I Wish I Would Never Wake Up Review

Sun Devoured Earth: I Wish I Would Never Wake Up
Released: Jan 19, 2011
Genre: Depressive Black Metal/Shoegaze/Post-Rock
Label: Rigorism Production
It is emotion-filled stuff, unusual in our current music industry. "I Wish I Would Never Wake Up" is a masterpiece. Every musician and music lover should give it a try, it's a must have.
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
I Wish I Would Never Wake Up Reviewed by: dante., on august 11, 2011

Sound: Shoegaze? Post-rock? Depressive Black Metal? Well, I will not actually waste time trying to label Sun Devoured Earth, nevertheless I might say (if you're curious) it's a mix of the three genres I just said; But, it is emotion-filled stuff, unusual in our current music industry. Sun Devoured Earth, is a solo project created by Vadim Vasilyev, who apparently suffers strong nostalgia, sadness, pain and maybe depression. He doesn't share lyrics, soon as it is too personal for him, but song's titles say it all: "The Great Self-Loathing Song" and "Where's The Reset Button" gives you a sample of his inner world and thoughts. It's all deep and pretty sad, but like every sad music, it can heal you... Or break you apart. Vadim plays bass, guitar, sing and program the drums. A lot of delay is used on every instrument (and vocals), creating a great echo effect. Its atmosphere is really rich in musical terms, the same for his technique on every instrument; High pitched screams with clean vocals (at the same time) are very used in this album, and it sounds awesome though. // 8

Lyrics: Vadim do not share lyrics soon as it is too personal for him. Therefore, I could understand a bit what he says, and it is basically about pain, grief, nostalgia and sadness. I'm not sure about the reason he suffers so much. The lyrics fits very well the music; Melancholic instrumental atmosphere with shrieks, clean vocals, whispers and even speeches can be easily noticed. About his singing technique and skills, I wouldn't say it's too much; Some wrong notes prejudice the song in my personal opinion. // 7

Overall Impression: "I Wish I Would Never Wake Up" is a masterpiece. I don't want to mess it up labeling it, because good music is good music! Every musician and music lover should give it a try, it's a must have. // 9

Comments