Underclass Hero Review

sum 41: Underclass Hero
Release Date: Jul 24, 2007
Label: Island
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
Underclass Hero marks a step in a bold new direction for the group. They're better than ever and this time no regrets.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.1
 7.8
Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Sound: After the departure of shredding guitarist, Dave Brownsound, many people had their doubts whether Sum 41's fifth studio album would compare to their previous efforts. However, after purchasing the album on the day of release, I was pleasantly surprised. The record offers various different sounds, ranging from acoustic songs (So Long Goodbye), piano based songs (Ma Poubelle) and faster, heavier songs (The Jester). The guitar is a lot more simplistic without Dave, but Deryck has still managed to write some great, catchy riffs, for example the main riff of 'Underclass Hero' and the outro to 'King of Contradiction'. As far as guitar solos are concerned, do not expect one with the quality of 'In Too Deep' or 'Bitter End, ' but expect one with a more technical approach, like the one found in 'Pull the Curtain' or 'Best of Me.' Sum 41 have obviously looked over their last four albums and picked out the best elements of each. If you're a fan of All Killer No Filler, 'Underclass Hero' and 'Walking Disaster' may suit your needs. If you're a fan of Does This Look Infected? you may prefer songs such as 'The Jester' and 'Pull the Curtain', or if you liked the heavier album, Chuck, you'll enjoy songs such as 'Count Your Last Blessings' and 'King of Contradiction.' Some songs sound nothing like anything the Sums have done before, such as 'With Me' and 'Ma Poubelle.' Deryck has added in piano on a majority of songs plus some fantastic vocal melodies and harmonies, possibly to compensate for the lack of classic Brownsound guitaring. The drums on the record are possibly some of the best on any Sum 41 album, possibly as Steve Jocz is one of the best modern punk rock drummers around. The bass in some songs is barely audible and usually follows the guitar, although some bass lines contribute to the structure of the song e.g 'Walking Disaster.' People have made accusations that Sum 41 have ripped off other bands like Green Day, Yellowcard and My Chemical Romance and stole their songs. I do not believe this is true. Deryck has confirmed no other bands influenced the record. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are some of the best and most personal Deryck has ever written. He gets a lot off his chest about his childhood in the song, Dear Father, explaining 'I'm getting used to knowing you're just a name without a face' and 'you're out there somewhere, I don't know if you care at all, it seems that you don't.' Some songs take a more political approach such as March of the Dogs: 'And now the President's dead because they blew up his head, no more necks to be red, guess to heaven he fled.' This sparked controversy yet this is only acting a metaphor. The single, Underclass Hero's lyrics are very feel good and all about independence: 'We're doing fine, and we don't need to be told, that we're doing fine, because we won't give you control.' Deryck's actual vocal skills are also some of the best seen on a Sum 41 record. He uses his shouting voice on Count Your Last Blessings: 'no one can help me! ' He uses his soft voice on With Me: 'I don't want this moment to ever end.' I was very impressed with Deryck's scream going into the solo of Pull the Curtain, and his angered whispers after it. Overall the lyrics are fantastic and the vocal harmonies, especially on Walking Disaster are great. // 9

Overall Impression: Underclass Hero definitely compares to their previous four albums. I love the fact that Deryck, Cone and Steve carried on after the departure of Dave and came back better than ever. The tracklisting is as follows: 01. Underclass Hero - brilliant way to start off the album, fast, punk rock-like and upbeat. Very feel good and will make the listener intrigued to hear the rest of the album. 02. Walking Disaster - starts off slow and emotional, then kicks in as a very fast tempo punk rock song. Has a great chorus and catchy verse. It slows down again at the end, just the way it started. 03. Speak Of The Devil - once again, starts of slow, then has random outbursts of distorted guitar and loud drums. Has a reasonably good verse and chorus, but not the best song on the album. 04. Dear Father - I was impressed with the lyrics and when the distorted guitar kicks in at the end but a bit more creativity could have been used throughout the rest of the song as it can get a bit dull and sad sometimes. 05. Count Your Last Blessings - one of the heavier tracks, with a piano intro and outro, but some great guitar in the chorus. Also was impressed with the lyrics; 'Misery's best friend, dead beat dead end.' 06. Ma Poubelle - a joke track, similar style to the Beatles, but in French. It's rather amusing and actually quite catchy. Sadly, only lasts under a minute. 07. March Of The Dogs - one of the political songs, similar to Still Waiting and We're All To Blame. This was the first song I ever heard off this album and how now started to wear thin a bit, but nevertheless is still fast, catchy with some cool lyrics. 08. The Jester - has a kinda spooky intro, sounds brilliant when everything kicks in. Also has a nice bridge guitar riff. 09. With Me - one of the slower tracks with an acoustic intro but heavy guitars in the chorus. One of my favourite tracks on the album as it's quite emotional yet still packs a punch. Also has a very cold, sad, piano outro that sent a shiver down the spine. 10. Pull The Curtain - my favourite track on the album, due to the intro riff, guitar solo, Deryck's whispering and the overlapping vocals at the end of the song. 11. King Of Contradiction - another one of my favourite songs off the album. It's short and sweet, yet manages to have one of the catchiest chorus' on the record and one of the best endings to a Sum 41 song I've heard. 12. Best Of Me - after the madness of the previous track, things are taken down a step with this relaxing song. Has a nice technical solo included. 13. Confusion And Frustration In Modern Times - sounds slightly similar with it's chords to some of the other songs on the album, yet still remains a good listen. Also has a great sort of bridge which almost evaluates the album and sums up the theme. 14. So Long Goodbye - a nice way to end the album with acoustic guitar and violins. The song is obviously about Dave and is quite emotional. I have a bonus track on my CD called 'No Apologies' which is another good song but nothing majorly special. If this album was lost or stolen, I'd buy it again instantly. Probably my favourite Sum 41 record and a must have for all fans of their other work. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: TrentR956, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Whether a fan of Sum 41 or not, I think most everyone can remember when the pop-punk All Killer No Filler album was released in 2001, which first made the band famous. Then, two years later, Does this Look Infected? matured the bands sound into punk rock. In 2004, Chuck came out, further developing the bands sound into metal. And then comes 2007. After a three year absense, Sum 41 has hit the studios again and has for us another album, entitled Underclass Hero. The band, however, does not follow their own trend in continually establishing a harder sound. Instead, Underclass Hero takes a step back. Quite a few, actually. The overall sound could be most closely compared to that of All Killer No Filler. Awesome. All Killer No Filler was a great album. This one must be amazing, right? Sorry, but that's incorrect. Almost everything on this album is lacking. If you're wishing to relive the AKNF days, look elsewhere, this isn't the album for you. Instead of the distorted sound and fast tempos that could be expected, Sum 41 decided to go acoustic with slower tempos with many of their songs. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in this case, it is. It really does diminish the sound of the overall album. // 7

Lyrics: Despite the many basic songs that contain oversimplified lyrics, (I'm looking straight at you, 'With Me') there's clearly been some other motivations in the writing. Upon close... excuse me, far-away inspection, it's easy to see some typical lyrics that, in the end, rarely have much depth. The overused 'My Daddy Hates Me' can be witnessed in multiple songs such as'Walking Disaster' and 'Dear Father'. Also, could someone inform me if there have been any large political debates recently in Canada? Because there seem to be quite a few songs bashing some leader, let's see. They sing about a son, and Capitol Hill and, what's this? "Ladies and gentlemen of the underclass The president of the United States is dead!" (March of the Dogs). Why exactly is a Canadian band singing about the politics of the United States? Honestly, Green Day is bad enough, and they're American. Do we really need some Canadian band telling us about how we should perceive our leader? Worse yet, Sum 41 doesn't even make any valid political points. And there's three songs whining about Bush, as well. None of the other songs really have completely horrible lyrics, and there are a few that are okay, such as 'Walking Disaster', but really, none of the vocals stand out as "Wow, these lyrics are absolutely amazing!" Even the title song, 'Underclass Hero', just feels like a reformatted anti-government version of 'Fat Lip'. Deryck Whibley's voice is basically the same as all of the previous albums; it's good. // 6

Overall Impression: This album can mostly be compared to that of Blink 182 and particularly Green Day, especially with the 'Screw our leader' theme. In fact, many of the songs sound extremely similar to songs of bands in similar genres (compare the chorus of 'With Me' and Yellowcards 'Only One' if you have to) If you're looking for something that sounds like older Sum 41, then 'Underclass Hero', 'Speak of the Devil' and 'Count Your Last Blessings' would be your best chance. Those also happen to be the best songs. What a coincidence. Another complaint is the repetitiveness of the whole album. The lyrics "I walk these no name streets" must've been heard on atleast a few songs. However, what's really annoying is this particularly unoriginal and boring guitar riff. Listening to the introductions of 'Walking Disaster', 'March of the Dogs', 'Pull the Curtain' and also 'Count Your Last Blessings' at 2:00, it's quite conspicuous that Sum 41 is lacking original ideas even for guitar riffs to a point where I can honestly say I have never heard so many redundant riffs and recycled material on one album. If you went out and bought the actual Compact Disc, an extra DVD is enclosed which has a few videos and live performances, along with four episodes of their online show. While it is a nice bonus, it doesn't make up for the overall quality the album lacks. If you buy the album through Itunes, you get the bonus track 'Take a Look at yourself' which is actually a pretty good song compared to the rest of the album. If you must, buy singles off of itunes, because it's not worth it to pay $10+ for the whole album. Or you could just listen to previous Sum 41, Green Day, and Blink 182 albums. // 6

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on august 13, 2007

Sound: It's Difficult to tell which direction Sum 41 have tried to go in with this album. Some songs such as title track 'Underclass Hero' resurrect the old Sum 41, with the same bouncy riffs that made 'Fat Lip' and 'In Too Deep' such big hits back in 2001. But many other tracks on the album are clearly reminiscent of Green Day and Good Charlotte. Another key point, at first you will probably believe that all the songs sound the same, but there is far more variety than it would first appear. It seems that Sum 41 have tried to go back to the old sound and develop it into more modern day punk. I believe that they have acheived it. // 8

Lyrics: Deryck Whibley has an instantly recognisable voice, although it has developed superbly. Instead of the stereotyped 'shouting', Deryck does sing with a more melodic style throughout the album, his singing being similar to the style of Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day) and even Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance). The lyrics range from 'The presidents head is missing' to 'Adress this letter to dear father' and even stretch as far as 'et je commenceraidedans mis pantalons'. I do feel the lyrics are meaningful and successful but repetiton of lyrics in different songs (and perhaps the stealing of lyrics from other bands) does let them down on occassions. // 7

Overall Impression: 'Underclass Hero' will compare well to most other punk albums of this year and fans who liked 'All killer no filler' will absoloutley love this album. My favourite aspect of this album is the fact that the old Sum 41 are back and they're as good as ever. I would buy this album again. Classic Sum 41. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Novaacaine, on february 28, 2008

Sound: Unlike previous albums, Underclass Hero has a much softer sound. This is mainly due to the guitars and lack of actual guitar riffs reminiscent to those of Does This Look Infected?. With Dave gone, there are no longer any "legitimate" solos. Despite Deryck being the main riff-writer, he fails to create different and original riffs for each song. The only song that really seems to have decent riffs is Count Your Last Blessings. Even though the songs are catchy and upbeat, I find myself getting bored quickly as Underclass Hero doesn't have the same "Sum 41 attitude" from past albums. On the happier note, it's good to see the band expanding their artistic side by adding in more piano, acoustic guitar, multiple drum kits in a single song, and vocal harmonies. Although Deryck seems to go a bit overboard with them and there aren't many traditional guitar, bass, drum rock-out songs. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely a step forward in relation to Sum 41's standards. To see what I mean, count how many times the words "fake" and "blame" are used in Does This Look Infected? and Chuck. Now count how many times those same words are used in Underclass Hero. The extra time to make the album has definitely given Deryck a chance to improve his songs lyrically. Although some songs fall short and just seem bland (With Me, So Long Goodbye). // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, you have to commend the guys for continuing on and making a fifth album after losing Dave. Despite Deryck's claims about Dave, I doubt it's true and Underclass Hero pretty much proves it. The best thing about Underclass Hero is the lyrics and the band trying to craft the songs better. But the thing that separated Sum 41 from bands like Blink 182 and Green Day was the guitar riffs and solos. With Underclass Hero it relentlessly gets criticized as a Blink 182/Green Day rip-off. Being a big Sum 41 fan myself, I hate seeing those kinds of reviews, but I would be lying if I said I didn't agree. All in all, if you're a big fan get the album and enjoy it for what it's worth. If you're a fan of their heavier stuff, leave this album be and keep listening to Chuck and Does This Look Infected? // 6

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: BenFoffenbock, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Sum 41's "All Killer, No Filler", "Does This Look Infected?" and, to a lesser extent, "Half Hour of Power" defined many a youngster's musical tastes. While that may seem ridiculous to some, it's hard to deny the appeal of the infectious tracks and massive hooks that characterised these albums. These were then followed up by the 2004 release of "Chuck", which was sprinkled with an assortment of heavy metal-flavoured garnishes and spices. Now with the release of "Underclass Hero", the band's fifth album, the Sums have brought back the trademarks of their earlier efforts; simple yet effective song structures featuring ultra-melodic choruses played with "My First Guitar"-style pop-punk chords. One noticeable difference is the almost non-existence of solos throughout the durattion of the album, which is disappointing as it could be said that Sum 41's solos are what set them apart from other similar bands. This is most likely due to the departure of lead guitarist and main headbanger Dave Baksh (Brownsound/Hot Chocolate), who left on good terms to concentrate on his side-project, Brown Brigade. Despite this it's still refreshing to know that the band can still pen a catchy tune, even if it's nothing particularly innovative. Many will listen to the lead track Underclass Hero and simply shrug it off as a rip-off of one of their previous songs, Fat Lip. A better (and more accurate) way of looking at it is that it sounds like Sum 41 rather than Fat Lip. I'm sure many fans will be relieved to hear the familiar and comforting sound that Underclass Hero (the song and album) harks back to; I mean, everyone likes a slice of nostalgia pie once in a while don't they? Delve deeper into the album and you'll uncover many tracks as catchy as Underclass Hero, and many that deceptively take a while to build up but eventually end on a riotous note. Some songs even feature piano and orchestral sections; a first for the band. Less energetic songs such as "Dear Father", "With Me", "Best of Me" and "So Long Goodbye" offset the up-tempo songs nicely, although the track listing is such that the album never really develops a flow and tends to unnaturally jump from emotional ballad to mosh-pit punk. In a similar vein to the track listing, Whibley's vocals easily shift from melodic and poignant to rowdy and rebellious with ease, and have really evolved from the early days of "Half Hour of Power". In fact, with respect for Cone and Stevo, it seems that Derryck Whibley has turned Sum 41 into his own solo project; he's the singer, guitarist, lyricist, producer, and rather than depicting all three band members on the cover, it's Whibley all on his lonesome. // 8

Lyrics: Back in the day (which, interestingly, was a Wednesday), Sum 41 were known as much for their catchy, hooky songs as they were for their immature teenage humour, especially in their videos. The release of "Chuck" changed all that, as it was generally more political and was a sign that the young boys had matured, much the same way Green Day progressed from "Dookie" to "American Idiot". While the sound of "Underclass Hero" takes us back to an earlier time, the overriding political theme that permeates the lyrics still continues from the previous album. Whibley has climbed aboard the overpopulated Bash-Bush bandwagon with anthemic anti-government, umm, anthems such as "The Jester", "March of the Dogs" and of course "Underclass Hero." Although not inspiring me to lead a coup de tat against the various administrations around the world, the lyrics are admittedly very well written. "The Jester" refers to the situation in Iraq with lines such as "An eye for an eye will leave us all blind", while Whibley tells us just what he things of old George Dubya in "King of Contradiction" with lyrics such as "You're replaced now/Was nice to know you/Now your time is up so/Just drop dead." It isn't all guns and governments though; the deadbeat-dad lamentation "Dear Father" is a tender and profound little ditty, as are "With Me" and "Best of Me", both of which were clearly written with his new wife Avril Lavigne in mind. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, "Underclass Hero" is exactly the album that fans were expecting and wanting. Rather than aspiring to be exceptionally innovative or groundbreaking, Sum 41 have decided to aim at pleasing a wide range of listeners, and in a way they've managed to pull this off. It takes us on a journey back to the pop-punk days of old while at the same time exhibits a lyrical and musical maturity. Underclass Hero as an album is very powerful, strong and qualitative not just in it's execution, but it's production as well. Listening to "Dear Father", "Walking Disaster" or "March of the Dogs", you can't help but think that these songs just couldn't be better. Everyone who is in love with pop punk will be overjoyed with Sum 41's latest collaboration. However if you were hoping that Sum 41 would continue on in the tradition of "Chuck" you'll probably be greeted with an air of disappointment when you break open the seal. // 8

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Tominator, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Sum 41 has always impressed me with the way it's evolved through time. With each album, their influences change, and so the sound changes too. For example, in their early years, they were influenced mostly by NOFX and you could see that in Half Hour Of Power. But with each album, they've grown more mature and now this album sounds a lot like Greenday's American Idiot. This album reminds me a lot of All Killer No Filler, with it's catchy melodies and great combination of the bands vocals. But since guitarist and original member David "Brownsound" Baksh left, a lot of the songs don't have many catchy guitar riffs, except for a few like the first single Underclass Hero. They also use piano in many of the songs, something that is quite new to Sum 41, but they blend it in really well. So in conclusion I'd say this album sounds a lot like All Killer No Filler just with a piano added in but without as many neat guitar riffs. I've created an ultra-clever equation for this to make it seem more simple: AKNF + Piano - Dave = Underclass Hero. // 9

Lyrics: I gotta say that the lyrics to this album are my favorite part. They are all mostly personal to the songwriter, lead singer and guitarist Deryck Whibley. A good example is how So Long Goodbye is about Dave Baksh's departure from the band. a lot of the album is also, as Whibley says, a "deeply personal statement that reflects the confusion and frustration of modern society". There are a lot of interesting lines that I just think sound interesting such as "And when the devil's angels come"; "So nice of you to speak of me your closest friend and enemy"; and "Divided we stand, together we fall". I find it really good when a song has clever lyrics cause it really makes you appreciate the songwriter. There are also lyrics that just make me feel really happy when I listen to them, most notably the part in So Long Goodbye that goes "Just look up to the stars and believe who you are cause it's quite alright". It's lines like those that just make me stop worrying about things and just make me really get into the music. The singing in this album is also well done. Whibley gets really enthusiastic with his singing in this album, but my favorite part is how well bassist Cone McCaslin's back-up vocals blend in with the songs. Prime examples of this are The Jester, March Of The Dogs and Pull The Curtain. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, this album sounds a lot like AKNF, which I think is great since personally I liked AKNF more than Chuck. As much as I like it how they grow and change, it's good that they've returned back to their old roots a bit. The songs that I think stand out the most on this album are The Jester, Underclass Hero, Walking Disaster, March Of The Dogs, Speak Of The Devil and Count Your Last Blessings. I really love how well all of the instruments and vocals blend together in this album. I believe that's the most important thing that the a band can do for a song or album, and Sum 41 does it really well in this album. The one particular thing I don't really like is how a few of the songs sound really familiar and remind you of other songs, which I don't think is a good thing since every song should sound entirely unique and not remind you of other songs. The two main songs that do this are Underclass Hero which reminds a lot of Fat Lip from All Killer No Filler; and Best Of Me which makes me think about Hate Me by Blue October every time I listen to it. I think I'd buy this album if I lost it since I really like listening to it and I believe the lyrics are really amazing. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Well Sum 41 just released their new album "Underclass hero" and it may resemble some of their old sounds mixed with feelings of Political Green Day and some influences of olf school Blink 182 if you listen carefully. Anyways ever since Dave "Brown Sound" left to do a side project, Sum 41 have gone back to their roots but with a poppier edge unlike their last heavier album "Chuck". But don't get me wrong even though some of their stuff may sound like Blink and Green day this IMO is a good step for them from their last album. Like a new awakening for them. Most of the songs are basically Power chords with a tight drum section and easy bass lines with some piano thrown in on some songs that give their sound a new edge. But just because their playing is easy doesnt't mean they aren't as good as musicians. Just give the album a listen and you will see how all the songs are developed in their own unique way. // 8

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are a bit politcal in some areas and very serious in other other songs. Like March of the Dogs " The president of the united states is dead" and a serious song that is a good listen would be "Dear Father" that is a sad moving song with good lyrics such as " So many years I've been ignored youve been gone without a trace I'm getting used to your're just another name without a face" which presents like I said feelings of sorrow and melancholy. Those are just some examples of how Sum 41 are progressing as band. Singing wise Deryk sings mostly in key in all the songs and his voice is clear and you can hear him enunciate all his words without having to say "what did he say?." Also Cone and Steve 0 do a real great job on harmonies such as Mike Dirnt from Green Day. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall if you are a fan of Sum 41 or Green Day this is a good album to pick up for a collection or just something new to listen to. The songs that stick out would be Underclass hero, March of the dogs, Dear Father, and Ma Poubelle which I think is sung in Canadian not so sure, and my favorite So long goodbye. I liked the fact that sum 41 is going in a good direction but I didn't really like how they used some easy chord progression in some songs but other than that it was a great album. If it were stolen I prolly wouldn't but it again just cause it have it on my PC. // 8

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: bobclubcomics, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Sum 41 is a good band, however, they're made better albums. Still pretty good though. Their hybrid rock/metal stuff is gold, but some of their punk rock stuff sucks. It seems that Deryck Whibley, with Dave out of the way and not critiquing Deryck's guitars, Deryck decided that any riff is a good riff. A lot of what we hear on the album is riffs made of the same note, over and over, in a rhythmic fashion, with the guitars stuck on two settings, distortion (always the exact same tone) and acoustic. Not a very original record. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics, for a large part, are very emo. And there is some vocal range, but not too much. And it seems that in their songs, it's the same notes over and over, the same in all the songs, kind of like the guitar tone. Other than that, they're pretty good, not much to comment on. // 7

Overall Impression: If you're a die-hard Sum 41 fan, get it. You'll love it. But if you only like some of Sum 41's things, highlight tracks are Underclass Hero, March of the Dogs, and Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times. Though the album may not be great, I love Underclass Hero. Seriously. It's stylistically like Fat Lip, and or course, these are their rock/metal hybrids everyone loves so much. However, a lot of it smells like plagiarism of other bands in their genre, like MCR, Green Day, and Taking Back Sunday. As a final thought, I don't think it's really worth getting the whole album unless you love the band. Otherwise, listen to the songs free somewhere first (like Rhapsody or something) and pick out the songs you want. // 6

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Will-Low, on august 13, 2007

Sound: "Underclass Hero" goes back to the style of "All Killer, No Filler" and "Does This Look Infected" aka punk rock. It starts off with a catchy punk tune, "Underclass Hero" then moving onto "Pieces"/Motivation" sounding song "Walking Disaster". The most unique song though is "Ma Poubelle". This short song is sung entirely in French. "Ma" is then followed by a fast "March of the Dogs". The album has a good sound to it but the lyrics are the best part. // 7

Lyrics: Ahh. Now the lyrics are the best part of the album keeping their same strong meaning that is found in their last studio album "Chuck". These lyrics are extremely likely to get stuck in your head. I know that I was singing the song "Underclass Hero" for at least 3 days. That is not to mention the political part of the album. For example "March of the Dogs" whose lyrics are "Ladies and gentlemen of the underclass, the president of the United States is dead. I don't believe in the politics of chosen fools and hypocrites. I'd say we need an exorcist the root of all evil is standing tall under god and above us all". // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of their better albums stepping ahead of "All Killer, No Filler" but I still think "Chuck" and "Does This Look Infected" overpowers it. The best songs off the album are defiantly "March of the Dogs" and "Underclass Hero". I really like the political side of the album but I dislike the sound engineer because there is too much guitar in the mix. It really overpowers the rest of the instruments. I am a loyal Sum fan so if this was stolen I would defiantly buy it again (this CD also has a hidden track "Look at Me" but don't tell anyone about it). // 8

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Enigmanus, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Sum 41 returns with their latest CD Underclass Hero, and this time they've decided to divert from the direction of "Chuck" and "Does this Look Infected", and go back to their pop-punk roots. It's an extremely well done CD with a very familiar sound, and it shows the Sum 41 we know and love, back from the glory days of All Killer No Filler. However, as a bit of a stab against them, it does seem to get a tad repetitive with the overall sound, and it really reminds me of one of Blink 182's albums, who, as fate would have it, also had a very repetitive sound. Regardless, it's a fun album, and a very serious album at the same time, touching on things like Dave's quitting the band (So Long, Goodbye), Deryck's absentee father (Dear Father, Walking Disaster), and even a bit of a stab at the white house, namely Bush (March of the Dogs, The Jester, King of Contradiction, Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times). This album is a positive step into the face of Sum 41, and it's a welcome return to the old Sum 41. Though, I'm really not too concerned with the sound being too familiar throughout the songs. Honestly, it's an issue pretty much every band faces, and it's how I familiarize myself with different bands. So I'm not marking them down too badly for that. Though I do have to note, that the technical side of the album is a little lacking this time round. With Dave gone, there's no more bitchin' guitar solos, and the sound overall, is dissapointingly simple. Stevo's still got the drums ablazin', and Deryck's voice is still killer, but without Dave, it definately felt like there was a big peice missing in the album overall. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this CD are possibly the best they've been. Wonderfully well written, deep, and really powerful. However, I DO have to point out that the chorus of their first single, "Underclass Hero" is taken from a bonus track off of Chuck (Subject to Change). That was unfortunate, 'cause that was one of my favourite songs off of Chuck, so when I first heard "Underclass Hero" I kinda dreaded what the rest of the album would turn out like. 'Cause It does also sound almost exactly like what you'd get if you mixed "Subject to Change" and "Fat Lip" into one song. It was, however, a small impact on the rest of the CD, and once I got the chance to hear the rest of the album, I was relieved to find out that the rest of the songs, especially "March of the Dogs," and "Count your Last Blessings," were written much better than the dissapointment that the title track managed to be. Overall, the lyrics were Extremely impressive, and, aside from the reuse of a chorus, the lyrics on Underclass Hero were still well done, nonetheless. The song, "Ma Poubelle" (Which means My Trashcan) is sung all in French, and (aside from the translation being hilarious) shows the lighter side of Sum 41, while most of the rest of the album is more serious this time round, lyric-wise. Definately well-written, and it shows Sum 41 isn't ready to back down just yet. // 10

Overall Impression: While All Killer, No Filler, is still the best Sum 41's been thus far, Underclass Hero still manages to be some of Sum's best work (Despite the lack of Dave, I miss Dave) thus far. And it's definately a relief from Chuck, which, while acceptably good, really made me feel like Sum 41 was really just turning into a completely different band. But regardless, Underclass Hero is definately a great Album, with some of my Fav songs yet. Some notable songs are "March of the Dogs", "Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times", "Walking Disaster", "The Jester", and "Count your last Blessings". The only thing I felt that really dissapointed me in the album was the over-simplified sound of it all, and I did feel like there was a peice missing in that sound, which was probably caused by Dave's absence. I miss Dave. Overall, Underclass Hero is a wonderfully welcome addition to Sum 41's discography. Dispite the technical lack in the sound, and the dissapointing chorus of Walking Disaster, Sum 41 manages to pull off a beutiful album, with a familiar sound, and amazing lyrics. It just goes to show that Sum 41 still manages to be All Killer, and I'm definately eager to see what they do next. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: cheeseball2392, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Well, after losing the lead guitarist, this band has been reduced from four to three members. I I had to compare them to anyone it would be right to say that they sound like a harder Blink 182. This CD has a lot of slower songs than the past few cds, but don't get me wrong they are good. The two songs that I heard a lot of before the release (Underclass Hero and March of the Dogs) are not the best songs on this CD, but are very good. If you like these two songs, than this is a good CD for you. This is a new Sum 41, and I think this is a good change for the band, the only thing is, you wont hear many of the solos they used to have. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great just like they always have been. They do not fall short of the standards for most Sum 41 fans. They throw in some political songs along the way, but there are also different songs about family relationships, love, and just other random things. It gives everyone something to relate to. Deryck puts a lot of emotion into the lyrics he is singing, and the bass player (Cone McCaslin) also gets some of the yelling thing going to back up some of Deryck's vocals. All of the lyrics fit with the music, and I can't find any problems with them. // 10

Overall Impression: Underclass Hero (1) gets this CD started off good with a classic punk beat, and my favorite is walking disaster(2), but it definitely reminds me of a blink 182 song. Speak of the Devil (3) is a good song, the intro is misleading, it also sounds like a blink 182 song. Dear Father (4) is a good song, and the lyrics are meaningful. Count Your Blessings (5) is one of my favorite songs, the intro and the contagious beat gets it going. I Don't Know (6) is average, I mean, it could be better; it's not one of my favorites but that's just me. March of the Dogs (7) one of the first songs we knew about off of this cd, is one of the political songs, but the beat is great, and it gets it's points across clearly. The Jester (8) is a great follow up to March of the Dogs, and is also semi political. With Me (9) was one of my original favorites and it is one of the love songs on this CD. Pull the Curtain (10) seems like a blink 182 type song, it's pretty good. The King of Contradiction(11)is not too bad of a song, the fast beat may turn some people off, but this is real punk, and the outro is pretty awesome. Best of Me (12) is one of the slower songs on the Cd, but has a good meaning to it. Confusion and Frustration (13) is a pretty good song, but the intro is a pretty standard one, used by many bands, but it's just what I would expect from Sum 41 or Blink 182. So Long Goodbye (14) is a good, slow way to end the album, also one of the best songs. I expect nothing less from this band, and they lived up to my expectations. I know I have said it a lot in this review, but they sound so much like Blink 182. If you like Blink 182, this is a great CD for you. Sum 41 toned it down on a lot of their songs, but they are great. If someone stole this CD, I would find the bastard that took it, get my CD back, then burn him a copy. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Sound: One it's own, the sound of Sum 41's newest album is certainly different then what was anticipated. It was once said that the album would reflect the sound of "All Killer, No Filler", but it sounds more like a rip off of some sort of politically driven album. there's a lot of piano and acoustic guitar that isn't found on their previous albums. I think the absence of Dave (Brown Sound) sucked out most of the dare I say metal aspects that were featured in "Chuck." Most of the songs are in the same key as each other, which tends to make the songs sound similar. The problem with the similarities is that they are often too similar with other songs from other artists. For example, the chorus of "With Me", sounds too much like "Only One" by Yellowcard. Anyone could argue that they do not share the same time signature, but from a pessimistic point of view, it's just one of many ways to rip off a song. Then "Best of Me" has a chorus that sounds like the over played "The Reason" by Hoobastank, but ends like that Blue October song I believe it's called "Hate me". The lyrics aren't the same but the vocal patterns and chords are too close and anyone with an ear for that kind of thing could pick up on it. The most obvious rip off is the first track "Underclass Hero" where the opening riff falls one chord from identical to Blink 182's "Dumpweed". I still give the sound a high score because the rip offs are better than the originals. Nobody likes "The Reason". // 8

Lyrics: I never pay attention to the lyrics in a song because they are probably about nothing or make little sense depending on the band and their outside influences. The stand out for lyrics however is definitely "Dear Father" as it is about lead singer Deryck's father whom he has apparently never met. it's one of the few songs that has a direct meaning and significance, making it one of the better ones. On the negative side, I found that multiple songs, including "Dear Father", have the same vocal melodies and that certain lines in a verse are interchangeable between songs. The down side of the vocals is the previously refered political driven something. "March of the Dogs" opens with that Green Day mic with the "President, We as a people" it's been done, and it wasn't special the first time. My favorite lyrical comment is that right before the chorus of "With Me", there is a line that says "I've made my mistakes..." with the exact tune from Simple Plan's "Untitled". And like every other Sum 41 song, the lyrics are about nothing in general, with a vocabulary of words like "confusion, frustration" and synonyms that are carried through the album. // 6

Overall Impression: "Underclass Hero" is not their strongest effort, though it isn't their last. Sadly it also isn't their first album where songs are easily compared to songs by other bands like Linkin Park. It is still a must have for Sum 41 fans like myself, although right now we are having a love-hate relationship. Some would call it "unoriginal". And I call it a bunch of rip offs. I care less about the album and more about exposing the fact that music is being recycled these days. I want to take this oppurtunity to say that Marianas Trench stole the chorus from "Give Up the Grudge" by Gob, yes you remember that song and you cannot deny that they are one and the same. The lyrics to each song can be sang over the other flawlessly. I know is this supposed to be about Sum 41, but Derycks wife Avril was recently sued for stealing the Girlfriend chorus. I do not believe these are coincidences anymore. Go out, and by Underclass Hero just to see what I'm talking about, please. // 7

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: gravensuicide, on august 13, 2007

Sound: I've been a fan of theirs for many many years. Underclass here has to quite possibly be their worst album. It's not Sum 41 anymore, it's more like "Sum MTV". The songs are still okay, but expect them to be on TRL very soon. You could sort of see this coming after Chuck, but hey, can't blame somebody for tyring something new. To me, most of the songs sound the same, but, again, you can't really blame them. Their lead guitars, Dave Baksh, left durning song writting. The self-titled track, Underclass Hero, reminds me a lot of Fat Lip, and if you watch the music video for that song, you will really be reminded of Fat Lip, but it's not in a good way. it's more of a "your trying to hard to be your old selves again". One more thing about the sound, it's mainly like slow, "emo-ish" pop jams. // 7

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics, are again, depression, sad, in love, stuff like that. Even the first song, Underclass Hero, which is the most up-beat song on the whole album, still has a down and depressed side to it. Derek sounds the same as he always has, which is good. Cone does a lot more backing vocals on this album aswell. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I wasn't too impressed by this album. I think the name is really cheesy, and the songs arnt that great. As much as I don't want to say it, they really sold out. I hate saying bands sold out, because to me, there really isnt any way of selling out. Sum 41 just really seems to have changed WAY too much. They arnt the Sum 41 that I listened to way back when, and fell in love with. Underclass Hero is probably the best song on the album, the rest are very boring and sound the same. So, I would just recommend buying just a few songs off of iTunes or something. Unless your a huge Sum 41 fan, like myself, then buy it, but if you want it for the music, just get a few of the songs. // 7

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Sum 41's new album is whole hell of a lot different than the previous four. After losing guitarist Brown Sound Deryk Whidley is making up for his loss by using dubbed guitars on basically every song, which is showing that deryk can actually play guitar:O who knew. The album is a lot more down to earth more pop punk than ever, but it works Deryk is showing his singing variety, on every song, Steve-O drumming is as insane as ever and Cone's bass riffs are pretty sweet. Over all I was impressed how much Sum 41 has come along for a new sound on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were all very orgional, a lot of them seemed to be attacking the U.S., but most of them came from Deryk's experiencs. His vocals for this album sounded a lot different than they have in the past, personally I thought it was a change for the best. // 9

Overall Impression: Underclass Hero is like no other album I have heard. the songs you might wanna check out are: Underclass hero, Walking Disaster, Speak Of The Devil, March Of the Dogs, Pull The Curtain, Best Of Me, and Confusion and Frustration In Modern Times. There many things that I liked about this album, but the new sound would have to be the highlight of the album. There was only one thing I didn't like about the album and it was that Brown Sound was missing. Overall, Underclass hero by Sum 41 is a must by of the summer. // 10

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Sum 41 has always been a favourite of mine. They have a punk rock/metal feel most of the time in their records. Something just really packs a punch when you listen to the '41. Like you just want to go crazy and swing your arm wildly in the air screaming the lyrics and pumping the strings on the air guitar. And it's really hit and miss for me. The first song, Underclass Hero, is a return to what you know Sum 41 is: a simple riff, heavy punk guitar and just plain-out madness. But the sound just goes up and down all over the record, from going to a rocker to a saddened teenager. Which doesn't help anybody really? a lot of songs to me seem to be a little generic. Which is disappointing because I wanted this new record to be something special after, what I think their first album they actually mixed it up, Chuck. Saying all that however, they really hit the nail on the head with some great acoustic songs like 'So Long Goodbye' and 'Dear Father', which have a lot of emotion and feeling. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, as you're probably aware if your a Sum 41 fan, aren't overly difficult but they do mostly pack a punch. Deryck has maybe dropped back into his comfort zone a little bit but still knows when the big notes are called for and comes through. Lyrics like 'Time passes by, Direction unknown. You've left us now, we're not alone.' in So Long Goodbye to those in Underclass Hero 'We're doing fine, and we don't need to be told, that we're here doing fine, 'cause we won't give you control.' It's nothing groundbreaking but if you're a fan of Sum 41, then you're already aware of what to expect and you'll already know if you like how he strings his lyrics together. // 8

Overall Impression: It was always going to be hard for The Sum after losing one major factor to the band; Dave Baksh. He brings a lot of passion to the band I feel. And I think they do miss him, musically, which is a shame. Is this album as good as what they've done in the past? Hard to say, I think the songs do eventually hit, but after a few to many misses. I don't think you could listen to this album on CD start to finish; the song layout just doesn't work. It'll definitely be more at home on the iPod where you can choose to be pumped up or slowly wind down. Songs like 'March Of The Dogs', 'Underclass Hero' which will get the blood pumping are a definite plus for me. This album is somewhere between 'All Killer, No Filler' and 'Chuck' but definitely leans towards the former. So I think while not instant winner, I think that it'll still be quite at home in next to your other Sum 41 albums, even if it's not in the CD player as much. // 8

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: -xCaMRocKx-, on august 13, 2007

Sound: After promising that their follow up to 2004's 'Chuck' would be a return to their punk roots reminiscent of 'All Killer No Filler', Sum 41's new album, 'Underclass Hero' is somewhat of a letdown. The loss of Lead guitarist Dave Brownsound Baksh, and the metal influences he brought to the mix is sorely missed, leaving the band with a somewhat more mellow sound. Though they can pull it off, this is not what you buy a Sum 41 album for, and by halfway through the album the sound becomes repetitive, and is on the borderline of boring. 'Underclass Hero' starts off strong, with it's title track, and first single. This upbeat punk track in the same vein as their breakthrough single 'Fat Lip', leaves us wanting more. Unfortunately, they are unable to deliver on this. Other highlights include 'Walking Disaster' in which lead singer Deryck Whibley sings about his childhood and growing up, and 'King of Contradiction', a thrash-punk number that gives us another glimpse at their previous 'All Killer No Filler' style. // 6

Lyrics: In the lyrics department, Deryck has definitely stepped up a level, and in collaboration with Steve and Cone, has been able to keep the level of original, well thought-out lyrics that Sum 41 are famous for. Deryck states that this album is very close to his heart in terms of lyrical content, and we can see that from tracks like 'Walking Disaster', 'Dear Father', and 'Best of Me,' which to me seems to be the most emotional song on the album. Deryck's voice excels on this album, and his ability to deliver his emotionally charged lyrics with a high level of sincerity and sentiment earn Sum 41 a high score in this section. // 8

Overall Impression: This is not conventional Sum 41. 'Underclass Hero' is a huge step away from their trademark hip-hop/metal infused punk rock style, and if you are after another 'Half Hour of Power' or 'All Killer No Filler', you will be very much disappointed. Lacking the great guitar solos and head banging riffs of previous releases, this album suffers greatly from the absence of Dave Baksh, resulting in a release that's full of good intentions, but is really unable to deliver the goods. // 6

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: blinkguitarist5, on august 13, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is a mix between All Killer No Filler, Chuck and Green Day's American Idiot. It is definitely not a concept record with a character that follows through each track, but the ideas and themes seem to carry throughout. They have gone back to their pop-punk roots but still have some hard rock/metal breakdowns like they did in "Chuck." This is also their first release since the departure of the lead guitarist Dave "Brownsound" Baksh. The songs guitar work is not deminished though, just not as many lead solos. Here is a breakdown of the tracks and my ratings: 01. Underclass Hero - this song reminds me a lot of Fat Lip and most of the songs from AKNF. It is the first single and great choice for an opening song. 02. Walking Disaster - the sound of this song starts out with an octave lead and piano. It talks about how Deryck's father left and he doesn't want to go back to an empty home. It's a great song and possibly the next single. Still a good pop/punk song but more mature. 03. Speak Of The Devil - starts out an a slow note, but builds in with pounding drums and guitar. A step up from Chuck and previous albums. Talks about Christ and about the faith of men. Very out of the ordinary for them. 04. Dear Father - a very hard song for Deryck to write. It's about how he never knew his father and how he doesn't know if he cares about him. Very good acoustic guitar work in this song. 05. Count Your Last Blessings - reminds me of My Chemical Romance's "Black Parade" sound, but it doesn't go in that direction too much. Fast chorus and piano lead in the verse. 06. Ma Poubelle - a song written by the drummer, Steve Jocz, and it is sung in French. Supposedly put on the record as a joke, and it's easy to see that it doesn't fit on this record. 07. March Of The Dogs - released as a downloadable track back in May to give a taste of the new album before it dropped, it is a very political song and is aimed at our president. It has drawn controversy from Rolling Stone magazine and it is a very punkish, upbeat song and is unlike anything they've done since AKNF. 08. The Jester - again, another political song aimed at Bush and how he uses his power for evil instead of good. Good music and background vocals. Good concept. 09. With Me - probably the best song on the record in my opinion, it is an acoustic song and has a powerful chorus. Most likely written by Deryck his wife Avril Lavigne, saying that he is nothing without her. Deryck shows his wide vocal range on this song. 10. Pull The Curtain - a coda from "With Me" and goes back into the rock groove. It talks about is inner struggles and sounds like the rest of the album. Another favorite of mine and also sort of sounds like Green Day. 11. King Of The Contradiction - a fast punk song with muffled vocals. I would give it a higher rating but it's a little short. I think this is the only song that Sum actually uses horns. 12. Best Of Me - probably another song for Avril. That doesn't take away from the song, because it is powerful. Slow, but powerful. 13. Confusion And Frustration In Modern Times - sounds like a song from Blink's Enema of the State era. A good fast song to put at the end of an album. 14. So Long, Goodbye - written for Dave and how he is missed by the band. They support what he is doing but hope all is well with him. They said they knew it was coming that he was leaving, but didn't want to believe it. An excellent acoustic closer. Kind of sad. 15. Look At Me (bonus track) - another acoustic song with good guitar work in the chorus. Deryck is actually a pretty skilled guitar player, even if Dave isn't in the band anymore. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have gotten much deeper, but still have the old Sum 41 resemblence. The lyrics go very well with the music. Most of them deal with inner struggle, Dave leaving the band, Deryck's new wife, how Deryck grew up without a father, and political matters. I didn't find a bad song on the entire record. In my opinion, this is their most original work and best album to date. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, this album resembles some of their earlier work, but not too closely. They really stepped out of the box on this one, and thought long and hard about where their band wanted to go. Steve's drum work is very impressive as well as Deryck's voice. My only complaint with this album is that you can barely hear Cone's bass work in almost every song. But basically all of their albums are that way. I will definetly pick up this record the day it is released because it is very good. If I lost that record, I would have to buy another copy. // 10

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Underclass Hero is the latest release from the (formerly foursome) now threesome Ajax Natives. After taking quite a liking to their last release "Chuck" I was really looking forward to this album. The band claims to have returned to their "Punk Rock Roots" and to be honest I can understand what they meant when they said this, however U.C.H. seems to have been made up of more reused material then your standard "Punk Rock" album. I know that the title track is a remake of the Chuck bonus track Subject to Change and that didn't bother me that much (Even though Subject to Change was a much more solid song). The problem with this album is that vocal melodies are repeated throughout several songs, for example "Walking Disaster" and "Dear Father" sound quite similar. Even the songs that don't resemble other tracks on this CD sometimes mimic singles from other bands. The chorus of "The Jester" is very reminiscent of "House of Wolves" by My Chemical Romance, "With Me" Sounds like "Only One" by Yellowcard and that's not all, infact the whole CD seems like it is a musical version of Frankenstein with bits and pieces taken from the recycling bin. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are very politically driven on this album and actually are probably the best aspect of Underclass Hero. While most songs stick to a social outcast kind of appeal there are some definitely well written songs about life in general and the classic love ballads. Deryek is a very talented singer and I am saddened to see that the melodies in this album aren't as original and creatively done as they could have been, because they overshadow the great lyrics he has written. One newer aspect of this album that I really take pleasure in is the inclusion of the piano to many more songs this time around; it really adds a lot more emotion and versatility to their sound. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of Sum 41's worst albums, but that isn't saying it's bad, they just had some really good ones before it. Infact if you haven't really listened to the band much before this you might find a lot of enjoyment in this album however, to the true fans it will be tough to appreciate Underclass Hero more then their previous releases. The best songs on the albums would be Walking Disaster With Me and So Long Goodbye. However those choices were made after only a few listens of the album, more songs may grow on me after some time. I think Sum 41 is a very solid band and are defiantly one of my favorites, so I hope they explore their sound more on their next albums. This album in general isn't horrible; it just doesn't feel as fresh and exciting as their previous releases. This album is defiantly one in which you must listen to for yourself to make a true opinion of however to me I feel as if it just doesn't live up to my high expectations. // 8

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2007

Sound: Guitar is a little simpler than chuck, but is just as catchy. Drums and Bass is just as good as all their other albums. Also in a few songs they use piano to replace daves absence on lead guitar. There are some solos but they usually follow the melodies and are a bit easier than on chuck. if you liked the metal sound of chuck most you probably should download it off limewire first. Some people say this sounds like green day or blink but the only big similarities are just from the pop punk/punk rock genre. The metal aspect from chuck is pretty much gone on this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are like a continuation of chuck and insult bush and are politacal (The Jester, March of The Dogs). Other lyrics are more personal there are a few love songs(such as with me)and the title track about individuality ("We don't need your control") and the song Dear Father is about deryck not knowing his father. the main concept is confusion and frustration in modern times. Deryck's singing is better than ever and is all on key. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion this album is their best yet and takes all the best from their past albums. It compares to every album in tis genre. The only thing missing is the metal-pop-punk sound (such as No Reason, 88, And Were All To Blame from Chuck). All the songs songs are good exept the joke track 'ma poubelle'. I wound say the best songs are Underclass Hero, Count Your Last Blessings, The Jester and Speak Of The Devil. If it were stolen, I wound buy it again imediatly. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Pr4nk5t3r, on august 14, 2007

Sound: Well, this album was expected to be different as Dave left the band. But the question remained: how will they sound like now? The answer is given. This album is the most emotional Sum 41 has released so far and I like it. For the first time I can say: almost every track on this album has feelings attached to it otherwise than anger or just having fun. It's all about Deryck because he's always been the songwriter of the band, but this one is really personal. The best music construction yet. Every song delivers the feeling it should. // 9

Lyrics: Probably the best lyrics they've done so far. Like the feeling, the lyrics fit. I was expecting this already because Deryck was getting better with every record. Bizzy-D is singing better than ever. Watch them live and you'll have the proof, it's not studio tools. // 9

Overall Impression: "Dear Father" remembers me of "Adams Song" from Blink 182, but it's so hard to write a song with a purpose as this one. Every fan must know what I'm talking about. I think it's a great song. "Count Your Last Blessings" may look similar to some Linkin Park songs at the beginning, but I prefer this one to any of LP so, whatever. One of my favourite songs. "The Jester" and "With Me" are also amazing songs. The second one delivers the feeling in an amazing way. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again, for sure. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: pyritmann, on august 18, 2007

Sound: Sum 41's style has changed a great bit since the album "Chuck". Underclass Hero sounds a lot more like their old stuff such as "Half Hour of Power" and "Does This Look Infected". They really seem to take sounds from a lot of other punk bands such as Green Day and Blink 182. Their Single "underclass hero" has a striking resemblance to some of their earlier singles such as "phat lip" and "The Hell Song" but it was a solid starting single and opening track. The Guitar was mainly basic power chords and punk lines, bass was fairly unhearable I found. The best job intrumentally goes to stevo on the drums. He played a very solid album all the way through. Sum 41's guitarist Dave left the band and that really influenced the direction of the band. in "Chuck" they gained a much more metal sound than their previous albums, but in "Underclass Hero" they strayed away from that sound and back to their punk pop roots. // 4

Lyrics: The single "Underclass hero" was written by Stevo the drummer of Sum 41, while all of the other lyrics were done by Derek Whibley. The lyrics were mainly poltical and anti- "the system" or whatever you choose to call it. very meaningfull but very repetitive lyrics I found. Like most punk albums this song had several love songs of course which I personally thought was their best work. The lyrics worked very good with their music because the lyrics were mainly written by the guitarist and vocalist which means Derek could make the songs exactly how they were written to be. Derek's lyrics were very well sung by him and vocals I'd say were the silver lining of this album, though overall the lyrics were lacking. // 7

Overall Impression: For me personally, (Being a huge Sum 41 fan) this album was a major disapointment. Sum 41 really needed Dave in this album to be a little critical on the musical part of it. Derek said himself "I am not a guitar player" which is exactly why they needed dave for this album. The best songs of the album I would say are "Walking Disaster." "March of the Dogs", and With me. They were my personal favorites though I'm sure many would disagree. I love the drumming on this album but I hate the guitar. If this album was stolen I would not pay the 12 bucks to get it back. I almost gave away the copy I do have to a friend. The Pop/Punk fan will really enjoy this album, however I am a fan of the album chuck and All killer no filler, and even their first albums were not as girly as this one. I think Derek should stop listening to his wife so much and start listening to Dave. // 5

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 26, 2007

Sound: With the sad departure of lead guitarist Dave "Brownsound" Baksh, I will say I had a few doubts about wether or not this album would make the cut. I was pleasently surprised. While the guitaring was not as complex as it was with other songs such as "In too deep" and "The bitter end" it still sounded very good and catchy. Cones bass was still good backup, and Steve-O's drumming was fantastic. // 9

Lyrics: Deryck took an interesting turn with his lyrics, touching down on more personal issues. In the song "Dear Father" he talks about how his dad left, and he doesn't know who he is ("You're just a name without a face" "I know you as complete unknown"). They still had that awesome liberal tone in songs like Underclass Hero, March of the Dogs, and The Jester. He also had a romantic tone in With Me, which is rumored to have been built off of a poem for his wife, Avril. He says "I don't want this moment to ever end where everything's nothing without you." Which gives it a very sweet, loving feel to it. Overall, fantastic singing. Derycks voice is still amazing and harmonic. // 9

Overall Impression: According to other albums, it was a bit softer, not as hard-rock-ish. My personal favorites on the album are Underclass Hero, March of the Dogs, The Jester, With Me, and Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times. They are some of the most memorable songs on the album. I love how they still kept a punk-like sound, with the lack of a guitarist. The lyrics are still memorable and harmonic, and it's overall great. Nothing I didn't like about it. If I lose it, I would most definitely buy it again, without hesitation. Pick up this album as soon as you can. // 10

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: Tster, on september 26, 2007

Sound: Sum 41 is an awesome band. Underclass Hero is their first album released with Brownsound and does it show? a little. When I think of Sum 41 I think of destortion, funny lyrics and great solos. This CD had changed my idea of what Sum 41 is on about. Don't get me wrong this is still a great album but it's not there best album. A few of the songs a political, well actually most are political in someway or the other but don't let that ruin it for you this CD is wickid. There are still the songs which make you rock your head and have a great time like 'Underclass Hero' and 'March Of The Dogs' but there are slow harmonizing songs throughout the album like 'Dear Father'. All they're doing is changing their music slightly so all the albums don't sound the same. // 9

Lyrics: Politcal is the main thing when it comes to lyircs and this album. Deryck's vocal skills are literally awesome, his voice is great and really suits every track. Their is some backing vocals from Cone in a few tracks which really adds to the feel on the song. // 9

Overall Impression: This isn't their best album. Straight-out not their best album but that doesn't make the album crap either. I like every track on the album, what else do you need? but still the stand-out tracks have gotta be Underclass Hero, Walking Disaster, Speak Of The Devil, March Of The Dogs, With Me, Pull The Curtain, Best Of Me, Confusion And Fustration In Modern Times, So Long Goodbye and No Apologies)Bonus Track). Which is a large majority of the album. Sum 41 still rock hard and I'd deffiantly buy this CD again if I had to. // 9

Underclass Hero Reviewed by: defiance64, on october 12, 2007

Sound: Great album. The first song titled "Underclass Hero" was actually a demo bonus track to the 2004 album Chuck. "Subject To Change" sound familiar to anyone? "Underclass Hero is a way that Deryck's inner-feeling was shown musically," says drummer, Stevo. Songs like Walking Disaster, and Dear Father, describe Deryck's (Biz's) emotion towards his father and mother. Underclass Hero, and March of the Dogs, are two songs that describe how DW (Deryck Whibley) feels towards politics, and other things that address Government. The rest of the songs are like what they used to do. The song doesn't feature multiple genre's like Chuck did. Dave Brownsound leaves the Sum 41 crew and is replaced by a touring guitarist. This simply means that the touring guitarist will not be featured in music videos, commercials, or other types of cinemas recorded by the band. // 9

Lyrics: 01. Underclass Hero - Address' Deryck Whibley's feeling toward politice and it's a great CD intro too. The title track so that's cool as well. Buy it by itself if you have to. 02. Walking Disaster - the second single off of the album. He talks about being an outcast right here and all the bad things he's been put through on this track. 03. Speak Of The Devil - this song has a bad melody part going into the chorus it's off-key. Get this song only with the album if you ask me. 04. Dear Father - great song no two ways about it! You have got to get this song when you can work up a dollar! The highest recommended track off of the whole CD. 05. Count Your Last Blessings - this is the third single from Underclass Hero if I'm not mistaken, I love it. 06. Ma Poubelle - you have to know french to understand this song but it is about talking so much trash about his mother. 07. March Of The Dogs - address' the politics deal again. 08. The Jester - I have no idea what this song is talking about. 09. With Me - really good song but the end takes too long. I would recommend this song but you have to reset the track so you don't have to wait like 30 seconds. 10. Pull The Curtain - the post-chorus is the best part of this song "The only and only day has come, I pay for all the bad things I've done" everyone should accept Christ in other words. 11. King Of Contradiction - not long enough, but still I love it, it's the hardest Punk Song on the CD I recommend buying this one alone if you don't have the money for the CD. I love it so much. You can get it for a small 99c off iTunes, why don't you get it? 12. Best Of Me - a little too much alike With Me 3/5. I would much rather get With Me instead. 13. Confusion And Frustration In Modern Times - love this song so much if you listen to it you're going to keep listening to it for a while. You'll lose track of time. 14. So Long Goodbye - great ending song. All Sum 41's CD's end with a good acoustic song. I love it and I recommend getting this song from iTunes or buy the CD for it. 15. Untitled - Not the best song, that's all there is to it. // 8

Overall Impression: Unlike other albums by Sum 41 that seem plagairized from songs like: System Of A Down, Metallica, Fall Out Boy, and more, this song doesn't have too much copying in it. Listen to The Hell Song by Sum 41, then listen to The Pros and Cons of Breathing by Fall Out Boy, and you'll see some plagirism. // 10

More Sum 41 reviews rating latest review