Unlimited Review

susperia: Unlimited
Released: Jun 29, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
What is the most amazing part is the melodic aspect of Susperia. An aspect that is amazingly beautiful and yet still maintains its hard edge.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Unlimited Reviewed by: LeoKhenir, on may 11, 2005

Sound: Susperia. The mere name does most likely not ring a bell, and if I put ut the names/pseudonyms for all the members in the band, you probably wouldn't know them, except maybe their drummer - Tjodalv, as he was one of the founders of Norwegian black metal legends Dimmu Borgir. I first heard the speedy and intense extreme metal (they are kinda hard to categorize, they span from trash to death) when I was invited to a gig that they headlined with my cousin's band as one of the warm-ups (I have a pretty close relationship with my cousin, we are the same age, dig the same kind of music and live pretty close to each other) and was completely blown away. I knew I had to get some of their records, and here I am, about 2 months after I got my "Unlimited" record. It rocks. From the catchy and mind-staying opening riff of "Chemistry" to the stayer sing-along lyrics of "Off The Grid" ("Are you one of those people/that still believe the unicorn exists/You're officially off the grid") to the acoustic intro of "Mind Apart" to the closer, "Untouched." I play it at least a couple of times each week (I fit it in between Thulsa Doom, Damageplan and my guitar-playing) and I keep loving it. Amazing sound, good production (as one could expect when a record comes from Tabu Records) and skilled musicians. Not their first record, and surely not their last. // 10

Lyrics: Singer Athera makes a good job, and he spans from deep growling to crisp clean voice, which to this day amazes me. Drummer Tjodalv is a mean machine - he plays the drums, he doesn't pound them. The guitar section, with Cyrus on lead, Elvorn on rhytm and Memnock on bass does an impressive job creating heavy blast riffs and mellow intermission riffs that gives a good impression. The lyrics are disturbingly dark, as one could expect from this type of band - Actually it's the first "dark metal" record I've seen with a white cover. The lyrics are, as I said, dark and misanthropic, but yet again they are easy to catch, and they very easy stay on your brain. I find myself humming the chorus of both "Chemistry" and "Devil May Care" all the time. // 10

Overall Impression: With the drummer that they have, a comparing to Dimmu Borgir would seem inevitable. However, DB and Susperia have such a different sound to them that I cannot compare them. I would put Susperia along with In Flames, Soilwork and such bands, since that is more their kind of music. After first listening, "Chemistry" struck me as the record's best track. I sadly own no other records by them, but I've seen them live, and their other material is also quite good. After having had it for two months, "Chemistry" still is the best track off the record, but "Devil May Care," "Home Sweet Hell" and "Mind Apart" also get played alot around my house. Of course, this is a "yes or no"-record. That means either you like it, or you don't. If you do like this type of music, there's no reason not to get it, and if you don't like this type of music, there's no reason to get it. If I somehow lost this record (unlikely) I would get a new one, definitively. If someone stole it, I'd find them, steal it back and replace it with a Britney Spears CD that I would steal from someone else. // 10

Comments