Louder Now Review

taking back sunday: Louder Now
Release Date: Apr 25, 2006
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Emo
Louder Now takes the group's classic ethos of intertwining vocals and hardcore meets-rock-meets pop to an even more enticing level.
 Lyrics: 8.1
 8.7
 8.6
 8.8
Louder Now Reviewed by: Stevie B, on april 22, 2006

Sound: The bands sound is still relatively similar to their previous albums but this time a bit heavier in places. This is their first major label release which of course makes them sell-outs (im joking btw) and their sound is now more varied and basically louder which makes the title seem appropriate. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are slightly more strange and darker which you should expect as most bands are shifting towards "emo" slightly. The lyrics fit nicely with the music and the melodies are incredibly good which gives the album a poppy edge just like their previous releases. Adam Lazzara isnt the best singer ever but this does not matter because his voice fits the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is just as good as their previous releases and whereas many fans will still prefer Tell All Your Friends I think this is a very good effort. The best songs on the album are the first single MakeDamnSure, previously released Error Operator and Spin. I love the fact the production has made it heavier and if stolen or lost I would would definately get it again. 1 more plus, it's longer than their first 2 albums. // 9

Louder Now Reviewed by: allthatfails, on april 25, 2006

Sound: The sound of the album continues the bands previous style, but comes across as a more clean-cut and produced finish than their previous efforts, most probably due to the band's move to the major label Warner. The band took a much longer period to record the album, and implemented numerous innovative techniques, including those pioneered by other bands, like the splitting up of chords into single notes to record, as previously used by Def Leppard. There is a mix of distortion, acoustic flavouring and crunch with the album, and a wider range of instruments have been used, such as the tambourine and xylophone in the song 'Divine Intervention'. There are some ground sounding parts to the album, with the intro to 'Miami' and then the very decent solo toward the end, and the fast lead guitar in 'Spin' being favourites. The dual-singing approach that the band have used in the past is still present and I was particularly glad that this had survived as I think it's one of Taking Back Sunday's best features. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are of usual quality, but I thought that they could have been expanded in some places, the use of a repeating line for many choruses make some tracks seem a little dull, such as 'Twenty-Twenty Surgery', 'Miami' and 'What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?' There are great lines in the lyrics though, and I'm sure fans of TBS will find depth in most songs. The lyrics fit with the music well, and the blending of singing from both Adam and Fred means that the band can pretty well squeeze any lines in, but nothing on the album seems uncomfortable or forced. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I would rate this as my favourite TBS album so far, but I'm sure many purists might disagree. Compared to many hyped albums from artists which have under-performed or not lived up to expectations, Louder Now is a commendable performance from the band, especially due to their transistion to a major label. Stand out tracks from the album for me are 'What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?', 'MakeDamnSure', 'Twenty-Twenty Surgery', 'Spin' and 'Miami', but it's definitely worth buying the album to get the whole feel. I love a lot of the guitar work on the album; I was captivated by the pretty simplistic but effective verses for 'MakeDamnSure' and I think the blend of genres within the album makes it much more versatile than many other contemporary bands - there is jazzy guitar and chilled out harmonics on songs which are alongside loud, stomping, distorted and catchy tracks with pretty impressive solos. The band have not lost their edge whilst adapting to a more mainstream position. // 10

Louder Now Reviewed by: emo_king, on may 01, 2006

Sound: My first impression upon hearing certain songs leaked from the internet was "wow, this is going to be good". When the album was finally completely leaked on MTV's The Leak, I lost a bit of hope for the album as a whole. It wasn't in true Taking Back Sunday style, and that threw me off a little bit. However, after listening to the album in it's entirety after I purchased it, it was as if I had listened to it in a new light. I enjoyed the musicianship on the album much more than I had given it credit for. Fred Mascherino did such a great job on the last album with the guitar parts, and his addition to the band has not been one that should not be held in low esteem. The opening track, "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?" starts out with a solo guitar riff, then joined in by the whole band. Here is the first taste of the new Taking Back Sunday album, and they don't leave us hanging. The next song, "Liar (It Takes One To Know One)", is one of my personal favorites on the album. The song seems to have a Police-esque guitar in it, as it swells to its explosive chorus. The song's bridge is a short key change, and then returns to it's original key, which is executed nicely. The next song, and first single, entitled "MakeDamnSure" features the typical Taking Back Sunday style vocals, with Lazzara and Mascherino's intertwining vocals. Following this, we hear "Up Against (Blackout)", "My Blue Heaven", and "Twenty-Twenty Surgery", with "My Blue Heaven" being one of my favorites on the album. After we hear these three very upbeat and rocking songs, the next song slows it down with "Divine Intervention". This song seems to be the most change that Taking Back Sunday has taken, seeing as it uses xylophone and what sounds to be muffled, even synthesized, drum beats. In the following song, "Miami", we hear a stunning guitar solo, with a simple breakdown shortly thereafter. The song itself is not too stunning musically, but the syncopation and off beat guitar parts seem to make this song one to remember. The next song, "Error: Operator", is my favorite track on the album. After Taking Back Sunday agreed to release the song on the Fantastic Four soundtrack, it was easy to get a hold of. After falling in love with that version of the song, they surprise us and revamp the song to make it even better than the original version we all grew to love. The bridge, in the middle of the song is changed, and I feel as if for the better. The last song on the album, titled "I'll Let You Live", is a great way to finish off the album. Easily the longest track on the album, its elegant and majestic nature make it one to remember. Taking Back Sunday did not let down with this album. Good work, guys. // 9

Lyrics: My first impression of the lyrics, seeing as "Error: Operator" was the first song I heard from the new album, was that of "They could have done better, but I still like them". After hearing "MakeDamnSure", "Liar (It Takes One To Know One)", and "Up Against (Blackout)", I decided to give the band more credit, which they deserved. I think that the lyrics fit perfectly with the music, seeing as this album's tone seems to be a tad darker than their previous releases. I believe that the compliance of the lyrics and music work together better on this album than ever before. Adam Lazzara's high, screechy vocals seem to fit perfectly on this disc. His ability to scream words at such a high pitch and bring himself down to sing such songs as "Divine Intervention", or, from their 2004 release, "New American Classic", I think that he is a very talented singer for the genre. // 8

Overall Impression: This CD, in my opinion, has been Taking Back Sunday's best effort. Although fans may ridicule it, saying it won't ever live up to "Tell All Your Friends", I believe that their musicianship and overall talent as a band has grown. The most impressive songs on the album, in my opinoin, are the ones that have the most musical talent. I believe that "My Blue Heaven", "Miami", and "Error: Operator" are among the better songs on the album, mainly for their musicianship and structure. I love that this album shows that Taking Back Sunday is growing as a band in talent and in popularity, seeing as this is their first major label debut. To be quite honest, the only thing I didn't like about the album was the simplicity of the acoustic song. After hearing "New American Classic", I was expecting something of the same caliber, using fingerpicking techniques and unconventional chords. If the album were stolen or lost, I would buy a new one. I rushed to buy it on April 25th and would rush to get a new copy. // 8

Louder Now Reviewed by: Shlecht, on august 14, 2006

Sound: Louder Now is definitely a step forward for Taking Back Sunday. It seems like they simply dismissed their previous, more "emo-ish", depressing sound and replaced it with a more pure, genuine rock sound. Specific songs that really stand out the most, the most rock-incorporated and loud songs, would be "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost", "Error Operator", and "Spin". This was the first TBS album I've purchased, though I listened to their other music before, and I was very impressed. Their old music I did not enjoy as much because I thought it was all "emo" fad material, and though it grew on me, I can still see how their sound has developed phenominally. They did, however, throw in the occasional slower/laid back songs (Divine Intervention, and My Blue Heaven somewhat) which is always nice to have on any album. Each album shows their development more, "Where You Want To Be" was quite the change from "Tell All Your Friends", and "Louder Now" is quite the change from "Where You Want To Be". It's heavier and everything mixes well. I've noticed with some bands, they tend to just throw in lyrics and riffs anywhere they want and it does not mix well, but TBS manages to make everything sound perfect at the right time. They also made cool transitions from song to song ("IFLTBAG" to "Liar", "Spin" to "Divine Intervention). The guitars (and even drums, good god they never fail to impress me) have impressed me even more. The more powerful, loud riffs really get my attention more on this album. // 9

Lyrics: Adam and Fred are two extremely talented people. They can both scream and sing with either a soft voice or a hollering voice. Their loud, energetic singing in "Spin" will make you want to scream with them, and Adam's soft, mellow singing in "Divine Intervention" will relax you. I find the lyrics hard to decode. They can either be really complex and make you think and be overall metaphorical, or they can just be out there and be easy to figure out. I find the combination of both impressive. In all honesty, I'm extremely jealous of both vocalists. The actual singing ability and writing content makes me envy them a great deal. // 10

Overall Impression: "Louder Now" is a big step from their previous records. They've got a more in-your-face kind of effect, and the album has a lot more energy. The first track, "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost" will suck you in with the catchy guitar riffs, and you'll hear more tracks similar to it like "Spin" and "Error Operator" (which I've already talked about, I know). Some songs will be more generic than the rest but still very enjoyable. For example, "Twenty Twenty Surgery" and "Up Against", though those are both good songs. This album, like any other of TBS' albums, is undoubtably worth the listen and purchase. The louder ones, which I've already spoken of, are my most favorite ones (along with "I'll Let You Live", though that track is more slow than the others). With TBS' newly developed sound, it's no wonder the album name is entitled "Louder Now" (and frankly, that's one of my favorite album titles ever). // 9

Louder Now Reviewed by: mattfm, on september 07, 2006

Sound: I bought this album after I heard their single, "Make Damn Sure". It has distorted guitars, simple drums, and virtually invisble bass. It first, I'm like "This is a cool song" but when I heard the rest it was emo-ish. It sounded kinda depressing and I didn't like it. Some songs are good, like Make Damn Sure, and What It Feels Like To Be A Ghost. I don't like the sad feeling and the minor keys of the songs. The album itself is really really bland. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are really really really emo. Even though Taking Back Sunday has said they aren't emo, they really are. All of the songs are about dying, how they can't be what they want to be, and how they can't do what they want to do. I think Adam Lazzara has a really nice voice, but his lyrics totally ruin it. The lyrics match perfectly with the music: bland and depressing. // 3

Overall Impression: This album kinda sucks in my opinion. It's emo and that's not my taste. I didn't know that Taking Back Sunday was emo when I bought this, just that MakeDamnSure was a cool song. The best and only good song from this CD is Make Damn Sure. I think emo is a fad and will come and go. Next big in thing will be futuristic space suits and urine influenced music. I would never buy this album again. // 3

Louder Now Reviewed by: Blinkman5, on may 17, 2007

Sound: I think that Taking Back Sunday have, through this album, improved their song writing and music while keeping the same style of music. Eric Valentine (also known for his works with Third Eye Blind and Queens Of The Stone Age) has done a great job producing the album. The artists involved have a very creative style, they have maintained that style over the years, and have kept it their own. Their music is very catchy and sounds amazing. // 9

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is that a lot of work goes into them. Though they may not seem to, the lyrics are very deep and have a lot of meaning. Their lyrics go very well with their music making them irresistable to listen to. Adam Lazzara and Fred Mascherino have gone a long way with their singing. Adam has obviously improved his singing in this album and has a better range. Adam, aswell as singing in a low tone, also sings in a high, smooth tone about two octaves above Fred adding to the texture of their songs. An example of this is in the song "Make Damn Sure" where in the verse Adam takes the lead in singing a low, but smooth tone, and then takes his voice up resulting in a high pitched pre-chorus (here Adam doesn't sing at his best, but it adds to the texture of the song) and chorus. // 8

Overall Impression: Taking Back Sunday are not the best of bands, but they sure do put a dent in the range of styles compared to other bands. Their most impressive songs would be "Liar ( It Takes One To Know One)," "Make Damn Sure," "My Blue Heaven," "Spin," and "I'll Let You Live." These songs would be impressive because the most talent has gone into the skill in playing the instruments mostly in "Spin" and "I'll Let You Live" with amazing riffs and solos. I love everything about this band, their style, their singing, their music, their lyrics, pretty much everything about them. If my Taking Back Sunday: "Louder Now" Album CD was stolen, it would not be the end of the world, but I would buy it again. // 8

Louder Now Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2007

Sound: Taking Back Sunday has taken a completely new style yet again, completely different from both "Tell All Your Friends" and "Where You Want To Be", but that change could almost be seen with the progression of the previous two CD's. The sound is far more polished then the previous albums, but it still maintains that, right on the edge without going over, style. The music itself features interesting background noises that cannot be fully enjoyed with the use of headphones, but they keep you intrigued on what you might hear next. Though the song sound, formats, and structure sometimes repeat themselves, it doesn't really get old. A very speradic sound, yet still keeping everything organized. // 9

Lyrics: Yet again, Taking Back Sunday brings a brilliance through lyrics that is seldom heard elsewhere. The lyrical structure can be extremely diverse to very repetitive, without getting too wild or too boring. My only real complaint with the lyrics, is that at certain times they can become absolute gibberish, making it confusing and taking some of the momentum out of the joy of listening to it. The harmonies and sound that the two singers, Adam Lazzara (lead singer) and Fred Mascherino (guitar and backupsinger/screamer), is absolutely awe inspiring. The two compliment each other tremendously, although the music occasionally clashes with their singing style ("Spin" and "Error: Operator"). Overall, it's something you won't hear anywhere else. // 10

Overall Impression: Louder Now can't really be compared to any other album, because there's none like it really. You could only really compare it to Taking Back Sundays previous albums, which is very hard to do, since all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. 01. What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost - this opens the album with the momentum it needs, although it's a little generic for an opener. It's lyrically brilliant and musically interesting. The momentum waynes during the slow mid section, and it's not really worth the wait to just hear the chorus again at the end. If they had thrown in something a little more interesting during the end, it might've been better. 02. Liar (It Takes One To Know One) - shear lyrical brilliance, definitly the wittiest song on the album, and some of the more intersting guitar techniques to boot (if a little repetitive). The verses could be viewed as gibberish, but the great singing more than makes up for it. The only real way I could see this track being better would be if the wicked fast guitar solo that is played live was thought up before the album was completed so it would be standard with it. 03. MakeDamnSure - another one of the more brilliant tracks on the CD. This is what got me interested in Taking Back Sunday in the first place. This one is probably the closest to the previous two album then any other track on the CD. The melodic verses and hard hitting chorus are a perfect match, the guitar work is less spectacular then other tracks, but sometimes simple is the way to go. It's not to busy of a song, and the slow mid section is short enough that it still remains interesting. 04. Up Against (Blackout) - one of the lower tracks on the CD, the background music and the medolic singing is the only thing really keeping the song together, but it's still pretty good considering how disorganized it can be at times. The chorus can get very repetitive at times, but the short break section in the middle is very interesting to listen to closely. 05. My Blue Heaven - again, one of the better ones on the CD. Adams' voice during the chorus is almost entrancing, it sounds almost like the song "Cocomo". The guitar does various neat techniques without getting carried away and the musical structure is great, although the soft midsection again could be shorter. The paranoid and intense vocals at the end follow through right into the next song great. 06. Twenty-Twenty Surgery - if Taking Back Sunday had ever had anything to fit in with the "rock ballad" genre, this one would be it. The intense intro follows through into the melodic verse. The singing and guitar compliment each other so much here. The chorus gets stuck in your head easily, and the two voices come together into a great harmony. The only thing really missing would be a guitar solo, but Taking Back Sunday isn't really known for that, so I'm not complaining. Pound per pound, one of the best songs they've written. 07. Spin - hard hitting gibberish with a heavy sound, that's the best way to describe it. It's almost like they wrote it without knowing what they were going to say next, although there's a small sense of focus, but it goes all over the board. The chorus can get a bit repetitive, if annoying, at times, yet, it stills comes out okay. 08. Devine Intervention - whiney, slow, yet perfect. A very hard to describe song, the lyrics are extremely complaintive, but if you get past that you'll find a reletivly good acoustic song that has some of the more interesting background noise of the 21rst century, such as knocking on wood, bells, and it was actually recorded on the roof of a building in downtown hollywood, which should explain some of the stranger background noises. As Adam once said "You can almost hear the helicopters now." 09. Miami - yet another hard rock type of sound, this time a kicking solo is included with a paranoid and great sounding chorus. The lyrics at times are absolute genious, and the harmonies between voises are astounding. There's not much to be said, except it's rock, it's great, and it's almost like it's not Taking Back Sunday. 10. Error: Operator - I'm not really into this song very much, it's good, but it's repetitive, yet still fairly enjoyable. The bassline is a great piece of work, as is the guitar and some of the more notable effects with the vocals. Although the lyrics tend to be over the top. 11. I'll Let You Live - either you'll like this one, or you won't, it's that simple. It's a disorganized mess, but it's still interesting and it also gives you a sense of not knowing what's coming next almost everytime you listen to it. The guitar is dark, disturbing, as are the lyrics and singing. It's got brilliant lyrics and some great little harmonies that pop up from time to time, and it's a great way to close out the album. Also, let me tell you one more thing. For some strange reason, they decided to leave out the two better song created for the album. These being "Brooklyn (If You See Something, Say Something)" and "Sleep" these two songs are great, and should be gotten in some form for any TBS fan. // 10

Louder Now Reviewed by: jeremytabs, on july 09, 2007

Sound: This band are a great punk rock influence. There music is completely off tap and I love the way everything is unique and has it's own life force or style, which is why the band is so successful. Everything about them is there own, their lyics, music, and style. As rigid as their styles are, the succesfully produce great sound and are a delight to listen to. I think that their sound is great but is not at his best and I hope to see that in future albums, aswell as I hope to see future albums! // 9

Lyrics: There lyrics focus on a lot of teen life and anti-social behavior which we hear commonly in punk rock. The singer has incredible skills to sing in his own unique way which seems incapable for anyone else to try and do. He has quite a large range and is very talented. The lyrics also go really well with the music. I think they are quite easily one of our times greatest punk rock/emo influences. // 9

Overall Impression: Spin is quite easily one of the songs on their album (Louder Now) that has had a lot of talent and thought go into it. I was also quite impressed by the vocal skill in both Make Damn Sure and Spin. I just love the orignality of the band and this album. If it were stolen or lost, I think I would find the nearest Sanity and buy a new one becuase it is CD which is most of the time in my CD player, if it's not there, it will be in a friends CD player. // 10

Louder Now Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on may 02, 2006

Sound: I was very anxious to get my hands on this album early and when I finally did I was not dissapointed. Adam and the boys definitely took a step up from "Where You Want To Be", and created catchier, more energetic and a better musically structured album than their last. Now in my opinion, "Tell All Your Friends" is one of the best albums released in the genre today, and has been with me ever since I started listening to music. Adam cleaned up his vocals, and although they are not perfect, it is quite enjoyable to listen to and exciting to hear. The entire band kicks it up a notch with their technicallity and have you bobbing your head throughout most of the songs. Overall, "Louder Now" musically is structured wonderfully and definitely packs a punch. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics. There is so much to say relating to the progression (or degression) of Taking Back Sunday's lyrics. "Tell All Your Friends" had lyrics oozing with teenage angst and emotion, and were written by Adam as well as John Nolan, guitarist who now left the band to form Straylight Run. In the absence of Nolan, Taking Back Sunday's lyrics have never been the same. With the repetition of lyrics like "Miami, miami, miami.." You can see the un-originallity taking place in some songs. Although the lyrics lack at some points, they make up for it at a lot of other parts. For example "I'm an addict for dramatics, I confuse the two for love..". Overall, Taking Back Sunday's lyrics will never be the same, but for what they are, they are done well. // 7

Overall Impression: Compare to their other albums, I would have to say "Tell All Your Friends" is better than "Louder Now" which is better than "Where You Want To Be". "Miami", "Spin", and "Liar (It Takes One To Know One)" are the most impressive songs on the album, in my opinion, showcasing some of the best lyrics and best musicallity. I love how this album is a lot more energetic than "Where You Want To Be" but I don't like how they took another step away from the "Tell All Your Friends" days. Overall, the new Taking Back Sunday album is definitely a great listen, and if you have been a loyal fan since the early beginnings, you should love this. Enjoy. // 8

Louder Now Reviewed by: brentman, on may 08, 2006

Sound: Louder Now supplies a nice variety of sound, many of which are worthy of praise. One of the highlight tracks, Spin, demonstrates a heavier sound than previously heard from TBS. An acoustic track called Divine Intervention goes beyond the "token acoustic" sounds, providing a surprisingly enjoyable track. Overall, there's a pretty wide range when it comes to the tracks on this album. Personally, this comes as a triumph to me. I never feel like TBS is trying to hard to make a song work, nor do I ever think I'm listening to a different band. The amount of growth in this album becomes very distinct, and definetly worth checking out. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are a step up from WYWB's and overall they're more of what you'd expect from TBS. What I would say really makes the album's lyrics work well though, is Adam's voice. The range he has in his vocals in awesome. Listen to Spin one time and you'll know exactly what I mean. The honesty in his voice throws mounds of emotion into the lyrics. Great overall. // 8

Overall Impression: Louder Now produces a different CD than any of their others. I think what many people need to do is get past the fact that this CD not going to be another Tell All Your Friends. Bands evolve, and in this case, TBS has done that. I was very impressed with this CD and the range that it supplied to its listeners. For those who maybe lost faith in the band after their sophmore release, give this album a listen, you won't be dissapointed. // 9

Louder Now Reviewed by: under_dose, on june 03, 2006

Sound: Within a week of listening to 'Louder Now', my exact words were "F--k me how this band have grown!" Their songs not only seem stronger but more raw and heavier (hence the albulm name). Their past to Lp's "Tell All Your Friends" and "Where You Want To Be", were the gradual musical progressions of T.B.S. Through "Louder Now", we can witness a band who have truely found their sound, and have perfected it to the maximum. With such tracks as "Liar (it takes one to know one)", and "Up Against (Blackout)", the albulm is already infectious, with their catchy melodies and songwriting, and the re-recording of "Error Operator", brings this catchy melody to a whole new level of ass kicking. The last song which draws the albulm to epic close "I'll Let You Live", sees Eddie Reyes and Fred opt for a Mars Volta-esq sound, with the echoing clean guitar effects in the pre-chorus, and unlikley influence for the long island Rockers. Adam Lazzara and lead guitarist Fred Mascherino, have outstanding chemistry with their share of the vocals, and both guitarists Eddie Reyes and Fred have augmented their riffage to the full. The riffs are less textbook generic punk rock, a style wich can be witnessed with "Tell All Your Friends", instead they've managed to come up with screeching solos, such as the one demonstrated in "Miami", a melow rock anthem, with a suprising solo towards the end of the epic masterpiece. Two years ago, when "where you want to be", hit the shops worldwide, I could tell T.B.S had progressed their sound, though it seems with their current debut albulm "Louder Now", the sound has only become a huge amount better, more structured albulm, in contrast to "Where You Want To Be". // 10

Lyrics: Adam Lazzara, seems to easily portray the young, cocky mannor, needed by every frontman, but demonstrates this mannor as if he was born with it, instead of putting it on where it becomes agonisingly painful (Wil Francis of Aiden). Fred Mascherino, sings more on this albulm, which suggests that he and Adam have both been contributing to the lyrics, to help generate the remedy needed to display the catchy infectious lyrics of T.B.S. // 9

Overall Impression: To conlude, I can ensurely advise anyone to try this albulm out, even if T.B.S may not be your "thing", I'm convinced their's something for everyone in the LP. With "Louder Now", Taking Back Sunday, can finally get out there to introduce their sound to the masses and, more importantly, tour their ass off to proceed with world domination! A token which if they manage to grasp, would be well-deserved. // 10

Louder Now Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2006

Sound: My first impression of this album was that it was horrible. The first time I heard it, I was just in Awe at how much TBS went south on their Major Label Debut. Then, I listened to it a little louder, and paid attention to all the little things on the album, and absolutely fell in love with it. This album is amazing. Not as good as Tell All Your Friends, but you have to take it for what it is. It is a very good album. I think they strayed just slightly from their normal sound, probably because of the Major Label. Overall though, it is a very impressing CD. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as good as they could be. They have some really good 1 liners like "I'm an addict for dramatics, I confuse the two for love" and "You're so sensitive, I am, I am a machine" But overall, the lyrics lack the amazingness of other TBS lyrics. Sometimes, it gets really repetitive, but it's not always annoying. The songs also seem to go nowhere. If you listen to the lyrics, especially in a song like "Twenty Twenty Surgery" you'll find out that the lyrics just seem like lines thrown together. They don't really tell a story like in previous TBS songs. Adam Lazzara is an amazing singer though, and he doesn't dissapoint on this album. Neither does Fred. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is good. Very good. But I can't get my head around how much some of the songs sound like other bands. The intro to "Error Operator"sounds almost exactly like the intro to Senses Fail's Martini Kiss. The intro to "Miami" sounds like something straight out of Nirvana or Weezer. And the intros to "Twenty Twenty Surgery" and "I'll Let You Live" sound like something straight out of Weezer. I think TBS should have tried a little harder to come up with more original stuff like their first 2 CDs, but overall I do love this album. It is an amazing album. If it were lost, I'd probably buy 2 more. It's a wonderful CD. // 8

Louder Now Reviewed by: fox69, on june 19, 2006

Sound: This was my 1st TBS album, but I was pretty familiar with their music to begin with. Louder Now is an absolutely awesome CD and TBS have become one of my favorites because of this album. With this being their major label debut, the quality of every song is great, and the whole band sounds awsume. The guitars roar and the bass really stands out while the drums meld perfectly with each songs beat. I also like how much emotion seems to be put into each song. // 10

Lyrics: The lead singer's vocals are actually very impressive. He has quite a bit of talent and his voice is perfect for the band. The backing vocals are also very well done, except that all they do sometimes is repeat wat the lead singer has already said. Lyrically, the albums pretty good, but not spectacular, with a few chorus' that are just repeated phrases, but the verses are very witty and diverse. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe TBS has turned slightly to the mainstream with this album, but I'm not going to be one who accuses them of selling out, cuz quite simply, they didnt. stand out songs are definetly "MakeDamnSure", "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost", "Liar", "Twenty-Twenty Surgery", "Spin", and "Miami". These are the cream of the crop, but the other songs are by no means bad, they just didnt stick out fer me. I would highly recommend this album, and if I ever lost it, I'd definetly buy it again. // 10

Louder Now Reviewed by: xsv, on may 24, 2007

Sound: I absolutely love Taking Back Sunday's style in this album. It's a little darker and harder than their other cds. I think the story behind this CD is basically the songs are loaded with high octane drums, soaring riffs CD soar more than ever in this CD than in their previous cds. Taking Back Sunday has done it again with another impressive cd. Even though a lot of bands have fallen to a darker side, including Taking Back Sunday, this album relfects their true feelings and lets a little bit of emotion be discovered than in their previous cds. True, Taking Back Sunday fans may love the other styles heard before in 'Tell All You're Friends' and in the sophomore album, 'Where You Want To Be', but quality wise, this CD is a bit more impressive on the guitar parts. The power chords are more broad and nothing too specific. Fred's lead guitar on such songs as spin, miami, and error: operator are just examples and fragments of what this band is capable of doing. Matt's fast bass picking gives an influence with slides and bends heard on I'll Let You Live and Up Against. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are nice except some words are repeated a lot. such as "Twenty Twenty Sugery", "Liar", "Miami", "Up Against", and a lot of their songs that seem to repeat some lyrics over and over. Adam's vocal quality isnt the best, and sometimes hard to understand, but it gets the job done and I think his voice quality is perfect for the taking back sunday style. His style is addicting and just makes me wonder how he hits those high notes. The lyrics with the back and forth style between Fred and Adam add a unique flavor such as the climatic ending of makedamnsure and the explosive and deep ending to my blue heaven. Fred's screaming is nothing but exceptional, even though he could exercise some notes to add some deeper impact. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this album a lot 'cause I listen to a lot of Fall Out Boy (when they weren't famous), All-American Rejects (when they weren't famous), Relient K, Hawthorne Heights, Sugarcult, Underoath and many others that are fitted in this category. I think the best songs in the CD are "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost", "Liar", "Makedamnsure", "My Blue Heaven", "Twenty Twenty Surgery", "Spin", "Miami", and "Error Operator." If this CD was stolen I'd probably go mad and beat the guy that took my cd. this is such a great cd, I think I might buy another one, just kidding. Also, since the live DVD has been released, I had bought that also, and is nothing but awesome. // 10

More Taking Back Sunday reviews rating latest review