The Legend Of Chin Review

switchfoot: The Legend Of Chin
Release Date: Jun 17, 1997
Label: re:Think
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Alternative CCM
It would probably be wiser to purchase one of the group's other albums as a starting point instead, since this one is so aimless.
 8.9
 9.2
 8.5
The Legend Of Chin Reviewed by: Switchfoot555, on november 15, 2007

Sound: June 18, 1997 is the day "The Legend Of Chin" came out (the day my little brother was born). I was 3 years old when this came out, but I've listened to them and loved this band that long. The first song you hear is "Bomb" which has incredible sounds and music in which I tabbed but can't get right. "Chem 6A" is a fun sounding song. I love the words because that's me with school. It is a song that you can listen to for a long time and still crave. "Underwater", "Edge of My Seat", "Might Have Ben Hur", and "Concrete Girl" are about girls, but they'er more like fables. "Home" and "You" are more Christian songs than the others. "Life And Love And Why", "Ode To Chin", and "Don't Be There" are the first look into what they're future songs would be like. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as good as their new music, but is great for a debut album. "Chem 6A" is the best song on the album. It's what 99% of teens are like. "Don't be There" is a wounderful song if you like to listen to the poetry of music. In overall, the albums lyrics aren't as great as the newer ones, but still in a way rock. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, the album shows the flavor switchfoot displays. I favor this album more than most of the others because this album is the roots of their band. I love this whole album and there's no way I wouldn't buy the album again if I had lost it or it was stolen. I wish at least some their newer songs had this same flavor. // 10

The Legend Of Chin Reviewed by: aenimafist, on december 24, 2008

Sound: Before Switchfoot added two more members to the band, their sound was a lot more traditional and conservative and thus the San Diego trio, as it was at the time, concieved the Legend of Chin. The title has absolutely nothing to do with the lyrics which is a bit disappointing but there are some wierd pictures in the booklet. The earlier Switchfoot material isn't as heavy as the later stuff but even their strictly acoustic arrangements have quite a bit of intrigue. Chem 6A, track one ids my favorite Switchfoot song and it is fun to play on guitar. You is good song as well as Don't Be There being a great way to end a record. // 9

Lyrics: Tim Foreman's vocal style hasn't changed a whole lot since the old days but he sings like a more traditional Adult alternative vocalist on Legend of Chin. His best performances are on You, Chem 6A, Might Hve Ben Hur and Concrete Girl. Tim Foreman sings with a lot of emotion and demonstrates his skill at it on this record. The lyrical themes should have had a more various concept than just a failing person in a dying world and the encouragement to do good on Earth, but it was solid anyway. // 8

Overall Impression: The later Switchfoot material is definately better than Chin, that's for sure. The arrangements are very very simplistic on this record and I wish they had been a little more in depth than they were. Still it is an easy album to listen to when you are on the road or if you are into the obscure genre of adult contemporary. This is the way to go if you are like that. I still recommend Beautiful Letdown over this though. The best songs are You, Chem 6A, Concrete Girl, and Don't Be There. // 8

More Switchfoot reviews rating latest review
+ Fading West 6.2 01/20/2014