Emerald Forests And The Blackbird Review

swallow the sun: Emerald Forests And The Blackbird
Released: Feb 1, 2012
Genre: Melodic Doom Metal
Label: Spinefarm Records
"Emerald Forest And The Blackbird" is the fifth studio album by Finnish melodic doom metal band Swallow The Sun. The album really shines lyrically and it really has expanded to a whole new dimension on the instrumental side!
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Emerald Forests And The Blackbird Reviewed by: tume, on april 26, 2012

Sound: As some of you might know, Swallow The Sun is known for its gloomy, melodic doom metal. During the years the band has took some steps to a little softer direction. This album is (in my opinion) a bit softer than earlier albums of the band and this album has even less 'fast parts' than the album "New Moon" has (I'm not saying that I don't like it). The lyrics on the other hand are still as dark and gloomy as ever. This album sounds really unique and it has a nice mix of clean parts and some really dark and heavy parts. Most of the songs are pretty long which is typical for this kind of music. This album has clearly been put a lot of work (and money) on it and you can really hear it. // 8

Lyrics: Even though the main inspiration for this album was a Finnish lullaby, this might not be the perfect lullaby for your children but for a metal head like me it would just do! The lyrics of "Emerald Forests And The Blackbird" are well written and they fit to this stuff perfectly, Mikko does a great job on the vocals, He seems to get better and better by every album, not to mention that this album also features Nightwish singer Anette Olzon on the song "Cathedral Walls" and the Swedish singer Aleah on some songs of the album. So I guess this album won't leave you cold on the vocals. On the vocal side of the album my favourites besides the title track would be "Hearts Wide Shut" and "Labyrinth Of London". // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the previous STS album, "New Moon", this album is a huge step forward. The album really shines lyrically and it really has expanded to a whole new dimension on the instrumental side! The title track of the album is my absolute favourite from this album and I think it pretty much summarizes what the album has to offer. I actually don't have much to hate about this album. If I had money, I would already had bought the LP version of this album and if my CD was stolen I'd buy a new one. If you liked the Swallow The Sun of "New Moon" album you'll probably like this album too.. Even though this album is much different but it still has the typical sound of Swallow The Sun. // 9

More Swallow The Sun reviews rating latest review