Toxicity Review

system of a down: Toxicity
Released: Sep 4, 2001
Genre: Nu-Metal
Label: American Recordings
"Toxicity" is the second album by band System Of A Down.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 9.5
Toxicity Reviewed by: Project_0, on august 12, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is a breathe of fresh air. Its so different from any other System Of A Down album or any album by any band. 1 of the things that makes this album so different from any other is the wierd sounds they make. For example the guitar solo in "Deer Dance" sounds so wierd. Thats the 1 thing I dont like about this album. The stupid sounds are pretty annoying. The guitaring was solid. The most inmpressive song on guitar has to be "Science." The drumming was great. The most impressive song on drums is probably either "X," "Chop Suey" or "Toxicity." The bass was really impressive especially in "Deer Dance" and was really cool in "Aerials." What I like the most about this album is that most of the songs are pretty easy to play. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are meaningful, funny and a little wierd (in a good way). System of a Downs anti-government/war lyrics are really affective. I'm not kidding they made me rebel against stuff too. It's kinda contagious with this CD. System of a Downs singing is at its best on this album. Serj sings the best in "Chop Suey" and Daron sings the best in "Needles." It's all good though. // 10

Overall Impression: Toxcity is definetly System Of A Downs best album. It is a must listen to album. After listening to this CD I found out how creative System Of A Down can be. In my opinion, the best song on this album is "Science." All the tracks are really good but "Science" really stands out as the coolest. The intro reminds me of the BYOB intro. They are both awsome. The song I liked the least is "Needles." I think that it's just kinda stupid. The lyrics for that song are good at least. I would definetly recomend this album to any true rock fan. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: SOADRox, on february 03, 2006

Sound: It's System Of A Down time! With their politcal undertones and their nu-metal overtones, they are the leading political band in this country. Toxicity is, quite possibly, one of their most popular CDs. I, however, and not bias to any of their CDs. I love all of them! Let's break down the review now. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Prison Song - a false start. Just open on all the instruments. Followed by a somewhat fast intro. Serj whispers "They're trying to build a prison." About this time, you will smile because you realize it's gonna be a rockin' CD! Of course, the political message here is obvious. They are trying to build a prison for us all. Also, he mentions the irony behind the fact that drug research shows treatment should be increased and police decreased. All of SOAD's facts are accurate, trust me. 02. Needles - this isn't my favorite song from the CD. I'm being honest here, it's a good song, but I dunno. It doesn't appeal to me. I guess they are using allegories when they say "I cannot grow until you eat the last of me, oh, when will I be free?" I suppose they are talking about the government. But, eh, just not my favorite song. 03. Deer Dance - this, however, is my favorite! The Armenian quad's musical ability is obivous here. Excellent intro with a really awesome guitar leading up to the first verse. "Invisible police" "presence sponsored fear" that is Orwellian sounding. Somewhat 1984. Big Brother, know what I mean? 04. Jet Pilot - I was kicking it, listening to SOAD. Deer Dance was over, I was in amazement. The BAM! "Wired were the eyes of a horse on a Jet Pilot!" It just starts. No intro. Deer Dance ends, Jet Pilot starts. I fell out of my chair. Honestly, this is a rocking song. I don't know what the message is here, but it is good. Really good. Serj's voice is awesome. 05. X - really good intro. Well, not really good. But I like the guitar. Also, it has good lyrics and it has Serj. Serj is explanation enough. He makes SOAD. And he is really good on this song. 06. Chop Suey! - really nice acoustic guitar intro which leads up to a good electric and a bass. This is their radio friendly song, so no cursing. But that's not bad. It's an excellent song, really good break down toward the end. This is, I don't know how to say it. This is a piece of art. 07. Bounce - ha! This is another one of those songs that just bam! It starts! But it's really good, just like Jet Pilot. 08. Forest - excellent is the first word that comes to mind. "You made the weapons for us all, just look at us now!" That is a very powerful sentence right there. 09. ATWA - a good acoustic. I play this from time to time on my guitar. It's a good song. It's deceptive. Real nice and gentle. Then boom! "You don't care about how I feel!" It's like a small explosion of good music! 10. Science - plainly stating how science has failed us. I'd have to agree. "Science fails to recognize the single most, potent element of human existence. Letting the reigns go, to the unfolding, is faith." 11. Shimmy - I like this song a lot. The lyrics are strong, really. But it's really cool. I love the way Serj says "I wanna shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, until the break of dawn. Yeaaah!" Serj's voice is in compliance with the music. 12. Toxicity - another song I enjoy playing as well as listening to. Lyrically powerful, musically powerful, vocally powerful. That trifecta makes this song amazing. 13. Psycho - this tends to be a song I skip. Not because it's bad, but it's not my favorite. I've little to say about this song. It's worth listening to, but not my style. 14. Aerials - really good! I saw an interview about the meaning of this song. From Shavo Odadjian "This song is about a kid in a wheel chair looking up at a guy on a tight rope at a circus and all the other high flying acts. All the while wishing he could do that." // 10

Overall Impression: This is their best CD to a lot of people, like I said. But I love all of their CDs. Some of the best songs would have to be Prison Song, Deer Dance, and Aerials. Those three songs make this CD worth buying. The only thing I don't like is it does tend to be somewhat repetitive sometimes. But it doesn't bother me too much. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: PUNQ, on march 02, 2004

Sound: What can I say about System Of a Down? Well here I go. Toxicity has the most original sounds I have ever heard. It's not EXACTLY Metal, and not REALLY Punk, and definately not Folk. Thus the name "System Of a Down". The sound is loud where it matters, and it's soft when it needs too. A Head-Banging good time! // 10

Lyrics: Buy Toxicity friends, and you will NOT be disappointed! Every single song is a work of lyrical art... (is lyrical even a word? meh...). Well, except for 1 song. But I'll get to that in a second. These lyrix are very deep, and terribly thought provoking. By far Toxicity has the best lyrics in the bunch. But I guess we'll have to see what goes down when SOAD releases their newest album in late 2004... // 8

Overall Impression: Toxicity has no worthy comparison, except for their other CD's. Every single song was a masterpiece, but only for 1 exeption. I don't consider Bounce a very good song. I realize that it's supposed to be a goof song like their unreleased song "Johnny", but it's just mostly saying BOUNCE, and POGOPOGOPOGO over and over again, and i don't figure they are sufficient lyrics, it's a mean thing to say but it's true. I love this CD and I guard it with my life, if you own this CD, never lend it out! If you ever loose it (which would suck a great deal) buy it again, Toxicity is just too good to let go of. And if you havnt noticed already, Buy The Cd!!! And Split Your Ears With Music That Really Makes Sense!!! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2005

Sound: This album is the best SOAD ever done. You really get a special felling when lsten at this for the first time. They are using C tunning So they can get this heavy sound in the guitar. Great neo metal. Great song's on this album: Prison Song, Needles, Deer Dance, Chop Suey, Forest, ATWA, Science, Toxicity, Psycho, Aerials. As you can se almost everybody is good, But this song's are just a little bit more special. // 10

Lyrics: The text really has a mening, They are not just singing about sex and chick's. They are singing about inportant things, but not just politics becuse I know they don't wanna be political band. They are singing about life. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive song on the album most be aerials, You really get that strange felling listen to this song. I love everything on this album, but one thing I don't love about this album is when you get it you never let go of it like drug's. If my CD was stolen/lost then I would be desperat and get a new one. Maybe five copies to. I lost my steal this album and I bought two of it so I did have a copy. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: zappp, on july 21, 2003

Sound: Toxicity at first may be slightly dissapointing as the first several songs are all heavy thrash type music and sound similar. But those feelings of dissapointment soon leave as you get into the flow of the CD. On the whole the music is quite addictive and you'll find yourself humming one of the tunes long after you've heard it. // 8

Lyrics: But the best part of the CD are the lyrics. In todays world of corporate pop where "dating" is the only thing anyone can seem to sing about, Toxicity is a breath of fresh air. Serj Tankian sings (and shouts) about global and political issues, where he uses metaphors, similes and biblical references to describe what he's singing about. // 8

Overall Impression: With enough contrast between heavy and melodic, a hint of Middle Eastern influence and enough wisdom for three wise men, Toxicity is an emotion fueled CD that will remain a classic. (P.S. the only track that lets it down is Bounce, what a lame). // 8

Toxicity Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 06, 2004

Sound: I would like to say that as a very unique evolution in metal, it has friggin' awesome! Heaviest stuff ever! This is like SOAD's very own metal category, and it is used very artistically and great to make people listen to their words. Every SOAD fan should own this paradigm of...well, System of a Down and what they are! The final track "Aerials" is very creative because of the 2nd half, 13th track "Psycho" had sort of a solo in it, and guitarist Daron Malakian is very talented in making a jagged sound that is his very own. // 8

Lyrics: Like 4th track "Jet Pilot", the lyrics are very funny! The title track "Toxicity" talks about the pollution and disorder in our land and is speaking out against it, so there is pretty much nothing bad about the lyrics at all. Singer Serj Tankian sings in his own way too. Its funny, its great, artistic, and makes people hear them. // 10

Overall Impression: Its cannot be compared to other albums by other artists. Toxicity is very unique. This is one of those albums that ALL of the tracks are good. I love this album, and there is nothing to hate. I would go through desperate measures to retrieve it if it were stolen, and I won't be happy for a while if it broke... I'll probably buy it again... This is a must-have! It doesn't have an explicit content sticker on it so everybody can enjoy it. It is funny too. If you want to have a good time, like a party or something, play this cd. It'll get you psycho, and that's how I got my name. You won"t regret it... buy it now... well, what are you waiting for!? // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Overall Impression: People say SOAD are great but they're not. "Chop Suey" is a good rocky anthem kinda song but the rest of the album all sounds the same. There are few tracks which I can actually distinguish from any other ones. Once you have heard the first 30 seconds of the album you have pretty much heard what 90% of the cd sounds like. I don't see any musical genious anywhere on the album. I personally think thats its fine for all the 10-12 yr olds out there who want something to play loud to annoy their parents but even they will only listen to the first track because it is easy to get to and chop suey because they have heard it before. Not a lot on offer here. If you want heavy music find someone like rage against the machine not these guys. // 4

Toxicity Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2003

Overall Impression: If you ask me, this is one of the best CD's ever created. It's great for fans of heavy music, with is super-fast, drop-tuned power chords. If you aren't particularly fond of heavy metal, System Of A Down isn't your average heavy metal group. They aren't the kind of band who spends the entire song screaming. Sure, they do scream some, but not too much, or too little. Some of the songs aren't even all that heavy. Take "Aerials" for example. This is a very good song, and is tolerable in terms of "heaviness". Then again, for you fans of heavy music, there are songs like "Jet Pilot" and "X". This CD offers plenty of variety. When compared to KoRn (not that I don't think KoRn is awesome) SOAD offers many more different sounding songs. If you listen to a KoRn CD all the way through, there may be some songs you like, but most of it just sounds the same. With SOAD I can listen through the entire CD nonstop and still be highly entertained. But don't take my word for it. Go buy it (especially if you've heard a SOAD song and liked it)! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: WilBeDed, on july 27, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is unique, brilliant none the less. Singer Serj Tankian, guitarist Daron Malakian, bassist Shavo Odadjian and drummer John Dolmayan, each member compliments each others sound. Some songs can be very emotional on this album, such as prison song expressing obvious anger towards the government. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics on this album are also very unique, some song very odd. Just by listening to Serj you can hear he has a very wide range of tone he can swap to. From normal singing to Slipknot-esque deep screaming. That make the songs very impressionable. // 8

Overall Impression: Toxicity, Psycho, Shimmy and Forest are all brilliant songs. There is nothing you can really hate on this album if you are into the type of music. It is overall a brilliant album, also learning to play the songs is great fun. If I lost this album, I would go out and buy two more copies. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: elf+cheb, on october 22, 2005

Sound: Ok this is my first review and is on my favourite CD I own at the moment, Toxicity. After their debut you expect they would come back with something pretty heavy, but this is not as heavy as its predocesser, and I like it that way! The first SOAD song I heard was BYOB, but once you listen to Chop Suey and Needles, you know this is a band with talent! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics I believe are great, daron has a way with the lyrics that are catchy and meaningful, just awesome! The lyrics fit the type of music they try to create really well, Toxicity gets its point across with Serj singing the lyrics in a mood that makes you think about the kind of LA they are trying to portray to you, then in bounce the image of sex is done in those comedy lyrics then theres the one most people know, Chop Suey the lyrics are powerful, menaingful and were written on tour, but just amazing to listen to! A must have just for that song! The highlight of SOAD is Serj, a singer with the best singing I have ever heard, now my fav band is foos but Dave Grohl cannot compare to his singin power! Listen and weep at his greatness! // 10

Overall Impression: I am not a big fan of the nu-metal thing, but soad are just too awesome to be missed! Highlights on the album: Chop Suey, Toxicity, Needles, Aerials, Phycho. What I love about this album is it can be pretty heavy (Deer Dance, Prison Song), deep and meaningful (Chop Suey, Toxicity, Airials), and just a bit silly (Needles "Pull the tapeworm out of your ass, hey"). But this creates an album with great songs, great riffs and just overall a great album. A must have for anyone with ears! And if it was stolen I would not hesitate buyin this again, also the robber should be jailed for lettin me go 5 minutes without hearing it! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on february 23, 2006

Sound: Unique. There is no other band like SOAD out there. Daron is an awseome guitarist, Shavo is one of the best bassists alive (or dead for that matter), Serj is great at whispering, screaming, and giving that wierd deep sound he does, and the drums are some different. Then again, everything about them is different. Shavo stands out in Aerials with that bass solo. There will never be another band that is as strange sounding as SOAD. // 9

Lyrics: Wierd. They are friggin' wierd. But, that makes it easier to find out what it means because it's not like every other band. Serj and Daron are excellent when coupled together. It's heavy when it's supposed to be heavy, and soft when it's supposed to be soft. Although make a little less wierd, it's still worth $15. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I've said, no other album can compare to Toxicity. Undoubtfully their best one yet. Most every song is wirth listening to. // 9

Toxicity Reviewed by: Torino1, on november 01, 2006

Sound: The original album artwork and packaging was done by Daron Malakian's father, Vartan Malakian. System is one of rock's most daring and innovative bands. Their music is unbelievable with great chemistry between each band member. They mostly play Hard Rock. Actually, they only play hard rock. They make innovations by going head on against the government with their lyrics, especially in the song "Prison Song". They're really just making their own version of the Declaration of Independence in that song. On this CD, Daron rarely does guitar solos. The only guitar solo is in the song "Psycho". // 10

Lyrics: System Of A Down is most known for their heaviness against the United States Government and about the American society. When I got this album, I had no idea what the lyrics meant. For example, in the song "Shimmy", the first verse lyrics are as follows: "Education, fornication, in you are, Go/Education, subjugation, now you're out, Go/Education, fornication, in you are, Go/Don't be late for school again boy." But they have many good songs, too. The album is named after the song Toxicity and consists of the ever popular smash hit "Chop Suey", which is was on UG's Top 100 for a long time. Really, the freaky lyrics go together perfectly with Daron Malakian's uncanny skills as a guitarist. Vocalist Serj Tankian has a very, powerful voice. His Armenian accent is sometimes heard through his vocals, which goes great with their songs, which have a Spanish feel. // 9

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to any other album that I've heard so far. The closest I can think of is, well, nothing. This CD has a wide variety of song feels. Obviously, the most popular song on this CD is "Chop Suey". Personaly, my favorite song is "Needles", but I doubt you care about my opinion. I love the heaviness of the songs, and how they take songs that sound like they're from Spain or something and make them rock. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one of SOAD's CDs because I already have this one on my iPod. If I didn't have and iPod, yes, I would get Toxicity again. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: DimeRazorback, on january 10, 2007

Sound: The band's sound and music itself is really good, and original. These guys are one of the few bands that have their own sound. I don't think that there is a story attached to the album, but most of the songs are politically charged, but unless you really listen to the lyrics, you can't tell. The music style is very original and different, as I said they have their own sound, which is probably one of the reasons that this was such a big hit, you might call this album alt. metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics don't make sense to most people, you have to really listen to them to understand what they mean. For the most part the lyrics go along with the music, especially in the songs Shimmy, Chop Suey, ATWA, and Prison Song. The singer skills are amazing, there's no limit to Serj's voice, whether it's high pitched, a deep growl or yelling, he can pull anything off, and Darron's backing vocals add a lot to the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other albums, it's probably their best. They improved from the self titled album, the lyrics have a lot more meaning, and the music itself is much more impressive (especially Darron's guitar work). The most impressive songs in my opinion are, ATWA, Chop Suey, Toxicity, Aerials, Needles, and Shimmy. I love the variety of different types of songs, and that there isn't any rules for SOAD and what type of music they make, and to be honest there's nothing I hate about this album, I don't like the song Nullify, but that; s the only part of it that I don't like. If it were lost or stolen, I would most definetly buy another copy of this cd, it is a classic in my mind, and I'm glad I heard aerials 3 years ago and decided to buy it. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: benomino324, on february 09, 2009

Sound: I think this CD is one of their biggest blowouts ever. The music on this CD is with no doubt System of a Down's best. The music styles used are basically some Hard Rock, some Metal, a little Punk/Garage, and very little Slow Rock. Also, if you look at the album art on the front for about 15 seconds, you will randomly start to laugh. It works, like they say, laughter is an instant vacation. // 9

Lyrics: If you are looking for songs that have meaning you have found the right CD. Some of the lyrics are confising and awkward, while some are persuasive and grasping. The singer (Serj Tankian) has an unusually hypnotizing voice that is really entertaining to hear. He can sing and scream great! // 9

Overall Impression: This album compares to other CDs basically like: you can't judge an artist by what's on the outside of the album, you have to listen to the music to like it. Prison Song, Chop Suey!, Atwa, Shimmy, Toxicity, and Aerials are the most impressive songs. I would not buy it again because I already have it ripped to my computer. But, if I didn't have it ripped, I would definetely buy it again. // 9

Toxicity Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Overall Impression: This is without doubt the best album ever made it make the first album look so one dimensional. It kicks of with the stop - start riff off the political "Prison Song" and ends with the reflective "Aerials" which goes from a melodic intro to a hammering middle part. It would be immpossible to put the tracks in order of best to worst simply because they are all classics! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: terrible1fi, on july 21, 2003

Overall Impression: This a a very good album. It's starts off hard and never looks back. It has a lot of good rhythms and riffs and the vocals match the tone of the band just right. If you like "Nu Metal" then this is the album for you. The reason I gave it a four is because some of the songs get repetitive kind of quick. But there are some good songs, like A.T.W.A. and Chop Suey and others. This is a very good album, and well worth the money. // 8

Toxicity Reviewed by: gregmccormick, on november 05, 2003

Sound: Although the songs tend to sound the same, they are well put together woth the exception of a few. It is mainly head-thrashing metal, but the quiet parts are what makes the c.d. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are a little strange, like Jet Pilot or Bounce, but some of the songs are very well done like Prison Song. I liked the political aspect of this album, which shows in several songs. Serj Tankian maybe sometimes...under-rated as a singer because of his style, but I think he is a great singer in most songs. // 8

Overall Impression: The best song on the album is either Toxicity or Aerials, as they give more mellow parts and really show the best of Serj, even if they are strange("...eating seeds as a pass time activity..."). I loved just about everthing about this album, except that the songs run together until you know them all. If somebody stole it I would buy it again, or I would burn it instead of paying $20+tax in Canadian money. Its worth buying until you listen to it so much you almost get bored of it, which is when you should get a different album(System of a Down). I'd also like to add that the guitar riffs are great for begginers because of the absense of solos and the drop C tuning, and they don't sound to bad once you know them. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: burntwist2003, on april 13, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is totally different to what I had been listening to before I stumbled across this album. Daron Malakian has to be one of the really up and coming guitarists with his high speed riffs etc. Serj Tankian is a very different vocalist. He definitely gives out his armenian origin in the way that he delivers the lyrics. Shavo Odadjian the bassist, who has the same birthday as me, maybe doesn't get as much recognition as he should. I admit the album is fairly dominated by Daron's amazing guitaring skills and Serj's odd voice but Shavo does put some major input into the album with some heavy parts which are really quite affective. The drummer John Doloyman uses some very fast and complex drum beats on this album which improve the album. Yet he has one letdown which is he doesn't use double bass drums. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics that are used on this album are sometimes said to be political, yet not as good as Rage Against The Machine. I do agree some of the lyrics do have some political meaning e.g. Prison Song & Deer Dance. Yet some of the lyrics are quite poignant and personal to Daron & Serj who write the lyrics e.g. Jet Pilot which is about an Armenian Genocide that happened in 1914. Also they even delve into other peoples minds like the song ATWA which is about Charles Manson. The lyrics in my opinion are superb. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has to be one of the greatest albums I have ever listened to and is nearly always in my CD player. The great thing about it is that they are all influenced by different things and I think this really comes through in the album. The songs I would recommend are Needles, Forest and Chop Suey. It's amazing, buy it now. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2004

Sound: I've been a fan of system of a down for awhile so I was extastic when my bud gave it to me for my b-day. All the songs rock really heard and they're way better then these "Nu Metal" bands and they are political without sounding whinny, and Serj's voice is so awesome! He can shout scary growls and bellows but sing melodies too. The drums are the best I think and Daron's guitar is just so awesome. Shavo and his bass stand out on some songs too (i.e. Prison song I thought the bass line was well done). // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are really intelligent. They're meaningful and show so much creativity. Chop Suey, Needles and ATWA are the real lyrical gems. Honorable mention goes to Science n Aerials. Every song shows a differnet side of SOAD (e.i., Prison song and Deer Dance-goverment/political rants-Bounce-FUnny Chop Suey and Needles-Addiction Science-Faith Forest-Talking about the Amermanian Genocide) so it's all pretty awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this album. I can't wait to see them live (and get squished in the moshpit hurrya). Oh ya and for those who critize Bounce, lighten up! It's a hilarious song. Every band is untitled to be crazy and Bounce is just showing the fun side of the group. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: altronataku, on june 01, 2004

Sound: When I first heard toxicity, I thought it was really good. But most of the time, when i hear something good in the first time, it usually means, after a few times, it'll get boring and I wont like it anymore. thats not the case with this album. I've listed to it countless times and i still love it. The drumming in this album was really creative, especially on the song toxicity. They used some very creative beat, not just with drumming, but also guitar and bass and sometimes they put it all together to make it work, on songs like jet pilot, they used that technique to make a latin sounding verse. On some songs, the guitar strokes are incredibly fast and the surprising thing is that its all downstrokes and that makes it even more impressive. And they hung the bass out to dry and some of the songs would suck without the great bass lines. At first, all of the songs sounded the same because its always so low you cant tell. But after a few tries, every song will be completely different and significant among eachother. And at the end theres this really cool, armanian based song. System Of A Down wasnt afraid to experiment with unusual sounds and it sounds hilarious sometimes, espically on bounce. Overall the sound of toxicity is excellent and very long lasting. // 10

Lyrics: Honestly, I don't think theres a better writer in todays simplistic, too- easy-to-write strait forward bland music. I think these guys are some of the best lyricists ever because their songs are really symbolical and abstract filled with deep phylosophical poetry. It's hard to figure out what some of their songs are and those songs also have more than one meaning and it just depends on how you look at it. They also have some songs dedicated to their roots of Armania and they sing about the armanian genocide and you can tell, just by the lyrics, that they are pissed off about it. This is some of the best lyrics written in todays time period, and its very underrated because many people and musicians dont care about lyrics anymore. The lead singer is a great singer, with a very different voice and an unusual choice for heavy metal because he was a trained oprah singer. but being an oprah singer, that just makes him all the more reasons to be a great voice for music. Also he makes these really cool low growls throughout the whole album. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, I think on with Toxicity, System Of A Down is up there with Nirvana. These two bands are my all time favorites and I never thought that there would be another band that has as much quality as nirvana until I got into system of a down and this album definately matches nirvana albums. In this album the band has accomplished everything to make a great album: great innovative and creative melodies, great poetic lyrics, and great instrumental talent. This album is definately worth buying and if I lost it, I would freak out if I don't get it again immediately. Honestly, this album has nothin to hate and everything to love. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: I first heard songs from this album two years ago on 94.7 The Zone Radio Station. Immediately, I found that it was unlike any other metal record I had ever heard in my lifetime. These guys to me, revived the nu-metal genre. They helped to innovate metal lyrics in that, on this album, not every lyric you hear is "I hate you, F--k You, My Life Sucks, boo-hoo!" They talk about world issues people actually care about on many songs. Music-wise, this album and the band itself are basically the Bastard children of Slayer, Korn, and Rage Against the Machine, with some Middle-Eastern influences here and there. It contains awesome metallic guitars, creepy percussion, and impressive vocal and Bass work. This album once again proves that Metal Music is here to stay. // 10

Lyrics: As I stated earlier, I was stunned by the quality of the lyrics and by the diversity of the subjects that Serj Tankian (the vocalist) discusses. One of the songs, ATWA, was so beautiful that the first time I heard it, I almost cried. The lyrics also work very well with the music. Serj also proved on this album that he can actually sing quite skillfully as well as dish out earth-shattering screams and hard-hitting half-shouted, half-sung rap-style yells. // 10

Overall Impression: This album pretty much kills anything else out there lyric-wise. The most impressinve songs on this album are, by far, the frenetic "Chop Suey !," the politically charged "Toxicity," and the surprisingly beautiful "Atwa." There is absolutely nothing that I hate about this album, it is perfect! If it were stolen, I would certainly buy another one. If you are looking to get this album, there are three versions of it out now. One version with a blue-tinted color contains an extra DVD with a video for "Toxicity" and three songs performed live. The original version (Brown Tinted Color) contains just the album with some hidden tracks, most of which also appear on System of a Down's third album "Steal This Album!" The last version, which I believe is the best, has a red tinted cover with an extra Enhanced CD which contains Videos chronicling the making of this album! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: metal_madness61, on february 09, 2005

Sound: The latest SOAD album has an amazing vibe to it. The sound is amazing. The guitarist Daron used a metal style like he has used with all the other albums but in this album hes added an extra! In some songs you might here a 12 string acoustic playing in the background aswell. But sometimes you get the feeling that the music dosen't go with the lyrics. The guitar in some songs is just so catchy that you want to go see them and learn all their songs! Like in the song Aerials the main tune goes perfectly with the chorus singing. // 10

Lyrics: I think the singer skills need some work because sometimes the singing just sounds not right. And sometimes the singing does not go well with the music. But the lyrics in these songs are truley amazing. Sining about war and drugs is kinda boring it may seem lame but the way the Serj sings it completely changes how people feel about war and drugs. The lyrics can really get to. Some people may not understand but all the lyrics in all their songs are about something that troubles them like war, money and drugs. // 8

Overall Impression: I think no other artist has been able to acheive the type of lyrics and music that system of a down use. Their singing and music changes you and enters you into a world of peace and were there isn't anything wrong. Here are the track listings: 01. Prison Song 02. Needles 03. Deer Dance 04. Jet Pilot 05. X 06. Chop Suey! 07. Bounce 08. Forest 09. ATWA 10. Science 11. Shimmy 12. Toxicity 13. Physco 14. Aerials The most impressive songs on this album have to be Toxicity and Aerials. They really have a real feeling to them. Toxicity is about the poorer people in the world and Aerials is about selfish people who have everything they want. The thing that I love about this album is the lyrics they really get to me. So to summerise it all this album is a must buy to anyone into metal or feel about war, money and drugs. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound in this album was great Daron's guitar pitch was almost perfect it was great. The beat had me banging my head to every song on their even the slower songs. The fast paced guitars and drumming was great but not loud enough it could have been a little bit louder. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were great some of them were even funny cause their was no telling what they were doing when they were writing it. It was great it actually said something though on songs like deerdance. It showed their veiw of things, also Serj's voice is amazing how he could control it and great back up vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: To their other albums I thought this has been their best one of them all. I loved every song on it I can't choose just a couple they were all great. I loved Serj's voice it was hypnotizing I couldn't stop listening. I really don't know of much I didn't like but Daron did not have as many songs where he sang like in Mezmerize. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2005

Sound: Great album. Daron Malakian's guitar is deep-toned and yet brilliant. They have some of the best riffs I have ever heard. They have to be really strong and full bodied to stand out from Serj Tankian's radiant lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals are like a strong coffee. They're definately an aquired taste. When I first listened to thier music when this album came out I couldn't stand it. I thought the vocals were just too wierd. But a few years later my friend was blaring it in the car and I eased up to it. He is definately an extremely skilled singer. I have never heard so many different ways and pitches of singing. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't heard more than a song or two from thier other albums so I have no right to compare thier music or rate thier progress as a band. But I have a hunch that this is thier best album. Definately one of my favorite albums. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: lumberingzombie, on july 25, 2005

Sound: I felt the need to review this album first, being the best System album released. Period. The sound experience is unique, each song sounds different. Some of them with a bouncy, light feeling and others with a stronger more serious meaning. Take Bounce and Aerials for example, two completely different songs that sound brilliant. They maintain the brilliance of their talent in each song. Very unique. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just as powerful as the sound. Another talent from Serj and Daron, they can make it sound heavy and crazy, or soft and emotional. Take Aerials for example, the lyrics play on emotion and are very powerful. // 10

Overall Impression: I will review each individual track, because each one on this album is so unique: 01. Prison Song - a great start to a fantastic album. Great vocal "tricks" from Daron throughout the song. It's a very 'comical' song. The chorus is great 9/10. 02. Needles - another fantastic song, if not sounding slightly weak to begin with, it unfolds into a great song. The lyrics are great. Pull the tapeworm outta your ass 9/10. 03. Deer Dance - not my favourite song on the album, but it does the job. Then again, my opinion right? It's not bad, a good start to the song. I thought the vocals were a bit weak. But still, it has some brilliant guitaring. Worth a listen 7/10. 04. Jet Pilot - worst track on this album. Period. This album would be a god if this track wasnt present. It has no rhythm and the chorus, admittidly sucks 4/10. 05. X - a nice comeback after Jet Pilot. This song is quite short, but has brilliant drumming and guitaring. The vocals work really well with the chorus 9/10. 06. Chop Suey! - one of the best on the album. A very epic song, combining mellow guitaring with a heavy outburst. Mellow vocals work brilliantly, and the lyrics are fantastic. This song is definatley one of the best on the album 10/10. 07. Bounce - as the name emplys, its very bouncy. A short, but f--kin' brilliant. It's just insane 9/10. 08. Forest - my joint favourite with Aerials. This song has a great start, with an epic chorus and some great guitaring and drumming. The vocals are awesome also 10/10. 09. Atwa - the best entrance to a song, ever! This song is a bit more serious on a scale then the others (along with Aerials), but works great as a song. Again, the chorus is brilliant 10/10. 10. Science - a very fun song, with a obvious message. Some great vocals. This song is slightly strange towards the end with the whole "indian" feel but it's unique. Good stuff 9/10. 11. Shimmy - another really short song. A good place was chosen to put Shimmy, it warms you up for Toxicity. I like to think of it as a warm up. But its a great song anyway, bouncy and interesting 9/10. 12. Toxicity - the song of the album doesnt fail to impress. It was never really my favourite, but has a really catchy chorus and sounds great as a song 9/10. 13. Psycho - the catchiest on the album. I can't really say much about this, apart from that its catchy. catchy catchy catchy 10/10. 14. Aerials - a great way to finish a fantastic album. This song is much more serious, and a nice place to put the song (straight after the insane Psycho) it's a very mellow song, but its just so addictive and great. Best on the album. Period 10/10. The album - 9.5/10. A great, great CD ruined slightly by only "Jet Pilot." It's worth buying this album nethertheless, it's the best System Of A Down album. Period. Only other criticism would be that its too short. But that doesn't mean the quality doesn't shine. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: fox69, on october 26, 2005

Sound: Toxicity was the real big breakout for SOAD, and theres a lot of good reason for this. I'm a pretty big SOAD fan, and I like a lot of what toxicity had to offer. It was political, rational, and really put together. they really did a good job of picking which songs for there videos as well. "Chop Suey!" was a great song that had a deep meaning and the band as a whole did great. Daron's best work in my opinion was done on this CD. SOAD did a great job of mixing in all kinds of elements for this CD, using hardcore metal ("Jet Pilot," "Deer Dance"), a bit of softer side ("Aerials," "ATWA"), and semi hard rock ("Toxicity," "Chop Suey!"). Shavo did pretty good for bass, with lots of innovative riffs, and john's drumming was spectacular throughout the whole album, especially in "Chop Suey!" and "Toxicity." // 10

Lyrics: Lyric-wise I was impressed by most of the songwriting in the album. in a few of there songs they did a bit to much of just mashing sensless shit but for the most part Serj and Daron did well. Serj really experimented with his voice a lot by screaming and going soft at different times, e.g. "Prison Song." Serj has a great voice that has a lot of talent and I was really surprised at Daron's skills in this album. I didn't think he was a great singer until I heard "Chop Suey!" a few times. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say this was there best album so far, even though Mezmerize gives it a run for its money. The best songs had to be "Prison Song," "Deer Dance," "Chop Suey!" "Toxicity," "Psycho," and "Aerials." If I did lose this CD I probably wouldn't buy it again 'cause I had a b--ch of a time finding it in the first place, and I have it on my computer now. Hopefully "Hypnotize" turns out to be great to. // 9

Toxicity Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 17, 2005

Sound: This album was released in 2001. There are a lot of great songs on this album. One of them is Needles. It has a cool intro and then it's even better when it gets heavy. The Prison Song is also amother good song. It has good bass in it. Other good songs on this album are Jet Pilot, Chop Suey, Shimmy and Toxicity. Toxicity has a great introduction and same with Shimmy because it's heavy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album is great. I like the part in Toxicity when Serj Tankian say "Eating seeds as a pass time the toxicity" and the part in Needles when he says "I'm sitting in my room, with a needle in my hand, just waiting for the tomb, of some old dying... " That is one of the best parts in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this album just as much as their newer release Mezmerize. The most impressive songs on the album are Prison Song, Needles, Jet Pilot, Chop Suey, Shimmy, Toxicity. I also like the album art. I don't hate anything about this album. I like all the songs. If this were stolen or lost I would go to a store that sells System Of A Down albums and buy it again. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: gnr_fan_17, on march 09, 2006

Sound: This is overall their best album. The Armenian quartet really shines through in this album and great overall performance. Awesome drumming by John which shows best in "Toxicity" and good guitar by Daron with some great added effects. The sound is amazing and the great thing is the way they blend heavy metal with Armenian folk and some funk which results in loud but catchy music. // 10

Lyrics: As always, their lyrics are political. Serj really shines vocally here and this is his best performance to date. His voice is so unique and I love his ability to bend it and get different pitches and sounds. He can go from high-pitched to a low growl just like that. In this album, the songs are much deeper than Mezmerize and Hypnotize and much heavier but credit to Serj who is key to their success. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Prison Song - my favorite song on the album. Hard rock but has deep political vocals. 02. Needles - hilarious lyrics. I believe it's about people leeching and taking advantage of you. 03. Deer Dance - another good song and one of my favorites. Deep lyrics as well. 04. Jet Pilot - one of the weaker songs on the album but still an okay song. 05. X (multiply) - although it's just a filler, I like it. Although it sounds like something they just whipped up in five minutes, it's very catchy. 06. Chop Suey - 'nuff said. One of their best songs ever. Another highlight and favorite. 07. Bounce - hilarious lyrics. A filler song but a good filler. 08. Forest - one of the weaker songs of the album in my opinion. Just an okay song. 09. ATWA - one of my favorites. Very heavy and deep lyrics. 10. Science - I didn't like it as much but after listening to it a few more times, I got used to it and is now one of my favorites. 11. Shimmy - catchy, catchy, catchy. I love it. 12. Toxicity - one of the best songs on the entire album. John shines here. 13. Psycho - another very catchy song. Fast, hard and great to just rock to. 14. Aerials - one of their greatest ever. Can be compared to ATWA and is heavy and deep. Overall, this is a masterpiece. I recommend this to anyone who has just started listening to SOAD and also big fans as well. Highlights of the album: Prison Song, Deer Dance, Chop Suey, ATWA, Science, Shimmy, Psycho and Aerials. The rest are pretty good as well. If this album were stolen, I'd buy two more. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: systemrocks_474, on march 27, 2006

Sound: Toxicity is the best CD that has came out in the last 10 years. Probably since the Black Album. Toxicity is a very politically charged album but it also has it's funny moments. Every single song on the CD is great, and it's hard to find anything wrong with them. System Of A Down has a unique style, and they are definently the best nu-metal band around. The guitar and all the instruments are stunning. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. From strong political tracks like Prison Song and Deer Dance, to songs dealing with religion, like Chop Suey! and Forest, and songs that use a lot of metaphors that get you thinking, like Jet Pilot, and even songs with humor, like Bounce. Then there is ATWA and Ariels, with slow melodic lyrics that are beautiful. Every song on the CD has great lyrics, and Serj's low voice fits them all, Daron also helps sing on some of the songs and the harmony of their voices go great together. It also matches the music great. // 10

Overall Impression: Toxicity is definently the best out of the 5 CDs they have out now. It's before their music style changed for Mezmerize and Hypnotize, which were also great. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: Zacky-Vengeance, on march 28, 2006

Sound: System Of A Downs sound is very unique. There is no band in the world like them, there mix of crazy random inventiveness and stunning musicianship is really special. The guitaring is brutal and heavy, yet finely crafted, while the drumming is very powerful and does more than accompany their songs. Serj's voice just defines System, crazy yet beautiful. Also the vocal harmonies between Serj and Daron are absolutely incredible. The last 30 seconds of 'Chop Suey' leaves u astounded at the vocal displays, absolutely gorgeous. // 10

Lyrics: The singing skills are absoluely amazing, words cannot do justice. The lyrics however can be very forceful and political, but can also be a bit random and wierd as shown in songs like 'Bounce'. They can make you laugh, emotional or even furious. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest albums I own, its raw passion and aggression merged into a CD. The highlights are: The Prison Song, Deer Dance, Chop Suey (best song on the album), Bounce, Toxicity (also awesome) and Ariels. Everything is great, exept it could do with a bit cutting of the more useless songs such as 'X' and 'Jet Pilot' apart from which the album shows no signs of weakness. Highly recommended. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: tommyg_99, on march 29, 2006

Sound: My belief is that this is one of the best Metal/Rock/Punk albums ever created. Produced by Rick Rubin, founder of such works as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, this album is already a timely classic and loveable. My favourite song on this album would be either Deer Dance with it's loveable riff, baton courtesies and rubber bullet kisses, or Toxicity with its Software Version 7.0, awesome drums in the chorus and 6/8 timing. X kinda annoyed the hell out of me, so I'm taking away a point. Still, great guitar from both Daron and Shavo, brilliant drums from John. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, it is a masterpiece, everything from the informative Prison Song "The percentage of Americans in the prison system, prison system, has doubled since 1985," to the angry and defiant Science "Science has failed our world, science has failed our Mother Earth." Some lyrics aren't such brain waves like in Needles "Pull the tapeworm out of your ass." Serj Tankian's sound is a sort of shout/angelic chorus. It can either be screaming like in Chop Suey, or beautiful in Chop Suey. But all in all, another lyrical and vocal triumph for System Of A Down. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first album I bought by System Of A Down. From that I bought every other album they made as well. This album inspired me to learn guitar (mainly Deer Dance, and Suite Pee on self-titled album). I love the in your face antics of the music, the random lyrics like in Bounce, where Daron shouts Pogo! over and over and over again. The most impressive songs would be Prison Song, Deer Dance, Jet Pilot, Chop Suey!, Forest, ATWA, Science, Toxicity, Aerials and Arto (the hidden track in Aerials, played by System. It is an Armenian Funeral Song). All in all, buy this album. Don't steal it. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: suckodrummer, on april 03, 2006

Sound: The sound is soft in the right places and heavy in the right places. You couldn't really put them in a genre 'cause it's all different, which makes them so unique. I think the war has inspires them for some of the songs on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in all the songs are great. They are political/weird/funny/antiwar, which is heaps good. I love the singing in forest when at the first and second lines in the verses he screams. The Needles lyrics are funny, how unique to sing about a tapeworm. I think he is the only singer besides darkness who has the guts to make sounds with his voice, weird but funny. // 10

Overall Impression: It is the best album by any artist, ever. In my mind, noone has ever made a better song than Chop Suey. If I, or you lose this album, buy it again. It is worth it. The drumming, guitaring, and singing are awesome. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2006

Sound: I absolutly love the sound of this album. Daron Milakian has his own style on the guitar and it mixed in with Serj's vocals and John and Shavo's syncopated drum beats and bass lines makes this album stand out as one of the greatest ever recorded. I myself cannot not name the genre of System Of A Down. In my opinion, it should be its own. // 10

Lyrics: Serj Tankian is a great singer/songwriter and he is not afraid to tell what's on his mind. The lyrics on Toxicity are no doubt very opinionated and well thought out and written. Also, some can be very cryptic and up for interpretation of the listener. I find this to be entertaining and keeps me interested. // 9

Overall Impression: I cannot compare Toxicity to any other album that I know. It stands out as itself and can't be put along with other CDs. There is absolutly nothing that I can say I hate on this CD and too much to say I love. This is a great CD. My personal favorite songs on this album are Deer Dance, Chop Suey!, and Toxicity. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: GuitarDeath1124, on june 05, 2006

Sound: I personally enjoyed this album. I believe it showed listeners that a band can be both heavy and melodic. Toxicity was System Of A Down's second album. Their first after their self-titled debut. Daron Malakian and Serj Tankian did all of the writing and composing. System Of A Down, I don't believe, fit into a genre. Most people try to classify them as nu-metal. I do not find this so. I find System Of A Down to be nothing more or less than System Of A Down. The sound of Toxicity was a changed sound from their self-titled album. All elements of the band blended well to make a full sound. The only problem I had with this album's sound would be at some points in some songs it almost becomes "thrashy". I personally don't enjoy it. // 9

Lyrics: I love the lyrics these men produce. Daron and Serj are lyricists that put philosophy and interpretation behind their words. Some songs are blunt. An example would be Prison Song. They're obviously ntalking about the over running of today's prison system, as it states in the song. But the song "Aerials" is in need of deep interpretation. Only Daron or Serj could give a positive meaning to it. Serj being the lead singer has his strong and weak points in vocalism. His range is very middle which is good for the kind of music they play. But when he tries to sing higher he seems to over produce the sound sometimes. Daron, who sings harmonies, is a very talented vocalist. He has a high screechy voice at times which adds emphasis to the song when he screams. He can also travel lower into the middle range and add very pleasnt harmonies to the meoldies Serj is singing. I have no problems at all with the lyrics or vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is wonderful. I wouldn't even be able to begin comparing it to anything else anyone has done. I believe the most impressive songs on this album are Jet Pilot, X, and Aerials. I love most everything about this album. Like I stated the only thing I dislike about it is its reoccuring thrashy-ness. If this album were ever lost, stolen, or broken, I would most certainly buy it again. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 12, 2006

Sound: This is one of the most world changing records of the last 5 or 6 years from Armenian/American mega stars System Of A Down. This catapulted them into the view of the civilised wolrd after years touring with Slayer and confusing their fans. The riffing is something to be marveled at, not its complexity but its sheer volume and power that is enough to slay any good festival crowd (Reading, Download and the like). The Drumming matches the heavy style of this reccord perfectly with a couple of huge beats and fills. The bass guitaring is rather depressing because there is no innovation or indeed signs of true quality which for me, being a bass player, is very depressing. But what the simple bass does do is add to the texture of the riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Serj and Daron are a demon song writing team in many respects. Their lyrics are some of the most varing of any band in the world at the moment and this album and thier latest release "Hypnotyze" are the most clear examples of this. Forest gives a simple yet brilliant view on the subject of paranoid schizophrenia which is often a challenging lyrical subject which is reversed in Atwa, changing the perspective while Psycho gives a manic view on what it could be like to be a groupie of a band and getting involved in drugs and other unpleasant things. Prison Song and Deer Dance are very political showing two of America's bad sides in the leaniant punishments and corrupt dealings in Drugs and the lack of freedom in speech for young people. Forest is the lyrical peak of the record. The craziest song lyricaly is the enormously heavy and insane X. The singing is absolutly bonkers going from insane screams, to old style English speaking in a few seconds. His actual singing is possibly the most unique, detectable and possibly one of the best in the world of rock at the moment. // 10

Overall Impression: Prison Song is the sound of this hard rock band all condensed into this 3 and a half minute blast. The lyrics are striking, the riffs blistering and alot of tempo changes. Needles has the honour of containing the albums first swear word. It also has a right stomper of a chorus and an excellent breakdown. Deer Dance is shorter, and faster. The chorus is cool but what really makes this song is verses. They are all excellent with genius lines such as "Battalions of riot police, with rubber bullet kisses, baton courtesy, service with a smile". Jet Pilot is all about the chorus, "Wired are the eyes of the horse and the Jet Pilot, one that smiled as they flew over the bay". That is basically it. X is the peek of the madness, with some excellent riffs and crazy lyrics. Chop Suey is the mega hit from this album, the acoustic guitaring is good as are the lyrics but I personally find the whole thing a little too catchy. Bounce is a hilarious look into the rather confusing love life of Serj/Daron. Its is actually a diabolical song but it is so funny I don't care. Forest is the albums highlight, showing the mental illness paranoid schizophrenia from the point of view of the supposed "other one". The Chorus is absolutly stunning, the riffs are hugely powerful and the singing is excellent. Atwa changes the perspective of Forest's lyrical theme with a deceptivley calm set of riffs and drumming. Science is ever so slightly boring but it's opening riff is one of the albums best. Shimmy is another one of the "actually terribly but so funny its irellevant" songs. The lyrics are rather bonkers and it is basically over as soon as it has begun. The title track is a genuienly good song with some great lyrics and some awesome riffage. The disapointing bass playing is personifyed in the song, ultra boring and basiccaly a back-up guitar. Psycho is incredible for two reasons: Firstly the lyrics are so catchy but cool it is painful and secondly there is a simple yet sparkling guitar solo that is there to make more guitar players. Its money making but it is effective and a peice of musical genius. Arieals is a brilliant ender, with an awesome set of choruses and some brilliant singing. The simple bass playing is actually quite effective in this song in particular. This song has similarities with "Mr Jack" and "Spiders". Overall, the hard rock scene has seldom seen a more inspiring record after the days of Thin Lizzy and AC/DC, the two finest hard rock (not metal) bands of all time. This has riffs that blow the mind and lyrics that either confuse, inspire or both. Serj is rock and roll's latest big icon with an endless amouny energy many of the greatest rock stars, such as James Hetfeild and Alice Cooper used to get themselves into the limelight. This is a classic album, one that has inspired even modern greats such as Muse. A must buy for any self respecting fan of music. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 10, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album, wow there are so many ways to descrbe it 1st way funny, 2nd overwhelming, 3rd flabbergasting. The guitar on this album is outrageous with very good guitar work on songs such as Shimmy, Science, Toxicity, Deer Dance, and Chop Suey. The drums are overwhelming on this album with amazing drumbeats in songs like Toxicity and The Prison Song. The bass is fllabergasting, it blew me away in songs such Chop Suey and Toxicity. So amazing sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very hilarious and also very political in songs like The Prison Song the song is about how America has too many people in prison and it throws out some facts. The chorus of the Prison Song describes America's need to build more prisons, yet it none-too-discretely blames the government for the problem. The song Pogo I find is hilariuos and it is about an imaginary sexual orgy. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because as I mentioned in my other reviews SOAD have their own sound of genres mixed. I dont have any favourite songs on this album they all kick complete ass in my personal opinio. I love everything about it and I hate nothing about. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again. So get this album if you are a fan of any genre you will be amazing. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: BadBishop, on september 06, 2006

Sound: First off SOAD is one of the most original bands there is today. Especially in metal (they're not nu metal by the way). They have amazing talent all around except for the bass. Daron's guitar isn't the most complex, but you haven't heard riffs like his. John's drumming might be the best in the business just see his drumming on Toxicity. I never knew drumming could actually sound so cool before I heard Chop Suey! and Toxicity. His stuff is harder to play than most death metal bands in my opinion just look at Deer Dance! The only bad thing about this album is the crappy bass. Shavo does not know how to play bass only guitar. Daron played the bass on future recordings that how bad Shavo sucks. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are brilliant. They are some of the most intelligent lyrics and sound like they came from some ancient poet like Homer. They can be interpreted many different ways just take a look at the song Chop Suey! "I cry when angels deserve to die." Need I say more? Serj is also extremely talented and the most talented in the whole band I think. He sings in tenor a difficult mode to sing in rock and still pulls it off! // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best metal album since LD50 and I don't think it's going to be topped any time soon. Chop Suey! is probably the best song ever made just listen to it if you don't believe me. The only thing I hate about it is the bass. It's ok if you don't have Ryan Martinie or Justin Chancellor as your bassist but can you actually play the bass Shavo? // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: AdamDK, on december 18, 2006

Sound: This is my first SOAD album, and I love it. Serj's voice is awesome on this CD, and has a very powerful effect on you. Davon's guitar work is excellent, and his backing vocals are good. I'm not too hooked in on his lead vocals, but he can do good backing vocals. The album has made an impact on me, in a good way. I have become addicted to their songs. The heavy riffs that some of these songs have are amazing, and they blend well with some nice acoustic parts (e.g. Chop Suey). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are powerful, and have a meaning. The songs are a work of art in themself. The lyrics aren't just your usual lyrics, they are about problems around us. Ranging from politics to envrionmental issues like pollution, as demonstrated in songs like Toxicity ("The toxicity of our city" for example is talking about pollution of the city. These lyrics are very unique, and Serj's powerful voice gets the meaning of them to stand out. // 10

Overall Impression: This is arguably their best album, with their best songs. It may be my fist SOAD album, but I've heard songs from Mezmorize, Hypnotize and System Of A Down, and most of the songs on Toxicity are much better. Some of the riffs on this album can seem a little repetitive, but you get over that when you listen to the lyrics come on. Overall, I am very pleased that I spent my 8 on this album instead of another, it has definately proven more than value for money. // 9

Toxicity Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 28, 2007

Sound: Brining on the heavy is what System Of A Down is all about. They are clean maybe 15% of the record which is a pretty low percentage and maybe a good change of pace for all of that quiet stuff going around. The sound stays very constant which I suppose could be good but even with SOAD, it never gets old. // 10

Lyrics: System Of A Down has the second best lyrics ever after Tool. These guys are politi-metal masters of the universe and it is quite entertaining how all of their songs either insult or downgrade the government or police force. But the best things SOAD tries to symbolize are the problems within our nation. Daron and Serj make a great team. // 10

Overall Impression: SOAD is a one of a kind band that will never have a close match to anyone else and will always change and be different in a way that will shock the world evry time. Best songs: my favorite is Deer Dance, Toxicity, Chop Suey, Prison Song, Aerials, and Science. They all have great guitar and drum parts. The bass part is hard to hear which means Shavo was just keeping us on our toes. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on july 23, 2007

Sound: First off I'll start by saying that my impression of this System of a Down's music is great. They are one of if not the most original nu/alt metal bands to have ever came out. Toxicity is another strive forward from their previous Self titled album, which was amazing itself, but, you can really hear their sound evolve on this album, especially lyrically. It is a very politically charged cd, with a few exceptions of course with songs like "Bounce", "Psycho" and "Shimmy", and like the previous album, it does have somewhat of a Middle eastern type of feel to it, mixed with the heavy Nu metal style low tuned guitar riffs and psychotic, melodic, and just plain wierd vocals that Serj Tankian always delivers, it is one of my favorite albums I own, and I would reccomend it to anyone getting into System of a Down. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as always are great. Serj and Darron can write some really good lyrics together, for example "ATWA", "Toxicity", and "Chop Suey" are all examples of great songwriting, and the more simplistic fun lyrics of "Psycho", or "Bounce". The lyrics compliment the music very well. That is one of my favorite parts about SOAD is the way Serj can change pitches and tones of his voice a lot to make the emotion of a song very aggresive, deppresed, or humorous. Serj is a IMO a good singer, I'm not gonna say he's amazing, but, what makes up for that is his originality. You can't find an original voice that stands out like his everday. // 9

Overall Impression: Does it compare to the other albums? Yes, it does, in fact it is one of their best if not their best albums(S/T and Mezmerize are right up there). The most impressive songs are definetly, "Needles", "Deer Dance", "Chop Suey", "Toxicity", "ATWA", "Science", and "Aerials", those are just the MOST impressive songs, the rest are still awesome. What I love about this album is that SOAD seems to have their sound down perfect and to a science in this album, I pretty much love everything about it, and don't really hate anything. If it were stolen or lost I'd definetly get it again! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: wydawg, on january 14, 2008

Sound: Ok so this is my first review and who else deserves it more than one of the best bands on earth? There sound can be deceptive in some songs but once you realize that all the songs have well thought out tone and playability you learn that System has a really good sound which everyone at some point in their lives can relate to. // 9

Lyrics: Well all the lyrics are amazings as we have come to expect from System. They are all about important issues in our everyday life. But the most real and good song for lyrics would have to be "Science". Not only does it have something to say against science it also shows how religion can be good sometimes. Another song that was good lyricaly was "Deer Dance". It shows what the band thought of the war in their home country. Serj is the most amazing singer of all time so it just makes the band.That is just my personal thought on what the lyrics mean, but all the other songs have great lyrics that everyone can appriciate. // 10

Overall Impression: This album completely compares to other musicians work. The only difference is that System's music is a little bit louder than most other artists. But that's not a bad thing. The most impressive song on the album would have to be "Toxicity". This was the song that mad me love System Of A Down. I remember seeing the video on MuchMusic. I love the lyrics and Serj's singing talent. I hate the fact that not enough people know about this cd. If I ever lost this CD I would buy it again and get a few copies for my friends too. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: alexnis1, on august 25, 2008

Sound: This is probably the best System of a Down album they ever released! I have been a fan of SOAD for a while but this was the album that got me hooked. The sound of this album is incredible! The guitar, drums and bass always go so well together no matter what song it is. The majority of the songs are Nu-Metal but with a few slower rock songs thrown in with it. The solo presented at the end of Psycho really gets to you making it the best part of the song. Im not a fan of the slower rock but i loved the way SOAD presented it. Sound deserves a 9. // 9

Lyrics: Serj's voice is just amazing, I could never get tired of it. Daron's backup vocals compliment the song really well giving more spice to the song. Alot of the songs are about really important subjects such as war, political, the consiquences of drugs, and pollution. The vocals in Chop Suey! just blew me away. Some songs such as bounce may be a bit hard to understand the meaning but when you read up on the meaning, you will suddenly realize how good the song is, even though before you were confused. Lyrics certainly deserve a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums ive ever heard! I recommend the songs Chop Suey!, Toxicity, Aerials, Deer Dance, Bounce, Prison Song, Needles, Jet Pilot, X, ATWA, Forest, Psycho, Shimmy and Science... ok thats all the songs but most importantly Science, Chop Suey!, Toxicity and Aerials. I love everything about this album, nothing in there I can say I hate. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldnt wait a minute to buy a new copy. SOAD deserve every bit of credit given to them for this excellent masterpiece! // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2009

Sound: For me, System of a Down's sound is hard to categorize. For example, most say it's numetal, but it is too fast, heavy, and rebellious. Plus, the lyrics aren't direct most of the time. I could say it's thrash metal, but System writes short songs with no solos. It incorporates Armenian folk, but it isn't folk metal. I guess that they are simply unusual metal, and I love it. This album is the best showcase of their uniqueness and awesomeness, and is a classic for these reasons and more. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are pretty cool. They are less repetitive than on their first album, but they still don't necessarily make sense. For example, Serj sings/yells at you to wake up, put on some make up, hide the scars and fade the shake up, leaving the keys on the table, creating another fable, and then tells you trust in his self righteous suicide in "Chop Suey!" However, even with this kind of weirdness, the lyrics jibe with the music, and they make the songs that much more interesting. In my opinion, Serj has always been a fantastic vocalist, and employs a lot of interesting vocal styles in the music. For example, he sometimes sings in a somewhat hypnotic, if not slightly whiny, voice, then he might simply just yell at you, scream at you growl at you, etc. I also like how Daron (the guitarist) adds a visceral, Corey Taylor style growl to the songs. Ultimately, this category is quite strong, even if the lyrics don't always make sense. // 10

Overall Impression: This is SOAD's best album, period. It has the best lyrics, the best (and heaviest) riffs, and quite simply, the best songs of any album they have ever done. Plus, there is not a single song I fail to have warm feelings for, and I think this is one of the greatest albums of all time. So, I really don't think there is what I would call a favorite song on the album, as I love them all. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would immediately get another copy. 'Nuff said. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on may 14, 2012

Sound: System Of A Down are my all time favourite band, and this is my all time favourite album, the sound is great riffs, amazingly distinctive vocals, and a big innovation in rock music, its very hard but soft vocals back this up to an amazing set of songs, so that itself is a reason to buy it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly not tied down to political songs, such as "Boom" or "Prison Song", and opens up to modern songs, the lyrics having meaning to them rather than senseless screaming and yelling found in most bands and groups, and has genuinely great vocalists, drummer, bassist, and guitarists that make an amazing album. // 10

Overall Impression: The best System album, a perfect example of an album, and in my opinion, flawless, "Toxicity" and "Chop Suey" being the standout songs in this brilliant, album, I'm rating this album 10 out of 10, and its the gold standard, by which all future albums should be judged, that's entertainment all right. // 10

Toxicity Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on may 15, 2012

Sound: SOAD is a alternative metal band... So I naturally like it. Many people would consider them Nu-Metal, but alot of the themes relating to the band aren't necessarily Nu-Metal. SOAD has many different things you can pick out, such as the ability to take a simple, common three chord riff, and add it into every song... But somehow make it sound totally different, every time. "Toxicity" takes a few steps away from the bands hyper-aggressive, and more straightforward debut, "System Of A Down". And trades the aggression for more complexity and melody, examples are the albums leading singles "Toxicity", and "Chop Suey". SOAD has a distinctive tone, heavy guitar riffs, genius melodies, and a dark edge that many Alternative Metal bands share. Anyone into Nu Metal, or Modern Metal should definitely check them out. However, I would really like to note, that the songs tend to get repetitive if listened to constantly so that's the only reason the sound gets a 9 instead of a 10. // 9

Lyrics: Serj (Lead Vocals) and Daron (Guitar/Backing Vocals) both collaborate on "Toxicity" to make complex, but very interesting topics and lines. Serj takes his vocal range to newer heights and shows us just what he can belt out, always on time, always on pitch. Also, "Toxicity" marks a point in SOAD's career that introduces less screaming, and more soft, personal lyrics. SOAD's lyrics are sometimes highly political, religious and even ridiculous at times, but everything seems to pan out great when thrown into the mix. However, they can at times, seem unorthodox, and not welcome. // 10

Overall Impression: "Toxicity" from SOAD is a fantastic release and a memorable mention for their career. It takes them into the mainstream rock scene, and shows everyone that you don't have to revolutionize to be remembered. I personally love "X", "Toxicity", "Science", and "Jet Pilot". I have nothing to dislike about the album besides, its sometimes repetitive nature after long listenings. I bought it from iTunes so if my iPod was stolen or something then I would be kinda screwed, but it would be recoverable online. Fantastic album, hands down. // 10

More System Of A Down reviews rating latest review