Conclusion Of An Age Review

Lyrics: 8.3
 9.4
 9.7
Conclusion Of An Age Reviewed by: AlexBristolUK, on march 23, 2010

Sound: Sylosis have been described as mixing sub genres of metal like Epic Death, Thrash, and Melodic to make something of their own. Personally, I'm not much of a metal connoisseur, but I know what I like when I hear it. And I like this, a lot. It is uncompromisingly brutal throughout; an unabated barrage of gnarly riffs, absurd fills and soul shattering screams. Yet in spite of this, it is more catchy than AIDS could ever dream of being. There are very few passages that are sung, and the guitar work is constantly progressive, backed by an incredible drummer who somehow manages to keep up with ease. I think the key to this is the fact that the band play their music in E standard tuning, which means where in other metal you might hear a chugging open drop C chord for the majority of a song, here you'll get an E, and the higher tuning manages to really bring the melody to life. And there's lots of it, too. Too many guitarists can shred the shit out of their guitars, but Josh is one of the only guys I've heard manage to do it and make it effortlessly melodic. Solos of this speed and technicality should not be stuck in your head for days, and yet, for instance, the first solo from Withered will lodge itself in your brain and refuse to budge. In essence, Sylosis have taken all the brutality of metal, and turned it into something truly musical. A final note here... the production is awesome. Of course. // 10

Lyrics: I've read in numerous places that the lyrics have a lot to do with how human beings are f--king up the earth, but that the earth will eventually prevail over us all. Sounds a little bit dark I suppose? Well clearly it is. But to be quite honest, the vocalist for this band could probably write about fairies and it'd still make me want to go out and stab people. One of my favourite lyrics here is from Oath of Silence: 'But unlike the hand of Midas, all you touch will turn to shit'. However, its not just the lyrics, which in my opinion are excellent, but the delivery. The screams are delivered in an unfaltering manner which effortlessly combines the brutality you'd expect with the clarity you wouldn't, and on the rare occasions where you hear singing, you will be shocked. The voice is deep, booming and mournful. It is simply epic. I'll give this section a 9 because I need this review to get published, people need to hear about this band. As a reason for the missing point... Perhaps a little more singing would be a good thing. That said, this is one of the only bands I thoroughly enjoy with only screamed vocals; I normally prefer either an even mix or predominantly sung vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: Ahhh my favourite bit of reviewing. The bit where I don't have to much description and instead can just bang on about how much I love this album. As I've mentioned before, whilst I enjoy and regularly listen to metal, I'm not a conoisseur. Even so, this is my very favourite album at the moment, of any genre, and certainly will be my favourite metal album until they release their follow up at some point this year. A brief run down... The album opens, of course, with the obligitory instrumental intro, which actually does set the tone for the whole album. In fact, parts of the refrain here are featured in sections later in the album, bringing the work together. Okay forget the run down. My highlights here are Teras, Withered, Stained Humanity and Oath of Silence. Each of these songs really exeplify to me exactly what this band are about. Chugging, progressive riffs with ear piercing vocals that get stuck in your head. From the awesome galloping verses of Withered through the epic breakdown of Oath of Silence and out the other side to the outro of Teras. I defy you not to rock out each and every time you hear this. There isn't much I hate about this, but I have to at least try answer the questions the review template asks, and I appreciate I can't write a 10/10/10 review. If I were to downgrade it on anything, it'd be the songs that don't have an immediately catchy riff in. But myself I can find something I love in every song. I honestly urge everyone to check these guys out. They are one of the most underrated bands out there at the moment and they deserve to be absolutely huge. They are tunefully brutal, and there aren't enough bands like them. They prove that metal doesn't have to be a mess, and manage to keep it as progressive as is melodically possible. If you do go out to buy this album, you'll likely see a sticker on the front of the CD making the seemingly bold claim that they are the UK's tightest live band. I saw them live this month and I can honeslty say, that claim is not remotely bold. They were flawless. I had waited for some of the moments from that gig for the past several months, such as the afforementioned breakdown from Oath of Silence, and I can say I was the very opposite of disappointed. It was as of the album was playing through the PA but with infinitely more power. Just incredible. Never mind this review. It is of utmost importance that you hear this band, now. The joy of youtube means there are no excuses! Finally, for anyone about to comment and say that their EP, The Supreme Opressor, was better... I've heard it. Its freaking awesome. But its not as good as Conclusion of an Age. Everyone progresses every day, and I have no doubt the next Sylosis album will be even more incredible than this one. I apologise for giving a 'shining review', UG staff, but this really is the best Metal album I've ever heard. No problem :) UG staff // 10

Conclusion Of An Age Reviewed by: Pretty_Much, on october 31, 2008

Sound: Everything I've heard from Sylosis has been impressive, but this release makes them even more incredible. They are kind of a mixture of All That Remains and Trivium. This is their first full-length CD (other releases are EP's). I didn't find out that they were releasing a new album until about a month ago (due to the lack of popularity). But with Conclusion of An Age, I'm sure their popularity will rise. Along with the help of their new record label, Nuclear Blast. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in Conclusion of An Age are pretty interesting and well written. The main theme of the album is about "the direction in which the planet is heading and the consequences humanity will face." The album does go over other areas, but the main subject is "the idea of mankind destroying itself through war, self-indulgence, religion etc., and how the earth is being ravaged by humanity to the point of being destroyed but how the earth's might will eventually prevail!"- Jamie (vocalist). But as for the vocal skills itself are impressive. Jamie covers a lot of the metal-genre type vocals and does it extremely well. // 8

Overall Impression: Conclusion of An Age is Sylosis' best work yet. Some of my favorite songs are After Lifeless Years, The Blackest Skyline, and The Last Remaining Light. Guitars are amazing, sweet drumming, some beefy bass, and intense vocals; They all come together to make one hell of an album. If it were stolen, of course I would buy it again! And I hope Sylosis' popularity grows and they get the attention they deserve. // 9

Conclusion Of An Age Reviewed by: MetalFan09, on july 16, 2010

Sound: Sylosis are an english metal band whose sound has been described under genres such metalcore, prog metal and death metal. They definetely take elements form all of these styles but I think there genre overall would mostly likely be progressive thrash. In Conclusion Of An Age, you can hear many genres of metal, and influences, which would mainly come form older metal bands, with slayer certainly being one of them.Certain aspects of the Sylosis 'formula' could be thought of as old school: the band use standard turning on every song and downt play breakdowns, which are often repetitively heard in metalcore. The album is packed with heavy but catchy riffs and lots of memorable melodies. The best song on this album in my opinion is 'Teras' due to the main riff which runs through the song and the technical solo, which displays many techniques and shows off guitarist(and now vocalist) Josh Middletons abilities as a player, but doesn't drag on too long. The title track and 'Reflections Through Fire' are also two more exceptional songs. // 9

Lyrics: Conclusion of an Age isnt a concept album as such but many of the songs seem to relate to the theme of an apocalyptic event and the death of the planet with lyrics such as 'the nations crumbling to ash'(Teras) and 'oceans will rise, erasing all we know'(Withered). The music definetely fits the dark lyrics, although occasionaly there are more uplifting moments. Vocalist Jamie Grahams' performance is very strong throughout, mainly staying to death metal style growls but also showing a more melodic and powerful singing voice in the choruses of some songs which makes Sylosis stand out form other bands. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would say Conclusion Of an Age is near perfect album which doesn't fit into any one specific metal genre, whcih is part of the bands appeal. There are prog, thrash, melodeath and hardcore elements to the general sound, which makes this a fresh and exciting album in todays metal scene. Every song is worth listening to and anyone who is looking for a metal band that plays heavy, catchy, original and melodic metal should look no further than Sylosis. I think these guys could definetely be one of the top metal bands around in a few years time if they continue to make albums like this. Get it in your collection. // 9

Conclusion Of An Age Reviewed by: TheBrightBeast, on february 04, 2011

Sound: Sylosis.. what an interesting band they are. Easy to categorise, but difficult to do it precisely. Some say thrash, some say metalcore, some say melodeath. But what they certainly are is a very, very talented and skilled band. There is not a single dull song on this album, from 'Desolate Seas' through to 'Oath of Silence,' every sound in this spectacular album provides a 100% awesome listening experience. The music itself sounds, to me, quite like a (much) more melodic version of Lamb of God, with some clean vocals added in a few songs, and the harsh vocals themselves being less distorted and more understandable than that of the American band. Nevertheless, there are blatant influences from both metalcore and melodic death metal, which does work fantastically. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in 'Conclusion of an Age' are very dark, with the core subject matter being on how the earth reclaims itself from us humans. As a result, you could say that this album is very misanthropic, lyrically. However, this fits extremely well with the music, which, for the most part is pretty brutal, with chugging riffs and string-breaking solos. (Teras sweeps) The singer himself (Jamie Graham for this release, but now Josh Middleton) also complies to the furious drumming and riffage with vocals which wouldn't work in death metal, but are too brutal for metalcore. Occasional cleans are thrown into the mix too, which I would like to see more of, but in most cases, the vocals and lyrics are a positive of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: 'Conclusion of an Age' may be one of the best albums in it's (sub sub) genre, In my opinion, tracks 5 through to 9 are the strongest on the album, (Reflections Through Fire, Conclusion of an Age, Swallow the World, Teras and Withered.) So much so, that all of those songs are in my 'Top 25 most played' on my iTunes (Reflections Through Fire losing out a number one spot to Amon Amarth's 'Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags') Despite this, I must make it clear that whilst there are no weak tracks on the album, you should listen only if you like harsh vocals, as without liking the vocals, the impact and power of this masterpiece can be lost. The only negatives of this album are some of the riffs sound very similar in a few songs, and the fact that I can't play most of their stuff! Overall: Just a legitimately amazing release. A true masterpiece in this declining age of metal. // 9

More Sylosis reviews rating latest review
+ Monolith 9.2 02/22/2013