. I know they kinda wanted to break the mood at this point, but I don't think they should have. All is not comletely lost though, I like the drums. 06. The Bitter End - the heaviest track they've ever done. I personally think it's kinda over-rated, but the multiple guitar solos are amazing, and the riffs rival that of Tool and Korn, but the vocals and lyrics are un-impressive, and the song doesn't flow like it should. 07. Open Your Eyes - reverts back to stuff found on Does This Look Infected, but not classic Sum 41. It's ok, but not anything too stand-outish. The second verse is great, but bad ending. 08. Slipping Away - even more useless than Some Say. The lyrics are pointless and repeatitive, the music isn't that great, and I hate the pizzacato strings at the end. I have no idea why the band did that. 09. I'm Not The One - I absolutely hated Deryck trying to rap on this one during the verse, but the chorus was good, and the bridge is awesome in every way. I think it would have been cool if they had taken out the last chorus and just keep repeating the bridge and fade out. They've never done that before, so it'd work. 10. Welcome To Hell - a blazing fast, rebelious, immitation of classic punk, similar to My Direction, but fast and angst filled all the way through. I love the bass solo, and the chorus is catchy. 11. Peices - up until now they've never done a good soft track, but this is great. It shows the more sensitive side of the band. The lyrics are metaphorical, and wonderfully written, and the acoustic guitar compliments it great. 12. There's No Solution - not bad, but a pretty mediocore and comparatively weak track. It's ok, but personally I think they should have left it out of the album because one it contridicts what they say on No Reason, and two it doesn't flow well from Peices or into 88. 13. 88 - by far Sum's best work to date, and one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard. In fact I'll go as far as to say that not only is it their best work, it's probably the best song in the genre (even though it's not completely punk, it's punk, punk-pop, metal, soft rock, hardcore, and progresseive rock all in one). The intro is awesome with it's great guitar riff, and amazing tribal drums. The first verse is soft and acoustic, with some synth and is very calming. The chorus is a powerful punk anthem punk anthem but nothing compared to later parts of the song. After the chorus it enters into a simple, typical punkish solo, and the punksh second verse. The third chorus randomly changes into heavy metal, and a second flanger-ized sweeping solo that is almost entrancing. The it burts into a million-mile-an-hour hardcore riff, and into a third thrashing solo that is absolutely amazing. At the fastest and heaviest moment the song they strick one last power chord, and then the keyboard, multiple synths, special effects, and arabian acoustic guitar harmonics take over. Deryck comes with whispering the repeated phrase "I'm losing control" while his voice is overdubbed in a quiter scream which togther with the weird synth thing creates a completely hypnotic effect. The last minute or so of this song will blow you away. Probably one of the best things about this album besides the change in the band's sound is unlike Does This Look Infected everything flows together so amazingly. In fact if you play the album on loop the end of 88 will even flow perfectly into the Intro. Amazing production on this, I highly reccomend it. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: rad82, on december 14, 2006

Sound: From listening to their albums in a chronilogical order, I have noticed one theme: it seems as if Sum 41 might be "growing up." From the anthem "Fat Lip" to the now famous songs on this Album, that is the impression given to me, and I love it. I would love to see them live because they can go from a jump-around happy feel that would totally get you psyched to a totally different serious, mature song that will wow you to death. Aside from that, Sum 41 has always made songs that were just plain fun to play on guitar. After tons of hard work, I can finally play all of "The Bitter End" including the solo up to speed with the album. One thing I noticed about the album was that some songs sounded like songs from other bands. But what is ok with that is that the way they go about playing and producing them made them great "No Reason" which is one of my all time favorite songs (I've never not got goosebumps while listening to this song after the first couple plays, no joke) sounds like it could be a Lincon Park song and I hate Lincoln Park. "The Bitter End" sounds like Metallica's "Battery" which is an awesome song already. I didn't like a few songs on the album, like "Open Your Eyes" and "Pieces" because they had that dumb generic sound. Those two didn't compensate for the face-melting radness Chuck has to offer. // 9

Lyrics: My god, quite possibly the best lyrical album of the 21st century. The backup that Dave and Cone deliver is truly the best back up I've ever heard. The Lyrics are real deep. I like the whole "war on rock" concept they have. Definately showing a sign of maturity. I couldn't come up with it anyway, but maybe in 13 or 14 years when I'm their age I can. But the harmony and back up is orgasmic, you gotsta check it out. // 10

Overall Impression: One of my favortie albums ever; the one in my ears the most as of present time. I would suggest taking a gander at this one even if you don't like Sum 41. The songwriting is amazing, the skill, producing, melodic riffs, catchyness, and maturity is as strong as ever. It bummed me out to hear the recent departure of their lead guitar player, Dave, but from what I hear, he didn't contribute to their creativy very much, so their new album won't take a change for the worst, and I'm anticipating it. Sum 41 has become a roll model for me, in the early stages of being in bands. I don't want to copy or rip them off, but catchy, fast (along with being able to pull of slow), deep songs doesn't sound like that bad of an idea to me right now. I would suggest you let those goosebumps show and go buy "Chuck" before you just end up whacking off. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: Tster, on september 29, 2007

Sound: This album is absolutly crazy! it's so good, it's comming at you at all angles and when it hits you, you get to listin to one of the best albums out there. In this album Sum 41 have gone metalish and still stay true to their sound. I'm am not a huge metal fan myself, but man, this album rocks! I can't get enough of it Sum 41 was going heavier and heavier since All Killer No Filler and finally hit metal and man the product is great. You gotta check out this album, it's up there. Even if your not a metal fan, just a bit of punk fan you'll end up rocking to this. // 10

Lyrics: Some of Sum 41's best lyrics. There's a line in every song that can relate to me in such a personal level that it makes the song so much more than a band trying to make your head rock up and down. Dyreck's vocal skills is absolutly awesome and really fits this type of music. His voice adds to the tracks so a lot, if you had someone else singing this it'd be ruined. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album; awesome. Everything about the album is great. I can't get enough of it. Every song, every second which is played through my speakers is amazing. Most impressive songs? Every song on this album is wicked, it'l make you start the guitar if you haven't already, you'll get so into it. Oh, I would buy this album again even if a few of the tracks were skipping let alone if it was stolen or lost. Seriously, if you haven't already you gotta check this album out, you'll end up rockin' harder than ever. // 10

Chuck Reviewed by: naw2, on february 11, 2011

Sound: Before I go on with this review proper I would like to add that the first I'd heard of Sum 41 would be the latest record 'Underclass Hero' and in my view on the whole it is utter garbage. When a friend of mine lent me Chuck I was very skeptical of the album after he'd said that give a few of the songs some tweaks it would make a basic (in terms of technical skill) but good Metal album. When I actually took the time to listen to it I understood as while (apart from some of the drumming and the lead guitar work) there is not much in terms of blistering technical skill he was absolutely right. Yes there are more 'traditional' pop punk songs but this, as a work on the whole, is actually fairly unique to the genre to this day. The closest any artist has come to making a pop punk/metal record is Madina Lake with 'The Dresden Codex EP' with crucial difference being this (in my view) is better in almost every department. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically a lot of it is typically 'pop punk' so really quite dull in some aspects. But some of the songs. Looking particularly at two of the singles here 'We're All To Blame' and 'Pieces' there is actually some deeper, more meaningful lyrical skill on display. I'm not saying it's the most genius lyrical work ever but it definitely shows some long term thought has gone into it. Generally the lyrical themes displayed in the songs fits in with the music quite well. For example 'The Bitter End' and '88' fit perfectly and it makes the songs, in my opinion at least, flow exactly the way I think the band intended it to. The singer is neither amazing nor terrible. But this album proved he could be versatile. In various songs he could turn his hand to delicate singing, shouting, screaming and even euphoric spoken word whenever the need takes him. It's a well crafted, mature and diverse record vocally. // 8

Overall Impression: 1) Intro - Does what it says on the tin but has the strange ability to fit in perfectly with more than one song on the album. 7.5/10 2) No Reason - Euphoric, partially apocalyptic and with some really good simple riffs. A very appropriate opening song to the album. Shows a maturity that runs through the record and is missing on the whole from everything else the band has written before or since. 8/10 3) We're All To Blame - Reversed stereotypical dynamics much like Metallica's 'Unforgiven' with the very heavy (almost Metal-like) verses and quieter choruses (until the third one) and very good lyrics. Almost like a follow on from 'No Reason' lyrically. 8/10 4) Angels With Dirty Faces - The first genuine surprise of the album. The Drop tuned guitars could have been an indication this song was going to be slightly different but the heaviness after the soft vocal intro and the proper thrash metal drumming in the chorus make this one of the albums stand out tracks. 9.5/10 5) Some Say - The best thing about the are the vocals. It's not my kind of song generally and seems a bit to much like generic 'pop punk' ballad in my view. 5/10 6) The Bitter End - I've heard many things said about this song: It's a rip-off of Metallica's 'Battery', it's a fake Metal song and it's just plain wrong. I'll admit it is structured basically identically and includes some similar phrasing but it stands out as it's own song. First of all it is a very convincing Thrash song as all the elements are there and it's put together in a very convincing and logical manner. Oh and the main guitar solo is absolutely incredible in my opinion. Yes it's not the fastest or the most melodic but it strikes a very fine balance which is important in my opinion. This is best song on the album in my view. 10/10 (yes i know it's frowned upon to give anything 10 but I've done it now) 7) Open Your Eyes - I must admit I haven't listened to this song as much as the others but it is a good song musically. Works really well with seeming maturity that has been hinted at with the music. Just a shame it's the worst track lyrically and it comes quite close to ruining the song as a whole. That said the Middle 8 is actually quite fantastic. 7/10 8) Slipping Away - The True Acoustic number of the album. This song takes pride of place on my chillout playlist on my computer. It's quite a beautiful song which is also structured not like a traditional song in the sense that it only has the one verse. Vocals shine out really well on this one. 8/10 9)I'm Not The One - Another very heavy song. When I first heard this song the intro reminded me very heavily of Linkin Park tracks like 'One Step Closer' or 'Crawling'. The actual proper screaming vocals in the middle section of the song are pretty remarkable and show a complete diversity from most of the rest of the album in terms of vibe and texture. 9/10 10) Welcome To Hell - Very much more like a traditional punk song from decades previous. It's a very short, shouty, fun song basically telling us to jump around like morons and it would be a very good song in the mosh pit. The Bass stands out on this track as being fast, spikey and, much like the rest of the track on the whole, just damned good fun. 8.5/10 11) Pieces - The rating for this song would be so much lower if it did not have really good lyrical content. I find the song incredibly dull if i'm not paying particular attention to the words as there is really not very much to the music that I haven't heard from 'Some Say' or 'Slipping Away' earlier in the record. 6/10 12) There's No Solution - Another song which I have not spent a lot of time listening to. There can be no doubt that this song actually has one of the best choruses on the album. It's almost like a big stadium rock track scaled down a bit. Just missed a bit of lead guitar would be my one problem with it. 7.5/10 13) 88 - The Schizophrenic song as I like to call it now. It contains all the styles present in the album. From a very punk rock-ish intro. To an acoustic verse, a massive chorus and the massive Metal breakdown towards the end. Had it ended on that big Eb chord at the end of the breakdown it would have been another 10/10 song in my view but there is simply the fact that the ending sounds strained and rather bizzare. Did not seem neccesary. 9.5/10 From the US the album ends here but the version I have houses 3 other songs, which I shall also take a look at. 14) Noots - Incorporation of keyboards is very interesting. It in keeps with the theme of the album musically and has a humongous chorus to go with it. Lyrically however it is a bit of a disappointment but not terrible. 7.5/10 15) Moron - What else could be said about this song other than it is, much like 'Welcome To Hell' is a very good laugh. It is almost as simple as music gets and it shows. What else draws me is actually a very good vocal performance which suits the song perfectly. 16) Subject TO Change - This song has foundations in both the title track from the next album (the chorus) and in 'No Reason' (the middle 8). It manages to be the angriest song on the disc but while it is a very good song it doesn't quite flow as a lyrical concept and it is quite easy to understand why it was not included on either this album or the next. Pity really. 8/10 Overall rating for the album I would say has to be 8/10. I love the majority of it as it is a massive departure from the general direction of Pop Punk around the time and to this day. The Stand-Out songs are the heavier ones, not just as a fan of Metal but as a musician they are better musically in my view and it shows that this band. Even in it's new guise can pull off a largely convincing live cover of the classic Metallica song 'Master Of Puppets'. I wish I could find this album to buy but apart from online (and a lack of money) I can not find it anywhere. // 8

More Sum 41 reviews rating latest review