Barrett Review

syd barrett: Barrett
Release Date: Nov 1970
Label: Capitol
Genres: British Psychedelia, Psychedelic Pop, Psychedelic
Barrett is the second solo album, joining The Madcap Laughs as a solid representation of Barrett's innate tunefulness and bizarre, surrealist imagery.
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Barrett Reviewed by: apples&oranges, on april 28, 2006

Sound: "Barrett," which was released in 1970 a few months after "The Madcap Laughs" is a true classic to all Syd Barrett fans alike. It does not have any of that 'rawness' that "The Madcap Laughs" had (though The Madcap Laughs was a tremendous solo album). It is more organized and mellow with tracks such as "Love Song" and "Wined And Dined." It was the perfect way to close an all too short music career, which kind of makes me sad it was that brief. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Baby Lemonade - a standout track and a great, great song. Awesome guitar intro that shows what Syd Barrett could have and would have been if he had stayed off of the acid. 02. Love Song - a wonderful song that is un-syd. A sure classic in the Syd Barrett legacy. 03. Dominoes - possibly the best Syd Barrett song ever. Very disturbing lyrics that linger throughout, making it very hypnotic. A true Syd Barrett song which will forever live, long after Syd is gone. 04. It Is Obvious - my favorite song by Syd. A flowing, mind boggling song. It always makes me wonder what he means when he uses the odd lyrical phrases, such as, "wood on quarry stood, each of us crying, the velvet curtain of gray marked the blanket where sparows play". It does'nt get much better than this. 06. Rats - an odd song. A great intro and an even better outro. A typical Syd Barrett track. 07. Maisie - a bluesy riff to open, but eventually turns into madness when Syd starts talking and chatting with himself. 08. Gigolo Aunt - in my top 3 of favorite Syd Barrett solo songs. A wonderful tune to listen to when feeling down. A standout track without question. A happy, joyous song. 09. Waving My Arms In The Air - another happy song, just like Gigolo Aunt. It's a wonderful, wonderful song, but when it eventually segues into "I Never Lied To You", it gets even better. 10. I Never Lied To You - the best part of this track is the piano-driven Rick Wright who totally makes this song worthwhile. Some of the best lyrics Syd ever came up with in my opinion. 11. Wined And Dined - another standout track. A very relaxing, psychedelic tune that reminds me of summer and how the wind feels just before it starts to rain. 12. Wolfpack - this is supposedly Syd's favorite song that he made during his solo career and I really cant blame him for liking it so much because it is truly, good. 13. Effervescing Elephant - a short, but sweet song. One of Syd's earliest, written when he was just a teen. Very cool and whimsy. A fan favorite. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest albums ever released in my opinion. It sums Syd Barrett up on tracks such as "Baby Lemonade," "Wined And Dined" and "Dominoes" because they contain his startingly original psychedelic feel. If it were stolen from me, I would buy it again for sure. It relates to "The Madcap Laughs" in a sense, but it is a one-of-a-kind album. The standouts are, "Dominoes," "Baby Lemonade," "Gigolo Aunt" and "Wolfpack" but every song is key in making this album what it is, outstanding. // 10

More Syd Barrett reviews rating latest review