Opel Review

syd barrett: Opel
Release Date: Apr 1989
Label: Capitol
Genres: Psychedelic, Psychedelic Pop, British Psychedelia, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
With 14 tracks spanning 1968 to 1970, including six alternate takes and eight songs that had never been officially released in any form, it is equally as essential as his two 1970 LPs.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Opel Reviewed by: apples&oranges, on may 17, 2006

Sound: "Opel," which was released in 1988, long after Syd Barrett was out of the music buisness, is an album that features outtakes from "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" sesssions. It is a decent album to say the least. If it had featured more unreleased material such as the forgotten, "Living Alone," it would have made this album far better than it already is. It has many good outtakes and different studio versions nonetheless. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Opel - one of Syd's masterpieces. The chord segment in the middle section is truly haunting along with the rather disturbing lyrics. The lyrics make me think, 'Who is he talking about?' Possibly Syd's best guitar work, chord wise, that has ever been released. 02. Clowns And Jugglers (Octopus) - this is a more electric version of the spectacular song "Octopus" from Madcap. It features more organ, drums, and bass which is all done by The Soft Machine. 03. Rats - this is the same version of "Rats" from the Barrett album, but without the overdubs. It is still cool though just to hear what the un-overdubbed version sounds like. 04. Golden Hair - this version of "Golden Hair" is actually better than the Madcap version in my opinion, but I'm not a big fan of "Golden Hair" to begin with. 05. Dolly Rocker - this is a track that should have been on Madcap, if I do say so myself. Its a great track deep down that would have and could have been better if the necessary overdubs would have been done. A good tune anyways. 06. Word Song - this song is nothing but Syd with a guitar saying words while playing. It is a great track though. The guitar work is great and the mumbling of the words make this song worthwhile. Cool song. 07. Wined And Dined - this is a different version of "Wined And Dined." This is all acoustic without overdubs and it seems to be more relaxed than the Barrett version. 08. Swan Lee (Silas Lang) - "Swan Lee" is a Native-American song which is actually better than I expected it to be. It reminds me of cowboys and indians days on a railroad in the 1800's, and if a song can make me think about that again, it has to be pretty good. 09. Birdie Hop - a pretty cool song that is in the top three tracks off of this album. Its a whimsy song, which is typical Syd. 10. Let's Split - a wonderful song that would be better if it were longer and had overdubs. Has the studio talking and page flipping throughout which kind of messes it up in a way. 11. Lanky (Part 1) - an instrumental freak out, kind of like "Intersteller Overdrive" but not as good. 12. Wouldn't You Miss Me (Dark Globe) - a great version of the raw Madcap song "Dark Globe". The Madcap version is still better in my opinion because it has the rawness in it. A great tune though. 13. Milky Way - a decent song which is pretty cool. Not very different though. 14. Golden Hair (instrumental) - I actually like this song better than the lyrical version of "Golden Hair". A bizarre instrumental that sounds very, very strange but is very attracting at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: "Opel", overall, is very successful and worthy. If it were stolen from me, I would definetly but another. Its worth the money just for the songs, "Opel", "Clowns and Jugglers (Octopus)", and "Swan Lee (Silas Lang)". It does not relate to any other album in the Syd Barrett or Pink Floyd collection. The best tracks are "Opel", "Clowns and Jugglers (Octopus)", "Swan Lee (Silas Lang)" and "Birdie Hop". A great compilation album that should have featured more unreleased material. // 10

More Syd Barrett reviews rating latest review