Hypnotize Review

system of a down: Hypnotize
Release Date: Nov 22, 2005
Label: Sony
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Hard Rock
Hypnotize is the perfect blend of blazing screaming crazyness that was present in their self-titled effort and Toxicity, and the more safisticated blazing screaming crazyness that was Mezmerize.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.9
 8.8
Hypnotize Reviewed by: nineinch9, on november 14, 2005

Sound: The short story, System Of A Down have written one of the best of records of their career, of the year, and of the decade. Hypnotize is the perfect blend of blazing screaming crazyness that was very present in their self-titled effort and Toxicity, and the more safisticated blazing screaming crazyness that was Mezmerize. Anyone who had doubts of a band selling out when Daron Malakian started singing will have their doubts thrown right back at them. System Of A Down managed to blend both Daron and Serj voices perfectly into these group of songs, while perfectly mishmashing guitar crunching with well organized riffs. There's not much more to it. This is the perfect combination of what System Of A Down does best. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically Hypnotize shines. Perfectly blended with very heavy symbolic messages and flat out screaming and noises, and no matter which on of the two it is, or somewhere in between, it will get your attention, and bury somewhere deep in your head. The riffs and lyrics will stick to you, a gift System of a Down has mastered, undoubtly a huge part of their massive success over the last couple of years. Hypnotize also sees the horizon broaden lyrically for System Of A Down. They tackle issues such as War, of course, with songs like Soldier Side, the continuation of the intro from Mezmerize, which sees the songs taken to epic proportions, one of the biggest sounding songs System has ever done. Not to mention the songs that are just down right crazy, like Kill Rock n' Roll or Vicinity Of Obcenity, but System of a Down wouldn't be System Of A Down if they didn't load it full of symbolism. The one big surprise comes in Lonely Day, the only really personal song System Of A Down has really done, with lyrics like "If you go, I wanna go with you, and if you die, I wanna die with you" really touch a nerve that System hasn't explored before, and they do it amazingly well. // 10

Overall Impression: It is no doubt that Hypnotize will outsell anything System of A Down has ever done, and it should. Mezmerize blazed the trail for this albums much anticipated release, and System deserve any praise that this album gets. They perfectly tweeked a sound that has driven them to the top, mixing what their self titled album and Toxicity did for them to be the one of the most respected bands in metal, and what Mezmerize has done for them to be one of the most respected band in music today. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Justice-For-All, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Nearly 4 years after 2001's highly successful "Toxicity" and 3 years after "Steal this Album!" System Of A Down release the first part of what should have been a double album. That first part as we all know is Mesmerize. A album with mixed reactions and without a doubt their most mainstream album yet. Some say SOAD has sold out. I say this is nonsense. System Of A Down has always been political, have always been crazy, and have made songs with some very off the wall lyrics. The only thing that has changed is Darron's entry into singing. one that I personally think is a great addition. More than 6 months later we recieve Hyptonize with much anticipation. To all SOAD fans you can breath better knowing that Hyptonize is much heavier than Mesmerize. The sound is superb whether it's the heavy, chill out, or crazy songs. The album is composed of SOAD's standard nu-metal sound, but experiments with different guitar influences, even funk in one song. SOAD always pull off an amazing sound and this album is no exception. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are a mixed bag on this album. At times they are very intellegent and at other times very dumb too. But it's not really a distraction since most of the songs sound so great and catchy. SOAD is a parody band in a way so these lyrics are designed in such a matter to make fun of society and politicians. As always Serj has an awesome voice and even Darron is impressive at times. // 8

Overall Impression: Hypnotize is a great album and is much better in every way than Mesmerize. But how does it compare to Toxicity and the rest of the albums? The album is nearly on par with Toxicity but not as good as the Self Titled LP. The only bad thing I can say about the album is that sometimes it has some weak and very stupid lyrics. Then again this is SOAD and they've always had some songs like this. Also Darron's vocals are sometimes a little too squeaky for my tastes. Over all this album is great though. It's heavy, melodic, and there's great songs for any mood whether your angry, goofy, or just in a chilling type mood. Despite the nu-metal meltdown, SOAD has survived and still remains one of the most original and greatest bands of their generation. Here's my impressions on the songs: 01. Attack - very heavy song gets you right into the album. Very political song may not please everyone 10/10. 02. Dreaming - no let up here another heavy song, even more so than Attack. Drumming is superb on the song 10/10. 03. Kill Rock And Roll - lyrics are rather dumb, but is a catchy decent song. Darrons voice is a little annoying on this song 6/10. 04. Hypnotize - the lead single for the album is a song to chill to. It's a good song and the vocals are very well done 8/10. 05. Stealing Society - moderately heavy song and pretty catchy 8/10. 06. Tentative - sounds like an old Toxcity song, good heavy song 9/10. 07. U-Fig - great song reminds me of War! off the self-titled LP 9/10. 08. Holy Mountains - good song full of harmonies and great vocals. Another chill song 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obsenity - absolutely crazy, funny as hell song. It has bad lyrics but the song is so catchy and funny you can't help but love it. Guitar even sounds funky like the Red Hot Chili Peppers at times. Definately a stand out 10/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - another crazy song that's almost as hilarious as the last song. Again bad lyrics but it's so catchy and great it doesn't even matter 9/10. 11. Lonely Day - another song to chill out to that sounds great but has some terrible lyrics 7/10. 12. Soldier Side - a great ballad and great way to close the album. Connects with intro from Mesmerize 10/10. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: MisguidedAngel, on november 16, 2005

Sound: The combination of Mesmerize and Hypnotize works on so many degree's that this CD is another true expression and growth for System, the album maintains the frantic and elegent pace that set the bar for their past albums. Yet this cd also dives into a more lyrically driven direction thus the blistering pace becomes that of a soft and enthralling nature. The album keeps to its name sake by truly capturing your attention and not letting go until it feels your ready. Hypnotize is the perfect addition to the Mesmerize CD, as it brings tracks together and you can clearly see resembling styles in some tracks. // 10

Lyrics: Serj returns to the forefront of this album which, I will admit, I'm glad to see. The lyrics are more deep in most songs but you can even see the combination of talent in the vocals. Contrast is the name of the game with Hypnotize, example: Take the track called "Vicinity Of Obscenity" which is a frantic and fast paced track that makes the listener feel like they are on a bad acid trip, it resembles "This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song" to a T. Now compare it with a lyrically driven track like the now complete version of "Solider Side" which has a clear and definate message that the listener can identify with and think about, both soft and heartfelt in nature as compared with blistering and off the walls. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a testament to what System have done to, and for people. Always contraversial in nature this album takes another stab at the United States government while still maintaining the fast and unexpected nature of guitar and lyric combinations. Every song has something about it that stands out to the listener but some tracks do hold a special place in the listeners heart. 01. Attack - blistering intro leading into a softer lyrical part which has a clear message towards the government 9/10. 02. Dreaming - think of a song on speed and thats what you will get from the track dreaming, you certainly wont be sleeping during this song 9/10. 03. Kill Rock And Roll - confusing yet still maintains a good pace and great guitaring makes the song that much better even if the lyrics are a little strange 8/10. 04. Hypnotize - the intro will draw you into it and will hold your attention as the song progresses and gets gradually more intense 9/10. 05. Stealing Society - another speedy track that instantly grabs you by the throat as if to keep you in your place while it is playing 10/10. 06. Tentative - riff maintains the pace of the song and lyrics complement the guitar perfectly and vice versa 9/10. 07. U-Fig - catchy chorus that confuses and impresses you when you first listen to the song 9/10. 08. Holy Mountains - the longest track on the cd and possibly the most thought out and planned of all the tracks, a marvel 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - the most confusing song on the CD, it stops the listener in their tracks begging them to ask "What is he talking about?" yet, the verse "banana, terocata pie" will get stuck in your brain, trust me 10/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - this is the only song I really didn't have much of a taste for, lyrically it is slightly dry the guitar thus reflects this 6/10. 11. Lonely Day - the standout track on the CD for me, a amazing piece that is calm and smooth. The lyrics are crisp and guitar polished into what turns into a finely created track 10/10. 12. Solider Side - the finale of the intro track included in the Mesmerize CD, the track is faded in by the previous track "Lonely Day" and both it and the track "Solider Side (Intro)" fade into this song perfectly which is a very cute touch. Lyrically stunning with a true message that is easily deliever and heartfelt. Another stunning track 10/10. This is what makes Hypnotize such a winning combo for System Of A Down. Releasing 2 CDs in one year that complement each other in stunning form to create a true expression of political outcry and roaring rebellion. System Of A Down's Hypnotize is a must for fan of theirs in general but also will appeal to crowds that may never have gave them a chance, this CD could turn your opinion upside down. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2005

Sound: All I can say is wow. The second part of the Mezmerize/Hypnotize double pack is probably the best album of the year, and is certainly the best they have ever released. So good. Their music is always innovative and pushing new boundaries, but no album pushes those boundaries as much as Hypnotize. The boundary does not exist to them anymore. This album is darker and heavier than their last release, but they do still have some songs on there that tickle your funny bone too. Trust me, metal doesn't get much better than this. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this is amazing. Hard hitting, meaningful lyrics go surprisingly well with silly, amusing ones. Tentative, for examble, boasts the solemn lines "Where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall?" and "No ones gonna save us now," while Vicinity Of Obscenity blasts "Banana Terracotta Pie" and "Do we all learn defeat from the horse with bad feet?" Brilliant. I don't see why so many people complain about the fact that Daron sings more on this record. I think his voice compliments the songs he sings on very well. Sometimes his voice can irritate at times, but most of the time it is good. It is at the expense of a lot of the singing Serj used to do, but he still sings a lot and his voice is a good as ever. There is only one problem: on the song Lonely Day Daron sings the lyrics "It's the most lonliest day of my life." That's just bad grammar. But this album has the best lyrics ever written by SOAD. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Attack - power metal riff, light guitar verse, heavy chorus, great combinations, great song 9/10. 02. Dreaming - I (shotgunjoe, my account is screwed) have written a tab for this song on here as it is one of my favourites on the album, and I love the bridge 10/10. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - this song was recorded at BDO 2005, but it does not compare to the studio version. Daron and Serj harmonize perfecty here 9/10. 04. Hypnotize - I could never really get into this song. It just wasn't SOAD style, but this time it wasn't in a good way. Too light for me, and if you've seen the video, you will know it doesn't help the song. Worst on the album 6/10. 05. Stealing Society - best intro ever! The rest of the song slips a bit I'll admit, but not by much at all. Doesn't dissapoint 9/10. 06. Tentative - one of the best on the album. A heavy verse and chorus compliment the mellow bridge, which is amazingly beautiful 10/10. 07. U-Fig - I like it, but a lot of the changes are too sudden. I love the little guitar bit in the middle, and that chord at the end is the best way to end a song ever 8/10. 08. Holy Mountains - this is a beautiful song. Longest one on the album, and very well written. I also wrote a tab for it 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - another favourite. The most random, goes to a funk beat once in a while, what great lyrics 10/10. 10. Shes Like Heroin - pretty good, as someone else said though, it's a bit dry, and quite hard to get into. The chorus is pretty good, "Ass! Selling ass for heroin..." 8/10. 11. Lonely Day - my absolute fave. Such a great guitar riff, the lyrics "The most lonliest day of my life" are cringingly wrong! The fastest solo ever on a SOAD song, which is great. Ends on the siren that ended Soldier Side Intro on Mezmerize 11/10. 12. Soldier Side - a masterpiece, I could not think of a better way to end this massive project. I have just submitted a tab for this, it also ends on the same note that ended the Soldier Side Intro 10/10. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Kopperhead91, on november 16, 2005

Sound: The short story of this: it is amazing the blend of Serj and Darons voices is amazing. The opening Attack! is great hard hitting intro with heavy drums and guitar. The great use of the sounds of the original Soldier Side-Intro on the last song. Great use of Synths on Vicinity Of Obscenity (not the best song but good). The guitar was great with its effects and sounds and overall playing. Drums were great as usual. Bass was a problem to hear for me at certain points but was still very much there. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. They blend emotion on some (Soldiers Side) and political (Attack! U-fig). Great stuff. And her'es the curveball. Daron wrote most of this music. Serj and Shavo and John didn't write as much of it as usual. Daron also is great with lyrics I hope to see some more of his work. Great music. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that the second half of Mezmerize/Hypnotize is the better half. It combines great guitar with great lyrics. Dont get me wrong the other half was great but this one was so political and emotional at the same time it got to me better. Some of the great songs were: Soldiers Side, U-Fig, Attack!, Dreaming, Holy Mountains, and Lonley Day. They were the best. I would have to say Vicinity Of Obcenity was my least favorite. If this thing were stolen I would have to kill that person. I pre-ordered it but it is so awesome. Buy this album and do your ears a favor. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2005

Sound: Thank the maker! This album is so damn good. As usual SOAD have their fantastic sound plastered all over this barn burner. Time changes, crazy lyrics and a perfect blend of soft and hard. It's another step along a very original path that SOAD have taken. This album differs from it's brother "Mezmerize" in a few ways. Firstly, it's more aggressive in parts (Attack, Dreaming, Stealing Society), more haunting (Holy Mountains, Hypnotize, Lonely Day, Soldier Side), and the quiet moments aren't quite as quiet as on Mezmerize. As with all SOAD albums, the sound is very well defined. It's possibly the most identifiable aspect of SOAD's music, therefore, innovation is easy to pick up on. What stuck out to me was the use of almost Edge style guitar licks, that add a new melodic dynamic. // 9

Lyrics: To me the lyrics and the singing is what makes both Mezmerize/Hypnotize work so well, and it's especially so on Hypnotize. Daron takes more of a backseat on this album with the vocal duties, but is present at all times. I think that both Serj's and Daron's voice compliment each others so well. Some of the vocal delivery is amazing. Check out Kill Rock And Roll, She's Like Heroin and Lonely Day for an almost English style vocal, reminicent of "Johnny." Now on to the actual lyrics, which is so important on this album. This album is both more serious and funny than Mezmerize. Whilst Mezmerize tackles pop culture a little more, Hypnotize is all about war and politics and is all very well written. The exceptions would seem to be Kill Rock and Roll, Vicinity Of Obscenity and She's Like Heroin. The first, reminds me of Michael Moore "So I felt Like the biggest asshole - When I killed your rock and roll - f--k all the sexy people." The second is another piece of Serj word play, just like "This Cocaine..." and it's wonderful in my opinion! Lastly, with She's Like Heroin, the first time I heard it, I laughed my ass off! It's genius. "Chinese tricks in rooms/With ghost's of hooker girly dudes." It's brilliant. But I think in the end, the most devasting lyrics are on U-Fig, Bush voters should steer clear! // 10

Overall Impression: SOAD have evolved with every release, but have still retained all of the most important aspects of their overall sound. The fact that they have done this within the almost constrictive bondaries of their unique sound should be applauded. To me, this album is another positive step forward, without falling back upon any of their old tricks. This album is just as fresh as their first. It doesn't get a perfect 10, because perfect albums don't come around often, but this is a strong 9. The question that is left is where does SOAD go after this? Each album they have released has seen continual growth and has risen the stakes, how much higher can they go? I hope to the top of the Holy Mountains! // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: ChordMonger, on november 21, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is terrible ill-concieved. It sounds like the four of them wrote their parts in separate rooms without talking to each other, and then threw it all together without re-working anying. The vocals in this album are more off-the-walls than maybe even their debut, but not in the awesome way they tend to do. It just seems hollow, like there's no decent musicianship to support their lovely weirdness. // 2

Lyrics: "It's the lonelist day of my life," 'nuff said. If this is serious, it's pathetic. If this is a parody, it excecuted so poorly that all the humor is lost. // 1

Overall Impression: System used to be good. The overative phrase being 'used to'. I'd say this sounds like a B-Sides comp. but Steal This Album was just that, and sounded nicer, and retained more continuity the Hypnotize ever will. I'd like to pass it off as a separate effort, not at all connected with Mezmerise, but this my friends, is not the case. The really killer is the redone version of the Soldier Side Intro, expect now its a full blows, god-aweful song. They killed it! Having seen them live in august, and being able to attest to the pure badass that was Daron Malakian opening the set with soldier side, behind an enormous silouhetted curtain, this was like a stab in the face. Do not buy this. It is a pittiful excuse for music! Take this from one of the biggest System fans, this is shit! // 3

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down has been a fairly popular band ever since Toxicity was released, and as far as I'm concerned, Toxicity will always be System's best work. Hypnotize, as Mesmerize did, completely let me down. The typical System sound, with lyrics that are totally lacking the genius that they once held within. Daron still sings, which is unfortunate, as he seems to boggle down Serj's vocals. // 7

Lyrics: This is where this album fails for me. It's lyrical content is totally lacking the depth and style they once had on albums like Toxicity and Steal this album! The lyrics fit the music fine, but Serj and Daron can clearly write much better than this. The skills are apparent, as Serj has the definite talent. Daron's singing, on the other hand, is extremely annoying. I have a hard time listening to the new System. // 5

Overall Impression: This album doesn't stand up to some other fantastic albums that have been released this year, Coheed And Cambria's new album is mind blowing. Thrice's Vheissu is also fantastic, and full of lyrics that will make you think. I liked the fact that it was System of a down, because I really love these guys. I hated the fact that it wasn't a very impressive album, just as Mesmerize wasn't. If this album were stolen I would be too busy listening to Coheed And Cambria's Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Volume one: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness to even give a damn. // 5

Hypnotize Reviewed by: cglb123, on january 13, 2006

Sound: I have always freakin loved SOAD. They were the first metal band I ever listened to way back when and they put on an amzing show. Mezmerize/Hypnotize is by far their best work. I prefer Hypnotize. It is heavier than Mezmerize, and some tracks remind me of their older stuff. The sound quality is great as usual. Serj sings more, but there is still a big Daron presence, not a bad thing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical SOAD. Daron and Serj are brilliant, and crazy. By crazy I mean stuff like "We're the prophetic generation of bottled water" and "Bannana bannana bannana terricotta pie" (I have no idea what terricotta pie is). // 9

Overall Impression: Here's my review track by track: 01. Attack - one of the heaviest songs on the album. Very awsome. Alot like old SOAD. 02. Dreaming - weird. Awesome but weird. The verse is three different parts overdubbing eachother. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - I saw this one live. Awesome song. The bridge is a little boring but overall awsome. 04. Hypnotize - first single and wow song. Very catchy and tight. Daron has a cool bouzouki solo in the middle (if you don't know what a bouzouki is than you obviously need to meet more greeks). 05. Stealing Society - one of the lighter songs on the album. Has a riff that reminds me of Needles from Toxicity. Serj talks about blue skies and suns in the beginning, and then the song take a massive turn and Daron starts singing about gettin high and stuff. Awesome. 06. Tentative - this is most definetly a wow song. Very political and great. Awesome interlude. 07. U-Fig - the first time I heard this song, I jumped. It starts off quiet and somewhat mellow, and then explodes into insanely heavy/political, twice. Wow, too short though. 08. Holy Mountains - wow! The longest SOAD song I've heard even though it's not that long (a little over 5 min). It's kind of like Aerials except much much darker. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - wow. Quite possibly the funniest song ever. It is way better than Cigaro. I fell out of my chair laughing during this one. 10. She's Like Heroine - not a hilarious song, but kinda funny. Reminds me of Greek dances. It's a definite awesome. 11. Lonley Day - worst song on the album, which is not saying much. It's borderline awesome only because of the extremely tight solo. It's their failed attempt at being serious/emo. 12. Soldier Side - the worst song on the album fades into the greatest song on the album/that System's ever done in my opinion. It ties the albums together brilliantly. I usually do not get chills during songs, except for this one. The lyrics are extremely powerful and everything about this song is perfect, definetly worth the six month wait. It ends with the end riff to Soldier Side - Intro, but is played higher on the neck. Wow, perfect album closer. Overall amazing CD. It's kinda depressing at the end because its over. Can't wait for the next one, but it'll probably a long wait though. If it were stolen I would buy again within an hour. Then I would find the sorry sob that took it and to quote Russell Peters (funniest guy ever), "somebody gonna get a hurt real bad." // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: a7xsoad, on december 23, 2005

Sound: 'Hypnotize' is the second half of 'System Of A Down's' two-halved album, 'Mezmerize/Hypnotize'. System released 'Hypnotize' on the 22nd of November 2005. Between the albums, there are 23 tracks, (Mezmerize (11), Hypnotize (12)). The album, according to System, is meant to be one complete piece - hence the matching names, artwork and packaging. So, the musical history lesson (I'll keep it brief and as interesting as possible; ). System formed in 1995. They are a four piece Thrash/Metal/Nu Metal for America with Armenian origin - this explains Serj and Daron's (Lead and Backing Singers respectively) unique and of course superb vocal skills. Their first album was the self-titled 'System Of A Down' in 1998. The first 2 singles charted above the 200 spot, 'Suite-Pee' and 'Sugar'. From their first album alone it was clear that System were a clever four-piece who would thrive from their creativity and primeraly their originality. System's second album would produce 4 singles, an album #1 spot in the US and UK, and Billboard's Top Album of 2001. 'Toxicity' topped the US and UK charts. The four singles, 'Chop Suey', 'Toxicity', 'Psycho' and 'Aerials' were almost as successful all earning Top 40 spots in both the US and UK. 'Chop Suey' hit #2 in the UK, thrusting them immediatly onto the large scale scene in the UK. Toxicity remains to be one of the most popular albums of the last 5 years. During this album, Daron's voice was introduced, and System were shining with even more creativity and a lot of variety. Toxicity featured a fifth member, Arto, who played anything from his bare chest to a single drum. You can here his chanting in the interlude of 'Science'. 'Steal This Album' was the real gap between 'Toxicity' and 2005's 'Mezmerize'. All the songs were the remains of recording from the 'Toxicity' recording sessions. 'Innervision' and 'Fuck The System' were released from this 16 track album but not on a large scale. 'Steal This Album's' penultimate song, 'Roulette' really summed up a change in 'System Of A Down' and it shows an important message, a metal band can be as melodic as ANY other band and succeed in doing so. So, for 3 years nothing was heard from System. In 2004 the track 'Cigaro' was leaked purposely by the band - this was to be the 4th track from 'Mezmerize'. It was a unique and refreshing sound - the song featured such insane lyrics as 'My cock is much bigger than yours' and 'Cool, in denial, we're the cruel regulators smoking Cigaro, Cigaro, Cigar!' 'Mezmerize' was released in mid-2005. 'Mezmerize' was a completely new sound and no-one could deny the change System had gone through. Mezmerize hit #2 in the UK and really bought System onto the major rock scene. 'Mezmerize' bought back the very middle eastern feel that System are renowned for. 'Soldier Side' and 'Question' show this. The drum kit they record with also appears to give a very African sound, listen to the song 'Toxicity' for a perfect example. 'Radio Video' was the first single from the Mezmerize, followed by the hugely successful 'BYOB (Bring Your Own Bombs) arguably their best song up until the released of Hypnotize. 'Question' with a very middle eastern feel was the final single from 'Mezmerize'. Both BYOB and Question! were accompanied with videos although they did not get an awful lot of television airplay. And so to November and the release of the insane 'Hypnotize'. // 10

Lyrics: Serj (generally) tackles the heavier, harder, shoutier parts of System's songs, although during Hypnotize, Daron sings in harmony with Serj through almost the whole album, something we have watched change over the years considerably within System. Serj loves to tackle politics in his music, as we hear from endless amounts of songs, the titles give away the message - "War," "PLUCK," "Prison Song," "Deer Dance," "American Dream Disorder," "BYOB," "Cigaro," "Violent Pornography," "Sad Statue" are all strongly political. And from 'Hypnotize', "Attack," "Hypnotize," "Stealing Society," "Tentative," "Holy Mountain" and "Soldier Side" all have a political or war-related message. Daron is personally my favourite vocalist of all time and he is a huge asset to the band (as of course is Serj). Daron is also the guitarist in System Of A Down. His voice was barely existent during the first album, and since then he has become a more and more important part to the band. As Serj's voice has changed very little from the first album, and even from the demos as early as '96 (My opinion alone), Daron's has changed considerably, listening to the interlude to "Needles" from Toxicity and then the interlude to "Dreaming" on 'Hypnotize', I was truly astonished at the change. Daron has also tackled some aggressive vocal parts like Serj, most noticeably the screaming in "Attack" from 'Hypnotize', and the "Where the Fuck are you?" part from "B. Y. O. B", ('Mezmerize'). I must mention 'Lonely Day'. Hundreds of people will be as much as shocked at 'the poor lyrics' in Lonely Day, but the simplicity of the lyrics in 'Lonely Day' is intentional and is effective in my eyes. It hits home to anyone lonely with such simple lyrics. It helps to make the song ever more powerful. I am personally a little dissapointed with 'She's Like Heroin'. To get some amusement I would much rather listen to the end of 'Stealing Society'. Both songs are related to drugs, and Daron plays the most important part in both. but I am dissapointed at the singing in 'She's Like Heroin' and the continous repetition of the chorus at the end. This is something System will usually avoid. I'm not sure what happened here. I think the singing is too high even for Daron to handle at the end of 'She's Like Heroin'. It's still an awesome song, just by far the worst on the album. // 9

Overall Impression: As with most music, on first listening to this album, I was surprised and slightly dissapointed, I thought System had been too ambitious with 'Hypnotize', but I was wrong. Throughout the album they return to their classic characteristics -and take them to extremes in many places. I will take this track by track to give a general overview of the album. 01. Attack - this first song seems to sum up everything that System Of A Down is, even in the first 30 seconds. "Attack" rises and falls between fast, heavy, thrash-classic riffs. Within 20 seconds tones down, 'Breathing, each others lives. Holding, this in mind'. As an opening song to the album this is superb. 02. Dreaming - one of System's best songs ever in my opinion. "Dreaming" races between complexity, with 3 layers of vocals at several points, to pure simplicity with one guitar. Daron's singing is absolutely insane in this song. System Of A Down making this the next single would be justified for this outstanding song. I would buy the album JUST for this song! 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - anyone who had heard the agressive live version of this song would think the album version is a half-hearted effort. The toning down is clearly intentional, but this song deserves to be agressive. Yes, it is different and experimental but I just don't think it is effective. I will occasionaly skip this song. I rarely do that with a System album. 04. Hypnotize - I heard this first on System's website on the week before it's release as the first single from 'Hypnotize'. Since then, I have grown bored of this song. At first it was my favourite System song of all time, it certainly has an outstanding chorus, but something about this song doesn't excite anymore. 05. Stealing Society - this song is under 3 minutes long, but you could almost seperate it into 2 parts, Serj tackles the first half, Daron the second half. As per usual I prefer Daron's part. Throughout the first one and a half minutes Serj repeats "Two suns, watching it all fading" and varies the lyrics each time. Then Daron suddenly breaks into semi-rap, this is one of the best parts of the album. Absolutely superb. The song concludes with the words "Lookin' for a mother that will get me high, Just a stupid motherfucker if I die, I, I". This song is insanely good. 06. Tentative - another outstanding song, again varying considerably throughout in 'aggressiveness'. This song stands out as very moving and 'war-related', however a slight letdown, this song sounds incredibly similar to 'Dreaming' especially the almost identical chorus melody and pace. However, a very good listen despite. 07. U-Fig - this is the probably the only song on the album that could compete with 'Dreaming' as the best song on the album. It is very agressive from start to finish with the exception of a really, really, really unusual guitar solo in the interlude, followed the agressive chorus line, this is the most ingenious and innovative piece of music System have ever written in my opinion! 08. Holy Mountain - a very eerie song, which reminds me an awful lot of 'Aerials' from Toxicity, especially the guitar style at the start, (as a guitarist, I can say it is actually almost identical and involves the same notes). This is an outstanding song that, I believe is about the Armenian Genocide, it's an incredibly powerful song, again with quite an eastern feel. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - you may be shocked that I have only given an 6 for this song if you have heard it. I find it does get boring, I find it seems to meaningless and insane for even me to handle (trust me, I'm insane). Then again, rather like 'Chop Suey' I would probably appreciate this song more if I knew what It meant. Lyrics from this stupid song include screaming "Liar" endlessly, and Serj chanting "Banana, Banana, Terracotta Pie?" 10. She's Like Heroin - tracks 9, 10 and 11 are the only slight letdowns for me. I don't like this song because of the overtly repetitive chorus. It's needs a remix and some fresh lyrics at the end. System usually manage to avoid tedious repetition in their songs but failed this time unfortunately. Daron doesn't seem to quite handle the high singing in this song in my opinion. 11. Lonely Day - this is the most melodic System song yet, along with the superb "Roulette" from 'Steal This Album!' In this song Daron sings of his own emotions through simple lyrics that may hit home for many people. This slightly moving song isn't brilliant but is a refreshing maturity for System. Maybe they delibrately placed this after 'She's Like Heroin' to emphasise this? This song does create a good buildup to Soldier Side, the final song and the most moving. 12. Soldier Side - this song has bought a tear to the eye of anyone I know who has listened to it closely. Here's some of the lyrics "Dead men lying on the bottom of their graves, Wondering when saviour comes, When are they gonna be saved?" "They were crying when their sons left, All young men must go, God's gone so far to find the truth he's never going home" I was simply stunned at the final song of the album, I couldn't help but wonder how a terrorist or militant would react to this song. Soldier Side, along with U-Fig and Dreaming, contends as the best song on the album, as with 'Mesmerize', "Lost In Hollywood" was my personal favourite. If I lost my copy of 'Hypnotize' I would definetly go to the effort of getting a new copy. I have the Dualdisc 'Mezmerize/Hypnotize', and if I lost the whole package, and only had 10 quid, I would most definetly buy 'Hypnotize'. It is The best album of all time. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: shoebox_of_lies, on november 21, 2005

Sound: Definetly System's best, it combines some of the heavy guitar and bass we saw in Toxicity, along with the killer drums and unique arrangements that got so many fans hooked on Mezmerize. A Unique blend of new metal, alternative rock, with a bit of a classic rock feel to some songs. // 10

Lyrics: Always more than meets the eye (or ear in this case), ranging from profound lyrics such as (They were crying when their sons left/God is wearing black/They've gone so far to find no hope/They're never coming back) to fast tongue-twisters (Banana Banana Banana Banana Terra Cotta/Banana Terra Cotta Terra Cotta Pie). As always their lyrics and melodies flow alongside each other. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Attack - definetly a strong opener, the song kicks off with blazing guitar/bass/drums, slows down for the verse, then kicks it off again for the chorus. A catchy chorus, and a beat that keeps you moving, plus a fun one to play along with (guitar/bass) 8/10. 02. Dreaming - resembling more of the "old SOAD" (espicially since it uses the old tuning of drop C), fairly fast throughout the song. It sounds great during the prechorus when Serj sing two things at once and plays the together in an odd yet very nice harmony. Great chorus (You/You went beyond/And you lost it all/Why did you go there/From Beyond/You saw it all/Why did you go there). Bridge slows it down, but still sounds great, with a very catchy line that will most likely stay stuck with you (Dreaming not Screaming/Someone kick me out of my mind/I hate these thoughts I can't deny) 10/10. 03. Kill Rock 'n' Roll - quiet intro, gains bass and heavyness. Verse pretty heavy, a little odd at first, but the chorus sounds great. Bridge lyrics kinda of odd like the verse (Eat all the grass that you want/Accidents happen in the dark), but for the quick quiet moment between the end of bridge and the starting of the chorus again, gets you hooked. If you're like me and heard the live version several times, then you know more or less what to expect 8/10. 04. Hypnotize - the first single, I'm sure most of you heard it. Kinda like the previous track, slow intro slowly gains heaviness, then moves to a guitar slamming verse. First chorus slow as the intro, along with the second, but the bridge picks up pace. Nice solo, followng a heavy chorus to finish things off 9/10. 05. Stealing Society - another heavy one, fast and full of the double bass pedal we all know and love. Verse and chorus with nice rythm, but incredibly catchy bridge (almost like a rap). Great harmonies between Daaron and Serj. One of my favorites 10/10. 06. Tentative - addictive guitar, one chord played over between tremelo picking. Slows down for prechorus and chorus, which sounds especially nice in the song (We're Going down/In a spiral to the ground (?)/No One/No one's gonna save us now/Not even God/No one saved us/No one's gonna save us now). Slows down for nice bridge picking. Another great track 10/10. 07. U-Fig - If loud and screaming is what you love about system, then you'll love this track. (Come join the cause/Come join the cause/Who wants to come with me and come join the cause?) Catchy chorus as usual, nice intro/bridge riff 9/10. 08. Holy Mountains - another tracked that leaked a live version, but does sound much nicer than the live version. The longest track on the album, heavy guitar during interludes, but tones down a bit for verse. Chorus lyrics a little odd (liar!/killer!/demon!), but nonetheless a good song 8/10. 09. Vicinity Obscenity - another masterpiece on the album. Heavy at times, very quiet the next instance. Definetly a nice use of effects and sounds. Chorus gives off a Pink-Floyd feel, along with a very catchy prechorus tongue twister 10/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - not everyone's favorite, but still one of mine. Daaron has lead vocals here, along with a strong guitar along the track. Odd lyrics at some points (She wants nothing more/Than the be a little whore/He wants nothing less/but to wear a little dress) but can be stuck in your head all day 9/10. 11. Lonely Day - It seems they tried to make a "Lost In Hollywood" for Hypnotize, but I honestly find this the worst track on the album. Incredibly simple lyrics, and guitar you'd from more pop rock bands. But, bridge is pretty good along with one of the best solos I've heard from Daaron 7/10. 12. soldier Side - if you're like me, you've been waiting for this track and this track alone. The good news is it lives up to what you've been expecting. Nice intro guitar, verse seems kinda heavy at first but then blends in with some high tremelo picking, which joins in with the intro picking to make the chorus. Nice solo, and when it gets to the part seen on Mezmerize (Welcome to the soldier side/Where there's noone here but me), it's a heavier guitar, along with stronger vocals, but does not disapoint. 11/10 (I know, it's not possible). Buy it, if you lose it buy two. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: duncang, on november 23, 2005

Sound: Aaah, System Of A Down. Back again with the second of a two-album set for 2005. It starts off with a nice, typical SOAD fast, heavy and mad song, and finishes with a slow-burning, bleak anthem. I love Systems guitar sound, drumming and bass, and Serj's voice is just brilliant. The album is generally heavier than Mezmerize, and is actually in a lot of ways like their self-titled. This album really is a mix of all of their past efforts, with songs reflecting every one of their albums. The components are catchy heavy riffs (self-titled), anthemic choruses with harmonizing vocals (Toxicity), stupidly fast singing (Steal This Album) and uber-madness (Mezmerize). // 10

Lyrics: I love SOAD's lyrics, both their serious political issues and absolutely insane moments. But here I am gonna do something new to my reviews, add this: Catchiest Lyric: "You and me should go outside and Beat em!Beat em!Beat em!Beat em!Beat em!" - U-Fig Maddest Lyric: "Banana Banana Banana Terracotta Banana Terracotta Terracotta Pie!" - Vicinity Of Obscenity Best Lyric: "The calming sincerity of steel machines have consumed our euphoria, tranforming us into muted dreams, waiting for the day we attack" - Attack. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Attack - fast, furious and very System, with great lyrics to go with it. One time where Darons voice really really suits the song 10/10. 02. Dreaming - another fast-paced song, but this one slows down for the chorus, good harmonizing from Serj and Daron 10/10. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - an all-too familiar guitar intro, which isnt something which System have ever come out with, familiarity. Lyrics involve "assholes" and "the sexy people" 10/10. 04. Hypnotize - goes in the complete opposite direction from where the album was going, but this song is really catchy, with good lyrics. Check out the video, Daron looks scary when he sings his bits in the verse 10/10. 05. Stealing Society - great intro there. The rest of the song does keep up, although it never has a moment like that intro (except for when they repeat it, but ya know) Daron sounds really good in that middle bit, which isnt normal 10/10. 06. Tentative - this song is really, really good, but it doesnt have a memorable moment, like the intro of Stealing Society, or the last chorus of Hypnotize. The lyrics are among the best on the album though 9/10. 07. U-Fig - catchiest song so far, with some great moments, but when your not concentrating on it, it does kind of drag along 9/10. 08. Holy Mountains - sounds like its gonna be an Aerials-like slow burner from just its title, and you are right. This is exactly how heavy rock is meant to be done, with Serj singing perfectly. Has a kind of fast breakdown, but its pretty short. Oh, and the drumming on this sounds amazing 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - this is one scary song. Crazier than Cigaro (only slightly), and better sounding than the crazy songs from their self-titled. It goes all poppy (and admittedly, crap) in the middle, with Daron sounding like a chipmunk 10/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - isn't it funny that they put the two insane songs together! Daron sounds made for this song (although he writes them anyway), funny lyric too "Ass! Selling us for heroin." Brilliance 10/10. 11. Lonely Day - ah, here come the two lighters-in-the-air anthems this is a really serious sounding song, but with a small bit of craziness stuck in the chorus. "The most lonliest day of my life" 9/10. 12. Solider Side - bleak song, and depressing. Goes on, but really its a total masterpiece. Flows right into Mezmerize 10/10. Overall, this album is great, just like all their others, but it isnt an improvement from Mezmerize, because it doesnt have all those songs that everyone knows, even if theyr not singles (Violent Pornography, Radio/Video, Cigaro, Revenga). But I think it's better than Mezmerize, because of two reasons: Hypnotize's Soldier Side is longer, Hypnotize doesn't have Old School Hollywood. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 28, 2005

Sound: This album is a little different than their other albums. Their other albums were more just messing around and being political, and this one is a little darker, and more serious. The CD case of this album is acctually supposed to be able to connect with the CD case for Mezmeriuze and make a 'collection'. Once again System Of A Down has shown creative styles of music that very few people have tried and most of which have failed. And this is the first time I've ever (and probably the last as well) seen a band who's written a song, and then written anothe song with the exact same name. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said, the music is more serious, so it should be pretty obvious for a general idea of what they sound like lyrically. And of course, it's System Of A Down we're talking about here, so even if the lyrics don't match the music in any way, they will still sound good together and no one will care. And once again, Serj and Daron have proved to the world that they can sing. // 10

Overall Impression: It's pretty much like the other albums they've written except that, once again, they are a little darker. My favorite song s off of this album are Attack, Hypnotize, Dreaming, Kill Rock N' Roll, and She's Like Heroin. I can't say that anything is bad enough about it that I hate it. This album is definitely worth buying again. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: All0utR0ck, on march 30, 2006

Sound: From the moment I slapped this sucker in my CD player, I was blown away. Literally. I really, honestly was not expecting what I got, but boy is this album amazing. From Attack to Soldier Side, System Of A Down gives us a dose of a blistering fast upheaval rampaging metal at it's best. I should have gotten this album when I heard the first single but I was too afraid that it was going to be exactly like Mezmerize, which, was also an excellent album but by no means does it compare to this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical, political System of a Down with a few change-ups here and there. Daron and Serge literally "Hypnotize" you (pun intended) with their vocal capabilities here as well as Mezmerize. The soothing screaming voice of Daron and the roaring groaning voice of Serge is an unbeatable combination and is no exception with Hypnotize. // 10

Overall Impression: Honestly can't say that this album compares to any other SOAD album out there. It's pretty diverse in a good way. My personal favorite songs are Attack, Dreaming, Kill Rock 'N Roll, Hypnotize, Vicinity of Obscenity, She's Like Heroine, Lonely Day and Soldier Side, but hell the whole album kicks ass. I definitely would not let this album get stolen and in the case it were mysteriously stolen I would get two more albums just in case. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Idiot Pineapple, on april 27, 2006

Sound: System Of A Down is nothing short of one of today's finest musical groups. Putting them in a genre is a challenge of themselves. Are they metal, rock, progressive? Or does it really matter? System Of A Down is simply great music and can suit the tastes of many. The production value on this CD is very well done. All the instruments and harmonies simultaneously seem to shine. Their sound on this album seems to really come out more than any other album. System ranges from hardcore metal, to standard hard rock, traditional eastern styles of music, and they always seem to add some surprise in every song. Every track truly stands out and could easily stand alone as a single. // 10

Lyrics: Daron and Serj are nothing short of incredible songwriters. They both contributed to the music and lyrics on this album. Their new releases really show what this duo can do, and how much they need to keep doing it. The theme of lyrics fits the music perfectly. Their songs range from drugs, to sex, to war, and yet, all their songs seem to have some deeper meaning. Daron and Serj's voice seem to have been made for each other. They sing and harmonize beautifully on every track. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has been put into my CD player and played all the way through more times than I can count. It's one of my favorite albums off all time. All the tracks stand out in their own way. They've all been my favorite at one point or another. If this album was stolen, I would go out and buy another one that very day. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Hikarimono, on april 28, 2006

Sound: I don't know if it's a widely common preference or if I get it from having choir shoved down my throat since first grade, but the harmonies that Serj and Daron do on both Mezmerize and Hypnotize are amazing. I found it brings something new to the song every time, even after listening to it to an annoying point. System Of A Down took a different turn with Mesmerize and Hypnotize, not making it as "metal" as it was before. It might just be because I heard these albums before their previous ones, but I think I prefer their newer style. Especially for Hypnotize. They have an amazing overall sound, but the only overall complaint that I would have is possibly Serj's diction in a lot of the songs. This does not apply to every one of his songs, but Tentative, for example, is much harder to understand in the verses. Very nice song, but hard to understand. Daron's parts are a bit easier to understand, but Tentative as a whole seems to just be hard to understand without looking in the lyric book. Their lyrics are in a class all their own, but it really would be a lot better for the individual songs if they made certain parts more coherent. // 9

Lyrics: System Of A Down is famous for the obscure lyrics and even after years of their music being a satire about world events, people still don't get it. Take Lonely Day for example. A direct quote from the song is The most loneliest day of my life. Far too often is it misconstrued as an emo song for this reason. If I were in the band, I'd almost consider it an insult if it didn't make the person who made the accusation of being it being emo look like an idiot. Most Loneliest. Think about it. That's a redundant form of wording that we are supposed to overcome in kindergarten. System wouldn't suddenly go emo with these sorts of lyrics. It's mocking emo and basic song structure. Not many see it as such. This is common in a lot of songs. Vicinity of Obscenity is another good example. I'm not sure if there's any right meaning to this song, but from what I've seen, the lyrics seem to basically say that prostitution is pretty much earning certain individuals money and degrading those who purchase them. That was my own general impression, anyway. I've heard similar theories. Their lyrics all attempt to satire some form of world crisis today. Soldier Side, Tentative, and Dreaming have amazing takes on the war and how it affects people today. They have a lot of random references, some that maybe have some private meaning between the band, but if thought about long enough, you can find the deeper meaning in their lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I think System is a pretty good medium between rock and metal at this point. Sure, they'll always have Serj randomly doing his metal growl in songs where appropriate, but they also took a turn to a new genre and I think were pretty successful. Daron's lyrics will always stand out as some of my favorite pieces of music material. The same is true of Serj's voice. These coupled with the harmonies make for an amazing sound, but most of the issues with this band just happen to be they can be hard to understand. This goes for diction wise as well as lyrical wise. Once this band has you addicted, and you probably will be if you listen to any one song enough times, you can get past the little nitpicks and look at the bigger picture. I'm definitely getting their next album when it comes out, if, or hopefully when, that happens. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 05, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is pure genious I have not heard anything like this album ever. The guitar on this album is absolutely amazing especially in the solo for "Lonely Day" where it starts off soft then the really fast paced tapping and another cool guitar song is Dreaming because of the amazing intro Daron does on it. The drums on this are superb, System of A Down have one of the Earths greatest drummers ever. The bass on this album is also really nice with fast paced beats and slow beats in some songs. So this album was actually a really good sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are well there is actually no way to describe the lyrics actually. Some lyrics can be as funny as hell, some can be emotional and some can be just regular things happening everywhere these days. I think that Serj is a musical genious when it comes to songwriting. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artist because I have never, ever in my whole life heard anything like this album. I dont have a favorite song on this album because all of the songs are just purely insane in their own way. I love everything about this album and I hate nothing absolutely nothing about this album. If this album were lost/stolen I would defenitely get one right away. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Gio Ozkr, on november 09, 2010

Sound: My impression of the band is the following, The are freaking awesome the way they trite their song and their style is just amazong. Yes there is some story atached to the album, The song Lonely Day was written by Daron Malkian when his cousin died in a fire. And the song Hypnotize talks about how people do what the majority does and how superfical the govern can be. They have changed they use guitars with octavers, mandolins and several guitars at the same time. I would like to share that they are cool and a very original band, and this album was no exception. // 10

Lyrics: They have killer lyrics, some of them criticize the pollution or the goverment. The lirycs totally fit the music, some times the guitar mimics the voice of the singer. And the singer voice is awesome he is a genious, he can hold up the notes as lonfg as he want. // 10

Overall Impression: I can compare it to slipnot in the following way, SOAD know how to do solos and this album speaks better than this section and slipknot didn'd until 2009. The most impresive songs are, Attack, Hypnotize, Stealing Society, Tentative, Holy Mountains, Lonely Dayand Soldier Side. I like the lyrics in it, the guitar in it is really cool too, I hate that the songs are pretty short. If it were stolen or lost I would defenitly buy it again. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Iceman_x2, on november 21, 2005

Sound: This CD is great. I like how it starts out intense with "Attack" and ends softer with "Lonely Day" and "Soldier Side." Daron's guitar playing just keeps getting better and it sounds really good on Hypnotize. Also John's drumming is really good. Dreaming has really awesome drums in it. Overall I think Hypnotize sounds amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really cool. Some are political songs and some don't even make sense but they still are really awesome. Singing on the album is really cool. I don't think you could find two people like Daron and Serj whos voices sync together so well. I love how Daron is becoming more and more involved vocally on each CD, I love his voice. Especially on Lonely Day, simply amazing. As for Serj his vocals are also really good. He does a really good job on dreaming. I like how there is a couple verses being sung at the same time it sounds really cool. Overall I don't think it could get much better than this! // 10

Overall Impression: It has every type of song you could want. Fast/heavy: Attack, slow: Lonely Day, weird but cool: Vicinity Of Obscenity. There is nothing about the CD I don't like. Here is a individual song description and how I feel about it: 01. Attack - a heavy song with cool political lyrics 10/10. 02. Dreaming - really cool how the verses go and a awesome chorus 10/10. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - awesome, it's cool how they take turns singing lines during verses instead of singing at the same time 10/10. 04. Hypnotize - cool intro, they picked a good song to be their first single. 05. Stealing Society - Daron's singing in the second part of the song are really funny and the way the song begins and ends is cool 10/10. 06. Tentative - yet another awesome intro and chorus 10/10. 07. U-Fig - another cool song with a weird chorus 9/10. 08. Holy Mountains - intro reminds me a lot of Aerials and it is a really cool song 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - the weirdest song on the CD. Banana terracotta pie 10/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - cool song the way Daron's sings the song is really cool 10/10. 11. Lonely Day - the first time I heard this song it gave me the chills. It is my favorite song on the CD and is absolutly amazing. A awesome guitar solo too the fastest I've ever heard Daron play 10/10. 12. Soldier Side - a really good song about war. A good song to close the CD. I like how it sort of connects the Hypnotize CD to the Mezmerize CD 10/10. As you can see I absolutly love this CD. And you can trust my rating because I have been a System Of A Down fan since they first started playing and have watched them evolve over time. Hypnotize is yet another incredible SOAD album! // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Nitro_Blaze, on november 21, 2005

Sound: Those of you who got the email from SOAD about Hypnotize being on mtv. com's "The Leak" page were lucky enough to see a glorious occasion. System's new album was all there. From Attack to Soldier Side, all the songs were there. Which forced me to think up a review for this amazing album. System's first half of the album, Mesmerize was 11 tracks of strange, messed up, and all out System of a Down styled tunes. It differs alot from many of their older tracks, but it's still the same band. And, let's face. Every single one of there albums sounded different. That's just the way they are. Forever changing. Hypnotize fits in perfectly with the first half. I know all the reviewers and such were all saying that, which usually makes it relatively not true. But it is this time which scares me. Okay, I'm not going into the whole review each song separately thing. Screw that. That takes too long, and I don't have another 465849023hours to be on this thing. I'm just gonna do it in general. The CD had great sound. If you liked Mesmerize, you'll like Hypnotize more than that. Hypnotize definitely passes Mesmerize even though they're the same album whatever. The sound is great, like I said. It's melodic, loud, and powerful. Everything a successful Metal band needs. Well, if you have loud, you're generally good to go. Melodic and Powerful are just bonuses. Whatever. Every song is powerful. Not necessarily loud all the way through, but it doesn't have to be. To point out a few songs from the CD: Lonely Day, Attack, Dreaming, Soldier Side, and Vicinity of Obscenity were my favs. Attack is the first track on the CD, so it gives me the overall assurance that it's a good CD. I wasn't worried, it just does that. I always like the first track anyways. Dreaming's vocals were amazing, and were generally so loud you couldn't even here the rest of the music. It was definitely an awesome track. Vicinity of Obscenity was definitely a good track. Their talks of banana's and terracotta pie bring us back to a more classic sounding System. Lonely Day just plain rawked. there's no need to explain it, and Soldier side finished off the intro from Mesmerize. Definitely a very melodic song and it really relates to the intro on Mesmerize well, duh. // 10

Lyrics: Definitely good lyrics. Well, actually, I can't give a good review for this part, because seeing as the CD hasn't been released the Lyrics page isn't up on the main page yet. But what I heard was. Well, SOAD. They still song about the same ol' stuff they used to, and they still manage to keep it original. What? Did you expect them to turn out like Nickelback; completely without a decently original song? Not likely. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD is definitely played out well, and, again, it perfectly matches Mesmerize. Perfect match, perfect album overall. I love it. I don't usually rate things 10/10, but I can make an exception for two things: Sum 41, and System Of A Down. Keep rocking' guys! // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 21, 2005

Sound: SOAD is a great band from the guitar work, the vocals (when Serg sings), the bass is out of this world and the drums fit perfect. I truly hate this publicity machine that SOAD has turned into. All of the MTV glitz is disgusting! This whole double album release was stupid, just another way to milk us for a few more bucks! The first album of this 2 album set was ok, some good songs but a little to slow for me. Too many ballads, the same thing happens on #2. Way to radio or top 40! // 6

Lyrics: How can you rate lyrics or even comment on them with this band? They have a song about getting a slice of pizza from the fridge for cripes sake! Not a bad thing, a very good thing. // 7

Overall Impression: I liked the title track and I am sort of glad that they streamed it on MTV. That way I didn't waste $17 on this side of the album. I don't think you can compare this album to any of the old ones, these last 2 were completely different from anything that had been done Before. No offense to Daron but he truly can't sing and all of the wonderful mastering he has done still does not hide that fact that live, he won't be hitting any notes. Just be what you are, an amazing guitarist and back up vocals and leave the singing to serj, he's really good at it. I just hope that Daron does not turn into the next Axl Rose, because from where I am sitting, it sure looks like it. // 4

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Darkness 666, on november 22, 2005

Sound: This is by far system's heaviest album yet! And holds some of the best songs including Holy Mountains and Kill Rock N' Roll, this is the last in the 2 album line-up, Hypnotize is the bands 5th album after its predececor, Mezmerize. This has pretty much all the same effects on the guitar throghout the CD, but does have some sweet micro effects! Great album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, well they are very strong and meaningful, they are about the world and war, un-neccesary killing and anal sex, also some rather random talk of "terracotta pie"? Yes, I'm not sure either? But as always they manage to deliver some very strong but fantastic words that'll keep you humming for weeks! // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of their best CDs, an essential if you prefer system of a down's heavier side. Althought the riffs on the first to tracks are preety alike? But who gives a monkeys arse! System rule and they really hit the spot with this classic CD! Well worth the wait. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Rock-is-dying, on november 23, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down has yet again produced another brilliant CD, Hypnotize this CD sounds as if it spans the different styles System has evolved from over the years for instance some songs sounds as if their from the Toxcicity era and others closely resemble thier self-titled CD. Not only do they get back to their roots but they create unique and strange songs only system would be capable of combining metal, jazz, pop, and alternative into a whole melting pot of various noises created from the brilliant mind of Daron Malakian and the rest of the band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Hypnotize not only impress but astound with their talk of government corroption Propoganda and Conspiracies, but thats what we all expect of SOAD but then the come up with the bizarre and Strange lyrics from songs like Vicinity Of Obcenity that screech out strange ramblings like bananan banana terra cott pie and then quickly jumps into a retro jazz like beat speaking of whores with bad feet overall impression is Daran certainly stepped up to the plate on this album because his vocals blend in with Serje's harmony and make a dual vocal that SOAD has never been able to pull off until now. // 9

Overall Impression: Hypnotize definitely makes the grade the cd acts as a retrospective accomplishment and shows just how much their style has evolved and changed over time but their dedication hasn't. System Of A Down has the answer to what todays rock should sound like they prove themselves with this CD and show their here to stay and not die out like some mainstream pop Blink 182 garbage after listening to this CD dozens of times over since I got it last week I would consider it the best SOAD cd yet so go buy it what the hell are you doing reading the rest of this. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down has committed the ultimate sin. Since their debut, their music has increased in quality and inventiveness, has become widely popular among a Variety Of Audiences, and Consequently, each CD is more successful than the last. And while I have no problem doubting that Hypnotize might be their most successful disc yet, I cannot say it is their best. However, this does not make it a strong effort. The production of the album is great as every instrument is easily heard and the musical tag team of Serj and Daron sound better than ever. Everything you've come to expect from System Of A Down: the crunchy riffs, the rapid tempo changes, the groovy passages, and the great instrumental breaks are all there for you to feast your ears on. In the universal music spectrum, it's a great album. But compared to System's other stuff, I'm not so sure. // 10

Lyrics: This is the tragic flaw of Hypnotize. The delivery of the lyrics is amazing, as the harmonizing between Serj and Daron is used much more and suits every piece of music well, but the words themselves seem rushed and stereotypical. "We're going down/In a spiral to the ground," while delivered brilliantly in the song "Tentative," is a common end rhyme that's been heard approximately ninety thousand times in the last ten years. However, they're done so well between the two singers that I cannot bring myself to offer any less than a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD does not compare to any other artists as System Of A Down's sound is done so uniquely that they may only be compared with themselves. Unfortunately, this might be System's biggest obstacle. This album seems to flow less than their previous releases. One thing I appreciate about this album is SOAD's courage with venturing into somewhat unknown territory. They've become much more melodic this album and have a couple instrumental breaks (my favorite featured in the middle of the self-titled track) that are amazingly well crafted, and even feature a choral accompaniment in one of the songs. Their political viewpoint is still in tact as heard with, "Where do you expect them to go when the bombs fall?" It was just a hard pill to swallow when I find myself unable to get as "in to" a song as before. As if the hard parts were plenty loud but unable to mosh to. This change might make many people uncomfortable but I happen to like it. They're still a superb band with an amazing sound, even if I don't feel Hypnotize is up to snuff with their previous efforts. I'm sure it will grow on me as I listen more. And even if it doesn't, this album did not disappoint in a musical sense. Realistically, my expectations for System Of A Down are way too high. If this CD were lost, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Only, I doubt it would get lost because it's going to be lodged into my CD player for a while. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: aznssilver, on november 24, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down has moved to their old musical sound, almost. They have heavier guitar riffs than in Mezmerize, but also some softer parts than in Mezmerize or Steal This Album! John Dolmayan (drummer) has moved from the usual drum pattern (the hihat slur) he used in most songs for Mezmerize. Shavo Odadjian's (bassisst) bass isn't very noticable but when it is, I love it. It fits right into the song. Serj Tankian (singer) has a voice that can't compare to any other (in my opinion). Daron Malakian's guitar work my not be the best in solos but he sure can come up with awesome riffs. His voice is heard more in Mezmerize and Hypnotize. I like Daron's voice when it harmonizes with Serj's and SOAD managed to do just this. Sumtimes, Daron sings by himself but in a way that his voice fits right in. System Of A Down has a very unique sound. They don't fit into the everyday rock. They fuse heavy metal, alternative, nu metal, greek music, middle eastern and folk instruments, and a poppy funky sound (vicintiy of obscenity verse) into songs that are sumtimes funny and sumtimes serious or both. The only thing is that sumtimes the guitar can just sound the same. // 9

Lyrics: System Of A Down's lyrics are amazing. They can turn lines that don't rhyme into catches. Daron Malakian and Serj Tankian can turn the oddest lines into something hilarious or serious. Sometimes their lyrics don't make sense so that you can make them your own. This is wat I like about system. Their lyrics fit the sound of the music. If the song is soft, the lyrics are soft, and it sounds good. If the music is hard, the lyrics are hard. Serj and Daron harmonize their voices in just the right way to make things fit right. // 10

Overall Impression: System of a Down can't compare to any other band. They can't it in any category. The are always changin their sound. The best songs depend on what you like in a piece of music. Best songs: Lonely Day, She's Like Heroin, Vicinity Of Obscenity, Soldier Side, Stealing Society and U-Fig. I love everything about the CD and the way it fits with Mezmerize (musically and physically). I hate the way that sumtimes (not all the time) the guitar parts almost sound the same. If it were stolen or lost, I'm 100% sure that I would buy it again. Heck, I mite even just get the dual disc version even though I have the normal one. Get this CD! // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2005

Sound: Wat a difference a slight change in guitar tuning makes? This album is tuned half a step higher than previous SOAD. Now wat this does it make it much more clear, and you can hear the guitar parts more clearly. This makes it much easier to listen to than say toxicity or SOAD. The styles are so varied its just amazing. Theres folk, pop, numetal, middle eastern, funk! All blended to perfection. This ofcourse is part two of Mezmerise/Hypnotize. It is as good and if not better than the Mezmerise album. Put them together and you get a goliath of an album! This album is truly original, if you're not a SOAD fan you will be. Believe me. I'm speaking from experience. Fans should enjoy, I consider myself a fan now as I went back and listened to Toxicity and their debut. What's funny is that I hated Toxicity before, but after listening to this and Mezmerise, my ears must have been desensitised. // 9

Lyrics: General silly, and poetic lyrics you would expect from SOAD. Tracks like 'Hypnotize', 'Soldier Side', 'Dreaming' to name a few, having some really thought provoking lyrics. Hypnotise: ' I'm just sitting in my car and waiting for my girl' obviously making fun of the americanized culture of sit and wait. The singing is unbelievable. The way Serj and Daron's harmonies fit in unison is astonishing. Check out 'Soldier Side' if you don't belive me. Worst lyrics on 'Lonely Day' but it don't matter 'cause it's a blazing song! Maybe the biggest downside (so everyone says, and I have to agree) is the way Serj is not such a dominating factor anymore, voice and lyrics wise. It seems that Daron sabotaged Serj's microphones after he left the studio and cranked up his own voice to 10. Even when Daron is singing in the background of the majority of the songs, you hear his voice as if he wants to be the centre of attention. Don't get me wrong, Daron does a brilliant job on 'Lonely Day'. But Serj's voice is what identifies SOAD. Like Liam Gallagher for Oasis or Axl Rose for Guns 'N Roses. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to Toxicity and their self-titled debut, it's better in some ways and worse in others. The main downfall is the backseat Serj has taken on this album (and Mezmerise). Not as heavy as previous, but that isnt a bad thing, you are left migraine free. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: gano22perez, on november 29, 2005

Sound: hypnotize is definitely radio friendly and will do well for quite some time, other songs which stand out like "Kill Rock N roll" take a couple times to get used to but are awesome and grow on you like mold on bread. Holy Mountains, and Lonely Days, and Soldier Side are also noteworthy, darker slower tunes which have some radio play in the future. Heroine is a 50/50 love it or hate it, the backup vocals can either suck or express Beavis A. D. D skitzo-like attitude. // 7

Lyrics: Creative lyrics, whig out verses, and dominant Serj-esque gruffness make this album a must for System Of A Downers. Kinda off beat SOAD style. What can you say about Serj's vocal skills. // 3

Overall Impression: Compares to a must have compared to other albums. Like I said above in the first paragraph are the most impressive songs. Above again in the first paragraph my loves and hates. If lost or stolen would probably buy something else than buy it again, and just pay a few cents downloading the four songs above maybe Tenative, and Society also. // 6

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down is commonly becoming a household name as the band could be considered one of the most popular and infuential bands today. Six months after chart topping Mezmerize they have released part two of their double album. Hypnotize, again proves to be a masterpeice from System Of A Down, they have headed in a new funk/metal direction while still keeping the sound they had prior to Mezmerize/Hypnotize. The guitar parts in Hypnotize aren't as memorable as Mezmerize and Toxicity (though Daron Malakian is one of the best and most creative guitar players of the nu age) but the great harmony of Serj and Daron's voices truly show on this one. Shavo and John do great again with the drums and the bass. This could be the best and most powerful album that System has ever done. It gets better everytime you listen to it. // 10

Lyrics: System is known for using many metaphors in their lyrics, and have admitted that in many of thier songs there is no true meaning, but System Of The Down's lyrics, in my opinion are genious even if you don't understand them, on Hypnotize the lyrics get stronger and stranger than ever before: "Attack," "Dreaming," "Tentative," "Holy Mountains" and "Soldier Side's" lyrics are very powerful abd deep, while songs like "Kill Rock N' Roll," "Viscinity Of Obscenity" and "She's Like Heroin" have a funny sort of edge to them. Vocally System has their own type of music, I am glad that daron started singing as well as Serj, and it is especially great when their voices go into harmony with eachother. // 10

Overall Impression: Hypnotize is better than their self titled album and steal this album. It is really close between Hypnotize, Mesmerize and Toxicity, but there again it might have a sly edge because of the creativity. This album is great, the dual disc version is good because you get the BYOB and Question! video's. There is also a short documentary on the making of the album, which really isn't that interesting because it doesn't show what's going on, just a bunch of songs and images mixed together with an occasional speaking part, but that doesn't really matter, the CD is what is important, if you lose it buy it again, it is so good. Serj, Daron, Shavo, and John have all grown into what is now one of the biggest, most influential, smartest, and most creative bands on the planet. I can't wait to see what they do next. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2005

Sound: Although this will be disputed, I believe this to be System's best album yet. It's amazing to listen to their beats and rythems mature through time. Everything about this album is amazing, System continually keeps you wondering, because their style is never certain, you could have the relatively soft songs like Soldier Side, you could have hard, thrashy songs like Tentative, or just plain weird songs like Viscinity Of Obscenity. This Album paired with Mezmerize could easily be the release of the year. // 10

Lyrics: Well, lyrics is always a sloppy subject with System. Sometimes you will have songs with strong meaning and genius lyrics like Hypnotize and Soldier side, or you could have pointless almost irritating lyrics like Kill Rock N' Roll. Serj impresses once more and Darron is improving at a fast pace. This album more than others marries their voices, as they sound perfect together. the pros outweigh the cons though, because this album has overall great lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, as I said before, may very well be the hit of the year. As System improves and matures, so does their music. Hypnotize is my hands down favorite album of any band ever. 01. Attack - when I first heard the intro I thought my iPod was somehow skipping, but besides that this song is a great opener for Hypnotize with a semi-heavy metal beat. The lyrics might offend republicans though 8/10. 02. Dreaming - another heavier song, also a great song. But this song might possibly be impossible to understand lyricwise, but whos cares when the beat is so great 8/10. 03. Kill Rock 'n' Roll - I didn't like this one too much, its just kinda, well, I dunno what it is. The lyrics are almost annoying and the beat is lackluster 4/10. 04. Hypnotize - one of my favorite three songs on this album. Another political song with a strong message so once again it may not make as many freinds. It's got a softer beat, but its nonetheless a great song 10/10. 05. Stealing Society - this song is odd, but it's pretty good. The beat is ok. It's not as heavy as others but nentheless an ok song 7/10. 06. Tantative - another of my favs on this album, reminds me of Toxicity alot. Nice beat and an awesome chorus 10/10. 07. U-Fig - this is a good song as well, not the best on the album, but definetly good quality System Of A Down 7/10. 08. Holy Mountains - another slower song, bot one of my favs, but definatly a good song. Once again there are strange lyrics, but they work 6/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - this song is worth a good laugh. It is by far one of the strangest song to come from SOAD. It's dangerously catchy though, I have to listen to listen to it over and over 9/10. 10. Lonely Day - this song I didn't like much. It has a beat that is once again fairly slow, but it just doesn't work. The lyrics are boring and everything else is sub-par 5/10. 11. Soldier Side - this song is a musical masterpiece, everything works perfectly, and this is by far my favorite System song ever. The beat is great and the lyrics actually mean something 10/10. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Stealthbass, on november 30, 2005

Sound: Another great CD by SOAD. This CD has it all. It has heavy metal, alternative metal, hard rock. This band has the most impact on one's soul and how this music goes into the depths of everyone's lives and makes the best sound known to humans. This is a fast, slow, and crazy fast album. Strap in to listen because you will be either blown or tormented from the spot you stand at to listen to this beauty. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are some of the best. The blend of Serj and Daron makes the best lyrics I have ever heard. They make a mellow and calming sound to the soul. // 9

Overall Impression: This is off the scales compared to most other bands. This band is in the top 15, at least, of new modern rock bands. The most impressive songs are every one. No really, they all are superb. But the best: Attack, Dreaming, Hypnotize, Stealing Society, U-Fig, and Holy Mountains. I love every part of this cd. They didn't disappoint me. Great Job. If it were stolen/lost I would most definitely buy it back. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Uninspired_One, on november 30, 2005

Sound: I started listening to SOAD between Toxicity and Steal This Album and loved them. I got everything by them I could get my hands on. Then Mezmerize came out. That album dissapointed me. It seemed to have changed completely from the SOAD I had listened to before. Hypnotize makes up for it in every way. Filled with that feeling of rocking out but chilling that I have only heard from SOAD is recreated with this album. Also that weird squealing crazyness is back too. By releasing this new album I think that System has reattained their old sound. Darron, in my opinion, sings very well and has a nice voice that goes with the style of the music though sometimes he doesn't harmonise well with Serj. // 8

Lyrics: For the most part the lyrics are extremely good but, there are a few exceptions. Lonely Day is a good example of this: "Such a lonely day should be banned," "The most lonelest day of my life," "Such a lonely day shouldn't exist." This is pretty bad but they make up for it with other lyrics and good music. Well, like I said for the most part the lyrics are written well. They have the complication that the tipical System songs do, that way of saying something stupid out loud but meaning something serious and as always Serj's singing is really good. Darron could work at it a little. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this is a really good album. I most like the title track. It is one of those songs that makes you want to head bang and cry at the same time. I do complain about the length of the songs. None of the System Of A Down CDs have ever been really long but these last two have been really short. I would really like one of their CDs to last a little longer. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: worrptbl43, on december 01, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down has been great in the past. By far their best albums are their first three, but Mezmerize was still good. However they did take a different approach in sound on it. But I think on this album they took it too far. This album is soo slow compared to the self titled or toxicity. For me it's a bad change, for Mezmerize I grew to like it, but their new sound is just down right bad. // 4

Lyrics: System Of A Down's lyrics were never the best, pretty different, but it's political. I haven't given this album too much time, but from what I've heard it isn't great. Daron's singing seems to have gotten more involved also, on Mezmerize it was good, but too far I think here. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall this is System worst album. Don't get me wrong, I love System, but the new SOAD is way disapointing. The sound is slow and different, I don't like it. I don't really get all the hype about this album, but I dissagree, the songs are just too slow and the lyrics are too stupid for System, they could do much better. Hell I didn't even buy it in the first place, so no I wouldn't replace it. // 5

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Red.Washburn77, on december 02, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down released Hypnotize/Mezmerize, apparently, to introduce listeners to their new sound. Hypnotize is not as heavy an album as Mezmerize, as it has much less distortion, and Daron Malakian uses less palm muting. Malakian has also broken away from strictly power chored, and has started using the higher strings more than on albums such as "System Of A Down" and "Steal This Album!" All in all, it is a much calmer CD that Mezmerize, and previos records. SOAD fuses multiple genres in different songs, combining metal and pop punk, a bit of mainstream hip hop, and some techno, and (as always) Armenian folk music. // 9

Lyrics: As always, System of a Down has managed to make us laugh when telling us of the horrors of the world. Songs like "Kill Rock 'N' Roll" ("So I felt like a total asshole, when I killed your rock and roll, mow down the sexy people! ) deliver a message in a fairly lighthearted way. This half of the Mezmerize/Hypnotize double album deals much more with war, with only a few songs, ("Vicinity of Obscenity," to name one) that don't. System of a Down also completes the first track of "Mezmerize" (Soldier Side intro) with the last track of "Hypnotize" (Solder Side). The song's haunting lyrics about young people going off to war, never to return. It has an old message with a powerful new delivery. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an album that is much more "MTV friendly," as it is less aggressive, with less "attack the government!" kind of songs. I, personally, prefer albums such as "System Of A Down" and "Toxicity," because of the heavier sound, but many people would disagree. I'd recommend this CD to anyone who's just getting into metal, or even to a long-time metal listener. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: stormchaser, on december 05, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album was very good. It was somewhat mellower than in previous albums, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll give it a song-by-song review: 01. Attack - very good song 8/10. 02. Dreaming - this could be the best on the album. Combination of headbanging and mellow music 10/10. 03. Kill Rock 'n' Roll - pretty good. Weird rhythms in parts 7/10. 04. Hypnotize - very good song. Sounds more like rock than nu-metal 8/10. 05. Stealing Society - good, but very repetitive 6/10. 06. Tentative - really good. Headbangers' delight 9/10. 07. U-Fig - really weird. Some good parts 5/10. 08. Holy Mountains - very good. If I saw this live, everyone would sing along, especially that "Liar! Killer! Demon!" part 9/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - really, really weird, not really very good 3/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - this song is so weird I can't figure out why I like it so much 9/10. 11. Lonely Day - kinda boring. Plus, Malakian says "The most lonliest day." Bad grammar alert! 12. Soldier Side - excellent follow-up to soldier side on Mezmerize 9/10. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were generally really weird. It's like they're all all of a sudden on LSD or sumptin. I liked the ones on mezmerize more. They fit well with the music though. It's really cool how Malakian and Serj sing together. They're both so good. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums, it's good. Mezmerize was a bit better, but this is still very worth buying. The best songs are Dreaming, Hypnotize, Tentative, Holy Mountains, and Soldier Side. Pretty much the only thing that detracts from the album is that is was weird. Very strange all round. Even so, given the choice again I'd buy like twenty copies of this. // 8

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2005

Sound: The sound and music in the last 2 albums (Mezmerize, Hypnotize) has changed greatly from the old System we all knew, their music has broken through more new ground than any band in the last 20 years. This album does not dissapoint, like Mezmerize it is unpredictable but the System sound is still there. Very cool little thing with the album the cardboard flap inserts into the mezmerize album to create a double CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were as always very strange in the album not to say thats a bad thing that's just System, the harmonies well its soad so of course they are amazing but they were especially amazing in this album. Daron of course sings a lot like in Mezmerize and it really works for system, Serj and Daron both have amazing vocals, and in songs like tentative and She's Like Heroin they both shine. // 10

Overall Impression: 99% of System fans would undoubtly call toxicity their best album, however Hypnotize is definatly in the same league, easily there best half of this double album, Mezmerize was an awesome build up to a great hypnotize. I truley believe System have changed the face of rock and just when you thought they cant do anything new, Hypnotize and Mezmerize come out and it blows you away, a must by for everybody. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Dr. Flash, on december 05, 2005

Sound: The truth is that System of a Down is one of my favourite bands and Hypnotize is one of my favourite albums! This CD is the second part of Mezmerize. They delivered there own genre one more time. Nice guitars, nice singing and drums and everything! It's fascinating! // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics like in all of the previous System Of A Down albums. The lyric and the music matches all along. In my opinoin "Attack" and "Hypnotize" are the most magnificent tracks of this album but the rest of the recording is very good too. Serj Tankian singer is performing very well all along the album. The vocals are like the other System albums. Fans will like it. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is really great. It is not better than Mezmerize but we can disregard about this, because this studio effort is not a dissapointment for me and I don't think it is a dissapointment to anyone, who likes this band. Really worths buying. A very clever way to spend your pocketmoney. Well, see it for yourself! // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 09, 2005

Sound: A long time ago, in my house. I was watchin Kkkerrang TV. My mate had been going on about the new System Of A Down single "BYOB." I was waiting for it then it finally came on. After being blown out of my seat and into a different world of music I decided to buy Mesmerize. At first I thought why did I bother, but soon got a addicted. And listened to it at least once a day otherwise I would break down. I loved it so much but in its infancy the idea of a second album to follow was not known and I felt that System Of A Down had not put in a good enough effort for 4 years work. But the new album soon was the only thing in my life I cared about getting. Using my grannies christmas money I got the album and straightaway listened to it in the car. Headbanging all the way home. The intro to Attack just is nuts, and the way it is cut off by beautiful singing is simply divine. True SOAD style, reminding me of the classic album Toxicity (which I got soon after Mesmerize). The rest of the songs follow suit, Hypnotize is a nice break from the madness of tracks 1-3. Then the madness continues through tracks 5-7. Then track 8 blows your mind. Tracks 9 and 10 give you more dose of madness. Singing about prostitutes drugs and even terecotta pie! Then track 11 plods on a little, but the ending reminds you of the time you heard the end of the soldiers side intro, and now you enter the soldier side song itself. The ending sounds like the beginning of Mesmerize. Quite a choker actually. Brilliant and powerful. Making the two albums start and finish in the same place. A brilliant and well executed project, its going to be a long 3 years without them. // 10

Lyrics: They are at times very powerful and political. "Attack all the homes and villages, schools and hospitals." Wonder what that is talking about? "Where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall down." The Lyrics for Holy Mountain are extremly powerful and beautifully poetic. Other times though the lyrics are purposefully drugged up nonsense, such as "Banana banana banana terecotta... banana banana banana terecotta pie." Why the hell? What the hell? But you have a laugh. I mean why do we learn defeat from whores with bad feet? Good fun and catchy jingles just go together beautifully. Sometimes though, the lyrics are just a bit rubbish. For example "Such a lonely day and its mine... the most lonliest day of my life" Most lonliest? Most lonley, or lonliest, nothing in between. But most of the time, they are political, beautiful or just plain nuts. Gives lots of variety. // 9

Overall Impression: I will answer the questions in the guidlines. this year has seen some of the greatest rock bands bringing out new and better stuff. To list a few: Rammstein, Foo fighters, Audioslave, Him, Nickelback, Bullet For My Valentine. But System Of A Down, for me have made 2005 the best year for Rock ever. They continue to dazzle, surprise and never lose their mystery. And, coming from someone who owns all their albums, I think Toxicity might be going into 2nd place in the best album race. But maybe that is a bit too bold a statement. The most impressive songs on the album are definitley: Attack - awesome intro, angry lyrics, great rock; Kill Rock And Roll - where part of the song is pure headbanging heaven; Hypnotize - a song that builds, gathers pace and climaxes beautifully; Holy Mountains - angry, poetic and epic all in one go; Soldier Side - gives you a lump in your throat, "Why oh why did this have to end?" I love the fact this album at first listen is awesome, but not complete. Then several 10's of listens later you have it in the bag, and you love it even more. It is not a chore, but a joy to explore, and even then you will not know it all. I don't hate anything, just my least favourite song is Loneley Day, only because of its position on the CD, you have geared yourself after several mental songs and epic tracks, then you sort of a get a chilling out song. But it does present the last song with a strong foundation. If it were stolen, well I would go straight to the shop to get it back, and report the criminal to the Police for stealing a VIP, very important present. My Grannie got me this. Bet she would love it. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Sheck, on december 09, 2005

Sound: This album has taken me on a journey over and over again. Every time I listen to it, I start to hear more layers of lyrics and music. I realize more and more the genious tapestry SOAD has weeved together for this album. It's definately metal, like their other stuff, but like Mezmerize, there are influences from different styles of music. Daron's layers of guitar fall together beautifully to contrast their harmonizing voices. // 10

Lyrics: Some lyrics, such as "Soldier Side" and "Holy Mountain" wowed me, some like "U-Fig" and "Attack" impressed me. The only song with somewhat questionable lyrics is "Vicinity of Obscenity." Most of the time, the lyrics are really good, and most of the songs which lyrics don't wow me, I usually don't understand. If I knew what "Vicinity Of Obscenity" was about, I'm sure I'd appreciate it more. Obviously, Serj Tankian is a more talented lyricist than Daron Malakian, but Daron's writing is good nonetheless. // 8

Overall Impression: The album as a whole is great. By far one of the best this year, probably explaining why it hit #1. If you've been anticipating this album, don't wait; it's amazing. Fans who didn't like Mezmerize probably won't find a deep bond with Hypnotize either. Daron once said that if SOAD constantly put out albums that sounded just like each other, there would be no point to putting out new albums at all. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: happy alone, on december 09, 2005

Sound: System Of A Down's last album, Mezmerize, was good but it lacked the quality of the great songs from toxicity. Hypnotize goes beyond Mezmerize and rivals Toxicity as an album with songs like the title song Hypnotize and Holy Mountains being of great quality and songs like Vicinity Of Obcinity and kill rock and roll being up to systems usuall wierdness. They manage to break away from all their wierdness with Lonley Day which is a normal slow song that sonds great. // 9

Lyrics: Yet again Serj and Daron manage to beat everyone else for great yet wierd lyrics with lines like "Bannana bannana bannana bannana teracotta bannana teracotta teracotta pie" from Vicinity Of Obcinity and "Chinese tricks in rooms with ghosts of hooker girly dudes" from She's Like Heroin proving that they can still write great lyrics that get stuck in your head for days but all the lyrics on the album don't seem to match tis line from She's Like Heroin "She want's nothing more but to be a little whore he wants noting less than to wear a little dress" so System Of A Down have again proven that they are great lyricists. // 10

Overall Impression: My personal view on the album is that it beats all systems albums since toxicity and is their second best album ever behind only Toxicity. I think that it is better than most of the album released this year with a possible exception with Funeral For A Friend's Hours. // 8

Hypnotize Reviewed by: treehugger20, on december 10, 2005

Sound: The first time I heard System, I just fell in love with the sound. There wasn't really anything else like them around, and so I was drawn to their art. Following their growth through the years, I must say that Hypnotise is 100% System! Their creative guitar fiffs and simply the way they put it all together keeps you hooked. It's the perfect follow-up to mesmerize. A lot of people say it doesn't come close, but my 2 cents is, if they had put all the song on a single cd it would sound complete. They have definitely stayed true to what the System sound is all about (I've heard Daron say their music is in no way Armenian, but wherever they get their influence, Hypnotise and their other albums are grade A). // 10

Lyrics: When I first heard Mesmerize, I thought, what's this dude (Daron) doing singing? But 1/2 way through, I realised that his voice goes well with the sound and with Serj's. Daron's voice holds sort of an eerie element to it (he sound almost like the guitar sometimes)but I'm glad that he decided to start singing. The lyrics on Hypnotise, are as metaphoric and to the point as System gets. A lot of them are silly too, but they've always had silly songs on all their cds. "Banana terracotta pie", and "do we all learn defeat from the whores with bad feet" are some fo the silly stuff they say (and that's only from one song). The lyrics, their voices, and the music are very well incorpoated though. Daron's voice give "welcome to the the soldier side" an eerie appeal of loss and sadness, that makes the song a great rock ballad. The fact that not only Serj is writing the lyrics now, does not detract from or 'soften up' their music, it's just as out there and controversial as ever. Soldier Side: "he's gone so far to find the truth, he's never going home", about all the soldiers that have died. Dreaming: "you went beyond, and you lost it all, why did you go there" obviously about the Bush war. And Attack which is about the wrongs of urbanisation, harming the environment, and the obvious title "attack" (the war in Iraq) 'breathing each other's lies, the bombing of all homes and villages, bleeding 'til the day that we attack'. They have always showed how the system is going down. // 10

Overall Impression: For me it was excellent listening, and definitely lives up to its hype. Lots of people say that their sales are proof of how bad the album is, but I disagree. The fan who sees how much they've grown, and how much more comfortable they are with their art, will appreciate Hypnotise for the creativity that it is. I love that Daron is able to give show fans what he's capable of. I think the fact that he got a chance to do that shows how comfortable they are with what they do as a group. I didn't know he was so creative. Who knows, maybe John or Shavo will get to show their own on the next album. I'm open to anything they do, so long as they keep their lyrics true to what they are. I hate the fact that some people give this album such a hard time. If you haven't heard it, get it for yourself and don't let someone else's opinion affect your buying it. Buy! Buy! Buy! Get one! Get two! in case you lose one. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: ripbarney12, on december 10, 2005

Sound: This new album takes anything system has done before, mashes it all together, throws it in a blender, drops a few steroids in, and serves it up in a nice CD case, fitting with the other half, Mezmerize. Starting with Attack, a fast, heavy song, with a soothing verse, very reminiscent of parts of BYOB mixed with one of their slow ballads, such as spiders. The album ends with a completed reprise of Soldier Side, in my opinion, their strongest song written. With a nice clean sounding beginning, this song transfers between a power ballad of sorts, a beautifully harmonized chorus, and the finale to end all finales, the reprise of "Welcome to the soldier side," done with some of the heavyest distortion I've heard come from daron in a while. Beautifully done. // 10

Lyrics: Each song on this CD has a different message, wheather it be the government fearing "The day when we attack," the whole american society "Just sitting in their car" waiting for somebody else to take care of their problems, or just simply, a "Lonely Day" this CD it probably one of their more versatile. // 10

Overall Impression: if this Cd were stolen, I would run out the next day and buy it, because this CD is something that every rock guitarist needs in their collection. I felt like such a nerd, the second I walked out of the store with this cd, I grabbed my guitar, detuned it to Db, and learned half the CD. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: burningcowsrule, on december 12, 2005

Sound: They're back at their best, with short, catchy songs like Hypnotize and Soldier Side to songs like Dreaming and Stealing Society that are on the verge of anthemic and the plain bizzare like Vicinity Of Obscenity this album has averything that made System great and more. // 9

Lyrics: Daron's really singing properly in this album, in the previous albums I noticed he sang a bit flat on some songs, but he's spot on on this album. The lyrics are typically System, with the thought provoking (Soldier Side - 'They were crying when their sons left. God is wearing black') to the stoned-out-of-their-heads (vicinity of Obscenity - 'bananna bananna bananna teracotta bananna terracotta terracotta pie') // 8

Overall Impression: As alwas with System, it's different from their other work, but a cut above most of the other stuff you hear. The only song that let it down was Vicinity of Obscenity, it doesnt have any partcularly rocky parts, but it's not the kind of song you would put on if you wanted to relax or concentrate on something else. The standout tracks are Dreaming, Stealing Society, Tenative and Soldier Side. I wouldn't mind so much if the CD was lost or stolen because I've saved it onto my computer, but if I hadn't done that and I lost it or it was stilen I'd be pretty pissed off. It's definately worth getting, like most records, it makes an impression first time you listen to it, then grows on you as listen to it more. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: luvarmenians, on december 13, 2005

Sound: The band's sound is a completely unique mixture of different things. They really have a knack at creating catchy tunes that are both strange, likeable, and just great to listen to. The heavy guitar and bass, backed with the rhythmic beat of the drums (especially in the song Hypnotize) is easy to fall into, and combined with their melodic vocals and screams, they definately fall under my favourites. We can agree their style is both aggressivly and intellegently written, and definately does some pissing off of yon neighbors. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a mixture of Queen and Politics, not to mention that tolerable swirl of blood, sex, and booze which is displayed in a hardcore manner, yet is made to seem almost irrelevant with comical statements, melodic quotes and the overall impression of System of a Down's careless style and melodic frame of mind. The music is almost written in the viewpoint of a foreigner, and may or may not have to do with the fact the band is completly armenian? The music and the lyrics fit well together. Sarcastic and in your face is the style of their work. Daron and their lead singer (their names are so damn hard to remember) work well with one another, bouncing melodies and harmonies off the other, and still keeping pitch, time, and most important-sustaining their notes. // 10

Overall Impression: They remind me most of Queen, because of their sarcastic lyrics and (as I said) In-Your face views of the world. Their lyrics are almost punk, in the matter they are putting down American authority, but they are honorable in their manner, as they seem to be able to back their opinions openly and logically. Some of the songs I was most impressed with were Soldier Side, Hypnotize, and Holy Mountain. Soldier Side deals with war through the eyes of the Soldiers and their families. It details the pains they both face, and the loneliness the soldiers must feel while so far from their countries, families, and all they know. Hypnotize is said by Daron to simply be about him waiting in his car for his girl, but there are also other references throughout the song. They talk about the poorer countries specifically tiennamen square in China, where they address the minds of the residents. They aren't there to shop and keep up with the latest fasions, but they were forced, and need the food to survive. It may also have to do with the massacre that happened there but China makes most of the material things we use, like clothes and crap, and we buy it but they receive no profit. "Propaganda made you buy it." It's just an overall good song and I can't help but sing along to it. I love this album because of combined reasons you just read, and I can't say there's really anything I hate about it. I would definately buy this album again if it were to be stolen or lost. It is definatly one of my favourites, and along with Mesmerize, I just might survive the rest of my life. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: supertom24, on december 20, 2005

Sound: The sound is excellent. Malakian has his own style of guitar playing and that is the fast riffs. System Of A Down are a good band because they have created there own style of music and no other band will be able to recreate it. It is unique to System Of A Down and will always be. As for the artwork, it was created by Daron Malakian's father. The idea of joining Mezmerize and Hypnotize together was a great idea. The only downside is that it could have more songs. I think a essential extra would be a live DVD. That would really show how System Of A Down really play. // 9

Lyrics: Some people say that System of a Down's lyrics are random. But judging from past interviews with Malakian, he writes about his emotions. For example, in the song Tentative, it says, "where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall." This implies that Malakian is talking about terrorists on the US. There are two singers. Serj Tankian, the lead singer and Daron Malakian the secondary singer. Both have excellent voices. They are both melodic singers, Malakian being the more melodic singer. The only downside is that they should go back to old-style lyrics, like the ones in Toxicity. // 9

Overall Impression: Comparing it to other albums, it certainly is a contender. The music, singers, lyrics are second to none. Finishing off Soldier Side was a great idea. Compared to albums like Slipknot's Slipknot album, it doesn't quite match up to it because Slipknot is still a classic in my opinion. Songs that stand out are Kill Rock 'n' Roll, Tentative and Holy Mountains. If it was stolen, I would most certainly buy another copy! Absolutely brilliant! // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: thecameronator, on december 27, 2005

Sound: This is one of their best albums yet! They have definitly taken a huge step since their first album. The guitar is great especially in songs such as, Holy Mountains, Dreaming, Attack, etc. Their drummer and bassist done a great job. The music suits Daron's voice a little more then their previous albums. // 10

Lyrics: Great songwriting, the lyrics are (mostly) very political, which is quite normal for Soad. As I said before Daron's voice suited these songs a little more then their previous albums. Serj and Daron are great with their duets, solos and whatever else they can do. // 10

Overall Impression: A perfect ending for the Mezmerise/Hypnotize combo, especially the idea of having 'Soldier Side' at the end of Hypnotize to finish off the intro in Mezmerise. I think all the songs on this CD are great, they range from political (Soldier Side) to funny (Viscinety Of Obsenity) to emotional (Lonely Day), etc. If it was lost or stolen I would defenitly buy it again (if I can't find the guy who stole it). // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2005

Sound: I already was a great fan of System Of A Down, and I am maybe an even bigger fan after I had heard their new album: Hypnotize. A few years ago, when I heard System Of a Down for the first time, I didn't even like it, but I lend the CD (Toxicity) from a friend. I listened it a few times, and I began to like it. I bought it myself and I became a bigger fan every day. A month later I also bought the first album, and after that I bought all their new albums the day after they were released. Toxicity, is in my opinion their best album. It has a big variation of songs, all songs are different. With their newer cds this is less, which is a pitty, but anyway I still like them. I also went to their concert, which was great! I bought Hypnotize the day after the release in the Netherlands (somewhere in november I think). After I had listened to it once, I thought it wasn't very special. But I listened it more and more, and now I think it is special. I bought the cd with dvd on the otherside. Everybody says that the dvd is messy, and not nice because of that. I agree that it is messy, but I still like it. It's just fun to watch. The difference in price with dvd and without dvd was just 1 euro, so I think the money isn't thrown away. As I already said, I know think the cd is special. The sound is a bit like Mezmerize (they also belong together, so logical), but very different then Toxicity, the Self-titled or Steal This Album! My favourite songs are Kill Rock 'N' Roll and Dreaming, and there is no song which I don't like. // 8

Lyrics: I think that their lyrics are good, I don't agree with everything they say, but they have an opinion, and they really use it in their lyrics. Not like: I love you this, I love you that. I'm Dutch, so I do not understand everything they say. I did some research, but not of everything. The ones I totally understand are most of them now. I agree also with most of them, but not all. This doesn't really matter to me, because it's not that important. If it sounds good, and it does, then I don't mind. I think the singer has good skills, he sings from hard to soft, high low etc. Not one kind of voice all the time. I do think that he sings too fast sometimes, so it's hard to understand, or to follow if you want to sing allong. // 10

Overall Impression: I think System of a Down is very alternitive, so you can't compare it to other artists/bands. The most impressive songs on the album is Soldier Side, it's not my favourite, but the lyrics are good, and I also agree with the lyrics. I think this is their best album except for Toxicity, which is perfect. If it was lost/stolen I know for sure that I would buy it again. I like it very much, and am just a big System of a Down fan. I want all their cds, so I'm sure I would buy it again. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The CD has a really incredible hybrid rock-metal sound that explores past the hard rock sound of 'Toxixty' and later 'Steal This Album!' and interludes with a more melodic sound that Mesmerize started to touch on. It still has blistering rock riffs retrospective to the bands self-titled album and Toxicity. It is a CD that you can both listen to when you're in the mood for intense rock ("Attack," "Tentative," "Dreaming") or if you would rather hear a more laid-back, though still trademark, System of a Down sound, in "Lonely Day" or the album-titled "Hypnotize." As well, for the goofy, far-out songs that we have come to expect from SOAD, such as "Kill Rock N' Roll" and "Vicinity Of Obscenity." My first impression of the CD, as a summary, was "Wow, this is the perfect SOAD CD." It combines everything we love about SOAD and proves that System has only gotten better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this particular album are varied. touching on different angles of the political rock lyrics Serj Tankian has given us to this point. The most notable change in the lyrics as compared to past SOAD albums is that Daron Malakian lends his voice to many of the songs. "Lonely Day" and "She's Like Heroin" are solo efforts, and Daron sings along with Serj on "Stealing Society" and "Hypnotize" among others. The general sound of the lyrics is goofy and weird at times, but good overall. Heres a general summary of the songs: 01. Attack - the trademark political rant of SOAD. Sung by Serj primarily, it has the gritty screaming hes renowned for. 02. Dreaming - one of those SOAD songs that makes you question what they're getting at. Its sung mostly by Serj, but Daron sings in it too. It has a more metal sound than the rest of the album, but is nonetheless a great song. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - one of the more absurd songs on the album. I have no insight as to what it represents, but it is a very catchy and humorous song. When I toss in Hypnotize, I usually skip Attack and Dreaming and go to this song. 04. Hypnotize - the best song on the album (though not my favorite), and rightfully so. Serj and Daron sing in perfect harmony, and the lyrics, though confusing, inspire you to think. The guitar is not the usual C-Tuned rock of SOAD. It is more similar to the finger-picking sound that makes itself evident on songs such as "Roulette" and "Spiders." 05. Stealing Society - a strange song that has really good guitar and drums, and a fairly SOADish, profane bridge at the end that makes you laugh. 06. Tentative - the heaviest song on the album. It is more reminiscent of the earlier SOAD albums, looking back to the C tuning and screaming of Toxicity and Steal This Album! I typically skip past it, as I personally favor the more melodic sounds of Hypnotize and Mesmerize, but my personal opinion or listening consistency do not make it any less of a. 07. U-Fig - a metaphorical rock song that makes you think of songs such as IEAIAO and BYOB. I've heard many accounts of what the story of the song is. U-Fig supposedly stand for You Flag-Waving Ignorant Geeks. 08. Holy Mountains - the longest song musically and the shortest lyrically, it has plenty of instrumental input and repetitiveness. It is definently the most somber song on the album, with a low-key singing part for the vocals, with a semi-screamo chorus. It is laden with a dark gutiar part and throbbing drum part. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - wonderfully pointless. 10. She's Like Heroin - the funniest song on the album. It may be a Part Two to Vicinity of Obscenity, considering the lyrics of the two songs. It is an all Daron song, and his high voice seems to fit the part excellently. However, it is a less family-friendly song (to those of you who would actually listen to this CD with you family), and you can skip by it without feeling like you missed too much. 11. Lonely Day - despite the fact that we don't hear Serj sing much, and the fact that Daron obviously doesn't understand basic grammar (the "most lonliest day of my life"), it is still my favorite song on the album. It is a great song to listen to when you are bummed out or tired (at least compared to other songs on the album). Besides, a little bad grammar here and there is hardly an issue in music. If you turn down a song for grammar, you are either an English teacher or a loser. I hate both, myself. 12. Soldier Side - the most meaningful song on the album, and the most easily interpreted. It ties together Hypnotie and Mesmerize, with the SS intro starting off Mesmerize. It is a nice song, sung mainly by Serj, and has the political aspects of War. Hopefully it will become as much of a success in SOAD history as War did. // 9

Overall Impression: A wicked CD, touching on everything we love about SOAD, and stuff we didn't love about them before, but do now. If I had to choose 3 standout songs to let the public know what the album was about Hypnotize, Dreaming, Lonely Day. And by the way, if someone stole this CD from me, I would buy the Hypnotize Mesmerize double pack, and a bunch for my friends. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Briteless, on january 04, 2006

Sound: I thought that this album was the ultimate System album. It had great riffage, awesome heavy chord progressions. I still can't stop listening to nearly every song on that album. Some of my favourite would have to be, Stealing Society, Hypnotize, Vicinity Of Obscenity, Attack, and Holy Mountains. Now those are only my favourites, every song on this album is brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, by themselves, were quite odd, which isn't odd for System. For example, the main lyrics in Vicinity of Obscenity, are "banana, banana, banana, teracota, banana, teracota, teracota pie." This however is quite different. Serj's voice is very suitable to the music (and lyrics) as usual. The addition of Mr. Malakian's lead vocals, are in my opinion fine, nothing wrong with them. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, overall, has to be that it is a great album, with funny/serious lyrics, great guitar work, great drumming, great bass, and that's all their is to it. If this was stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: ryda18, on january 09, 2006

Sound: This is a corker! Best album outta the two released last year, absolutley awesome! Mezmerize had a more commercial feel to it, but it was stil good. Most of the bettter tracks are on Hypnotize, and so it had more tracks reminscent of Toxicity. Most tracks have the weird, frenzied craziness SOAD fans have come to love, and rightly so. At times it feels like a concept album, especially the final 3 tracks (which are my favourites) She's Like Heroin, Lonely Day and the defining and epic final track, Soldier Side. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals on this album are very similar to Mezmerize, and some of Toxicity. Serj has less to do with this album, as Daron really begins to show off some frontman skills. His presence is definately obvious. Although neither are the greatest singers in the world, they make up for the fact that they have a lot of presence. The confidence of the two is very apparent. Strange lyrics, but powerful all the same. She's Like Heroin is a great example of the riduculus lyrics that are trademark of SOAD now. // 9

Overall Impression: Absolutely mind blowing. Soldier Side is an epic, and some of the other songs are pretty damn good too. Brilliant. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: randomkiller, on january 24, 2006

Sound: The sound of hypnotize is like listeing to any other SOAD, but more punkish. Hypnotize uses a less crazy metal and more controlled than normal (I'm not saying that SOAD is crazy metal). This has a more surfer california style too. The guitar in Hypnotize is crazy awesome. Serj does completely amazing but normal SOAD, but different sound a tiny bit, great album none the less. // 9

Lyrics: Amazing. Many lyrical contreversial songs on this album, great messages through them though. Kill Rock N' Roll (track 3) is about Daron running over a bunny. Through it's lyrics you could only harldy see that. Hypnotize is about all of our lives being controlled by all the goverment, and TV blinding us that truth. Incredible lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: One of their best, not as good as toxicity, but it amazing sound to the whole album is great, same with the lyrics. same SOAD though, great album, but too pop. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: The Spoon, on january 31, 2006

Sound: This album is very different from the usual System Of A Down music. For one, Daron (their guitarist) sings alot more. It adds a new spice to the songs, but eventually, his voice gets annoying. But he still shreds the guitar in this album! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. Some of the songs such as Vicinity of Obscenity and She's Like Herion have some interesting lyrics. Other songs like "Dreaming" and "Stealing Society" have some pretty good lyrics. I like in Dreaming how all of the band is singing something different, but it sounds really good. But of course, what is a SOAD album without politically motivated lyrics? Hypnotize and Attack, along with some other songs, bring it right to you. As mentioned above, Daron sings alot more. Both him and their lead singer, Serj, sing together, it sounds really nice, but Daron's voice gets old. // 8

Overall Impression: This album, in my own opinion, is much better than Mezmerize. The songs are a lot catchier. My favorite songs would be Dreaming, Hypnotize, and Tentative. If it got lost, I might get it again. I still have the other SOAD albums which are much better, but overall, I think you should get this CD. // 8

Hypnotize Reviewed by: fox69, on january 31, 2006

Sound: I, unlike a few System fans, really like Daron's singing in their last 2 albums. Daron is outstanding with his guitar work, Shavo keeps on coming up withmore great bass rifs, and John's drumming was a lot more intense than compared to "Mezmerize." He did a lot of cymbal work, but he stood out much better. I also wanted to point out the little mandolin or what ever it is that daron uses for a lot of solos. It has a very middle-eastern feel, but it's not out of place. A very great sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically they did very well. They were political as always, with songs like "Attack," "Hypnotize" and "Soldier Side." Daron's voice has improved a lot and the only song that I didn't like his singing in was "Hypnotize," just because he sang a little too high for my liking. They all so had a few of those little sensless lyrics that are kinda funny like on "Kill Rock & Roll," when the said "Eat all the grass, Eat all the grass that you want." Overall a very well written album. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been a system fan since "Toxicity" and they havent disappointed my with these last few releases at all. There is only one song that I think was a really bad song and that was "Visinicty Of Obscenity." It's just a little retarded. Other tha that its a flawless CD and I would recommend it to anyone who likes metal that's a little different than anything else thats out there. I'd definetly buy it again if I lost it. // 8

Hypnotize Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on march 17, 2006

Sound: Hypontize sounds like you threw the lyrics of Mezmerize and the sound of Toxicity, with a wee bit of Mezmerize soundwise. It still has the same fast, heavy riffs that the world has grown to love, with some added sounds to keep it interesting. Kill Rock 'N Roll is probably an example of the songs that sound completely different. It is probably one of the best songs on the album, which SOAD has been made famous, taking new concepts and turning them into hits. And their single Hypnotize, has some nice soft sounding music to open, then comes into a heavy, loud rest of the song. Holy Mountains, their longest track, is a very well written song. The light opening breaks into a heavier bridge (? I'm not good like that). Vinicity Of Obscenity is also a good example of "wake you up" style songs, opening soft, breaking into loud, wierd riffs. She's Like Herion and Lonely Day are examples that SOAD can also do slower song, not just scream. // 9

Lyrics: Politcal lyrics are present in just about every song. Like Attack, which, ironically, is attacking the government, saying that if we fall, so do you. Tentative has hints of the war in Iraq in it. I think it's better SOAD express their feeling peacefully, rather than rioting, but that's away from the subject. SOAD is the only band I know if that uses lyrics to make a statement politcally. There are also very wierd lyrics present. Take Vicinity Of Obscenity. "Bannana Bannana Bannana Bannana Tericotta." That is strange. Beyond strange actually. Still, that is one of the things that makes SOAD truelly unique. // 8

Overall Impression: SOAD can't compare to any artist or band, simply because their songs are actually about something, unlike some bands. Their songs have more talent in one riff then some bands out there! Anyway, The most impressive songs are definatly Hypnotize, Stealing Society, Kill Rock 'N' Roll, and Lonely Day. If you don't have this you can't call yourself a SOAD fan. If this was stolen, the FBI would be after the thief. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: SOADRox, on march 18, 2006

Sound: This is one of those head ache inducing CDs that makes your ears bleed after continued listening. I love it! Serj's voice is especially unique, and Daron plays a major role in the vocals on this CD. The political allegories are still present, some are in your face, some are hidden. Either way, you will find them. I'd usually save this for the end of the review, but I love this CD! // 10

Lyrics: You know my style. Break it down now! 01. Attack! - holy! The intro to this song is really cool - Daron's guitar playing is a sign of the amazing, awe-striking, musical talent that is to come. Serj gets his point across rather bluntly, I think. I'm going to try to avoid quoting too much, my quote keys are sticking lately. But you can find the lyrics anywhere, this song rocks! 02. Dreaming - yet another one. This is one of the first head ache inducing tracks on the CD. But let me tell you, it's worth it! Serj's voice totoally doesn't fit the music, then when the background vocals hop it, it gets even weirder. But I'll tell you what, when just Daron sings, sort of the break down, it's truly amazing. 03. Kill Rock 'N Roll - there's a story behind this. Daron was heading out one night and he killed a rabbit. He felt really bad, but he couldn't stop to bury it, being in a rush. So when he returned home later that night, the rabbit's mate was sitting next to it. Daron said he felt so guilty that he had to make a song. That gives us Kill Rock 'N Roll, since he named the rabbit Rock 'N Roll. Remember: Accidents happen in the dark. 04. Hypnotize - the first true masterpiece of the album is this track. The first verse mentions Tiananmen Square, I'd suggest looking into it for those that don't know what happened. But anyway, this is an excellent track, Daron kicks butt, Shavo kicks butt, Serj and John kick butt. Get my drift? 05. Stealing Society - yeah! Oh right! There's something about this track I can't quite put my finger on, but it's amazing. Daron breaks it down a bit again, and Serj keeps singing. A nice mix, sort of a acid induced harmony. 06. Tentative - another head ache inducing track. Somehow addictive. I found myself with my CD player on repeat when I first got this CD for this track. It's got a good message behind it. 07. U-Fig - deception. This track sounds like it'll be normal. Then here comes Serj screaming his lungs out, haha! It's probably the only absolutely annoying track on the CD, but it's still not bad. 08. Holy Mountains - this is somehow a beautiful song. Only because of the meaning. During the Armenian genocides the Turks hid in some mountains, taking refuge. I'm not sure why they are referred to as the Holy Mountains, but they are. 09. Vicinity of Obscenity - all I can say is: What the hell? Totally weird! I quote: Banana banana banana terrecotta, banana banana banana terrecotta pie. Someone was stoned, huh? Hahaha! It's a good song, the break down is good. So are the guitars. 10. She's Like Heroin - this song is about prostitution and how we sell humans for drugs. Selling ass for heroin. 11. Lonely Day - excellent song! The solo in this is something I admire to this day. I don't play electric, only acoustic. But when I find the funds to buy an electric, I will learn this solo. If nothing else, this song makes the CD worth buying. 12. Soldier Side - this is Part II to the original Soldier Side off of Mezmerize. It's a good closing for the CD, and it's an amazing song in and of itself. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a killer CD! It's short, though. 35 minutes, I believe. But worth every cent you'd pay to buy it. If you can manage to buy the dual-disc, buy it, but also buy a single sided disc. My dual-disc is scratched to hell, eventhough I keep it in its case. However the making of and the videos are awesome. I'd say pick this up. If I lost this CD, I'd buy another one, trust me. Why are you still reading this? Go buy this CD! // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2006

Sound: To start off, SOAD is my favourite band of all time. I first heard my friends talking about them. I asked to listen to one of their songs (Chop Suey). I was instantly hooked! Toxicity was the very first album I bought and I loved it. The only one I don't have is Mezmerize. I can't find it in any CD stores or anywhere! Oh, well. I'll get it eventually. Anywho, on to the review. Hypnotize is definitely my favourite SOAD album so far. The sound quality is amazing, the band members are all extremely talented, although, the bass was extremely quiet and had almost no moments at all on Hypnotize. The drumming skills are insane on the majority of the songs on this album (particularly Dreamimg). I've noticed that there has been a lot of guitar solos, interludes, etc. using several guitars at one time, usually clean. Often, you may hear these tremolo picking notes on like the 12+ frets. These fills, IMO, are really cool sounding and really add well to more of the softer, slower songs. I really enjoyed Hypnotize because of the experimentation with overlapping guitar riffs, licks, etc. That is what makes this album so amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Daron and Serj are probably the greatest singers ever. I believe that both Serj and Daron are very powerful vocalists when singing alone, or in harmony, which is what makes me want to sing along! They have "different" vocal styles on the album. First, they have their voices when they scream and make wierd noises, that somehow fit in with the music. Next, they can sing very softly, and bring out a touching, meaningful message to the listener. Often, you'll find that they do both styles in one song, which really adds to the vocal complexity of the music. Daron seems to be taking over and becoming the leader of the band, as he sings most of the songs on Hypnotize. His best moments are on Kill Rock 'N' Roll, Hypnotize, Lonely Day and Soldier Side. Although, Serj can still make himself heard often, his times to shine are in Hypnotize, U-Fig, Vicinity Of Obsenity and Soldier Side. Excellent job, men! // 10

Overall Impression: As I already said, this is System's greatest album (I might change my mind when I hear all of Mezmerize). I do admit, there are some weak points on this album, but other songs make up for it. I'll often pop this into my CD player, or put almost all of the songs on my MP3 player. Now, to list the songs: 01. Attack - this song is a very loud songs, with a heavy intro riff. It quickly quiets down into the verse and keeps changing dynamically. This song is alright, but I kinda lost interest in it after a while. Good Album opener. 02. Dreaming - this is the only song on the album that uses drop C tuning, as used from their older albums. Again, I liked this song at first, but it got a little repetative and quite long, being the second longest on the album. 03. Kill Rock 'n' Roll - where do I begin? This is one of the best songs by SOAD ever! The intro is really cool sounding with the high guitars and Serj's vocalizing. Amazing bridge with the sustained notes by the whole band. This is the shortest song on the album, but it is amazing! 04. Hypnotize - wow! When I first heard this song, I was hypnotized! I love the intro. This is one of the only osngs that I can hear bass in. This song has a very strong meaning to it, and there are some amazing vocals by Daron and Serj. At the interlude, there are like four or five guitars all playing at once. It sounds sweet! Definately one of the best on the CD. 05. Stealing Society - this song has a very cool sounding intro riff, but kind of seems to be a close filler. It has a surfer-like bridge in the song and that also sounds neat. Other than that, the vocals at the end get repetative. I'll listen to this song a little, but is not a highlight of Hypnotize. 06. Tentative - I really like the Interlude in this song, and the outro is really beautiful. The guitar at the beginning gets repetative, and sounds awkward. The vocals are really well done in this song, and I will listen to this sometimes. 07. U-Fig - this is definitely an amazing song! I love it all. It starts out with a lightly distorted guitar and then bursts into the verse with Serj's impressive voice. I like the really fast "beat 'em's and eat 'em's" in the chorus. Excellent singing. The clean interlude is so beautiful, but then explodes into about 5 seconds of heavy fury! The outro is so cool, with the off-beat vocals. Definitely a high point! 08. Holy Mountains - this is the longest song off of Hypnotize. The intro is really long, but extremely catchy. I love the vocal distortions in the verses and the screaming in the chorus! It adds to the complexity of the song. It does tend to get hard to listen to, as System does not have many songs over 5 minutes. Good overall effort. 09. Vicinity Of Obsenity - this song, without a doubt, has the catchiest riff, vocals and lyrics on the whole CD. Bananas, teracotta pies and beating meat is what its all about! This is the funniest song off of the album, and one of the higher points. Not much else to say, other than HA! 10. She's Like Heroin - yet another funny song off of Hypnotize. Excellent guitar skills, with fast riffs and what-non. The chorus is the best part, because of the distorted, yet quiet sounding guitar. Shouting ass is what makes me laugh. After that final chorus like that, it gets repetative because the other half of the song is used for singing verses with no breaks in between them. Excellent song, and it is one of the greatest. 11. Lonely Day - this, IMO is the second best song on this CD. Has a melancholy guitar riff for about 40 seconds, with Daron singing before the rest of the band comes in. This is a softer song by SOAD, and I have to say, it is one of their best slow songs ever. Although, the harmonized guitar solo is the exact opposite of slow. Extremely fast tremolo picking with descending and ascending notes, almost impossible to tab out. This is so beautiful, which makes it a perfect song. 12. Soldier Side - this is the last song on the album, and is the best off of Hypnotize. There could not have ben a better album closer than this song right here. it starts out, yet agian with a clean guitar, but the band enters soon after. The solo to the end of the song is the best part of the whole CD. This is definitely SOAD at their best right here, clocking in at just under 4 minutes, but is worth listening to. The outro is perfect and could not have been made any better. Such a sad, beautiful ending for such an amazing album. Buy the CD for this song. If I ever lost this album, or someone stole it from me, I would already have previously purchased copies just in case. I cannot afford to lose Hypnotize. What a tragedy that would be! I hope System Of A Down can create an entire album as good as Soldier Side! // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: mosh_rocker2006, on may 20, 2006

Sound: When I first bought this album I made sure to listen to Mezmerize before I listened to Hypnotize. What I found out was something completly unexpected. I figured it would sound close to Mezmerize (in a way it does) but after listening to this album countless numbers of times the sounds just blew me away. Everything from the guitar to the singing, it all meshes together in a way I've never heard before. The sound of this album is truly one of the most mind-blowing experiences I've ever put my ears through. // 10

Lyrics: With this album the first thing I noticed in the lyrics compared to Mezmerize and other past System records was that it seemed like a whole new direction. It kind of made me feel like they weren't making as much of a political statement as they usually do. Don't get me wrong the statements are still most definitely there. As for Serj and Daron's singing, it all blends in very well. System Of A Down is in a genre of music all alone one of which the likes of knowone can copy. // 9

Overall Impression: It took me awhile to figure out which album was better, this one or Mezmerize. I listened to this album about 10 times or so until it really started to hit me. This album is absolutely a piece of work, and is System's best to date. From begining to end you will not be disapointed. I don't think I've ever listened to a album as much as I have with this one. Truly an epic masterpiece. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 16, 2006

Sound: This is possibly the final effort from the Hard Rock giga-stars System Of A Down. But you would not be able to tell that from some of the quality of the music on this album. Daron's riffs are actually rather blistering and his solos are actually rather unusual, just listen to tracks like Lonley Day and U-Fig for a display of unusual solos. The drumming by John (I can't remember his surname) is a tradtional high point on this record with excellent fills and complicated but good sounding patterns. The Bass is traditionaly disapointing and rather rooty and is actually recorded by Daron, giving Shavo nothing to do what so ever in the actual process of writing these albums. // 10

Lyrics: Well first a Negative, Daron can't sing for toffee. His voice is actually rather toneless and boring and he can't do harmonies with Serj. Now a positive: Serj is a god, his voice is virtually incomparable to any other in the world of rock and roll. His mix of old school english speaking, random phrases and the odd enormous scream is not only bonkers, but an inspiration to singers everywhere. Now for the lyrics and again I must start with a negative, they are not as good as they are on "Toxicity" because they simply don't flow as well. However there is a run in the album of genius, going from the title track through to Holy Mountain that seem to all be brilliant lyrically and vocally. The 2 best sets of lyrics are Soldier Side is more depressing than death itself and Tentative which sounds like it could have come from "Steal this Album" or the Self titled album. The best tracks vocally are Holy Mountain, Tentaive and Attack, basically the songs with mainly Serj singing. // 8

Overall Impression: Attack starts with an almighty riff not dis-similar to the now legendary "Prison Song" then goes into a very political song that descrobes the problems with modern warfare and politics. Dreaming has an excellent vocal harmony throughout the entire song, the one good example of vocal harmonising on this record. Kill Rock 'n' Roll is terrible in everyway except for Serj's random screaming. The Title Track recives the "Run to the Hills Award" for the catchiest, most poppy song on the album. But it is actually has conatined in it some of the best riffs on the album and the best example of Bass Guitaring and Daron's solo voice. Stealing Society is a mad rush of adreneline to the body with silly but very good lyrics and a couple of very good riffs but on the downside it could have been a little heavier. Tentative makes up for that with a monster chorus, some masterful singing by Serj a couple of wondefful riffs and a beautiful but powerful breakdown: The echoed refrain of "Where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall" making this an excellnt peice of music, one of the albums highlights. U-Fig has a rather insane solo part that is virtually blown into by some excellent singing/screaming by Serj backed up by some simple yet agreesive and cool lyrics. Holy Mountain is majestic, epic and really rather depressing. The guitaring is large, the bass playing even though simple, is effective and the drumming is as usual a pivitol part of the song with some excellent fills. Then when we get to Vicinity of Obscenity and things go rather insane. This has some of Serj's true madness on display for the world to view. The Lyrics are stupid but the Reggae bit in the chorus is absolutly genius as well as a rare bit of good bass playing. She's Like Heroin is also rather insane but has a massive huge end bit with truly silly lyrics but an excellent riff. Lonley Day is crap and basically a poor rip off of the excellent "Lost In Hollywood" from the last album. However it leads into the most desolate, depressing and generally dark song that band has had the pleasure of producing for us fans. Soldier Side is all about death, warfare and decit. It has some of the best riffs the band have ever written and another good peice of vocal harmony although I would say Serj is the songs dominat vocalist. To end an album as depressing as this has been attempted but never been quite as depressing as it is in this song. Overall it is a mixed bag of a record. Kill Rock 'n' Roll and Lonley Day are dreadful in most ways and any positives are basically Serj and the drummer. The best songs are Attack, Tentative, Holy Mountain and Soldier Side and they are amoung some of the most dark and depressing songs ever written by the band. If this is it then I would say it is a great way to go finishing on the stylish arpegieos at the end of Soldier Side after the riffs of Attack, the vocals of Holy Mountain, the lyrics of Tentaive and the overall quality of the majority of the albums songs. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Shoemeister, on june 21, 2006

Sound: After hearing Mezmerize (one of the best albums I have ever heard), I couldn't wait for Hypnotize. The hype was that it was going to be SOAD more chilled out, taking a softer approach. These accusations were rapidly thrown from my mind as Attack took over the stereo. After that comes Dreaming, an incredibly multi-tracked song, yet with one word I would call it genius. The middle section Daron takes over the lead vocals, which has been very controversial among SOAD fans. Some hate Daron's voice, some think he is great. I personally think his voice is very different, especially on this album, and when he and Serj join forces with vocals, their voices compliment eachothers perfectly, allowing a variation in sound yet very powerful vocals, and better yet, a new SOAD sound, lots of harmonising. Dreaming is no different, especially when talking about powerful vocals. Kill Rock 'N' Roll is not the greatest track on the album, but a very exhilirating song and a great middle section with great vocals from Serj in the background. Hypnotize is a great track, I would say the guitar lines are similar to that of Radio/Video on their previous album, and John's drumming is very solid, allowing a powerful rhythm section. Stealing society is a brilliant song, with a new style of vocals introduced by Daron, a sort of singing/Rapping style, with Serj providing backing vocals. Again this song contains a lot of harmonising and great singing. Tentative possibly being one of the best tracks on the album, almost bringing two different songs together, creating a great contrast. U-Fig is not the best track system have produced, but worthy of making the album, and the chorus providing a great opportunity to show some classic SOAD fun. I started off by hating Holy Mountains, but now I maintain it is one of the best songs system have done. Quite obviously about the Armenian genocide SOAD often protest about, the song does justice in making it an epic story. Viscinity of obscenity is pure brilliance. Again, SOAD bring out the fun with this song, making wah-funk the focus of this song and pull it off brilliantly. She's like heroine is again a fun song with crazy vocals from Daron, nifty guitar lines and cool drum beats. Lonely day provides an interesting blend of chords in the verse, with serj taking on a larger role with keyboard playing, and again backing vocals. Daron pulls off I think his first fast solo, finally showing off his talents on the guitar, yet is cleverly not used in a 'lets shred because we can' way. Although it must be said, the solo contains many effects like delay and small reverb, it is still pretty fast, and also melodic. The final track Soldier Side is one hell of an phenominal song. Many guitar tracks, incredible singing, booming bass and powerful drum lines make it an epic song. Plainly an anti-war song 'They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go, he's gone so far to find the truth, he's never going home' and also, the tail end of the album here is the beginning of the joint album Mezmerize, and the lyrics and guitar etc. are incredibly linked, so well together I cant explain in words how brilliant I think it is. Overall, the sound is very new SOAD, and reminds me of Steal this album in many ways, which I will talk about later. Darons singing, new guitar lines, new tunings, new drum appraoch all make a newer SOAD and if its even possible, a more incredible SOAD. // 10

Lyrics: SOAD's lyrics have always been to me something else. Many people will say SOADs lyrics aren't that impressive, yet I feel their mix of politics and fun is balanced perfectly to make them a great lyric writing band. The lyrics on this album are focused on politics on songs such as Soldier side, Tentative etc., and they have their fun with Kill Rock 'N' Roll, Viscinity of Obscenity etc. I think most of the lyrics on this album are great, some songs stronger than others, however I feel there are a couple of songs that are disappointing. This is because I feel they have tried to rhyme for the sake of rhyming (he wants nothing less, but to wear a little dress), rather than thoughtful or spiritual lyrics like the soad we know. As we all know, Daron has taken over a more central singing role, which has pleased and angered people. I think his input in this album makes it different to the rest and a new system, however I think Serj is the lead singer, and maybe Daron should take just a smaller role, and do the backing vocals more often whilst serj does the main lyrics. I remain confident in saying that Daron's singing is a choice made by the band, but I think he should just tone it down a little. As I said, he has a great voice, and goes very well with serj's, but maybe just tone it down a little. By the way, Daron Malakian is my idol, I idolise him in many ways, so I think my opinion is a fair one. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs on the album for me are Stealing society, Soldier side, Holy mountains and Dreaming. The variation in these songs contributes to an amazing album and sound. I think in some ways SOAD have made their best album to date, some parts of the album I just think are generally great. I said I think it resembles Steal This Album. This is because Daron sings quite a bit on steal this album, the guitar lines become more tremelo, one string notes, the balance of lyrics is the same, and the general sound, to me, is very similar. Here are how I think the performances on the album are: Serj - obviously a phenominal singer, being able to scream, sing, sing high, sing low, write lyrics and write orchestra, piano and other music makes him totally essential to SOAD, obviously! His preformance on this album is possibly his best yet, with the introduction of more piano, great lyrics and brilliant vocals. Daron - a great guitar performance, possibly too much singing but his voice certainly is essential the the sound of this album. His lyrics possibly lack the power or originality of Serj's but he has done a good job overall, and its good to see the guitar with a bit more variation, and also a new tuning cant hurt, can it (Even though it is the same as Mezmerize, it's still new)? Shavo - unfortunately there is never really anything to majorly compliment the bass, as it is mainly just root not of the chord, and next to never an improvisation or no exploring the neck. However, the bass has a good, strong solid sound and gives SOAD the heavy feeling even though taking a more treble sound with the guitar. John - I stand by saying Jon Dolmayan is one of the best drummers in the world. In this album, his bass pedal and cymbal usage has decreased, moving away from all previous SOAD and allowing a very powerful, strong rhythm sound. Overall, I think SOAD are responsible for creating one of the best albums this decade has seen (along with their other albums). I think the change in sound for System is ideal as their old sound would not last much longer without it all being the same, so their change is definately for the best. I can't say I hate anything about this album, or even slightly dislike, partly because I love it to fucking much! If someone stole this album from me, I would cry very much, then pay as much as I needed to to buy it again. I would shoot or kill the thief, because 1. it is against SOAD's morals, and 2. listening to that album would make that crook a better person. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Bass Reaper, on october 16, 2006

Sound: Since Hypnotize is thier newest album it is naturally the greatest. They have about as many songs on it as the other albums and have a good sound with the lead singer and lead guitarist. I have found that they try and make thier music stand out from all others in order to be more popular. This is great becuase not only do I love the music but I also love thier strange music vids. BYOB is one of those strange music videos that can carry a beat. // 10

Lyrics: Most of thier lyrics are clean and are focused around propaganda. I don't know why they are but I think it might just be a good topic that never gets old. The singer is very versatile and this is good because his vioce makes him sond furious and in pain so it goes in sync with the theme perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: System Of A Down was the first band I learned to play on the six string. Some of thier songsare easy like roullette and hypnotize, but others are a little harder and require more skill like BYOB and Radio/Video. They are a great band in my opinion because they can be understood in the song and aren't just screaming words. This matters because all of thier albums have been better than the last and eventually they will be the biggest band known to the guitar world. If you don't have this album, get it, it's deffinetly worth haveing. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: livinginmisery, on february 08, 2007

Sound: This sound is definitely unique. I like the bass lines in the music. I'm a new bassist, and the songs are really easy. The only critique I can think of is that sometimes the lines are hard to follow. For example, I wasn't able to pick out the bass line for Vicinity of Obscenity, even with my subwoofer all the way up. Other than that, love the sound. Keep it up. You get a 9 from me. // 9

Lyrics: You guys have so many pointless lyrics. Once again, take Vicinity of Obscenity. "Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie" must've taken, what, 15 seconds to come up with? 20 maybe? There needs to be a little more creativity. Like with Toxicity on their past album. At least that song had a message. Not all the lyrics are bad though. Soldier Side is one of the best songs in the world, and has great lyrics. You guys should've promoted that song (even though I realize why you didn't). And as far as the singing goes, excellent. Especially on Hypnotize, love the trading voices and the spooky harmonies. // 7

Overall Impression: I really can't say I've heard music like this from other artists. Of course, I usually listen to other bands. The best song on this album is Soldier Side, with Lonely Day coming in a close second. The worst song, if there can be a worst song, would have to be Kill Rock & Roll. You can't kill rock & roll. Sorry. If my cds were stolen, I'd probably get Dookie, American Idiot, and Mesmerize before rebuying this one, but I'd probably still buy it. // 8

Hypnotize Reviewed by: jfsj123, on may 07, 2007

Sound: System of a down are the most creative band in this generation. Overall they are an alternative metal band. This album consists of hard rock, rock, metal, alt metal, progressive rock and heavy metal. Daron Malakian (guitarist) has included groundbreaking riffs and doing a lot of the vocals alongside Serj (singer). This album was going to be a double album with mezmerize but at the last minute it was going to be 2 separate records. This album is the reply to Mezmerize. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly about politics and genecide. The lyrics really fit in the songs because the rythem of the guitars and drums are topped with two voices which sound awesome. Serg and Daron are greatsingers and both of them to be in one band is something special. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is unique compared to normal metal at the moment, a lot of works gone in this album. My favourite tracks are "Hypnotize", "Tentative", "Vicinity of Obcenity" and "Lonely Day". All the rest are still really good but these stand-out for me. I love the melodys on all the songs because because they make you want to destroy your house!. "Holy Mountains is the thing I least like because it just goes on a bit. This would be bought again if it was stolen because this record is great. // 10

Hypnotize Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2007

Sound: One of my friends actually bought this CD. we used to listen to it all the time. the sound is great, at first. after I heard some real SOAD stuff, this ablum sounded like crap. this album is all in dropped C# instead of the usual dropped C. this is an OK album but it lacks the original SOAD feel. Some songs, like Attack, sound more like SOAD but overall this album lacks the heavy sound that put SOAD on the map. // 5

Lyrics: Daran's lyrics in this album are just plain stupid most of the time. "Eat all the grass that you want, accidents happen in the dark." what the hell is that? Serj does a great job singing, when he does. Daran pretty much took over this album and killed it. He has a horrible voice and he shows it off. SOAD has always been known for their meaningful lyrics. that ends in this album. // 4

Overall Impression: This album sounds almost nothing like the first 3 that System came out with. Attack sounds almost like the old SOAD but not quite. Dreaming sounds fresh and new, which makes up for the drastic changes to their sound. Kill Rock and Roll just plain sounds like crap. the lyrics are pointless and Daran's voice hurts my ears. Hypnotize is a very simple song with 2 or 3 parts to it. Again, uninspired lyrics and crappy tone. Stealing Society changes sound halfway through but still sounds horrible. Tentative is probably my favorite song on this album. It has about the same sound as Sad Statue off of Mezmerize. U-Fig is another stupid song. Holy Mountains is just like Aerials off Toxicity. Vicinity of Obscenity is stupid but sounds okay. She's Like Heroin is the worst, stupidest song on this album. Lonely Day is okay, but it has dumb lyrics. Soldier Side strays from SOAD tones but it is a great song. Overall, this album did not impress me. // 4

Hypnotize Reviewed by: SnowMan1, on july 18, 2007

Sound: I'm sure somewhere there were people who hated System when they were at there peak during Toxicity and thought they should be lighter. That sorta happend but not entiarly. They changed there tuning, big deal. Have they sold out? Of course not. It doesnt't sound better but it not worse. it's not as heavy as the first 3 albums but they don't have to be heavy to be awesome. Listen to Stealing Society, or Tentative, their amazing. Although She's Like Herione is a complete dud. And Daron isnt a bad singer. He's powerful and has really good screams. // 9

Lyrics: The style of music has changed a bit but the lyrics have pretty much stayed the same. there's your political songs but they are on every album. Then there's life stuff like you'll find on Dreaming and Lonely Day. Holy Mountians talks about the Armenian Genocide like P.L.U.C.K. did and it's insane. Vicinity of Obscenity is about how men will look at women sexually or something. // 8

Overall Impression: Bottom line it's not as consistanly heavy as it's first first 3 albums but there are still heavy hitters like U-FIG and Holy Mountians. For those of you who think the albums are better, your right. But it is still amazing. Every thing from System remains fresh and awesome. But it is sadley the last for a while because of there hiatus. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: wydawg, on march 10, 2008

Sound: Well here we have a amazing CD with great sound. System Of A Down has a very hard crunchy type of sound and they do this for the first two songs Attack and Dreaming. But they also do some soft haunting melodies like Soldier Side and Lonely Day. So I think there sound has evolved from their first CD, and it just gets better and better with time. // 10

Lyrics: Well System has always had meaningful lyrics and most of the songs on this CD are about war and suffering. But also since the band has been together so long now they also tell stories about bad acid trips and herion addiction. Most of the songs have great lyrics and Serj is still an amazing singer so it still stands out as an great CD. The only problem I had was that they mad some funny songs which is fine with me, but they didn't try as hard as with these songs. Other than that it has great lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: 01. Attack - best song to open up the album but also the most political on the whole CD. I love it but not everyone will love it. 02. Dreaming - still going in with a heavy style. The lyrics are great and has a good message but it is a little gross if your not into that sort of thing. 03. Kill Rock And Roll - first funny song on the album. I thought it was funny the first time I heard it but now it is kind of annoying for me. They did make a good beat for it though. 04. Hypnotize - one of my favorite songs on the album. Although it does not have a lot of lyrics, it gets it's message across and will stay in your head for a long time. 05. Stealing Society - it starts heavy, ends heavy. It is, in my opinion, one of the best vocals by Serj ever so it gets my thumbs up. 06. Tentative - a good song, but you need to read the lyrics if you want to understand the first part of the song but has a good message and catchy beat. 07. U-Fig - I thought it was just a screaming song but after you listen to it a few times you can understand it. But it is very unpredictable and a little bit annoying. 08. Holy Mountains - great song which is very loud but also chilling to the bone. 09. Vicinity Of Obsenity - the next two songs are extremely funny. I love this one because Serj thought up most of it. It also has a very good guitar part that makes it stand out in the album. 10. She's Like Heroin - this song isn't as good as Vicinity but it still rocks out but again not that good lyrics. 11. Lonely Day - great song that chills but could use better lyrics. 12. Soldier Side - easily the best song on the album. As the continuation of the first part on mezmerize it tells of the costs of war with good hard music. I loved this album as I love all of System Of A Down albums and it really connects with their audience but also has a fun time doing it. // 9

Hypnotize Reviewed by: Edwardjwebber, on march 19, 2008

Sound: The band seem to have gone with a slightly different sound than their last record, Mezmerize, as they have with every album. The songs tend to be less heavy as songs off System of a down, Toxicity and Steal this album!, but are just as 'in your face'. As with Mezmerize, the key change in style is Daron's vocals. Rather than just acking vocals as with earlier albums, Daron now does half, maybe more, of the vocals. Daron's switch from Iceman to SG is noticable, along with the tuning being raised a semitone. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, though many people disagree, are just as good, if not better, than any other album. Along with vocals, Daron has taken up a lot of writing, and it shows in such songs as 'Kill Rock And Roll', which is about when he ran over a rabbit that he named rock and roll, and 'She's Like Heroin'. Although many people will also disagree, Daron is just as competent a singer as Serj, and he deserves his spot as co-vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: In my personal opinion, this is one of System's best. The vocals, drums, bass and guitar go together perfectly and the lyrics are amazing. All songs are great, particularly Stealing society which starts with the usual chaotic sound that is System, but then moves into a punkish section led by Daron, with a vocal style somewhat reminiscent of rap. The title track, though a great song, I believe is not up to System's usual high standard. If someone stole this album, Despite it being on my computer, I'd buy a new one, rather than burn it as I like it enough to want the proper disc. // 10

More System Of A Down reviews rating latest review