Diary Review

sunny day real estate: Diary
Release Date: 1994
Label: Sub Pop
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock, Emo
Sunny Day Real Estate's debut album, Diary, virtually defined emo in the '90s, laying much of the groundwork (along with Weezer) for the genre's end-of-decade indie prominence.
 9.9
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Diary Reviewed by: MattDaviesFFAF, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Sunny Day Real Estate are one of the most well known '90s emo band. Emo as in not From First To Last, Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance but proper emotional hardcore. And this is their most widely known album. The sound is imense. Emotion filled vocals, nice post-hardcore guitar that goes from quiet to loud in the blink of an eye, franticly busy drumwork and very good production. // 10

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics, though very minimal, never cease to send a shiver down my spine. Jeremy Enigk is excellent, both lyrically and vocally. The lyrics and music mix like beans and honey (a good thing, I assure you). // 10

Overall Impression: This album spawned millions of copy-cat bands such as Mineral and Eliot (both of who are excellent) but it trumps them all. Highlights from the album would be In Circles, Seven, Song About An Angel And Shadows but this album must be heard as a whole to be fully appreciated. I love almost everything about this album. Actually, seeing as I cannot think of anything I don't like about it let's say I love everything about it. if it was lost or stolen I would get it again for sure and I would sit beside the door waiting for it to be delivered (it's kinda hard to get so I reccomend ebay). So, an excellent album by an excellent band. Definitely the album I'd reccomend new fans to get followed up by LP2/Sunny Day Real Estate. // 10

Comments