System Of A Down Review

system of a down: System Of A Down
Released: Jun 30, 1998
Genre: Rock
Style: Alternative Metal
Number Of Tracks: 13 System of a Down certainly compares to the band's other albums, some might even say it's the best they ever released!
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
System Of A Down Reviewed by: duncang, on october 31, 2005

Sound: Fast, heavy and crazy. The three words to describe System Of A Down. Serj is a very good, if slightly (although hilariously) mad. The guitar sound is how metal is meant to be, the bass is cool, and the playing the drums to some of those songs must be damn hard, with all those tempo changes. Oh, and if there were 4 words to describe them, the last would be brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: I love System's lyrics, mainly because I am a big fan of political lyrics, but still, they are great. There are also loads and loads of hilarious little bits and pieces stuck in there, some of which are indeed incomprehensible. One thing which makes the singing so great is that I don't think Daron sings once! // 10

Overall Impression: 01. suite Pee - very weird guitar intro, which heads off in a completely different direction with a riff so amazing good because it is so simple. A weird slow breakdown (which happens a lot in this album), with weird noises flying around. Brilliant song though 10/10. 02. Know - impressive drum beat through most of the song, with some more crazy vocals from Serj. I like the lyric towards the end "Don't ever try to fly, lest it leaves your body on the other side". Class 9/10. 03. Sugar - my favourite song on here possibly, with a riff I knew before I had even heard of System Of A Down, hilarious little "Sugarrr!" thing in the verse, crazy singing with low vocals shooting up to falsettos in random places. Breakdown which goes from singing, to shouting, to whispering, to talking to shouting again. Crazy 10/10. 04. Suggestions - haunting guitar intro, going to more fast antics, with random screaming (which sounds like a parrot, lol) at the end of each verse. The 3rd verse has a falsetto, which is absolutely hilarious (although it defitely is not the way to do a falsetto, ask Jack White). Lunacy. 05. I heard this song on the radio as a little kid, and it gave me nightmares (Yeah, I'm not exactly old, I was a little kid in 1999)! Very creepy beginning, but it shows that System can be serious guys too. A lot like Aerials, but I saw a review which criticized it for that! How does that work? Aerials was written after this! But when I got this album, and heard the song again, I was just like 0_0! But I have now grown to love it, brilliant 10/10. 06. Ddevil - I see they've gone back the the asylum-rock then a scream, then a snort more random octave jumps, funny lyric too "The devil is so lovely" 8/10. 07. Soil - air-drumming oppurtunity, and a chorus so fast you can only just make out a couple of words, "motherf--king" being one of them. This is named after their old band, and hopefully it sounds like them, cause if it does, then I want to check them out. Cool guitar solo too. Funniest moment in the album too, when it all goes silent, and Serj shouts "Why the f--k did you take him away from us you motherf--ker!" 10/10. 08. War? - catchy verse which reminds me of Chop Suey a bit Serj shots "We will find the heathens!" in the chorus, and I'm not sure what thats meant to suggest, but it sounds really good 9/10. 09. Mind - I think this is one of their first songs, with a spooky bass bringing in a weird whispering verse, which you expect to explode, and just as you think it might not, it does. Although not incredibly loud, it is indeed insane, with a goat-on-ecstacy kind of sound bouncing around. The only song longer than about 3 and a half minutes, and its got a bit of a masterpiece feel to it, but it does get a bit boring 8/10. 10. Peephole - weird! Sounds like it should have an accordion in it, but a guitar sound kind of cool actually. Funny lyric too "Don't ever get stuck in the sky, when you're high..." Nice solo. Very weird song, I wonder how they ever wrote that. 11. Cubert - I have no idea why, but the word Cubert makes me laugh. Sounds very System-ish, and the song is the same inspired lunacy that has been going through this whole album, other than Spiders 10/10. 12. Darts - flows straight from Cubert, good god, Serj is on drugs, isn't he? Thought so. The song sounds kind of similar to quite a lot of the others on here, and its probably the worst on the album 7/10. 13. PLUCK - I love the part where the bass comes in at the beginning, and Serj sounds scary! It's one of those go-stop-go songs, the guitar riff sounds cool too, one of the not-so-heavy rarieties from Daron. And talking of him, there he is doing backing vocals. Damn! Oh well, its only the last track, although the last tracks of Toxicity and Mezmerize are pretty damn good. Not a fantastic song, kind of like the slow bit in Chop Suey. I like the way it just fades out too 8/10. This album is totally diffrent from anything before it, insane all around, riffs, vocals, goat noises. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: shoebox_of_lies, on september 23, 2005

Sound: To say the least, its a nice clear sound, even with very heavy distortion. Surprisingly the last one I bought of their four albums (soon to be five). Lots of the songs have the same style to it, just low heavy bar chords with different rhythms, but most of the time they pull if off. // 9

Lyrics: Well, as much as I love singing along with the tracks, and the rymes are fine, most of the lyrics don't really make sense. But, other than that, they go great with the music. Surj (did I spell that right?) has a great voice, and Daaron and Jon sound great as backup. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to their other albums, I have to admit I like the others better, but this is still a great rock album. Basically the first half of the album is the best: the crazy intro for "Suite-Pee," the great rythm for "Sugar." A couple of other good ones include "Suggestions," "Spiders," and "Devil." I do love to see a band that I was introduced to as fairly old in the music industry in their first album, but I didn't like how some of the songs near the end sounded too alike. But, between it being a good album and me being a system fan, I'd get it if I'd lose it. Came to about 15 dollars canadian. // 8

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Ingsoc, on september 25, 2006

Sound: I'm going to review each song as no one has really taken the time to give individual credit to every piece and I think it's a shame really. 01. Suite-Pee - opening with a peculiar almost childlike series of distortions, you know that this album; this band, is something completely different. The riffs are actually quite simple but the patterns are unheard of. It's fast jumps in pitch and tone sort of mirror the meaning of the song in questioning religious beliefs. Although it is a great song, I would say it's actually my least favorite on the album because the vocals sound a bit strained. 02. Know - even more so than Suite-Pee, Know is very simple in it's riffs. In fact, I think about half the song runs on the same 3 power chords in different forms. It's what you call a cooperative effort. The vocals, the drums, the bass, and the guitar, none of the above being greater than the other, work together to make simple chords sound amazing. It's all synced together so well, this is one of my favorite songs on the CD. 03. Sugar - well, what hasn't been said about Sugar already. It was one of the first singles put out by System, if not the first. The sound here sort of portrays a story. All of the instrumental is liked to the vocals as Serj expresses the thoughts of a bittersweet modern life. I think this one got very popular because the lyrics are relatable and the variations in emotion are so great that it is an intensely enveloping song. No one skips Sugar when it comes up on mix. 04. Suggestions - severely underrated. But then again that characterizes most of the songs on this album. Many SOAD fans pass over this song but I think they're missing out. It opens with an acoustic fast paced stacatto beat reaching high on the frett board (believe me in it's a pain in the ass to play). It then transfers very quickly to an almost bass saturated riff, and then to a crazy alternating pattern reminiscent of polka. The hectic parts mirror the panic in Serj's voice when the song comes to a tense part lyrically. Give it a shot, really. 05. Spiders - the gem of the album; the centerpiece as I see it. It is easy to confuse this song with Aerials at times because the pattern is almost exactly the same. Opening with a clean bass filled intro that sounds like nothing you've ever heard before, (Aerials anyone) it almost lulls you into a passive state. Well, then you wake up with a series of heavy riffs (Aerials) and a series of power chords to follow that make up the part of the song everyone remembers. This repeats several times till you get to the very heavy part. The difference here being Serj doesn't unleash a vocal hurricane in Spiders like he does in Aerials. So, enjoy the simplistic yet astounding solo near the end of the song. I think this song appeals so much because it is the basic elements of System; it's the formula for sucess. 06. Ddevil - a rapid burst of sounds and frantic lyrics seemingly about nothing. Well if you know squat about System, it's never about nothing. This is a few poems pertaining to some modern evils Serj has observed in his life and I think some of it is taken directly out of his book "Cool Gardens". Funny how he can make poetry mesmerizing and fervant huh? Though this is short, it's certainly a deviation after the lulling sounds of Spiders. 07. Soil - a masterpiece really in every aspect. Seperate each element of this song and all of them are remarkable. If you can understand what the meaning of the song is it is even more appealing. The song is saturated with passion, heavy everything. Donning the name of SOAD's ex-band, Soil is most likely about a friend who has taken his own life. Opening with a peculiarly light riff, it quickly changes back into typical fervant low tone SOAD riffs. Something about this song sounds strange though, as if the riff fakes you out, playing something else than what you thought you would hear. Maybe that's just me though. After several choruses in this song, you get to an extremely fast solo leading up to the erruption of Serj's query, and in my opinion the single most angry line of lyrics I have ever seen and heard in my life, "Why did you take him away from us you Motherf--ker?", he asks of God. This song makes no apologies, and I don't see why it should. 08. War? - the sound of this song seems to reflect the image of the self righteous soldier. This is the seed that gives life to later songs such as Sad Statue and Attack. It is not only political but critical of religion and society, all playing their hand in unecessary bloodshed. It is audible in the song too, as priests begin chanting in Latin in the interlude of the song backed by faint muted picking. It is almost entirely power chords, so if that's your thing, you'll love it. I think it; s okay but it is lacking in any kind of solo demonstration and variation of chords. 09. Mind - my favorite song on the album actually. I learned how to play this by ear when I first bought the CD, and it's a lot of fun to play, but that's beside the point. You might have to turn your volume up as the song starts, because it is very quiet and calm. Serj lures you in with soothing words and promises, and a light melody and distinct bass. So just relax because it gets very heavy in a moment. This is very obvious mirrorism of the meaning of the song, which is about how the Armenians lived amongst the Turks for generations peacefully until totalitatianism and religious intolerance swept across the country and at the snap of a finger, the people were split asunder and sent to die in the desert. The sound following the intro sounds like desperation, and the few alternate picking portions seem to resemble human cries almost. It's very gritty to sum it up. It gives a view into the fickle and evil 'mind' of a human being turned on their brothers and sisters. 10. Peephole - bizarre. Alright, once again the introduction is very quiet here. If your volume isn't high enough you might miss it entirely. It is an organ being played, and brief clips of the actual song itself about to unfold... hence the name, Peephole. You can visualize yourself staring through a small hole in the wall seeing just glimpses of the band playing perhaps. That's just one interpretation. The sound following the intro is another mock-polka eletric beast, making a single guitar capable of sounding like an accordian and/or organ. Bizarre lyrics, spooky guitar riffs; not for the close minded. Music has no boundaries though, so here is Peehole. 11. Cubert - the intro is sort of bizarre. The paradigm of intense transferances, it goes from a repetition of very high pleading notes to very deep intense notes. It is reminiscent of a conversation between a pacficist and a warmongerer. Lyrically, I think the song is kind of lazy, it talks of a world where humans are just cogs in a machine, 'food' for corporate zoos. And it has about 3 different verses total, mostly repetitions. I don't dislike the song but it's the weak side of the album. 12. Darts - wailing, desperation, personal insanity, archaic imagery. Don't listen to Darts by yourself. This song is about dead lifestyles, forgotten beliefs, the past buried and forgotten, seen as insignificant in today's world. So yeah it's kind of gloomy. Throughout most the song you can hear a clock ticking, reflecting the iminent doom of all things, and how our own culture as it is now could be buried under the Earth and forgotten. Alternating between quiet and intense, backed by a huge range in vocals, this is another one of the 'crazy' songs SOAD is so infamous for. 13. P.L.U.C.K. - ending the album we have Pluck, the thesis of the Armenian genocide specifically. Very traditional metal riffs in this song are given the special touch by System in the various interludes and outro/intro. As always, the vocals range from intense mind shattering pitch to calm and melodic, as does the guitar. John Dolmayan does a very good job of keeping rhythem here (not that he doesn't always). Not anything spectacular for a finale like Aerials was for Toxicity and Soldier Side was foir Hypnotize, but it is standalone a good song. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the songs are written by the vocalist Serj Tankian, whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration for. Sure it is fashionable to be metaphorical and secretive in the meanings of your songs. However, Serj makes every word sharp as a razor or smooth as silk, giving incedible strength to every sigle line of lyrics. The radio hits SOAD has are so lyrically deviated from the typical music on the radio that even if it were Serj singing by himself without any instrumental, people would still be following him in repetition driving on their way to work or school. Every word packs five words, every line packs an entire story and ideal. Every song is an epic, a battle in the modern world. The lyrics they come up with are sometimes bizarre and maybe even perverse, but it is reflective of modern humanity. This album is polar to what most bands do coming out of the gate. It is strong and abrasive, it makes no apologies, it comes at you with it's head lowered and will knock you over if you are not prepared. It packs all the crazy singles the other albums have, and the slower more memorable songs for the less insane among us. // 10

Overall Impression: To put it simply, it is their first and best album for all the reasons I have already stated. Oh, and Daron doesn't sing but maybe once. As much as he is a master of the guitar, I'd prefer if he let Serj hold the mic himself. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: tulsa29, on august 27, 2007

Sound: This System of A Down album has everything old SOAD fans could want. The sound was typical to darren's(the gutarist) guitar skills, giving the listeners attack like riffs and serji's (lead vocalist) crazy ass singing. In this album they used a few diferent styles like, a jewish type of music for example peephole and cubert yet keeping the system we all love with the ever classic sugar. This album, in my opinion, seemed to be the heaviest album of the five. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics we're simple insane stick it to the man sort of lyrics and at the same time they we're as random as a chocolate ironing board but not as pointless. The lyrics came together with the music like cheese on pizza. Serji's ways of singing are different in most of the songs, one minute he'll be whispering the next he'll be screaming his ass off, and darren screamed in a few song's but not enough to get us to want to rip our ears off, if you know what I mean. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has been forgotten about to the ordinary system of a down fan because it's in the shadow of Toxicity but this album had more random lyrics and random music yet Toxicity has the more common songs, like aerials and chop suey. The most significent and impressive song would be sugar, know and Ddevil because sugar is an all time classic, know has a way of making you want to jump around and Ddevil, in my opinion, has the best lyrics on the album. I love every song on this album besides one, spiders. If I lost this album I would be devastated and would go and buy it immediatly even though I have it saved to my compter. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 04, 2003

Overall Impression: A great album by any standards, but considering it is the bands first, it makes it all the better. The first track, Suite-pee lets you know what your in for, a heavy, pounding, incredible musical experience that will take your breath away. Personally I think this is better than their massive selling 2001 album "Toxicity". The only reason I didn't give this a 5 rating is because the tracks are a little samey. If you don't really give a damn about that then this is one of the best heavy albums made in the last few years. Go buy it! // 8

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Ratiug318, on november 28, 2003

Sound: This is System's best album so far. The Armenian trio has made some of the coolest sounding metal riffs in the past five years. // 8

Lyrics: There are dozens of metaphors and symbolisms in Malakian's lyrics, and Serj's voice is very versatile. He can go from a calm singing to a strange moaning to a manic yelling. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good album, and I recommend it to anyone who likes metal. System of a Down is one of the few bands in metal today who aren't considered nu-metal losers. // 8

System Of A Down Reviewed by: ICEMAN400, on january 16, 2004

Sound: I don't understand between this toxcity and Steel this album, both the newer albums are considered metal and alternative but this is only alternative, In my opinion not only is this the best album it's the most metal album. The only Guitar solo I've heard Daron Play was on Peephole it was awsome, Mind was awsome, war was awesome I just can't stop listening to this album I've had it for almost a year now and it's my favorite among the 3 System Of A Down albums, If your going to get one it Should Be This. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were a little weird in some of the songs but in other's they made alot of sense so the lyrics are really good as well as the mood they put you in for the album. // 10

Overall Impression: It's The Best System Album Ever, there best album sound wize where they really exploded with metal and heavy riffs I mean you can listen to this album over and over and over and never get tired of the songs and there is a diversity in the songs that allows them to maintan there own unique mood this album is a metal masterpiece. Buy It. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2004

Sound: Allright, this CD is for calm rockers and the neck-breaking headbangers. Their guitars, whether in solos or in the choruses, are something you'll get spirit from. John's drumming will make your heart beat so hard your chest will be sore by the time your done listening to it. They have the best match for the guitar, bass, and drums. Daron, Shavo, John... props to you all. // 10

Lyrics: Serj Tankian... my musical idol. Oh, how I long to just sit and talk. The lyrics are so powerful and extraordinary you'll smile and wanna shout along. His voice and style of singing fit so perfectly into the music. You can call him a Genius. Malakian's lyrics are breathtaking, but you know what? Free thinkers are dangerous. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best of all three, though Toxicity and Steal This Album trail only a little behind. SOAD's songs such as: DDevil, Sugar, CUBErt, and Darts will make you laugh. My favorite on this album is either War? or Darts. Buy it, if you don't like it e-mail me and tell me why (God4Life92@netscape.net). The only thing I don't like about this CD is Suite-Pee. I give that song a 3 of 5. I'm not into the anti-Christ crap out there. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: marmelade ed, on june 01, 2004

Sound: Schizophrenic. That is the first word that pop's into my head when thinking about this album. From the opening rants of Suite Pea to the tranquile stoner esque affair that is Peephole it really is a rollercoaster of an album. Having listened to this album so many times, it is the less well known songs that stand out to me and my friend john, songs such as darts and cubert not to mention the angriness of P.L.U.C.K as apposed to the more "Radio Friendly" songs such as sugar and spiders which really does show the strength of this album. // 10

Lyrics: What can I say about the lyrics. Serj Tankien is a modern day shakespeare, only that serj covers a far wider array of topics than mr william ever could. He takes you on an epic journey which includes various stops at comedy,anger,sarcasm and out and out passion. He is the perfect lyricist more importantly the guy ROCKS! // 10

Overall Impression: All I can really say is if you do not already own this album as you are reading this review then ask yourself why you aren't running out to the nearest shop to buy it. System Of A Down rules all. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on july 26, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is incredible. The drumming in particular is amazing, the best example of good drumming being in 'Soil' and 'Sugar'. The guitar is also brilliant. There are a few solos, however the best being in 'Peephole' and 'Soil'. The sound is not very different to SoaD's other two albums. It is, however, a bit heavier. // 10

Lyrics: I have always valued soaD's lyrics as the best around today. This album is no exception. Sometimes concerning religion (Darts, Suite Pee) sometimes concerning media and the modern world (Devil, Cubert Spiders, Sugar) and ssome concerning war (the obviously titled, War, Soil, Pluck and Suggestions.) No matter what System are singing about, they no how to put the message across. The lyrics also fit well not only with the music, but also with the voice of singer Serj. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my favourite alums EVER, and I'm not exagerating. If you want something exciting, interesting, inspirational or you just wanna rock, this is a great album to have. The standout tracks have to be the powerful meatal anthem, Sugar, the chilling but brilliant Spiders and the trance-like Peephole, as well as forget it. All the songs are awesome. If you haven't got it, you must buy it. I got it for 5, (approx. $8) in my local music shop, and it was the best bargain I've ever picked up. If it were stolen or lost, I would have to track down whoever stole it and kill them, and then buy a new copy. It brings me close to tears just thinking about life without this album. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Raistlin27, on february 27, 2005

Sound: Sound is where this album shines more then anything else. I got this disc some many years ago and thought wow this is good, then just moved on. Then last semester I took a music theory class and relistened to it, and all I can say is that you could teach the whole class on this CD. The experimentation like, key changes, time changes, awkward chord progressions that sound like they wont fit but do so perfectly. Your ear thinks its going one way, but they take you a totally different way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not Sytem of a Down's strong side, well with me anyways. I never really got into political music, espesially seeing as I'm a republican. Though this album is alot less about that then Sytem's other works, this album tends to be more about drug use and self discovery, with some political views sprinkled in it. Serj Tankian's vioce is amazing, his singing skills are raw and seem untrained, but it complements the work of the music so well that its impossible to imagine any other voice on the tracks. He's not afraid to challenge is capabilities. // 8

Overall Impression: System of a Down is such a great peice of music and his one that I'll continue listening to for many many years, so I think it's easy to say that if I lost it I'd buy it again, or maybe steal it! This album is certainly Systems best work, it doesn't have songs that were taylered for the radio, it had songs that were writting to show that good music is still writtable and that you don't need only technicall skill to do it. Many people are all about the technicall stuff that they lose the importance of music theory and experimentation. This ablum as that and any person who appreciates that would love it. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: pas trop rosbif, on june 06, 2005

Sound: Wow. It's nearly impossible to describe SOAD's sound. They combine nu-metal, old metal, polka, pop, punk, funk, goth, and nearly every other genre you've ever heard. 01. Suite-pee - the first ten seconds are really misleading-it quickly evolves into a full-fleged, super fast (and anti-Christian) nu metal anthem (11/10). 02. Know - the opening really shows the drummer's skill, and, like any System song, has deep political lyrics, a hard and heavy chorus, and fast verses with a good beat, and the usual (8/10). 03. Sugar - starts off with an energetic chorus. Most of the song is Serj talk-singing with some really hilarious lyrics ("I got a gun the other day from Sako it's cute, small, and fits right in my pocket") (8.5/10). 04. Suggestions - starts off pretty quietly and almost acoustic, then ends each verse with a random high-pitched scream. The third verse, sung entirely in falsetto, is hilarious (8/10). 05. Spiders - slow, boring, one or two notes away from Aerials; however, it still manages to be very haunting (6/10). 06. Devil - extremely short, extremely uncalled for, extremely fast, extremely System. Enough said (10/10). 07. Soil - System's most explicit song ever, with slower verses but a chorus so fast that you can't understand a word of it (8/10). 08. War? - pretty fast and incomprehesible, with a religious war theme and a wonderful speech in the middle. Yup, it's System (9/10). 09. Mind - what is this doing here? The rest of the album is fast, nu metal, and random, and this song comes out of nowhere with a whispered intro and a lot of funk influences. 6 minutes of slow junk (4/10). 10. Peephole - System's glory is restored after that last track with the creepy intro and overall strange song. It's thrash and polka together. How can you not love it? (10/10). 11. Cubert - Ah, another short one. 1 and one half minutes of singing about corn, pyramids, fallen rubies, and creepy siren-laughter (10/10). 12. Darts - "May I please?" Serj croaks/screams after an energizing bass intro. This song talks about his desires and how darts screech. The best part is the chorus when he sings and screeches about Hindu gods. Of course (7.5/10). 13. PLUCK - very punky, yet somehow very System. All about that wonderful Armenian genocide System seem so very happy about. Slow but good chorus (9/10). // 10

Lyrics: To start, SOAD lyrics are unlike anything else in the world. The range from such deep, meaningful topics as canned popcorn to fatherless boys creating phoenixes. Wonderful. On the other hand, the singing is really good. Serj can sing in a great regular voices, falsetto, a sub-human growl, and a peircing screech. // 8

Overall Impression: This is SOAD's second best CD, next to Mezmerize. This is their nu-metalest CD, but it is also their only CD with guitar solos. Go figure. If it were losted I'd just burn it again (I have all the tracks on my comp). SOAD is great because they have the attention span of a goldfish and if you, like me, do too you'll. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Sound: This band is amazing. Plain and simple. One of the greatest bands out today and of all time. And this album is the apitamy of their greatest to my ears. Every song on this album is like a hit to the head. One thing I love about this album is that you cant compare it to anything! It's just so out there that you cant say "oh yeah that kinda sounds like that band." It's all just crazy all out metal/punk/funk/every other genre madness! My two favorite tracks are probably PLUCK and Soil. But it's so hard to choose because I could listen to any song on this album for days on end. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are crazy! Even though a lot of them are deeply disguised. Half of the lyrics seem to be political, anti religious, and all that other stuff Serj loves writing aboot. But on this album it seems like the lyrics are just so well thought out and so put together. Even though half of them don't make sense, the lyrics on this album are amazing as well. Another thing I love about the lyrics are that theyre easy to pick up. They're easy to get into and sing/scream along to. Serj's voice is one of the most individual voices in the music world today. He can hit every note perfectly as well as doing unworldly screams, growls, howls, and screaching. He whispers in some songs on this album and it is some of the most haunting things I've ever heard. Also, Daron doesnt sing that much in this one, which is kind of a plus to me cause I think he just fucks it all up. If youre a big fan of really deep, expressive and clear lyrics youll probably disagree with everything I just said though. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks the flying s--t out of all thier other albums. It's just everywhere! The songs on here arnt really "radio friendly" which is a big plus on my side. 'Cause it seems like some of their new stuff is made to be sell. Which isn't that bad, because they are still an amazing band no matter what. I'm not really that big a fan of their new album, so I dont think I could compare it fairly to that album. Nor could I compare it to toxicity or steal this album! Because they all sound really different. Like I said before, PLUCK and Soil are my favorites. But every other song on this CD is almost just as good. I did lose this CD once. Well, I knew where it was but I couldn't get it back. I kinda forgot about it for a year, but I heard war playing on my friends computer a couple months ago and imidiatly ran out and got it again. If I could I'd buy this CD for everyone in the world because everyone should at least listen hear this masterpiece once in their lifetime. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: .Aneurysm, on december 10, 2005

Sound: Personally, I think this is SOAD's best album. Serj Tankian is one of the most powerful, as well as utterly insane singers I've ever heard. Backing up this spectacular vocals is some very heavy guitar courtesy of Daron Malakian (does his voice on the more recent albums bother anyone else). One of the prevalent polititcal themes on this album has to do with the genocide of the Armenian people (I believe it ocurred in the early 1900's). They themselves being Armenian, their big beef about this is that it was never actually recognized as a genocide by, I think the UN, or someone like that. The most obvious reference to this is on the last track PLUCK, which stands for "Politically Lying Unholy Cowardly Killers." There are also some anti-christian songs, like "Suite-Pee," and "Ddevil." Ddevil is kind of different, because Ddevil was the name of their record label. I don't know if you're into that kind of stuff, but I certainly am, and it was a big plus for me. // 9

Lyrics: This album has some of the strangest lyrics I've ever heard. And I mean that in a 100% positive way, for me, the more abstract, the better. Unlike on the more recent albums, it seems that Serj Tankian is doing his fair share of the writing. I think Daron is an OK writer, but he can't touch Serj's intricate, artful style that is right on the forefront in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is so different (and so much better, in my opinion) from any of their other albums. Well, "Steal This Album!" was very good in places (Mr. Jack, ADD, among others), but this one just has an integrity to it that's very hard to find. I just really think they should've stuck to this kind of a sound, and it's a shame how radio-friendly and mainstream most of their other stuff is. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: euan_soad, on december 10, 2005

Sound: This is SOAD's heaviest album and probably the least accesible to the new rock fan but to a hardcore fan it is excellent. Having said that I recommend everyone gives it a try. The production on the sound is great. Some debuts sound crap as if they were recorded in a tin can but not this one. It still sounds excellent by todays standards and remains one of my favourite albums. // 10

Lyrics: Serj has one of the most versatile voices I have ever heard. If you are fortunate enough to have seen them live you should have noticed at times Serj holds the microphone to his throat and sings that way. The vocals in Spiders are done this way. The lyrics are great in every song. But as usual with SOAD the is their bizarre lyrics thrown in like "The kombucha mushroom people sitting around all day". The lyrics definetly suit the music. // 10

Overall Impression: IMO the best songs are Suite-Pee, Sugar and Spiders. I love this album because it stands out so much from everything else from that time. If it were stolen I'd find the guy who took it and I'll kick his head in personally, rip his cock off and shove it so far up his ass it will come out his nose and he will come in his own mouth. If I lost it I'd go out and buy 5 copies to make sure it didn't happen again. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: SOADRox, on january 30, 2006

Sound: System of a Down's sound is undeniable. A punk/metal mix with a political message that other bands have tried to match, but have never succeeded. SOAD puts power behind every word and note, there has never, and never will be, a band that can match SOAD. Each and every track has its own sound and own message, yet they mold together like peanut butter and jelly. Many of their tracks have an almost nu metal polka beat to them. This is SOAD's own personality. As silly as "polka" and "nu-metal" sound in the same sentence, SOAD pulls it off without a hitch. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Suite-Pee - is a good start to a good CD. With a transfixing vocal line and unebelievable well written lyrics, Suite-Pee is a good omen of what is to come. 02. Know - SOAD is amazed by Armenian folk-lore. This song reflects that. "See the land the women chant as they fly up to the sun." This song is the first of all the songs that carries an obvious message. "You ever think you know why. Know, you never think you know why." 03. Sugar - by far one of my favorite songs by SOAD. Excellent lyrics with excellent vocals, just like all the other SOAD songs, but this one is different. "Breath taking" would be how to describe it. There isn't an obvious political message behind this song, but it still fits System of a Down. 04. Suggestions - fun as hell! Carrying the first polka-esque sound along with a political message makes this song a fun one to listen to, sing along with, and play on guitar. 05. Spider - the first soft song on the CD. Excellently put together, excellently executed. Undeniable that this is a good song. Serj's voice is complimented by the bass and during the chorus the guitars. 06. DDevil - carrying a message that states plagiarization is rampant in today's society, they tell us loud and clear that no one's writing except their own, of course is original in every way. But that's just the first verse. This is yet another excellent track. 07. Soil - an almost Arabian sounding vocal line with excellent music. They mold together well, although it seems as if they shouldn't. "Don't you, realize, that evil, lives in the motherf--king skin?" Not sure what it means, but it sounds wonderful! 08. War? - the lyrics are self-explanatory with their message. All together, this track is also one of my favorites from the CD. Just good. 'Nuff said. 09. Mind - unfortunately, I rarely listen to this track only because. Well, I just skip it a lot. It's SOAD though, so it's good, trust me. 10. Peephole - my favorite song to play on my bass. Polka with metal. Man, it's a treat for the ears. The lyrics are trippy and can take you to another world. 11. Cubert - weird is the first word that comes to mind. Excellent is the next word. 12. Darts - this song was dedicated to the lives lost in an act of genocide in the Middle East. "Clock men for they will fail. Fear not the gods that come from the sky. Long not for the ones who have lost their way." 13. Pluck - first off, the name rocks! Pluck means Politically Lying Unholy Cowardly Killers. That right there is enough, but I'll go on. The political message behind this song is obvious. "A whole race genocide, taken away all of our pride." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a must buy. If I ever lost this CD I'd slowly die until I bought a new copy. I listen to it daily, along with all of SOAD's CDs. None of my other CDs can compare to this. Not at all, never. The only bad part about this CD is when it ends. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Gopher636, on february 09, 2006

Sound: SOAD are a one of a kind band. You don't see bands like them often. Hell, they're the only one that sounds like them, which is a good thing. Serj can scream and sing like no other. No one sounds like him. Absoloutley no one. Daron's guitar is good, albeit simple generally, and nothing special about his tone. Shavo's bass is good, though generally just following the root and awefully repetitive, though there are exceptions. John's drumming is good, he uses some crazy beats. But somehow, it all fits. It's hard to describe SOAD's sound. Think chaotic. More chaotic then Toxicity, Mezmerize and Hypnotize all wrapped into one. Maybe not, but you get the idea. Easily SOAD's heaviest outing, which I like. // 9

Lyrics: Serj can sing f--king goodly. Yes, I said goodly. Weather he's singing like in Spiders, screaming into the mic a la Suit-Pea, or doing his crazy-assed sounds in DDevil and Suggestions. He was trained as an opera singer, but he's playing metal. Go figure. Chaos ensues, but it's good chaos. // 8

Overall Impression: SOAD's heaviest album by far. Suite Pea opens up with a bang, know keeps it going. Sugar puts more of a groove on you, and Suggestions keeps this up, as does Spiders. DDevil brings back the heavy and follows up with Soil and War? Then the weird tracks come. Peephole and Mind bring about the albums only flaws, I think. It makes it hard to listen to the album full-stop. I always skip them, but thats just me. Cubert brings back the heavy, Darts gives you a weird-heavy song, and PLUCK finishes off with a bang. Well worth the money, SOAD's heaviest album. Get it. // 9

System Of A Down Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on february 27, 2006

Sound: Easily my favorite SOAD album. The guitars are the best guitars I've heard in any of thier albums. The drums are also impressive, especially in Know. Over the years, bass has become more important, and Shavo has pushed the bass to it's max. SOAD has a unique sound that no other band can make, and it will stay that way ages after they had died. Spiders may be one of their best creations yet. It has a deep gothic sound that the bass helps create. Same with Suite-Pee. The intro is so weird, but gets off to a metal-er sound. // 10

Lyrics: I love the way they point out flaws in their songs. Though it is hard to figure out what flaws they are pointing out, and if they are pointing out flaws, it sound sound friggin' cool. Sugar sound awseome when he just randomly puts in "Sugar." Too bad Daron didn't sing in this one. He adds a higher sound to Serj deeper tone. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, no other band will ever be like SOAD, even after the band is over and the members are history. Definalty buy it again. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 09, 2006

Sound: As usual, System tend to have a different sound for each album as they don't agree with having all their songs sounding like one medley. Although System have tried many different approaches to their music, this is definately my favourite album, with songs such as Chic 'n' stu, roulette and mr.jack just showing how different their songs can be on just one album. At the time I bought the album, I was abroad in Turkey. I had just started listening to System, having borrowed a friend's copy of toxicity. After seeing the Steal this album CD in the market I begged for ages for my dad to buy it. I guess I wasn't much bothered by what it was, it was who it was that counted at the time. Having said that, I'm so glad it was that album, and not any other that I listened to second. It was completely different to toxicity, which shocked me, because at the time, I was used to every band having a sound, and sticking to it.The way the guitars were played and the vocals sang inspired me, as I had never heard anything quite like it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are of course what some would describe as a weak point of System. However, these are the people that do not understand the soul and beliefs that go into every word. Not just the way the lyrics are written but the way they are sung portray the way life is, and the political downfall of society. The way that they write is astounding, as if you sat most people down with a piece of paper and a pen, told them to write a song, you'd never get anything as powerful, and true to the writer's heart as this. A lot of people try singing along to System. but until they have heard the song over and over, they will never be in tune. why? because of the incredible harmonies. In this album, the main lines are Tankian's, But malakian has some part in things. for example, his voice has great influence in the song roulette. The lyrics and voices melt into the music like hand in glove. This, as many songwriters and musicians can be extremely hard to do, and many ideas get thrown in the waste paper basket. With System, it seems to be quite effortless. // 10

Overall Impression: This album out competes many other albums, in the way that it doesn't have a real genre. elements of many types of music can be found in their songs, and System have never admitted to having sat down and said, "Let's be rockstars" this is part of what makes their music so unique. their are many influential songs on this album, but some represent our world in such a crisp view, it's impossible not to sit down and just listen in complete silence. Roulette, mr.jack and pictures are just a couple of my favourites off the album, as they tell of different situations and lives. I can't say I "love" parts of the album, and there's definately nothing that I hate. If my album were to be stolen, but perpretrator would be quite disappointed, as it's a computer copy! but as such, I would defiantely go searching for another. It's one of the best albums I have, and I'm proud to own such an amazing piece of workmanship. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: mental_zer0, on september 26, 2006

Sound: This is early System, so you can't expect the newer Mezmerize-ish style. Much more raw and, though it has the political songs, it has a bit more of a personal message from System in there. "Soil" itself is a song about a good friend of theirs that committed suicide. "P.L.U.C.K." is the one song of theirs that almost directly tells you what the song is about. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to it right now. The first actual line of lyrics, not counting the whispering of "elimination" is "A whole race, genocide. Taken away all of our pride." It's fairly obvious. It is also System's debatably most hardcore song, and my personal favorite on the album. The whole CD is their most hardcore through their entire discography. If you have become used to the newer System, this CD may only please you if you can truly appreciate System for all they are. // 10

Lyrics: A lot of people have said this album is great because Daron hardly sings at all. He does some backup stuff in one or two songs but that's it. However, I enjoy Daron's singing. It adds another level of depth to the band and makes it seem more complex (note: his first real singing part is in "Needles" on Toxicity). Serj more than makes up for the lack of Daron on this album however. His amazing range from the major highs to extreme lows still impresses me today, and I have listened to System since this album first came out. The lyrics complement the songs very well, are catchy, and have great meanings. With the exception of some trippy songs here and there. The lyrics are extremely creative, though the were most likely induced by some sort of post-LSD hallucination. Nevertheless, still great. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably System's best album, though that title may belong to Toxicity. The only song that even kind of bugs me is "Suggestions." I still love the song, but it just annoys me when I'm not in the mood to listen to it. The entire album, however, is fantastic. There really isn't a single bad thing I could say about this album. Even the overly-long bass intro to "Mind" is great! Buy this album now is you love System Of A Down and don't have it already! // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Rize, on november 23, 2006

Sound: System Of A Down's sound on this album really upties the alt-metal industries impression on how well sound can be constructed. Possibly the heaviest distortion ever used by System will be found mostly on this album. The sounds on this album are amazing with the use of Harmonics, insane bass lines, and mad-man drumming. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals on this LP self-titled alum can be straightforeward and serious at one minute, and then entertaining at another. Songs like Spiders can be genuine and have sympathy, while songs like CUBErt, and Ddevil are more on the entertaining side. This diversity of lyrics give this CD a great flow, and never keeps you from being bored. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Suite-Pee - this song begins with a notably famous harmonic line from Daron. Simply showing how much talent System of a Down has, this song is a great opener to a great CD. Still, one of my top-favorite songs by System of a Down to date. 02. Know - another great piece of work. Has it's entertaining moments with the lyrics, from Serj. A favorite off of this album. 03. Sugar - one of the singles off of this album. Be it being very serious, yet extremely entertaining at the same time. If you were to put Soil and Darts together, this song would be par to it, lyric-wise. One again, System shows great musiciansmanship. 04. Suggestions - a piece of art. No true explination is necessary. Simply a great song. 05. Spiders - yes, this song is a slow song off of this album. It shows that System can be a serious band as well, with great musiciansmanship and song writing. A good song. 06. Ddevil - System Of A Down goes back once again, to the same style as Sugar. Heavy, humerous, and still metal. 07. Soil - a song with a story. Heavy, extreme, and it has it's points. Simply put, the greatest SoaD song ever written; in my opinion. The drumming is extremely crazy on this song. A masterpiece. 08. War? - great usage of Harmonics by Daron in the beginning. A great use of Vocals by Serj, and the basslines and drumming just ties right in with the great musiciansmanship. Using the line "We wont speak anymore of war", gives a great breakdown in the song. 09. Mind - a different song indeed. Very melodic for the first minute-and-a-half. Then, jumps into a heavy part. Very catchy lyrics that will make you want to sing along to when listening to. Humerous lyrics also. Many people look down upon this song, yet there's this feeling on this song that makes me really like it. 10. Peephole - a different song. Use of different instruments on this song makes is slightly progressive. Ends with a great guitar solo by Daron. 11. CUBErt - a great song. Very short, but you can get a laugh out of when hearing the line "Popcorn everywhere." This song tells a story, yet it ingenious to find out what it means. Still, a great song. 12. Darts - a great song, that expresses the great types of voices that Serj can speak of. When shouts "May I Please", which are the first words spoken on this song, Serj sounds like an angered old woman. A great song. 13. P.L.U.C.K. (Politically Lying Unholy Cowardly Killers) - a great ending song, speaking about genocide, war, and other political crisis situations. A great use of an intro, jumping from one instrument to another, this song shows great musiciansmanship. A great way to end the CD. Overall, if you want raw Alt-Metal, and want to hear the roots that System Of A Down emerged from, this CD is the one to pick. If this CD were lost or stolen, I would definantly buy it again, seeing it as one of my favorite cds of all time (I've had the CD since I was 7, in 1998). // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Amalgam, on january 11, 2007

Sound: What an amazing CD. Bringing to the table a sound that noone else could master, and System Of A Down itself has found it hard to reproduce, the self titled debut of SOAD is probably of the greatest metal works of all time. Toxicity can't even compare to this powerhouse. Bursting onto the scene with a classic, SOAD really plucked a winner out on this one. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics from this band are probably what make them so loved. While they give random nonsense and crazy stories about nothing, this band is, in its true form, a serious band with political and social opinions that are deeply reflected in their music. Some of the best "political songs" would be "War?" and "P.L.U.C.K." with the crazy metaphorically titled "Sugar" (hello, drugs) creating some mass pandemonium, along with a great collection of other wacky and deep songs. "Spiders" is a personal favorite. And Serj's voice really emphasizes what he sings. // 10

Overall Impression: "System Of A Down" is probably one of the best works that SOAD will ever produce. Compared to some of the lame albums put out by these "hardcore" bands, this album blows them all out of the water and strategically assassinates them all. Probably my favorite songs would be "Sugar", "Suite-Pee", "P.L.U.C.K.", and the classic "War?" I love this album because it's a passionate and emotionally fueled album, has all the best qualities of metal, and brings a lot of new ideas to the table for musicians. Honestly there's not much wrong with this album. No, really. If this album were stolen I'd go find the person who stole it and break each of their limbs in four seperate places, take the album back and put it into a high security safe. If it was lost, I'd just buy it again. Possibly one of the most creative albums of all time, "System Of A Down" is sure to leave a lasting impression on future generations of rockers. // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on may 07, 2007

Sound: Simply awesome, the music is so good and the sound is very original, even if your not a fan of alternative metal, you have to appreciate their originality and creativity, no story, mostly aggresive songs, charged by anti-government, songs about murder and suicide, and some songs that I'm not sure are about, they fuse the alternative metal sound with a little bit of middle eastern sound, it's an awesome CD, trust me, it's very weird, and you may not like it at first, but give it a chance. // 9

Lyrics: I love these lyrics on the cd, they're very well thought out, although yea some of them do have that in your face kind of structure, like sugar, suite pee, soil, and war, there are some deep genius lyrics, I love it, the lyrics compliment the music perfect, and Serj's skills are awesome the out of this world yell that Serj does, to soft singing, to middle eastern style singing, to yelling he does it all, and I would say he is one of the better singers around today. // 10

Overall Impression: Yes it does compare to the other albums very easily, it's a very sweet album. The most impressive songs, well there are lots but I'll narrow it down, Suite-Pee, Sugar, Spiders, Mind, War?, know, and Soil are my favs. I love just the overall sound that SOAD has, and I love that it's their most aggressive, I don't like maybe 1 or 2 songs, but that's it. If it were lost/stolen, I'd buy it again for sure, trust me folks, check it out, especially if you are a nu-metal or alt metal fan, even if your not you still should give it a chance, becasue it's a killer CD! // 10

System Of A Down Reviewed by: aenimafist, on august 20, 2007

Sound: System of a Down's debut certainly shows the band's everlasting creativity and intensity spread out among 40 minutes. The older System has many differences from the new SOAD. The guitar parts are simpler and Serj's voice sounds a lot younger, which only made him prone to more innovative musical expressions. This is the album where John has the best tone on his drums and they sound the best at the beginning of "Know". Serj's finest moment has to be none other than the song "Suggestions" because he can use his normal voice, his screaming voice, and his long dragged out notes he likes to create. Shavo writes a lot more of the songs on this album and that leads to there being more bass sound coming from your boombox. Daron's best moment, unfortunately is breif and right away at the beginning of "Suite-Pee". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are definately off-beat from the later System stuff and here is a song-by-song evalution from me. 01. Suite-Pee - a song about a satanically abused child. One of the very best on the album. 02. Know - this one is about somebody wanting to commit suicide to find out what happens to you after you die. 03. Sugar - the meaning is pretty vague here but it is about people who are on mushroom trips sending people to war. Sako is a guitar tech. 04. Suggestions - these are the best lyrics on the album. It is about a beach being invaded by attacking ships and the light post is a lighthouse that is "watching". 05. Spiders - a good break from all of the ruckess. A song about video surveilence and the spiders are bad thoughts running through stuff. 06. Ddevil - this one is about how we all destroy ourselves for no reason. Not the best on the CD. 07. Soil - another fine job by Serj here. It is about a suicide and how there is evil in everybody. 08. War? - possily the best song on the album. It is about the Armenian Genocide which wiped out 1.5 million Armenians. 09. Mind - this one is about the governmental mind-controlling technology and no free thinking. Not the best on the CD. 10. Peephole - this is about warning people not to do drugs too much or you will never be able to come back, stuck in the sky. 11. Cubert - this means cube root which in the song means that life only gets duller and duller until it's just there. 12. Darts - this is about making women rise up in the lives of people and it is against homosexuality. 13. P.L.U.C.K. - it says in the book that this song is dedicaed to the memory of the Armenian Genocide victims. That's exactly what it is. // 9

Overall Impression: This SOAD CD is different from all of the rest by a long-shot. A very good first album for that would also make a good follow up to something but Toxicity was perfect for that job. There are only a few bummers on this one and they are: Mind, and DDevil. Not that they aren't great songs but they get a little tiresome after a while. Best songs: Know, Suite-Pee, War?, Sugar, and Suggestions. Buy this if you don't have it. // 9

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Nikki Christ, on january 07, 2008

Sound: Recently I finally got my copy of System of a Down's self titled debut, and I must admit it is pretty far out there, even for them! The sound of the album is basically the signature System sound, elements of prog metal, nu-metal, and also some eastern influences found in most of the songs. There are some really heavy and also catchy riffs in a lot of the songs which really gives you an open door to really get into the music. "Know" and "Soil" are both good examples of that. However, since this is their first album, you would be able to tell they have matured musically based on their later stuff. The music is still pretty impressive though, some of the patterns Daron plays are really interesting. Songs like "Suite-Pee", "DDevil", and "Sugar" really shows Daron's skills on a guitar. Overall the sound is hard n heavy and in your face, the way system of a down outta be. // 8

Lyrics: Now Lyrically is where I am impressed! The lyrics are like a dark sence of humor. Songs like "Know", "Soil", "War?", and "Sugar" address the serious topic of death in a very humourous way with some pretty slick catch-phrases but also some meaningful lyrics. An example from "Sugar," "I play russian roulette every day, a man's sport, with a bullet called life, yeah mama called life". Serj sings about war, unethical politics, and religous morals in the most morbid way possible. Vocally I'm also very impressed. Serj and Daron both let out screams I didn't know they were capable of. "Suite-Pee" and "Sugar" really shows off Serj's vocal ability especially. In my opinion the lyrics are what really made this album. It brougt the sound of the album to another level. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is pretty amazing. Only 2nd to Mesmerize out of all the System of a down albums in my opinion. "Know", "Sugar", and "Soil" are the most impressive songs on the album. Though I was slightly dissapointed musically, the lyrics madeup for it. If you're a System fan or a fan of prog metal and you don't have this album, I defiantely reccomend you buy it! // 9

System Of A Down Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on january 28, 2009

Sound: The sound in this album really generates a original feel for the true hard core system.It brings back the super heavy riffs that seam more lost in the newer albums like mesmerize and hypnotize. Then in some of the tracks it kind of reminds you of a musical or an opera the way serj sings, especially in CUBErt. You get the feel like your in a circus almost. A very original unique sound that came out of this album and it hasn't been done that often by very many other bands, System of A Down can pull it off. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics from this album were very very deep and they deal with issues in life at home such as abuse and neglect. If you read the article on back of the album and the other article on the bottom of the lyrics in the case then you can tell that the system is dealing with very heavy deep material, but when you listen to some of the songs it is hard to make out because serj is singing so fast. Also some of the lyrics are way screwy, and don't make any sense. In the song Sugar the verses have meaning but the Chorus and the coda are just F----- up! They did do a nice job with making it work though, agian System of a Down can pull it off! // 9

Overall Impression: This album, I think/I hope, will stand out amongst other and stand through the test of time, but all things have an end. It brought that originality back into metal and started the foundation for future musicians, without the system I don't think the world would be the same. I love how different the tempo and the timing is in each song, because it is almost never the same, it is hard to follow, but that's good. Everyone loves a good surprise, and when TheSystem of a Down came out with this album, well surprise mother f------! // 9

System Of A Down Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 04, 2010

Sound: This is the album that started it all, and in mine and many other peoples' opinion, is SOAD at its best. No debate. I'd say the sound for this album is mostly heavy, with Spiders being the sole exception. Can you imagine SOAD without their self-titled effort? Didn't think so. While sometimes the drum or bass parts are a little hard to hear (specifically Suite-Pee and PLUCK), that doesn't stop it from being one of my favorite albums. Serj's singing is the craziest. It's impossible to copy this guy. From the low intro to Spiders, to the ultra high falsetto part in Suggestions, to that noise thingy in the end of Darts, Serj has among one of the most fluctuating and versatile voices ever. Daron's guitar work is simple for the most part, but there's catchy riffs, polka beats and solos - so I can't say all the guitar in this album is the same, it's still a little simple. Shavo's bass work mainly mirrors the guitar work. And I think that's not a good thing. It's hard to hear the bass without a bass booster and he doesn't sing backup until Toxicity (well, then again, neither does Daron). John's drum parts are very influential, fast, technical (Soil) and just overall a blast to listen to and to try to emulate. // 9

Lyrics: Oh man, the lyrics. What a doozy these are. Although some lyrics don't seem to make any sense at first (Darts, Cubert) once you read them you're like "Oh, now I get it." I still don't know what to make of Ddevil though. Anyway, from antichrist lyrics (Suite Pee) to political lyrics (War?) to songs about suicide (Soil), this album has a bunch of different lyrics on different topics, all meaningful. (Well, not Ddevil). // 10

Overall Impression: You cannot compare early SOAD to anything else - not even new SOAD. It's its own breed and I love it because of that. I think my favorites are Ddevil, Soil, Know and Mind. I'm not a particular fan of Spiders though, it's just alright and I would have preferred another song for a single. All of the songs are accesible in my opinion, except for Mind. It's 6 minutes long with a barely audible intro. I love it though. If this was lost and if I could find it I would without a doubt buy it again. // 9

System Of A Down Reviewed by: Jack_Grohl, on april 29, 2011

Sound: System of a Down's first album! Certified gold on February 2nd, and platinum after the release of Toxicity two years later. Apparantly, I'm not the only one who thinks that this album might be one of the best System of a Down has released. I love this album, it's a great mix of humor, politics and insanity. System of a Down is often categorized as metal, although I can see why, the band is really a category in itself. // 9

Lyrics: All lyrics were written by lead vocalist Serj Tankian, except for the Lyrics on CUBErt, which was written by Tankian and the band's guitarist/vocalist Daron Malakian (he doesn't sing very much on the first three albums, though). The lyrics on this album are great, written in a way that makes you wonder about them. Either that, or they deliver a message so clear and loud everyone should be able to understand it. // 10

Overall Impression: System of a Down certainly compares to the band's other albums, some might even say it's the best they ever released! And when comparing System of a Down to other artists: 17/50 songs on my top 50 iTunes list are written by System, which is more than any other artist on my iTunes. Now, a little review of each song on the album: 01. Suite-Pee: The song starts off with a silly little riff consisting of overtones. It then transforms into a solid metal track with dark-sounding guitars and a heavy bass sound. Serj growls his way through the song, and when it's finished, it leaves you hungering for more. A great opener, although Prison Song might be a tiny bit better (in my opinion). 02. Know: Another heavy track with some impressive drumming. I especially like the "Don't ever try to fly.." part. 03. Sugar: This song shows us the insane part of System which we all love. Only Serj could sing a song about "The kombucha mushroom people.." and get away with it. In the end of the song, the tempo increases until it suddenly stops. Great song, this and Spiders were the only songs to be released as singles from this album. 04. Suggestions: This song showcases Tankian's brilliant abilities as a lyricist. You may have your own interpretation of the lyrics on this song, so I won't say this is the correct interpretation, but I thought I would add it: http://www.lyricinterpretations.com/System-of-a-Down/Suggestions 05. Spiders: The start of this song is soft, haunting, weak, until it builds up and you quickly realize why so many people love this song. 06. DDevil: This song is full of madness and hilarity ("Select me, select me! *snort*...", "...the devil is so lovely.."), in wonderful contrast to the album's more serious songs like "War?", "Spiders" and "Mind". 07. Soil: Probably my favourite song on the album! I especially like the little riff Daron plays at 2:26-2:52. Also some great lyrics on this song (Don't you realize evil lives in the motherfucking skin?). 08. War?: Remember what I said earlier about System delivering a loud, clear message? Guess what song I was thinking about... 09. Mind: This song starts off with a soft bass intro, creating a scary, haunting atmosphere. This continues for almost 2 minutes, with Serj whispering "...look at eachother...", which just adds to that whole atmosphere. At 1:45, the song becomes more heavy, and if you didn't pay attention to the song before, you're sure to do that at this point. Great song, also the longest on the album. 10. Peephole: Footnote in the lyrics booklet: "The February 18 edition of Britain's NEW SCIENTIST Magazine reports that the Geneva-based World Health Organization suppressed, under political pressure, a report which confirmed that marijuana is safer than either alcohol or tobacco." This makes lyrics like "When your stars are baked, and your rivers fly, do you ever believe you get stuck in the sky?" seem understandable. 11. CUBErt: Another solid metal track. At 1:49 minutes, it is not very long, but great nontheless. 12. Darts: The part at 1:39 is just epic. Sounds great live aswell. 13. P.L.U.C.K: System of a Down dedicated this song to the memory of the Armenian Genocide, if you're a System of a Down fan and haven't heard about that, I strongly suggest looking that up! The song is good, my favourite part is 1:52 - 2:19. // 10

More System Of A Down reviews rating latest review